Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

chrberni

Nov 14, 2010, 2:36 PM
Post #1 of 68 (7315 views)
Shortcut

Muti-pitch belayer anchoring
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, recently I took a nice lead fall and my poor belayer who hadn't tied themselves down was yanked up into the rock and got just a little banged up. Luckily for me, she held fast with her brake hand and kept me from decking. phew... So the obvious lesson there is to tie the belayer down to a tree/boulder/whatever especially when the climber is much bigger, as was the case in our situation.

so, fine, we got that...

Now my question has to do with this same situation, but on a multi-pitch climb, at a typical 2-ring belay station. There isn't a tree/boulder/whatever around to tie oneself to when belaying. If that same fall were to take place in that situation, the belayer would be yanked up into the anchor in what could be a violent collision of rings, carabiners, belay device, and hands. The situation is possibly made worse by the lack of stretch of the slings being used to tie the belayer to the rings. This seems like serious potential for belayer and climber injury.

How is safety achieved in this situation?

Thanks.

redlude97

Nov 14, 2010, 2:49 PM
Post #2 of 68 (7307 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chrberni] Muti-pitch belayer anchoring [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

yer gonna die...

Partner j_ung

Nov 14, 2010, 3:01 PM
Post #3 of 68 (7299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chrberni wrote:
So, recently I took a nice lead fall and my poor belayer who hadn't tied themselves down was yanked up into the rock and got just a little banged up. Luckily for me, she held fast with her brake hand and kept me from decking. phew... So the obvious lesson there is to tie the belayer down to a tree/boulder/whatever especially when the climber is much bigger, as was the case in our situation.

so, fine, we got that...

Now my question has to do with this same situation, but on a multi-pitch climb, at a typical 2-ring belay station. There isn't a tree/boulder/whatever around to tie oneself to when belaying. If that same fall were to take place in that situation, the belayer would be yanked up into the anchor in what could be a violent collision of rings, carabiners, belay device, and hands. The situation is possibly made worse by the lack of stretch of the slings being used to tie the belayer to the rings. This seems like serious potential for belayer and climber injury.

Thanks.

Place a piece or two below the anchor to absorb upward pull. (Be sure to attach those to the anchor, not the belayer.) If that simply isn't an option, you might extend the belayer well below the anchor to lessen the fall factor. In either case protect early and often.

JAB

Nov 14, 2010, 4:09 PM
Post #4 of 68 (7275 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Muti-pitch belayer anchoring [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
chrberni wrote:

so, fine, we got that...

Thanks.

Place a piece or two below the anchor to absorb upward pull. (Be sure to attach those to the anchor, not the belayer.) If that simply isn't an option, you might extend the belayer well below the anchor to lessen the fall factor. In either case protect early and often.

Another option, mainly seen in Europe, is to put the belay device on the anchor. This way the force is fully transferred to the anchor instead of the belayer. This requires a bit of training in order to be able to give slack smoothly.

blueeyedclimber

Nov 14, 2010, 4:17 PM
Post #5 of 68 (7266 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Reasons to anchor the belayer:

-Vast weight difference between climber and belayer
-Potential injury to belayer
-Not wanting to extend the fall (especially with hard section right off the belay. This is more important off the ground or off a ledge).
-If you are worried about compromising the anchor should the belayer fly up into it (always trying to build a high anchor will usually eliminate this risk. This ISN'T a risk with a bolted anchor.)

Reasons NOT to anchor:

-belayer being pulled up provides soft catch
-ability of belayer to move makes them a more effective belayer (especially in feeding out slack)
- Being anchored down does not allow belayer to get out of the way in case of rock fall.
-There is NO option of a low piece to anchor belayer down.

That being said, it is your decision and you need to figure what is most important in any given situation. Sometimes it's best NOT to fall. If you are worried about any of the above and you feel that you cannot get the risk to an acceptable level, then maybe it's best to bail.

Also, sometimes your belayer maybe just needs to better prepare themselves for impact, by making sure their body is in a good position to protect themselves. Sometimes they might whack their hip into the wall. The key point is that the belayer must maintain control of the belay at all times, no matter what.

Climb safe.

Josh

majid_sabet

Nov 14, 2010, 4:44 PM
Post #6 of 68 (7243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you have a solid anchor, there is no point of belaying off your harness

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Nov 15, 2010, 4:08 AM)

billl7

Nov 14, 2010, 5:14 PM
Post #7 of 68 (7226 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Muti-pitch belayer anchoring [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
if you a solid anchor, there is no point of belaying off your harness
I prefer to belay off my harness - gives softer catch than off anchor so my leader's top piece is less likely to blow.

blueeyedclimber

Nov 14, 2010, 5:14 PM
Post #8 of 68 (7225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

Bad advice.

Partner rgold

Nov 14, 2010, 9:41 PM
Post #9 of 68 (7170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chrberni wrote:
Thanks.

You seem to be speaking of either multipitch sport climbs or the relative minority of U.S. climbs with bolted belay anchors. I think it is still the case that most U.S. multipitch trad climbs require the party to build its own belay anchors, in which case an upward directional piece may be required for the integrity of the anchor, not to mention for holding down a light belayer. Europe is a different story.

So let's assume that there is no directional placement that will keep the belayer from being lifted.

There is usually nothing terrible about the belayer being pulled up a bit; they might get scratched up a little but that's about it. The one exception is if their is a roof directly over the belayer's head, in which case they absolutely have to be protected somehow from an upward load that would propel their head into the ceiling, and the only thing to do would be to extend the belay anchor enough to make such lifting unlikely.

What is bad in general is if the leader's rope has been clipped to the belay anchor, in which case all the potentially nasty collisions mentioned can happen with even a small amount of belayer lifting. This brings up the question of whether the leaders rope should be clipped this way, and there are whole threads devoted to arguing about this. Of course, various details about the solidity of the anchor and the immediate availability of other protection for the leader affect the decision.

If the leader's rope is not clipped to the anchor and there is not another immediately available protection point for the leader, then the belayer has to be able to hold a factor-two fall onto the belay, something that many of the major manufacturers of belay devices say is not possible but many people who have held such falls say is possible.

In the case of a factor-two fall onto the belay, it is a bad idea to have connected the belayer to the anchor with slings rather than the climbing rope, because the anchor will be subjected to a higher load from the relatively static connecting material. Since, ultimately, one never knows when the worst possible thing will happen, it makes sense to always use the climbing rope as the belayer's attachment to the anchor.

If the belayer does not think they can hold a factor-two fall (but really, in today's non-practicing world, how would they know), and if there is not an immediately available protection point for the leader, then perhaps the best option is for the leader to clip the belay anchor but for the belayer to unclip the leader as soon as other reliable protection has been found.

If the belay anchor consists of two solid bolts, then belaying directly off the anchor is a viable alternative and is common in Europe where such belay stations are becoming the norm. In this country, such belays are viewed as heresy, perhaps because we are still oriented to the use of gear anchors, which are not as reliable as two modern properly placed bolts.

(This post was edited by rgold on Nov 15, 2010, 2:43 AM)

Partner robdotcalm

Nov 14, 2010, 10:39 PM
Post #10 of 68 (7139 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JAB] Muti-pitch belayer anchoring [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

JAB wrote:
Another option, mainly seen in Europe, is to put the belay device on the anchor. This way the force is fully transferred to the anchor instead of the belayer. This requires a bit of training in order to be able to give slack smoothly.

Also, a Munter Hitch is the standard knot for belaying in this case.

rob.calm

jkd159

Nov 14, 2010, 11:27 PM
Post #11 of 68 (7114 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Muti-pitch belayer anchoring [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
What is bad in general is if the leader's rope has been clipped to the belay anchor, in which case all the potentially nasty collisions mentioned can happen with even a small amount of belayer lifting.

Sorry, I don't understand how clipping the rope to the belay anchor increases the chance of any collisions. In a hard fall, the belayer will likely be pulled into the carabiner connecting the rope to the anchor. But does clipping the rope to the anchor increase the chance of the belayer being scraped along the rock or pulled into a roof? Or am I misunderstanding your comment?

It has always seemed to me that extending the belayer below the anchor, and clipping the lead rope to the anchor, is the best solution to prevent a factor 2 fall when there is no good protection at the start of a pitch. Is there a drawback to this technique?

Partner rgold

Nov 14, 2010, 11:31 PM
Post #12 of 68 (7109 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jkd159] Muti-pitch belayer anchoring [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Perhaps I wasn't clear. The "collisions" I had in mind are, first, the belayer's non-braking hand getting pulled into the anchor biner (I know of multiple times when this happened, with mild to severe consequences), and second, the belay device itself smashing into the anchor biner (I don't know about this happening but it is certainly possible and who knows what might happen in such a case).

Extending the belay works when a known high-factor fall is likely---very hard moves off the belay with no protection. But it doesn't help most of the time, because most of the time, people won't have extended the belay and then something unexpected creates a high-factor fall.

(This post was edited by rgold on Nov 15, 2010, 1:57 AM)

clc

Nov 15, 2010, 12:39 AM
Post #13 of 68 (7050 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] Muti-pitch belayer anchoring [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robdotcalm wrote:
JAB wrote:

Also, a Munter Hitch is the standard knot for belaying in this case.

rob.calm

The euro anchors seems like a good idea, but will it ever catch on here in north america.? I've been told that the bolts in some euro areas are placed in a vertical orientation rather than the normal horizontal placements in Canada.

jkd159

Nov 15, 2010, 1:29 AM
Post #14 of 68 (7033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahh, I understand. I hadn't considered injuries to the non-brake hand. It seems like this scenario -- belayer and belay device hitting the first biner the rope runs through -- must happen somewhat often to sport climbers catching whippers on climbs with low first bolts. With even the lowest first bolt several feet away from the belay device, there is more energy expended lifting the belayer than in the case we are looking at with the multipitch belayer being very close to the anchor biner. But still, it probably happens to sport climbers far more frequently than it happens on multipitch climbs. Is this a known hazard for sport climbers? I've always wondered if a grigri would unlock if it were pulled into a biner with enough force since the biner would probably press directly on the cam.

Partner rgold

Nov 15, 2010, 2:15 AM
Post #15 of 68 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clc] Muti-pitch belayer anchoring [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

clc wrote:
The euro anchors seems like a good idea, but will it ever catch on here in north america.? I've been told that the bolts in some euro areas are placed in a vertical orientation rather than the normal horizontal placements in Canada.

I for one hope it never catches on. It dumbs down climbs and removes the commitment factor by making retreat from any point convenient. This loads up climbs with parties who aren't competent enough to build belay anchors and construct rap anchors, parties who either can't do the entire route or who may not even plan to do the entire route. It encourages almost everyone to set out in conditions that would otherwise dictate a lot more prudence.

All these parties will bail at their convenience, creating all kinds of traffic jams for anyone below.

Trad climbs should be protected from creeping sportification. It's not as if there is some terrible shortage of sport climbs.

As for the vertical bolt orientation in Europe, I think it is directly related to belaying off the anchor. If bolts are horizontally situated, the belay device has to be placed on a connecting sling, and then the device or munter biner flies up under load. With the vertically oriented bolts, the belay device can be clipped directly to the lower bolt and so will have a much shorter vertical travel when loaded by a fall.

chrberni

Nov 15, 2010, 2:28 AM
Post #16 of 68 (6999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

First of all - thank you everyone for your thoughts and comments on this thread. I'm still processing many of them... but in the meantime, I would like to specify: I'm thinking, in particular, of routes at Stone Mountain State Park, NC, USA. That's where I do the majority of my multi-pitch climbs.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/North_America/United_States/North_Carolina/Central/Stone_Mountain_State_Park/South_Face/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Mountain_State_Park

So, this is mainly friction face climbing, no features to place pro below the belayer, and double ring belay stations everywhere. The routes at Stone can really expose the leader since oftentimes bolts or features to place pro are like 20 - 50 ft. apart. So wicked whippers are certainly possible in the case of a fall. It has taken me a while to become confident enough to climb here because of the far spaced protection.

Tangent: I see the typical double bolt/ring anchors most everywhere I climb in the region on sport or TR routes. Crowders Mountain, New River Gorge area... On Stone Mountain (the reason for asking the thread) routes are trad and sport mix - at least how we climb them.

(This post was edited by chrberni on Nov 15, 2010, 2:29 AM)

Colinhoglund

Nov 15, 2010, 2:42 AM
Post #17 of 68 (6985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
clc wrote:

I for one hope it never catches on. It dumbs down climbs and removes the commitment factor by making retreat from any point convenient. This loads up climbs with parties who aren't competent enough to build belay anchors and construct rap anchors, parties who either can't do the entire route or who may not even plan to do the entire route. It encourages almost everyone to set out in conditions that would otherwise dictate a lot more prudence.

All these parties will bail at their convenience, creating all kinds of traffic jams for anyone below.

Trad climbs should be protected from creeping sportification. It's not as if there is some terrible shortage of sport climbs.

As for the vertical bolt orientation in Europe, I think it is directly related to belaying off the anchor. If bolts are horizontally situated, the belay device has to be placed on a connecting sling, and then the device or munter biner flies up under load. With the vertically oriented bolts, the belay device can be clipped directly to the lower bolt and so will have a much shorter vertical travel when loaded by a fall.

Once again rGold gives the best advice on the thread. Especially on his previous post.

I think the best follow-up answer to go along with the above is to only climb on a multi with a GOOD belayer. If I whip several pitches off the deck with more than half my rope out, I want to have a belayer that will hold me as long as physically possible (if their knocked unconscious i'll give em a brakeTongue), and self rescue if I'm hurt. If I've done everything possible to keep my falls short, the worst my belayer should get is a good smack from the rock/anchor. (especially if they stay near the anchor, the pull should be mostly upwards) I've taken a few bumps to hold a fall, I expect my belay to do the same.
As well as someone with the ability to do rope rescue. If your 35m out on a 60m and your belayer can't rescue, your only choice is to make the call of shame to SAR.

majid_sabet

Nov 15, 2010, 3:37 AM
Post #18 of 68 (6955 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Muti-pitch belayer anchoring [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Bad advice.

ok, tell me why you think belaying off a 50 kn BFA is a bad idea

bill413

Nov 15, 2010, 3:54 AM
Post #19 of 68 (6943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chrberni wrote:
First of all - thank you everyone for your thoughts and comments on this thread. I'm still processing many of them... but in the meantime, I would like to specify: I'm thinking, in particular, of routes at Stone Mountain State Park, NC, USA. That's where I do the majority of my multi-pitch climbs.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/North_America/United_States/North_Carolina/Central/Stone_Mountain_State_Park/South_Face/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Mountain_State_Park

So, this is mainly friction face climbing, no features to place pro below the belayer, and double ring belay stations everywhere. The routes at Stone can really expose the leader since oftentimes bolts or features to place pro are like 20 - 50 ft. apart. So wicked whippers are certainly possible in the case of a fall. It has taken me a while to become confident enough to climb here because of the far spaced protection.

Tangent: I see the typical double bolt/ring anchors most everywhere I climb in the region on sport or TR routes. Crowders Mountain, New River Gorge area... On Stone Mountain (the reason for asking the thread) routes are trad and sport mix - at least how we climb them.

One thing that rgold frequently advocates is definitely worthy of consideration in this situation: GLOVES, although for a different reason. If the belayer's hand gets sucked up toward a carabiner or the blay device, a glove will decrease the injury & pain potential.

majid_sabet

Nov 15, 2010, 4:06 AM
Post #20 of 68 (6935 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billl7] Muti-pitch belayer anchoring [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billl7 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
I prefer to belay off my harness - gives softer catch than off anchor so my leader's top piece is less likely to blow.

Alright

you are standing on pitch 5 belaying your partner from below some 100 feet away, your gri gri is attached to your belay loop and a 200 pound rock just smacked your partner's head. he is not responding, he is bleeding and you are 200 meter above ground.

your harness is attached to two sling piece anchor and the gri gri is locked pulling your ass down like a modapucker.

how are you going to get off of this and HOW LONG WOULD IT TAKE YOU to get down to assess your partner's situation ?

Here is the image taking by a climbing n00b cross the canyon.

Colinhoglund

Nov 15, 2010, 4:44 AM
Post #21 of 68 (6914 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
billl7 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Alright

you are standing on pitch 5 belaying your partner from below some 100 feet away, your gri gri is attached to your belay loop and a 200 pound rock just smacked your partner's head. he is not responding, he is bleeding and you are 200 meter above ground.

your harness is attached to two sling piece anchor and the gri gri is locked pulling your ass down like a modapucker.

how are you going to get off of this and HOW LONG WOULD IT TAKE YOU to get down to assess your partner's situation ?

[IMG]http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/7149/screenhunter03nov14.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry but if I'm mistaken (and I don't think I am), but Bill is talking about belaying the leader; your picture describes a totally different scenario. I don't think anyone (hopefully) is dumb enough to do what is in your picture.

Though I must say, your diagrams are awesome and helpful, when on topic Wink.

clc

Nov 15, 2010, 5:08 AM
Post #22 of 68 (6907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
billl7 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Alright

I think many climbers still belay 2nds off thier harness like majid picture. Its almost always better to belay the 2nd from the anchor. for single ropes I ususally use a grigri.

Yet the original post is a question for belaying a leader from 2 bolts.

Colinhoglund

Nov 15, 2010, 5:18 AM
Post #23 of 68 (6900 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clc] Muti-pitch belayer anchoring [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clc wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
billl7 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Alright

I think many climbers still belay 2nds off thier harness like majid picture. Its almost always better to belay the 2nd from the anchor. for single ropes I ususally use a grigri.

With a re-direct to the anchor I hope . . .

sp115

Nov 15, 2010, 1:12 PM
Post #24 of 68 (6858 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Colinhoglund] Muti-pitch belayer anchoring [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I think belaying off your harness is a better option under some circumstances

For example: when the anchor is below you, or when the anchor point is inconveniently located, or when you would prefer not to weight the anchor...

(This post was edited by sp115 on Nov 15, 2010, 1:18 PM)

bill413

Nov 15, 2010, 1:18 PM
Post #25 of 68 (6851 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
billl7 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Alright

[IMG]http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/7149/screenhunter03nov14.jpg[/IMG][/quote

1) Tie a knot in the rope behind the grigri so you can go hands free in good conscious.
2)Clip a short sling (or two for redundancy) into the master point of the two blue slings.
3)Clip the other end to the rope going from the GriGri to the climber
4)Run a releasable prussik from the master point to the rope going to the climber, below the biner you just clipped
5)Put the load on the prussik
6)Pull slack through grigri & back the prussik up with a knot to the anchor.
7)You are now unweighted and can escape from the belay, with the rope through a "pulley" from the anchor.

I think I've got that right.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook