Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

dugl33

Nov 15, 2010, 8:04 PM
Post #26 of 57 (2970 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mountain_minded] Setting Serious Goals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

All this reflection and soul searching and it hasn't occurred to you to head south for the winter? If you're serious about being a climbing bum I'm pretty sure your circuit needs to extend outside of Washington state.

mountain_minded

Nov 16, 2010, 1:16 AM
Post #27 of 57 (2938 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dugl33] Setting Serious Goals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This garden has spoiled but I've gotten my fruits. The rest of these posts are irrelevant. Thanks to those who took time to contribute something positive. Toast-I respect your recent reply. Dugl-you are an ass. Josh-you da man, Summer-never stop growing son.

This is my last response to this thread.

dugl33

Nov 16, 2010, 3:03 AM
Post #28 of 57 (2922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mountain_minded wrote:
This garden has spoiled but I've gotten my fruits. The rest of these posts are irrelevant. Thanks to those who took time to contribute something positive. Toast-I respect your recent reply. Dugl-you are an ass. Josh-you da man, Summer-never stop growing son.

Dude, you asked for advice regarding setting serious goals. My advice was not to hang out in rainy northwest national forest land all winter but to head south. Places like JTree, Mount Lemmon, Potrero Chico, Red Rocks. Alabama Hills. But whatever. Do it your way. Start out all zen and then go off the reservation a-la Jerry Springer / Rikki Lake Show railing against everyone who is even mildly critical. My two cents maybe weren't framed in the most warm and fuzzy way but alas the rhetorical remains like fuzzy dice hanging from your apartment's rear-view mirror.

%

spikeddem

Nov 16, 2010, 3:47 PM
Post #29 of 57 (2890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mountain_minded wrote:

Vegetables come from gardens, not fruits.

mountain_minded

Nov 16, 2010, 5:37 PM
Post #30 of 57 (2874 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Setting Serious Goals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Spike--are you retarded? Tomatoes brother. Garden (defined): A garden is a planned space, usually outdoors, set aside for the display, cultivation, and enjoyment of plants and other forms of nature. The garden can incorporate both natural and man-made materials. The most common form is known as a residential garden...

This can include fruit trees, strawberry bushes, a variety of berries matter of fact which are all denoted as "fruits".

Dice--again you speak with little information and your comment was a belittling smug reply "has it not occurred to you [amidst your reflection].."

Not only have I never in this thread claimed to be a "dirt-bag climber", as I've denoted I work for a living, but teach outdoor education and as a result live on the road, which gained an incredible amount of criticism because of gasoline use.

And it's not Ricky Lake style-defense bro, it's people being obnoxious and insulting out of left field misconstruing and making assumptions.

Excuse me [who doesn't frequent forums often] for being rather upset how easily someone is willing *in an initial encounter with a complete stranger* to make asshole comments that are for nothing more than self-giggling and being a douche.

I login hoping to see some positive insight, which many have contributed to learning [which I am most interested in], and instead get people fixating on "dirt bag climber", "vegetables are in gardens", and "fuzzy dice".

Maybe you could try to be more respectful to people, especially when they are reaching from true intentions, rather than use it as a chance to solidify your ego.

I would venture that in a real-life 1:1 encounter you'd be far less likely to be a smug ass to a complete stranger. Because some people have bigger arms than you. And some people are just fucking insane (I've met them first-hand) and carry guns and would likely drop you like nothing and sleep soundly at night.

And again, you spoke in ignorance stating to "get out of Washington" as right now I am in a location where it is 70 degrees. Hater-aid party must be on another forum, seems many of you enjoy drinking its juice. Must be tasty.

And yes, whether people admit it or not, there is quite a bit that can be learned in life from travel, dematerialism, and placing ourselves into new places with new people way beyond our norm.

It is not always comfortable and there is growing as a result of this. That is why I do advocate people spend some time traveling, whether it be as a climbing-performance focus (which mine is not, but is a partial interest), or for simple exploration.

Especially if you are a young person with worldly-curiosity. Because the world will pass you by soon enough and you'll be thirty-five, forty-five, mid-way through a career and maybe never having stopped for a moment to look around. It happens to some people. Not all, but some for sure.

Begging does not have to be a means. I do not "beg", in fact you would never know I live on the road as I am clean and well-mannered, educated, respectful, and I usually make new friends every place I visit. And that's my favorite part because that's how I learn the most.

There are ways to make money on the road, there are basic-service jobs in many big cities that one can acquire with little effort and be able to spend some time in a new place. And of course a prepared person can save in advance and take a multi-month exploration. But be warned small towns are not good for hopes to find work--your best bet is to head to biggest metropolis area.

Have a goal with your travel. Mine has been outdoor education to make money, working food service in between, and to gain new experience for writing. Then you are not a wandering gypsy but a man on a mission.

Self-reflection is good in moderation but action is the only way to get somewhere.

Screw the haters. They are in abundance. In fact, I can almost promise you when you are on the right path for yourself people will be there to criticize you with ease. A great deal of this is because how it causes them to self-reflect onto themselves, sometimes their own fears. Lead by example.

I cannot say mobile-living is for the weak hearted, as there is some suffering. There is a reason we build nice homes for ourselves. But there is something to be learned from a window of exploration and travel, especially if it can be done in a sustainable fashion to advance some personal state of knowledge or curiosity.

Love to those working to grow. Lack of respect to those who cast insults before praise. Lazy way out.

peace.

(This post was edited by mountain_minded on Nov 16, 2010, 5:55 PM)

spikeddem

Nov 16, 2010, 5:57 PM
Post #31 of 57 (2866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mountain_minded wrote:
Spike--are you retarded? Tomatoes brother. And its not uncommon for people to plant fruit trees around gardens.

Got you to come back, sucka. You gotta have more constitution than that, brother. I see at least two more posts by you in this thread.

mountain_minded

Nov 16, 2010, 6:08 PM
Post #32 of 57 (2863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
Got you to come back, sucka. You gotta have more constitution than that, brother. I see at least two more posts by you in this thread.

Yeah man you did! How'd you get so smart? I knew you'd understand everything, but I thought just incase everyone wasn't as smart as you, a bit of clarification would be constructive! But thanks bro! How are your vegetables?

(This post was edited by mountain_minded on Nov 16, 2010, 6:09 PM)

spikeddem

Nov 16, 2010, 6:15 PM
Post #33 of 57 (2859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mountain_minded wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

Yeah man you did! How'd you get so smart? I knew you'd understand everything, but I thought just incase everyone wasn't as smart as you, a bit of clarification would be constructive! But thanks bro! How are your vegetables?

This is much more understandable than your PM to me:

mountain_minded wrote:
kiss right in the middle suckah, where the shit comes out. that's puckering for you

As best I can tell, you've sent me some kind of sexual invitation via PM. Politely, I decline.

mountain_minded

Nov 16, 2010, 6:35 PM
Post #34 of 57 (2852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

C'mon Spike, that's not what the PM you sent me hinted at:

spikeddem wrote:
I have a location to meet if you can be discrete ;)

Must be some confusion here, huh?

spikeddem

Nov 16, 2010, 6:52 PM
Post #35 of 57 (2842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mountain_minded wrote:
C'mon Spike, that's not what the PM you sent me hinted at:

spikeddem wrote:
I have a location to meet if you can be discrete ;)

Must be some confusion here, huh?

**cat calls** Wink

mountain_minded

Nov 16, 2010, 7:22 PM
Post #36 of 57 (2833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
**cat calls** Wink

hehehe

blueeyedclimber

Nov 16, 2010, 7:53 PM
Post #37 of 57 (2816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

get a room.

spikeddem

Nov 16, 2010, 7:54 PM
Post #38 of 57 (2813 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Setting Serious Goals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
get a room.

i'm getting a raging clue

dugl33

Nov 16, 2010, 9:40 PM
Post #39 of 57 (2792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mountain_minded wrote:

Dice--again you speak with little information and your comment was a belittling smug reply "has it not occurred to you [amidst your reflection].." Yeah, I guess that could come across a little condescending. Although maybe you could lighten up a bit(?) I have a sarcastic / satirical sense of humor. Besides, you already took us down the "belittling smug reply path" with your response to "Toast in The Machine", among others.

Not only have I never in this thread claimed to be a "dirt-bag climber", as I've denoted I work for a living, but teach outdoor education and as a result live on the road, which gained an incredible amount of criticism because of gasoline use. Hey, I've lived on the road, and I've been a weekend warrior. Both take a lot of fuel. Most climbers drive in pursuit of their hobby. I commute by bus 30 miles each way for work, but I wouldn't if it weren't reasonably convenient. Why so defensive when someone challenges your worldview or whether or not being a climbing bum gives one "life skills"?

And it's not Ricky Lake style-defense bro, it's people being obnoxious and insulting out of left field misconstruing and making assumptions. I've just always thought calling someone a hater sounded trashy. Maybe that's just me.

Excuse me [who doesn't frequent forums often] for being rather upset how easily someone is willing *in an initial encounter with a complete stranger* to make asshole comments that are for nothing more than self-giggling and being a douche. Yes, obviously you don't visit forums often -- at least not this one. If you had you might be a little less defensive. And you might know a little about the people posting, where they are coming from, and where they generally land on the asshole and substantive response spectrums.

I login hoping to see some positive insight, which many have contributed to learning [which I am most interested in], and instead get people fixating on "dirt bag climber", "vegetables are in gardens", and "fuzzy dice". Yes, climbers are a colorful and poetic mob, aren't we? I've seen route names that would make a sailor blush, and names that deserve 5 stars on creativity alone.

Maybe you could try to be more respectful to people, especially when they are reaching from true intentions, rather than use it as a chance to solidify your ego. True. Respectful is always a worthy goal. Regarding ego though, a solid ego is not generally easily affronted, and doesn't need to justify choices to or seek approval from strangers. Again, maybe lighten up a little(?)

I would venture that in a real-life 1:1 encounter you'd be far less likely to be a smug ass to a complete stranger. Because some people have bigger arms than you. And some people are just fucking insane (I've met them first-hand) and carry guns and would likely drop you like nothing and sleep soundly at night. True, and you have me wondering if you are one of these people.

And again, you spoke in ignorance stating to "get out of Washington" as right now I am in a location where it is 70 degrees. Hater-aid party must be on another forum, seems many of you enjoy drinking its juice. Must be tasty. There's that hater word again. Uggh. If you mentioned that (your current geography) in your initial description I missed it. I can't go back and look, because you deleted it. Too bad really, because you sounded like a reasonable dude in the beginning. Good travels.

mountain_minded

Nov 17, 2010, 1:02 AM
Post #40 of 57 (2775 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jesus man are you kidding me? Call me defensive yet you take a blue defense rhetoric to each line. Let's move on. How are your vegetables?

mountain_minded

Nov 17, 2010, 1:52 AM
Post #41 of 57 (2763 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually dude I wanted to respond further and say thanks for your clarifications--I don't know the general attitude here. I do burn gasoline, I do not enjoy that and acknowledge that as a negative. Currently I will not be too heavily mobile the next few months. I was defensive yes, but that is because I felt attacked. Thanks for your response. Peace.

gmggg

Nov 19, 2010, 5:31 PM
Post #42 of 57 (2715 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pre-doobie:

mountain_minded wrote:
Jesus man are you kidding me? Call me defensive yet you take a blue defense rhetoric to each line. Let's move on. How are your vegetables?

Post-doobie:

mountain_minded wrote:
Actually dude I wanted to respond further and say thanks for your clarifications--I don't know the general attitude here. I do burn gasoline, I do not enjoy that and acknowledge that as a negative. Currently I will not be too heavily mobile the next few months. I was defensive yes, but that is because I felt attacked. Thanks for your response. Peace.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Nov 19, 2010, 6:36 PM
Post #43 of 57 (2685 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] Setting Serious Goals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
Pre-doobie:

mountain_minded wrote:

Post-doobie:

mountain_minded wrote:

When were the deletions? Pre/post/during?

gmggg

Nov 19, 2010, 7:04 PM
Post #44 of 57 (2681 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Setting Serious Goals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
gmggg wrote:
Pre-doobie:

mountain_minded wrote:

Post-doobie:

mountain_minded wrote:

That was the brown acid.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Nov 19, 2010, 7:12 PM
Post #45 of 57 (2676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
gmggg wrote:
Pre-doobie:

mountain_minded wrote:

Post-doobie:

mountain_minded wrote:

That was the brown acid.

Wow, can you get to the PA and let everyone know that that there is some bad brown acid going around? An announcement on this would be helpful.

mountain_minded

Nov 19, 2010, 7:15 PM
Post #46 of 57 (2674 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Woooaaahh man...

mountain_minded

Nov 19, 2010, 7:19 PM
Post #47 of 57 (2672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never seen the skies sooo...Pink.

What a strange word, "Pink", why didn't we call it something different like Randenhurst or Jink?

mountain_minded

Nov 19, 2010, 7:28 PM
Post #48 of 57 (2667 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ps, at least I am man enough to open myself to new perspectives and not always being right. I acknowledge my many faults.

Toast, I imagine you are a strange man in real life and wonder what you have to contribute other than some preverted self-righteousness or snyde snickering to other peoples misery or frustration. Waste of time. You must have a compassionate wife, or you must be the breadwinner. Hopefully your children will grow up not to spite you. Maybe they'll have a heavy acid trip and realize it was just because their dad didn't get enough hugs as a kid and was unable to get over being picked on.

(This post was edited by mountain_minded on Nov 19, 2010, 7:35 PM)

Toast_in_the_Machine

Nov 19, 2010, 7:58 PM
Post #49 of 57 (2653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mountain_minded wrote:
ps, at least I am man enough to open myself to new perspectives and not always being right. I acknowledge my many faults.

Toast, I imagine you are a strange man in real life and wonder what you have to contribute other than some preverted self-righteousness or snyde snickering to other peoples misery or frustration. Waste of time. You must have a compassionate wife, or you must be the breadwinner. Hopefully your children will grow up not to spite you. Maybe they'll have a heavy acid trip and realize it was just because their dad didn't get enough hugs as a kid and was unable to get over being picked on.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Really. I pointed out your violation of local ethics (deleting posts) in reference to a post about you being agro / non agro due to herbage. I then played on the "brown acid" to reference it back to the movie Woodstock. The second post had nothing to do with you, ony a fun comment to a hippie.

As for the threats of physical violence - please see the TOS.

mountain_minded

Nov 19, 2010, 8:06 PM
Post #50 of 57 (2652 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wonder what exactly "Toast In The Machine" is? Are you sort of like a limp piece of white bread? Or are you being "baked", in reference to the doobie idea? Are you like wonder bread, where you look okay enough but really are just made of dry and non-nourishing ingredients?

I wonder if a Toast Boy can do his own laundry. Or maybe wifey does that for you. Do you get special Blowjob Kisses if you've been a good boy and done all of your house chores? You must have a lot of free time to regularly troll your forums, masturbate to your porno, before Wifey gets home and cooks you your big boy Hungry Man dinner.

I wonder if because you are toast, your friends must help you when climbing--I mean with your Hostess Delicate White Hands, the rock must be intimidating. I wonder if they get tried of Toast being all black and "in the machine burned" and wish they could scrape you off into the waste basket.

When you are out of the machine, and your soft white complextion has a fine glow (probably similar to your wifeys tanning salon visitis), I wonder what you will do next?

Perhaps you will come back here and be an ass to complete strangers, sitting in your underwear as you await posts to jump on such as this one until Wifey gets home and makes you your Chicken Nugget dinner, or maybe if you've been good you and the kiddos can go to McDonalds and enjoy amidst your drooling wonderboy expression, all of the pretty colors?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook