Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jayhawk70

Nov 15, 2010, 1:43 AM
Post #1 of 44 (18583 views)
Shortcut

slinging horns as opposed to cams or nuts
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i am relatively new to trad. i have done some lead climbing with others and done alittle by myself. recently, i was doing some easy stuff at Sand rock, AL. i was mixing cams and nuts with slinging horns ie. i would double a sling over a decent horn then clip a biner through the ends and then clip my line through the biner. i have seen others do it. it makes sense to me and i feel it is secure but another climber made an under his breath comment and shook his head as if in dismay. he didnt stick around to elaborate. so.. slinging horns for protection? good bad ugly...?

chadnsc

Nov 15, 2010, 1:56 AM
Post #2 of 44 (18574 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jayhawk70] slinging horns as opposed to cams or nuts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Slinging horns or knobs when that's all you have (Needles SD comes to mind) is just fine as long as you're doing it right.

It sounds like that either you where slinging horns when there was other / better ways to protect your climbing OR you where slinging the natural pro incorrectly.

Based on your description on how you where slinging the horns I think it was a combination of both.

shimanilami

Nov 15, 2010, 1:59 AM
Post #3 of 44 (18572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You must have been doing something else the guy didn't like. In my experience, if a route has horns, knobs, chickenheads, and the like, it's standard protocol to sling them.

chadnsc

Nov 15, 2010, 2:06 AM
Post #4 of 44 (18563 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] slinging horns as opposed to cams or nuts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well to be fair it's standard protocol to sling horns and knobs where YOU climb.

I've climbed plenty of stuff that had horns and chicken heads that I wouldn't sling for pro (weak rock, or much better features that would take bomber gear).

Truth be told OP without seeing your climb, and the slung knobs and horns it's rather impossible to give an authoritative answer to your question.

pendereki

Nov 15, 2010, 2:11 AM
Post #5 of 44 (18557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

When I sling a horn, I try to clove hitch or in some way tie the sling to the horn. It sounds like you just draped the horn--I would have shook me head in dismay at that!

Colinhoglund

Nov 15, 2010, 2:11 AM
Post #6 of 44 (18557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jayhawk70 wrote:
i am relatively new to trad. i have done some lead climbing with others and done alittle by myself. recently, i was doing some easy stuff at Sand rock, AL. i was mixing cams and nuts with slinging horns ie. i would double a sling over a decent horn then clip a biner through the ends and then clip my line through the biner. i have seen others do it. it makes sense to me and i feel it is secure but another climber made an under his breath comment and shook his head as if in dismay. he didnt stick around to elaborate. so.. slinging horns for protection? good bad ugly...?

Slinging horns is either the mark of the n00b, or the very experienced. This is because the very experienced know when they can and CAN'T trust a slung horn, the intermediate realizes they don't know when to trust them (and therefore places other gear they KNOW will work), while the n00b doesn't when to not trust them.

Buddy probably made a comment about one of two things. 1 the feature you slung was crappy!!!! Or 2, there was an obvious piece of good gear within reach of your horn.

If you are to continue to sling horns (something I rarely do, usually theres other better gear around) make sure their solid features; no cracks, sharp edges to cut sling, not chossy etc. Extend to prevent upward lift. Don't girth hitch *especially with dynema* whenever possible (if you have to girth hitch to keep it there It's not that good anyways).

bill413

Nov 15, 2010, 3:44 AM
Post #7 of 44 (18505 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Colinhoglund] slinging horns as opposed to cams or nuts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Some good stuff here.

Usually just draping a sling over a horn, or doubling it round a horn isn't terribly good - it's too likely to be lifted off when the rope moves up. It's (usually) much better to girth hitch them or slip-knot them to make sure the sling stays put.

Even if there's a place for a piece of pro nearby, it's a personal decision as to whether to place pro, sling the horn, or both. I've no problem with using natural pro - in fact, blindly plugging a cam when there's natural pro tends to make me shake my head.

Choose good pro, natural or man-made. Make sure that it will stay there when you move above it, when you clip your next piece, and especially if you fall. Have fun.

Colinhoglund

Nov 15, 2010, 4:34 AM
Post #8 of 44 (18481 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] slinging horns as opposed to cams or nuts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
Some good stuff here.

I'll take whatever I can get. Wink

aerili

Nov 15, 2010, 4:43 AM
Post #9 of 44 (18470 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sometimes big chickenheads or horns look bomber but have been known to break if the neck is relatively narrow enough (and depending on the rock type). After hearing that a climber had a moderately-sized chickenhead break off on desert granite before, I decided to try to go only for the beefiest possible features.

Unless the neck of the horn or chickenhead is large enough that your sling can completely encircle it with little slack, I would also recommend learning how to tie a slip knot and use that most of the time. Sometimes I also clip another sling off the slip-knotted sling so that there is less chance of the pro lifting up off the horn as you continue to climb above it.

coastal_climber

Nov 15, 2010, 4:57 AM
Post #10 of 44 (18458 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] slinging horns as opposed to cams or nuts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sling it if its solid. Don't sling if theres better pro available. If the sling might lift off, be sure to weight it with an extra un-needed piece(s).

jt512

Nov 15, 2010, 5:21 AM
Post #11 of 44 (18443 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] slinging horns as opposed to cams or nuts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
Slinging horns or knobs when that's all you have (Needles SD comes to mind) is just fine as long as you're doing it right.

It sounds like that either you where slinging horns when there was other / better ways to protect your climbing OR you where slinging the natural pro incorrectly.

You don't know what you're talking about. I'd sling a bomber horn over placing a piece at any opportunity. Natural, bombproof, multi-directional pro. What more could you want? Plus, you don't unnecessarily deplete your rack, saving pieces for when you might actually need them.

From the OP's description, it might have been preferable to girth hitch the knob, rather than to drape a doubled sling over it, but without seeing the situation, this is just speculation.

Edit: GUed on the girth hitch comment.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Nov 15, 2010, 5:23 AM)

jt512

Nov 15, 2010, 5:29 AM
Post #12 of 44 (18439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

Colinhoglund wrote:
Or . . . there was an obvious piece of good gear within reach of your horn.

So bizarre, this idea of preferring a nut to good natural pro.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Nov 15, 2010, 5:29 AM)

Colinhoglund

Nov 15, 2010, 5:37 AM
Post #13 of 44 (18430 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] slinging horns as opposed to cams or nuts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Colinhoglund wrote:

Jay

All depends on how good the nut is compared to the natural pro. Since a good nut is bomber, the horn would have to be TRUCK before I chose it over a nut. However, if the horn was way better, I'd use it. That don't happen too often where I climb though.

jt512

Nov 15, 2010, 5:44 AM
Post #14 of 44 (18425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Colinhoglund wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Colinhoglund wrote:

Jay

All depends on how good the nut is compared to the natural pro. Since a good nut is bomber, the horn would have to be TRUCK before I chose it over a nut.

Well, a good horn is bomber, more than the best nut or cam. If the horns on your local rock are unreliable, then you should realize that that is a local phenomenon. The general rule is to prefer good natural pro over removable gear, for all the reasons I state in my above post, plus it is better style—after all, you are trying to trad climb, right?

Jay

Colinhoglund

Nov 15, 2010, 5:54 AM
Post #15 of 44 (18412 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

True, however I spend almost all my time in either the rockies or squamish. In the rockies chances are the few horns we find are CHOSSY. If it's not part of the face, it's probably because it's crap. And I've yet to find a real good horn on a hard (for me) route in Squamish that I'd actually trust. If I were somewhere with good horns and threads, I'd change my opinion.

shimanilami

Nov 15, 2010, 4:01 PM
Post #16 of 44 (18325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Colinhoglund wrote:
Slinging horns is either the mark of the n00b, or the very experienced.

In that case, I'm screwed!

(This post was edited by shimanilami on Nov 15, 2010, 6:09 PM)

chadnsc

Nov 15, 2010, 4:33 PM
Post #17 of 44 (18303 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
chadnsc wrote:

You don't know what you're talking about. I'd sling a bomber horn over placing a piece at any opportunity. Natural, bombproof, multi-directional pro. What more could you want? Plus, you don't unnecessarily deplete your rack, saving pieces for when you might actually need them.

From the OP's description, it might have been preferable to girth hitch the knob, rather than to drape a doubled sling over it, but without seeing the situation, this is just speculation.

Jay

Thanks for repeating everying I've already said. Wink

styndall

Nov 15, 2010, 4:43 PM
Post #18 of 44 (18289 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Colinhoglund wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Colinhoglund wrote:

Jay

All depends on how good the nut is compared to the natural pro. Since a good nut is bomber, the horn would have to be TRUCK before I chose it over a nut. However, if the horn was way better, I'd use it. That don't happen too often where I climb though.

At Sandrock, the horns and natural pro are really, really good.

Colinhoglund

Nov 15, 2010, 5:23 PM
Post #19 of 44 (18251 views)
Shortcut

Re: [styndall] slinging horns as opposed to cams or nuts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Then I would probably sling natural features there. But as I said, most of the rock where I climb is somewhat suspect, hence my opinion. My whole point is to try and give the OP food for thought that yes slinging works, but make sure you know what your doing.

darkgift06

Nov 15, 2010, 6:07 PM
Post #20 of 44 (18212 views)
Shortcut

Re: [styndall] slinging horns as opposed to cams or nuts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Can't believe no one put this up... its new in the Beginner threads.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...d;page=unread#unread

here is a link to Mike's video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPpAkFZT_lM

chadnsc

Nov 15, 2010, 6:11 PM
Post #21 of 44 (18202 views)
Shortcut

Re: [darkgift06] slinging horns as opposed to cams or nuts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's probably because while Mikes' video makes a good point not to forget about using natural anchors he doesn't give any explanation or instruction how to actually create / use natural anchors.

scotty1974

Nov 15, 2010, 6:49 PM
Post #22 of 44 (18162 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
chadnsc wrote:

Jay

Yeah that's pretty much exactly what I was going to say. In the flatirons without slung horns, chickenheads or slung runnels you be more run out than the usual 40+ feet.

The key really besides it being solid is making sure that it's either long enough or has features that allow it be slung without slipping off. That and a girth hitch as well aids in stability.

(This post was edited by scotty1974 on Nov 15, 2010, 7:12 PM)

brianinslc

Nov 15, 2010, 6:53 PM
Post #23 of 44 (18157 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

jayhawk70 wrote:
i was doing some easy stuff at Sand rock, AL...slinging horns for protection? good bad ugly...?

Maybe it was how you clipped your sling? Perhaps the climber thought you should have girth hitched it to prevent it from moving around as you passed it?

Dunno. I've climbed at Sand Rock, and, those horns can be very solid. I'd sling the heck out of 'em.

Wasteland belay anchor Cochise AZ...

chadnsc

Nov 15, 2010, 7:26 PM
Post #24 of 44 (18128 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brianinslc] slinging horns as opposed to cams or nuts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If those are types of knobs and horns the OP was slinging then I would have to agree with you.

Thanks for posting up pictures of the are the OP was refering to, it helps a great deal.

aerili

Nov 15, 2010, 7:49 PM
Post #25 of 44 (18108 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brianinslc] slinging horns as opposed to cams or nuts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brianinslc wrote:
[image]http://www.mountainproject.com/images/75/18/106137518_large_599acb.jpg[/image]

Wasteland belay anchor Cochise AZ...

This is exactly the kind of "moderately-sized" desert granite chickenhead that some southern Arizona climbers claimed they have seen break off. I have climbed Wasteland and would def try to find bigger chickenheads for my anchor. I know they are there!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook