RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

oldandintheway

Nov 18, 2002, 6:27 PM
Post #1 of 11 (2037 views)
Shortcut

Friends of Mt. Rubidoux
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Heard there was a meeting scheduled this week to discuss a variety of issues. Do any of the So Cal crew have a phone number or e-mail addy for more info? Tried 411 for Riverside but no go.

Partner rrrADAM

Nov 18, 2002, 6:45 PM
Post #2 of 11 (2037 views)
Shortcut

Friends of Mt. Rubidoux [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Did a google.com search and found nothing. Sorry my friend from just across the 91 FWY.

oldandintheway

Nov 19, 2002, 12:48 AM
Post #3 of 11 (2037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Called Riverside Parks and Recreation but no luck there either. Anyone?

roughster

Nov 25, 2002, 10:17 AM
Post #4 of 11 (2037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did you try the access fund representative for the area? Even if they are not actually a memeber of the organization, they most likely have the contact information.

oldandintheway

Nov 25, 2002, 6:24 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks. Tried but to no avail. I don't think the "Friends" organization has actively sought input or assistance from the climbing community other than posting a few flyers at the site.

flash5twelve

Nov 29, 2002, 3:34 AM
Post #6 of 11 (2037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

www.mt-rubidoux.org

Meetings are every two months on the third Thursday. The next meeting is January 16th.

A family friend and member of the Friends of Mt. Rubidoux was recently asking me for some info on climbing and climbers there because there is no info on their website about climbing. He is curious about the city's position on climbing there. He suspects that it is technically not legal due to liability concerns, but that the city turns their head to the issue. It would be interesting to find out what their position is.

Greg

curt

Dec 14, 2002, 1:58 AM
Post #7 of 11 (2037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So what is the issue with Mt. Rubidoux currently? I used to boulder there a lot in the early 80s, and it seems to me that climbing had always been allowed there. Are they threatening to close the place to climbing now? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I couldn't figure out the present issues from this thread.

Curt

flash5twelve

Dec 14, 2002, 3:22 AM
Post #8 of 11 (2037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think there is an issue. My comment about the questionable legality of climbing at Rubidoux was raised by a friend. He was looking at the list of activites at Mt. Rubidoux on the "Friends of . . " website, and saw that climbing was not represented. His thought was that the city of Riverside probably has a rule against it, but that they turn their heads to it's presence to avoid concerns about liability. This is just speculation on his part; he is not a climber.

There is a long and rich history of climbing at Mt. Rubidoux, and I feel that it would be a good idea if climbers showed up at the Friends of Mt. Rubidoux (FOMR) meetings to show our support, and to have our interests heard. From what I understand, the majority of FOMR members are elderly residents of the immediate neighborhood surrounding the mountain. If they are the only liason between the public and the City Park Department, then. . . *shudder*

oldandintheway

Dec 15, 2002, 5:38 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Flash is right. Currently, there is no representation from climbers during any discussions. My original intention was to see if anyone form the climbing communtiy had ever been involved with this group and what, if any concerns had been raised.

The area used to have problems with litter, drug traffic and some crime but when the access road to the top was closed the problems dropped dramatically. Basically the idiots found a new place to screw up. Some of the current issues are with homeless starting to encamp there, litter, and hillside erosion from people (mostly climbers) cutting trails down the hillside.

Thanks again Flash, I'll be making an effort to stay current. If anybody else is interested in getting involved to represent the climbing community BEFORE access becomes an issue PM me and we can put something together.

Eric

BTW thanks for the link and PM

flash5twelve

Dec 22, 2002, 9:32 PM
Post #10 of 11 (2037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:Some of the current issues are with homeless starting to encamp there, litter, and hillside erosion from people (mostly climbers) cutting trails down the hillside.

We usually bring little bags with us to pick up trash when we're bouldering -- one time, my bro carried a rake up the hill and cleaned up all the glass at the Beehive.

I agree that erosion is a problem there, but I don't see climbers as the main cause. Sure, we contribute (who else is walking to a random boulder halfway down the hill), but I see so many people (kids and adults) cutting swichbacks or just crashing straight down the hill. I'm also seeing a lot more mountain bikes on and off the trails.

Fire and drought has really been hard on the mountain over the past few years as well. Maybe this El Nino, if it doesn't wash the hill away, will help to revegetate a lot of the mountain and cover up some of the use trails.

oldandintheway

Dec 23, 2002, 6:24 PM
Post #11 of 11 (2037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the correction. Bit presumptious on my part, my bad.

Good on you guys for picking up trash. My partners and I do the same. May go up there this weekend with some CA wildflower seeds.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook