Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cruxstacean

Nov 3, 2010, 12:21 AM
Post #26 of 49 (1226 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] climber's code of ethic and rules [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
I learned in driver's ed that you should always pass oncoming on the right and slow-moving on the left.

What if they're slow moving and oncoming?

Jay

Pass them on the right, slow down, then pass them again on the left - just to be on the sure side.

Alterntively, you can try a head on collision, but actually passing is unlikely. Remember to fasten your seat belt with a locking biner...

bill413

Nov 3, 2010, 12:40 AM
Post #27 of 49 (1219 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cruxstacean] climber's code of ethic and rules [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cruxstacean wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
I learned in driver's ed that you should always pass oncoming on the right and slow-moving on the left.

What if they're slow moving and oncoming?

Jay

Pass them on the right, slow down, then pass them again on the left - just to be on the sure side.

Alterntively, you can try a head on collision, but actually passing is unlikely. Remember to fasten your seat belt with a locking biner...

2. For redundancy.

Partner j_ung

Nov 3, 2010, 1:19 PM
Post #28 of 49 (1182 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] climber's code of ethic and rules [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
I just give the faster moving hiker the right of way, uphill, downhill, ect.

how about allowing faster rapping party to use your rope to rap while you are waiting for your team members to reach the rap station ?

No, I would make them wait, my ropes clogging the rappel, until all of my peeps are there and we're out of the way. Wink

olderic

Nov 3, 2010, 2:11 PM
Post #29 of 49 (1170 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] climber's code of ethics and rules [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Does anyone see the irony of the rants about the "I was here first so I get to climb or rap first no matter how slow I am and competent you are" being in the same thread as the "get out of the left lane and let us competent faster people pass" rants.

Whether you are climbing or driving if you are being overtaken by someone faster - get out of the way - I don't want to hear your whines about only moving aside after every last member of my party is tucked safely in beddie bye.

sp115

Nov 3, 2010, 2:26 PM
Post #30 of 49 (1161 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] climber's code of ethics and rules [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe I was the only one who mentioned first to the climb has right of way, but it was neither a rant nor did I claim I wouldn't let anyone pass, in fact I stated the exact opposite.

And as far as the post above, I believe it was facetious...

Partner devkrev

Nov 3, 2010, 2:31 PM
Post #31 of 49 (1159 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

When two climbers duel in hand to hand combat to the death, whoever wins takes care of the loser's family and possessions, as well as claiming any water recovered in the deathstill for themselves.

bill413

Nov 3, 2010, 2:38 PM
Post #32 of 49 (1152 views)
Shortcut

Re: [devkrev] climber's code of ethics and rules [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

devkrev wrote:
When two climbers duel in hand to hand combat to the death, whoever wins takes care of the loser's family and possessions, as well as claiming any water recovered in the deathstill for themselves.

Are you implying that the Gunks millipedes will get even larger?

(This post was edited by bill413 on Nov 3, 2010, 2:39 PM)

airscape

Nov 3, 2010, 2:43 PM
Post #33 of 49 (1145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

If they are small and meek I usually just tell them to Get the fuck out of the way.

spikeddem

Nov 3, 2010, 3:23 PM
Post #34 of 49 (1130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
Does anyone see the irony of the rants about the "I was here first so I get to climb or rap first no matter how slow I am and competent you are" being in the same thread as the "get out of the left lane and let us competent faster people pass" rants.

Whether you are climbing or driving if you are being overtaken by someone faster - get out of the way - I don't want to hear your whines about only moving aside after every last member of my party is tucked safely in beddie bye.

There are other climbs to be had at a crag. This thread is specifically about one lane, two direction traffic.

hyhuu

Nov 3, 2010, 3:48 PM
Post #35 of 49 (1122 views)
Shortcut

Re: [seatbeltpants] climber's code of ethic and rules [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

seatbeltpants wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
Going up hill is always harder than moving down hill especially with a heavy pack so I do not see how it would to beneficiary to a hiker who is on the move like a locomotive to pull over, cool off and try to restart again.

i'm all in favour of stepping aside and lettng others pass regardless of direction, but the justification here seems a bit silly to me. when you're hiking uphill do you really have any momentum to maintain? really?

people talk about maintaining momentum when climbing (as in rock climbing) as well, which never really stuck me as realistic. you might have momentum when you're swinging from hold to hold on monkey bars, but anywhere else, aside from "psychological momentum"? nah, surely not.

though i may be wrong...

I don't think momentum is the right word. I think people are talking about rhythm in the zone when one is working hard. For me, once I'm in the zone where I found the right rhythm for breathing and stepping, I can keep going for a long time. But if I have to stop and start again, it felt more work for me as if the energy just seems to dissipate shortly after I stop moving. As I get older, it seems much more noticeable.

Regarding climbing, the rhythm thing also apply but momentum does have specific meaning/application in movement, techniques, etc. Many others on this board are very knowledgeable on the subject.

olderic

Nov 3, 2010, 3:51 PM
Post #36 of 49 (1121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] climber's code of ethics and rules [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah but the analogy continues with the one lane scenerio. The gumbies learn their habits at crags with "lots of routes" - Gunks for example. And are encouraged to "take their time, be careful, you are here first". Just like the gumby drivers are on the Interstates.

Then the gumbies of both types get a little more experience - want to try an alpine route or drive their RV to Tioga pass. Because they never learned that it is polite to move over for faster parties - in fact have been coddled with the "you were here first mentality" - they don't move over,

majid_sabet

Nov 3, 2010, 5:19 PM
Post #37 of 49 (1100 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] climber's code of ethic and rules [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
chadnsc wrote:

how about allowing faster rapping party to use your rope to rap while you are waiting for your team members to reach the rap station ?

No, I would make them wait, my ropes clogging the rappel, until all of my peeps are there and we're out of the way. Wink

I would call that selfish cause if I am waiting for one from my party to arrive, I do not want to keep other people waiting creating CF on the wall. Recently in Teton, I allow a faster moving party to ascent right next to us (on a very thin ledge) cause my partner was slowing down everyone behind him. On the next pitch, I asked the same party if they could leave their gear so we could clip cause I was short on cams and they left their stuff for us. At the end, we both bailed out due to moving storm but it worked out pretty well.

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Nov 3, 2010, 5:20 PM)

milesenoell

Nov 3, 2010, 6:02 PM
Post #38 of 49 (1079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
Ah but the analogy continues with the one lane scenerio. The gumbies learn their habits at crags with "lots of routes" - Gunks for example. And are encouraged to "take their time, be careful, you are here first". Just like the gumby drivers are on the Interstates.

Then the gumbies of both types get a little more experience - want to try an alpine route or drive their RV to Tioga pass. Because they never learned that it is polite to move over for faster parties - in fact have been coddled with the "you were here first mentality" - they don't move over,

Whatever causes people to act like this, I'm getting to a point where I just want to slap the shit out of them.

Partner happiegrrrl

Nov 3, 2010, 6:36 PM
Post #39 of 49 (1066 views)
Shortcut

Re: [milesenoell] climber's code of ethics and rules [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Some etiquette standards I learned:
- If there is an item, be it as small as a fuel cannister placed in a campsite, that means the site IS taken.

Don't be a jerk and assume that because the campground tag isn't clearly visible that you can snag the site out form under someone. The tag may have blown away, the camper may have forgotten to put it out, or didn't have correct change to deposit funds into the self-pay, or any number(yes - any number!) of things. But if there is stuff in the site - that site ain't yours for the taking.

- Don't yardsale your gear all over the trail at a crag's cliff base. In fact, don't yardsale it OFF the trail either.

- The second takes the rope tarp away from the climb's start, and puts it(along with leader's approach shoes if they left them at the start) away by the packs.

blueeyedclimber

Nov 3, 2010, 6:55 PM
Post #40 of 49 (1057 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All you need to know about ethics, morals, and respectful behavior, in general, you learn between the ages of 3-6. If you come out of preschool being a respectful human being then chances are you will relay that to every facet of your life. If you don't, then chances are that people will bitch about you on internet forum later in life.

Josh

roninthorne

Nov 3, 2010, 7:18 PM
Post #41 of 49 (1041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbers' code of ethics...

1. What are ethics?

Partner j_ung

Nov 3, 2010, 7:18 PM
Post #42 of 49 (1040 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] climber's code of ethic and rules [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
j_ung wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
chadnsc wrote:

I would call that selfish cause if I am waiting for one from my party to arrive, I do not want to keep other people waiting creating CF on the wall. Recently in Teton, I allow a faster moving party to ascent right next to us (on a very thin ledge) cause my partner was slowing down everyone behind him. On the next pitch, I asked the same party if they could leave their gear so we could clip cause I was short on cams and they left their stuff for us. At the end, we both bailed out due to moving storm but it worked out pretty well.

Calibrate your sarcasm meter! Tongue

roninthorne

Nov 3, 2010, 7:23 PM
Post #43 of 49 (1034 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roninthorne] climber's code of ethics and rules [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Oh, wait, I remember, now...

1. If I'm doing it, it's ethical, if anyone else is, and they ain't in my posse, then it ain't...

2. If my dog is at the crag, of course it's a good crag dog...

3. Red tags mean me and all my way-honed homies should work that line alllll day so we can get our onsight...

4. ANYTHING left on a cliff is booty... even if there is a moaning, bleeding climber still attached to the rope at the base...

Partner j_ung

Nov 5, 2010, 12:46 PM
Post #44 of 49 (952 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roninthorne] climber's code of ethics and rules [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

roninthorne wrote:
4. ANYTHING left on a cliff is booty... even if there is a moaning, bleeding climber still attached to the rope at the base...

Laugh Speaking of which, anybody know when the rainy season is at the Gunks? I need some new gear.

boymeetsrock

Nov 5, 2010, 12:55 PM
Post #45 of 49 (946 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] climber's code of ethics and rules [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
roninthorne wrote:

Laugh Speaking of which, anybody know when the rainy season is at the Gunks? I need some new gear.

Rainy season? What makes you think you need to wait for a rainy season? Laugh

Partner j_ung

Nov 5, 2010, 1:04 PM
Post #46 of 49 (943 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boymeetsrock] climber's code of ethics and rules [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

boymeetsrock wrote:
j_ung wrote:
roninthorne wrote:

I'm hoping for a whole new rack in a weekend. Cool

bill413

Nov 5, 2010, 1:37 PM
Post #47 of 49 (933 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
boymeetsrock wrote:
j_ung wrote:
roninthorne wrote:

Spring tends to give the best harvesting.

boymeetsrock

Nov 5, 2010, 2:09 PM
Post #48 of 49 (927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
boymeetsrock wrote:
j_ung wrote:
roninthorne wrote:

Bring an empty sling with you!

Should be great weather this weekend.

mattmaxwell

Nov 5, 2010, 2:19 PM
Post #49 of 49 (918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what about climbers' camping ethics? i've nothing against people having a smashing time, but at a certain point it infringes on others. running around and screaming like pre-schoolers on recess, fireworks, car stereo thumpfests, wandering for a place to puke--blatantly ridiculous, even cause for a punch in the mouth. when you notice neighbors slip into their tent, please be (somewhat) considerate.

[yeah, i'm old and grumpy and a curmudgeon.]

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook