Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
Climbing course, or find an experienced person?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

Werner

Nov 10, 2010, 11:14 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1488 views)
Shortcut

Climbing course, or find an experienced person?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, Im not planing on the whole "YOUR GONA DIEE!!!111!" deal so I'm seeking proper instruction for RC'ing with a Top Rope system. I'm looking up courses in my area, and they are extremely expensive.

http://www.pinnaclesports.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=29_85&products_id=347&osCsid=54b60a8b720f77f041a8f1e442451f17

Ranging up to $300 for a 2 day course. It's not money I have at the moment.
So I'm wondering if I should find someone online or perhaps at a gym or something to take me climbing or teach me the basics for a few bucks. I do not personally know anyone experience in climbing. Advice? what did you all do to get started?

sbaclimber

Nov 10, 2010, 12:10 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1473 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Werner] Climbing course, or find an experienced person? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

If you're in Brisbane, why not try one of the local clubs!?
http://www.brisbanerock.org/
http://www.qutcliffhangers.com/...s_Rock_Climbing_Club

I learned to climb by joining my college's climbing club. Because we only met a couple hours a couple times a week, it took a bit longer to pick up all the basics of belaying (they were very safety conscientious), but I got to climb and it didn't cost me $300.

Oh, and.........YER GONNA DIE! Tongue

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Nov 10, 2010, 12:16 PM)

wrbill

Nov 10, 2010, 12:24 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Edit to make clicke!

http://www.pinnaclesports.com.au/...77f041a8f1e442451f17

Clubs through schools are a great way to learn. If your not in school then going to a gym and meeting people that have been climbing outside and that you feel are safe. The best thing is to ask question as to why it is done that way and if they give you a answer like "that is the way I learned" and can not explain why it is done that way then you might want to question what they know.

They way that I got in to climbing was through a coworker that had been climbing for five plus years. Plus reading books and meeting more people and learning more from them.

Good luck in your search and be safe. If it does not look right then chances are it is not!!!!

(This post was edited by wrbill on Nov 10, 2010, 12:25 PM)

granite_grrl

Nov 10, 2010, 12:35 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1455 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Werner wrote:
So, Im not planing on the whole "YOUR GONA DIEE!!!111!" deal so I'm seeking proper instruction for RC'ing with a Top Rope system. I'm looking up courses in my area, and they are extremely expensive.

http://www.pinnaclesports.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=29_85&products_id=347&osCsid=54b60a8b720f77f041a8f1e442451f17

Ranging up to $300 for a 2 day course. It's not money I have at the moment.
So I'm wondering if I should find someone online or perhaps at a gym or something to take me climbing or teach me the basics for a few bucks. I do not personally know anyone experience in climbing. Advice? what did you all do to get started?
It seems a little expensive for a course, but if you can't find someone to learn from a course like this might be the best option to get you out there.

Winter is almost here (assuming you live someplace with a real winter). If after a winter season in the gym you still haven't met people who are experienced enough and want to take you out, then maybe reconsider taking the course.

sbaclimber

Nov 10, 2010, 1:09 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1435 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Climbing course, or find an experienced person? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
Winter is almost here (assuming you live someplace with a real winter).
I think he/she's in Oz... Tongue

ClimbSoHigh

Nov 10, 2010, 6:33 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1381 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Climbing course, or find an experienced person? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You could always go climb and not fall... anchors and ropes are only for people who fall! :P

Honestly though, go to a club or a gym and offer an experienced climber a six pack or a bottle of wine to show you the ropes, most climbers will do a lot for booze.

TarHeelEMT

Nov 11, 2010, 12:53 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Working with an experienced partner is probably the best way to learn to climb, but it's a bit of a catch 22 in that you're in no position to evaluate whether or not someone truly is experienced and worth listening to. Keep a high index of suspicion if you go that route. It's how I learned, but I got really luck with my trad mentor.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook