ROCK CLIMBING IS PROHIBITED HERE!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

dthor68

Oct 10, 2010, 3:30 AM
Post #1 of 58 (10756 views)
Shortcut

ROCK CLIMBING IS PROHIBITED HERE!  (North_America: United_States: South_Carolina: Stevens_Creek)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

In recent years security at Stevens Creek Natural Area has greatly increased with volunteers like myself. Anyone caught climbing on the rocks will face fines and charges. If you are climbing on the rocks and see someone taking your picture expect the worse.

whipper

Oct 10, 2010, 4:07 AM
Post #2 of 58 (10726 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dthor68] ROCK CLIMBING IS PROHIBITED HERE! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

Do you actually have a shirt that says "I AM A DOUCHE BAG", or do you just expect people to know?

theguy

Oct 10, 2010, 5:27 AM
Post #3 of 58 (10692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

dthor68 wrote:
If you are climbing on the rocks and see someone taking your picture expect the worse.

Worse than what? Worse than a photo booth? Or just worse than a professional photographer?

I want to understand how bad this photo's going to be so I can properly evaluate the risk.

ebag17

Oct 10, 2010, 5:36 AM
Post #4 of 58 (10688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Child predator?

-G

socalclimber

Oct 10, 2010, 12:04 PM
Post #5 of 58 (10621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So, does anybody here know anything about this Stevens Creek area? Is it private property, a nature conservancy, historical area?

Another thing I find interesting here is that we apparently have a Nazi volunteer. I've been involved with a number of volunteer organizations and there's always a couple who take matters into their own hands.

This person appears to be one of them!

Now, with all that said, if the area is indeed off limits to climbing, DON'T CLIMB THERE. Spread the word. The worst thing that can happen to access issues at the crag is to continue to climb there.

(This post was edited by socalclimber on Oct 10, 2010, 12:26 PM)

patto

Oct 10, 2010, 12:16 PM
Post #6 of 58 (10615 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] ROCK CLIMBING IS PROHIBITED HERE! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

socalclimber wrote:
So, does anybody here know anything about this Stevens Creek area? Is it private property, a nature conservancy, historical area?

It seems to be a nature reserve to protect precious, rare and sensitive flora and fauna.

Sure the presence of people may disurb the natural eco system but how does this apply more to climbers than to volunteer security who take phots?

http://en.wikipedia.org/...ek_Heritage_Preserve

socalclimber

Oct 10, 2010, 12:28 PM
Post #7 of 58 (10612 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] ROCK CLIMBING IS PROHIBITED HERE! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We posted on top of each other while I was editing. Thanks for the link!

(This post was edited by socalclimber on Oct 10, 2010, 12:29 PM)

billl7

Oct 10, 2010, 2:02 PM
Post #8 of 58 (10572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are the boundaries of the area are well marked with the restrictions? Many climbers want to adhere to restrictions. Hopefully, the land owners can meet us part way.

dan2see

Oct 10, 2010, 2:39 PM
Post #9 of 58 (10544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dthor68 wrote:
In recent years security at Stevens Creek Natural Area has greatly increased with volunteers like myself. Anyone caught climbing on the rocks will face fines and charges. If you are climbing on the rocks and see someone taking your picture expect the worse.

What the hell is "security"? Do you have the authority to arrest people on the trail, or off it?

What is this "recent years"? Is there a date that anybody should know about?

Why are you a "volunteer"? Does this mean the your county won't assign police to the area? Or does it mean that you yourself have some kind of interest in this area?

(This post was edited by dan2see on Oct 10, 2010, 2:40 PM)

dingus

Oct 10, 2010, 2:43 PM
Post #10 of 58 (10536 views)
Shortcut

Re: ROCK CLIMBING IS PROHIBITED HERE! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd climb there anyway. Fuck security. And Fuck Barney Fife Troll Volunteers.

DMT

ps. I meant TRAIL, of COURSE!

(This post was edited by dingus on Oct 10, 2010, 2:43 PM)

marc801

Oct 10, 2010, 2:45 PM
Post #11 of 58 (10534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dthor68 wrote:
At any point in your life have you ever heard anything about bulls in china shops or something about flies and honey and vinegar?

In situations like this, one has the choice of offering a reasonable explanation of the situation and a request to not climb or deliver blustery proclamations like a shithead on a power trip. Which did you choose?

dan2see

Oct 10, 2010, 2:54 PM
Post #12 of 58 (10528 views)
Shortcut

Re: [whipper] ROCK CLIMBING IS PROHIBITED HERE! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

whipper wrote:
Do you actually have a shirt that says "I AM A DOUCHE BAG", or do you just expect people to know?

This guy "dthor68" registered himself with rc.com yesterday (Friday) for the sole purpose of posting his warning. He didn't bother to introduce himself, and he didn't bother to explain the need for his post.

RC.com is an international forum with thousands members. Climbers from all over the USA, Europe, Asia, and everywhere else are clicking the title "Prohibited" to see what's happening. While I write this post, I see that 210 250 members have already looked at Thor's warning. Some of them might wonder what the problem is. So far, 8 10 of us have responded, to express doubt or confusion.

So, Mr. Thor (or what-ever you name is) you really have earned the title "DOUCHE BAG" from Whipper! And the rest of us.

Man up! Explain yourself! Try telling us something, instead of spraying at us.

(Edit to increase the "view" count from 210 to 250, and the "responded" count from 8 to 10.)

(This post was edited by dan2see on Oct 10, 2010, 3:17 PM)

rock_fencer

Oct 10, 2010, 4:09 PM
Post #13 of 58 (10472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

while we appreciate your attitude towards protecting the local environment, it would be more prudent to work with the climbing community in SC and together we can maybe properly manage our outdoor resources for the enjoyment of all. If you have any specific questions for the community you can contact the SCC and CCC

http://carolinaclimbers.org/

http://www.seclimbers.org/

As for climbers, Access in SC is really non-existent and some work is being done to remedy this. If you want to climb check out Table Rock State Park. Short season but from what i hear some very committing climbing. I'll post more when i head out there later this month. Otherwise try to respect posted signs etc...

rock_fencer

Oct 10, 2010, 4:11 PM
Post #14 of 58 (10469 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rock_fencer] ROCK CLIMBING IS PROHIBITED HERE! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

on second thought, the DNR website says you can hunt there so fuck it, go climb, its mostly boulders i think seeing as how its on the coast.

dthor68

Oct 10, 2010, 4:12 PM
Post #15 of 58 (10469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

All you internet tough guys!

Have a little respect for what brings you so much joy on the weekends. I imagine 99.9% of you follow the rules. Those of you who responded to this post probally could care less for the plants and animals. Not going to let something so petty stand in your way of making it to the top, right.

This posting is in response to anthony130's photo of him climbing a rock that is off limits to climbing. It is like rubbing salt in an open wound. No, I cant make an arrest. I can photograph the climber and the climbers plates and turn them over to authorities.

I personally have never seen anyone climbing the rock, but others have. There are rare plants and animals that call those rocks home. Have a little respect and share a little. There are many more people who enjoy those plants and animals than people who enjoy climbing. In the end we will win and it will put a stain on rock climbing in general.

I guess you responders are just to tough to be told what to do, to follow the rules. I guess to "man up" goes for all of us. Believe me, I would have no problem confronting any of you face to face on this issue.

dthor68

Oct 10, 2010, 4:18 PM
Post #16 of 58 (10465 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rock_fencer] ROCK CLIMBING IS PROHIBITED HERE! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

rock_fencer wrote:
on second thought, the DNR website says you can hunt there so fuck it, go climb, its mostly boulders i think seeing as how its on the coast.

Yes. And the hunters follow the rules very well. What we need is an open season on climbers!

rock_fencer

Oct 10, 2010, 4:25 PM
Post #17 of 58 (10456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

link to said picture in question, i couldn't find that user name on this site.

As for your generalization, most of us actually thoroughly enjoy all the fauna and flora that you describe as that's what makes the atmosphere in the outdoors so awesome.

But seriously the preserve allows hunting and a variety of other activities, which are entirely more harmful than what little climbing gets done there. While i do not necessarily agree with your view of climbers, i think it would be wise to contact one of the organizations i mentioned above so they can voice your communities concern for protecting this area and we can all work together to preserve our resources.

As it stands there are very few areas for climbers to visit the outdoors in SC, due to unreasonable policies by the DNR.

T

moose_droppings

Oct 10, 2010, 4:25 PM
Post #18 of 58 (10456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dthor68 wrote:
All you internet tough guys!

Have a little respect for what brings you so much joy on the weekends. I imagine 99.9% of you follow the rules. Those of you who responded to this post probally could care less for the plants and animals. Not going to let something so petty stand in your way of making it to the top, right.

This posting is in response to anthony130's photo of him climbing a rock that is off limits to climbing. It is like rubbing salt in an open wound. No, I cant make an arrest. I can photograph the climber and the climbers plates and turn them over to authorities.

I personally have never seen anyone climbing the rock, but others have. There are rare plants and animals that call those rocks home. Have a little respect and share a little. There are many more people who enjoy those plants and animals than people who enjoy climbing. In the end we will win and it will put a stain on rock climbing in general.

I guess you responders are just to tough to be told what to do, to follow the rules. I guess to "man up" goes for all of us. Believe me, I would have no problem confronting any of you face to face on this issue.

It's not the message, it's the way you delivery it that rubs people the wrong way.

This one is a little better than your first try.

(This post was edited by moose_droppings on Oct 10, 2010, 4:26 PM)

squierbypetzl

Oct 10, 2010, 4:29 PM
Post #19 of 58 (10448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I get where you're coming from, but I strongly encourage you to read Marc's post again:

marc801 wrote:
In situations like this, one has the choice of offering a reasonable explanation of the situation and a request to not climb or deliver blustery proclamations like a shithead on a power trip. Which did you choose?

Meaning you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. It makes more sense for you to appeal to peoples rational side about preserving rare plants and animals, than to taunt them into daring to break the rules just to spite you.

And please be careful with what you post, those who threaten violence quickly find themselves banned.

Finally, good on you for having a heart and the stones to go out and stand up for your ideals, but don't forget to use your brain to keep your ego out of the equation.

rock_fencer

Oct 10, 2010, 4:31 PM
Post #20 of 58 (10446 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

found the pictures, what a sad place to climb, i almost feel for the guy. Looks almost as bad as florida.

Seriously though if this is a recurring issue working with local climbing clubs, rock climbing gyms, and the two organizations i mentioned will be more effective than giving a trespassing ticket to some idiot boulderer.

Maybe signage describing the benefits of these rare plants and why they are improtant to the ecosystem would be good as well.

But bitching on here isnt going to do anything except rile up our community and make people more aware that there is some crappy rock there to climb.

my 2 cents
T

ubu

Oct 10, 2010, 4:31 PM
Post #21 of 58 (10445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dthor68 wrote:
I imagine 99.9% of you follow the rules.

So you're making an ass out of yourself in an attempt to reach 0.1% of the climbing population?

dthor68 wrote:
I personally have never seen anyone climbing the rock, but others have.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

dthor68 wrote:

Man up? Fuck it, just grow up. You sound like a whiney 5-yr old who doesn't understand how to engage in dialog, and after running their voice hoarse shouting about their narrow point of view, not hearing any of the reasonable and measured comments from others, can only respond with a threat.

Have fun with your crusade.

jamatt

Oct 10, 2010, 4:45 PM
Post #22 of 58 (10421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://carhart.wilderness.net/docs/manuals/waappg.pdf

(This post was edited by jamatt on Oct 10, 2010, 4:46 PM)

dthor68

Oct 10, 2010, 4:51 PM
Post #23 of 58 (10416 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ubu] ROCK CLIMBING IS PROHIBITED HERE! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ubu wrote:
dthor68 wrote:

So you're making an ass out of yourself in an attempt to reach 0.1% of the climbing population?

dthor68 wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

dthor68 wrote:

Man up? Fuck it, just grow up. You sound like a whiney 5-yr old who doesn't understand how to engage in dialog, and after running their voice hoarse shouting about their narrow point of view, not hearing any of the reasonable and measured comments from others, can only respond with a threat.

Climbing all those little rocks got you feeling tough! I see from this post you understand how to engage in dialog.

I would love to stay here and fight with you all, but I have a life. So, good luck to all you weekend destroyers.

timm

Oct 10, 2010, 4:54 PM
Post #24 of 58 (10413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dthor68 wrote:
Those of you who responded to this post probally could care less for the plants and animals.

dthor68 wrote:
rock_fencer wrote:

Yes. And the hunters follow the rules very well. What we need is an open season on climbers!

So you are telling us that hunters, who are there to kill, have respect for animals. Whereas climbers, who are there to climb and generally enjoy nature, do not respect the animals ??

That's some sick twisted power-trip logic.

[spelling edit]

(This post was edited by timm on Oct 10, 2010, 4:55 PM)

ubu

Oct 10, 2010, 5:07 PM
Post #25 of 58 (10389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dthor68 wrote:
ubu wrote:
dthor68 wrote:

dthor68 wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

dthor68 wrote:

Climbing all those little rocks got you feeling tough! I see from this post you understand how to engage in dialog.

I would love to stay here and fight with you all, but I have a life. So, good luck to all you weekend destroyers.

How did you go from 0.1% of climbers not following the rules, to "all you weekend destroyers"?

Derek, you should seriously step back from this and think about the tone of your initial & follow-on posts. Just a friendly suggestion.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook