RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

gumbe

Nov 13, 2010, 6:55 PM
Post #1 of 12 (1178 views)
Shortcut

jtree or indian creek???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I know both areas offer differant types of climbing, I want to spend a few weeks dirtbagging it at one or the other, and I'm heading down in a day or two.
Anyone know if it's easier to car camp (with dog) at jtree or indian creek? is either one generally cheaper? quality of living? i'll be solo too, and want to meet some people, but i also want to solo top rope a bunch...

much thanks

(This post was edited by gumbe on Nov 13, 2010, 6:57 PM)

crazy_fingers84

Nov 13, 2010, 9:09 PM
Post #2 of 12 (1145 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gumbe] jtree or indian creek??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

what does your rack look like?

i think it would be difficult to set up tr at indian creek without leading it first... never been to jtree.

gumbe

Nov 13, 2010, 9:14 PM
Post #3 of 12 (1140 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crazy_fingers84] jtree or indian creek??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks crazyfingers, i got a slim rack... is it common ethic/practice to ask a party as they are leaving/pulling their rope to tape your rope to theirs, and pull it through?

crazy_fingers84

Nov 13, 2010, 9:18 PM
Post #4 of 12 (1137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you could probably make that happen...

i'll be at the creek on monday, staying at creek pasture. green jimmy with ohio plates. i'll give you a catch if you need one.

irregularpanda

Nov 13, 2010, 10:15 PM
Post #5 of 12 (1125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Life at J-tree:
Super easy to meet up with people for camping, food, climbing, ropes etc. One of the friendliest places I've ever been. It would be more easy to rope solo there than at the creek.
Down side: it's a national park, so you probably won't be able to bring your dog. Contact the park directly to be sure.
It costs $ to camp and enter the park, but if that's no big deal for you then you'd be fine.

The creek: Easy to bring a dog as long as the dog is well-behaved. Great climbing, free camping, lots of people to meet. In my experience people there already have friends they are meeting, and therefore usually don't need to buddy up with someone. This might be different for you though.
Cons: Driving is a constant, to get to the crag and back to the campground. Camping is primitive, bring a shovel to poop, bring plenty of water, etc. Maybe you could meet up with random partners, and maybe not.

areyoumydude

Nov 14, 2010, 12:47 AM
Post #6 of 12 (1096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gumbe wrote:
I know both areas offer differant types of climbing, I want to spend a few weeks dirtbagging it at one or the other, and I'm heading down in a day or two.
Anyone know if it's easier to car camp (with dog) at jtree or indian creek? is either one generally cheaper? quality of living? i'll be solo too, and want to meet some people, but i also want to solo top rope a bunch...

much thanks

Dogs in J tree can be an issue. Indian Creek is dog friendly but it is already getting pretty cold there at night. J-tree is definitely a warmer choice. Cochise Strongehold is a good alternative. Warm like Josh and dog friendly, although finding a partner there might be an problem.

socalclimber

Nov 14, 2010, 1:54 AM
Post #7 of 12 (1081 views)
Shortcut

Re: [areyoumydude] jtree or indian creek??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dogs are a definite NO NO here. You cannot have a dog farther the 100 feet from parking, picnic areas, or camp sites. You are just begging for a ticket. With your rack being on the slim side, Josh is your better bet, sans dog.

jcrew

Nov 14, 2010, 2:36 AM
Post #8 of 12 (1068 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] jtree or indian creek??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you gumbe,

i know some quality josh-like climbing an hour north of yucca valley that is wide open and free. shoot me a message and i'll show you the place....5 star hotsprings in the area as well.

socalclimber

Nov 14, 2010, 2:46 AM
Post #9 of 12 (1063 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jcrew] jtree or indian creek??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jcrew wrote:
you gumbe,

i know some quality josh-like climbing an hour north of yucca valley that is wide open and free. shoot me a message and i'll show you the place....5 star hotsprings in the area as well.

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

gumbe

Nov 14, 2010, 8:16 PM
Post #10 of 12 (993 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] jtree or indian creek??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks all for the info.

i'm delayed a day or two, i called jtnp and they said i could leave my dog in my truck shell if its well ventilated and with water.

i'm not into pay camping, all i need is a pullout on a backroad or something to sleep in my truck, i wonder which place would offer less of a commute between crag and nearest carcamp pullout.

does jtree offer plenty of crack/splitter climbing?

(This post was edited by gumbe on Nov 14, 2010, 8:17 PM)

texplorer

Nov 15, 2010, 8:38 AM
Post #11 of 12 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In my experience you are not going to be able to do the "pull over on the side of the road" thing in J-tree. While Indian Creek has changed there are some options for this.

While J-tree does have some splitters, comparing it to the place that has more splitters than anywhere else in the world is not a good comparison.

donald949

Nov 15, 2010, 6:21 PM
Post #12 of 12 (907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gumbe wrote:
thanks all for the info.

i'm delayed a day or two, i called jtnp and they said i could leave my dog in my truck shell if its well ventilated and with water.

i'm not into pay camping, all i need is a pullout on a backroad or something to sleep in my truck, i wonder which place would offer less of a commute between crag and nearest carcamp pullout.

does jtree offer plenty of crack/splitter climbing?
You have the info on Dogs in NP's, they are a concern.
I'm not a splitter climber and never been to IC, but I wouldn't describe the cracks at Jtree as splitters.
There is free camping at JTree, actually outside the park on BLM land. Hit the JTree NP website for camping and goto overflow camping to get the 411.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook