Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

esander4

Nov 16, 2010, 7:17 AM
Post #1 of 52 (13875 views)
Shortcut

Does anyone else...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Have as much trouble finding trad partners as I do? Sport, easy. But trad....I think I have literally asked everyone in my gym if they want to go trad climbing with me. No luck. Everyone is a sport climber, and trad climbing "freaks them out". Except for the few times by brother visits me, I don't get to trad, and I feel like I'm missing out in my short time in Colorado. Climbing trad is the greatest feeling in the world to me. Jesus I need a regular partner. Just thought I'd rant for a while.

And if anyone is ever in the Colorado area....I'll buy you a meal and some gas for a trad adventure. Even in winter, as long as it's not snowing I don't care how cold it is

bearbreeder

Nov 16, 2010, 8:11 AM
Post #2 of 52 (13858 views)
Shortcut

Re: [esander4] Does anyone else... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

move to squamish ... the routes are like 70-80% gear here
Tongue

captaincrash

Nov 16, 2010, 11:42 AM
Post #3 of 52 (13825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't even sport climbed once!
It's all trad for me.
Don't have too much difficulty finding partners, but I live in the UK, where most stuff is trad!

meanandugly

Nov 16, 2010, 1:56 PM
Post #4 of 52 (13786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's why I got a soloist.

cornstateclimber

Nov 16, 2010, 2:13 PM
Post #5 of 52 (13777 views)
Shortcut

Re: [meanandugly] Does anyone else... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

and your in Colorado. move to illinois, where most people you see at the cragshave top ropes set up. I dont do much sport myself, its trad all the way. i havent found a regular partner since my last one moved to california on me years ago. its been a search i tell ya.

boymeetsrock

Nov 16, 2010, 2:37 PM
Post #6 of 52 (13768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

esander4 wrote:
Have as much trouble finding trad partners as I do? Sport, easy. But trad....I think I have literally asked everyone in my gym if they want to go trad climbing with me. No luck. Everyone is a sport climber, and trad climbing "freaks them out". Except for the few times by brother visits me, I don't get to trad, and I feel like I'm missing out in my short time in Colorado. Climbing trad is the greatest feeling in the world to me. Jesus I need a regular partner. Just thought I'd rant for a while.

And if anyone is ever in the Colorado area....I'll buy you a meal and some gas for a trad adventure. Even in winter, as long as it's not snowing I don't care how cold it is

You're doing it wrong!

kennoyce

Nov 16, 2010, 3:43 PM
Post #7 of 52 (13736 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boymeetsrock] Does anyone else... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

boymeetsrock wrote:
esander4 wrote:

You're doing it wrong!

Serously, I can't think of a worse place to try and find a trad partner than a gym.

rdr_1988

Nov 16, 2010, 3:43 PM
Post #8 of 52 (13736 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a friend who was looking for partners in colorado a while back and he said that he offered beer on mountainproject and got like 50 replies in the first day. Maybe you're just not offering what the people want

TarHeelEMT

Nov 16, 2010, 10:12 PM
Post #9 of 52 (13645 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rdr_1988] Does anyone else... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (13 ratings)  
Can't Post

rdr_1988 wrote:
I have a friend who was looking for partners in colorado a while back and he said that he offered beer on mountainproject and got like 50 replies in the first day. Maybe you're just not offering what the people want

Very true. Get boobs.

jeepnphreak

Nov 16, 2010, 11:18 PM
Post #10 of 52 (13610 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boymeetsrock] Does anyone else... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

boymeetsrock wrote:
esander4 wrote:

You're doing it wrong!

The gym is for finding gumies. I have found that hanging out at the local gear shop works better.
Not only do the guys at the shop climb but during the end and start of the seasons or major holidays (thanksgiving and spring break ect) the trad climbers are replacing gear getting new slings ect. That's a good time to shoot the shit and swap numbers.

esander4

Nov 17, 2010, 12:38 AM
Post #11 of 52 (13587 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] Does anyone else... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jeepnphreak wrote:
boymeetsrock wrote:
esander4 wrote:

You're doing it wrong!

The gym is for finding gumies. I have found that hanging out at the local gear shop works better.
Not only do the guys at the shop climb but during the end and start of the seasons or major holidays (thanksgiving and spring break ect) the trad climbers are replacing gear getting new slings ect. That's a good time to shoot the shit and swap numbers.

Ah. I was waiting for someone to elaborate a little more than "the gym is a bad place to find a trad partner". I kept thinking, well where else could you find one except the internet, but that's a good option.

And fuck it, if I'm not offering something good enough let me up the ante a little. Anyone who wants to trad climb, I'll split a six pack with them. Choice of beer goes to my partner. I won't judge you on your choice (even though you can't go wrong with some alaskan amber beer)

boymeetsrock

Nov 17, 2010, 1:15 AM
Post #12 of 52 (13569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The problem with the gym is that most of the people there are gym climbers. That's what they do and for many of them it is all they do. Gym climbers who climb outdoors are more likely to boulder or maybe sport climb. Trad climbers who are at the gym are probably there with an established partner, and don't care to hook up with new partners at the time.

Best places to meet trad climbers are probably through meet up groups, through known partners, at the gear store was a good one... If there is a popular crag you could go there alone and try and meet up with some people who are there.

potreroed

Nov 17, 2010, 2:46 AM
Post #13 of 52 (13534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Best place to meet trad climbers is at the trad climbing areas and at the bouldering areas--not the gym or the sport crags. To answer your question, no, I've never had trouble finding trad partners.

jmeizis

Nov 17, 2010, 3:53 AM
Post #14 of 52 (13500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

K, dude, you've upped the ante enough for me. I'm taking two AMGA courses next season and I don't get much work in the winter. I'm taking all of December off to let any nagging injuries settle and to take care of some home remodeling stuff but before that and after that I'm all about the multipitch trad, alpine, aid, big walls. Anything that requires I bust my ass as hard as possible before the exam in the fall. I'm particular to Eldo, Flatirons, Splatte, and Lumpy. Will do some trips to the Desert if the weather is nice. Will also do some peak bagging routes as well depending on what they are and the weather. Sorry I really want to climb Pervetical Sanctuary, but not in my double boots.

What days do you have free? How far are you willing to drive? What kind of climbing experience do you have? Can you do or build up to at least ten pitches a day without whining? Also, how do you feel about giving up the crux pitches?

esander4

Nov 17, 2010, 4:56 AM
Post #15 of 52 (13478 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmeizis] Does anyone else... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:
K, dude, you've upped the ante enough for me. I'm taking two AMGA courses next season and I don't get much work in the winter. I'm taking all of December off to let any nagging injuries settle and to take care of some home remodeling stuff but before that and after that I'm all about the multipitch trad, alpine, aid, big walls. Anything that requires I bust my ass as hard as possible before the exam in the fall. I'm particular to Eldo, Flatirons, Splatte, and Lumpy. Will do some trips to the Desert if the weather is nice. Will also do some peak bagging routes as well depending on what they are and the weather. Sorry I really want to climb Pervetical Sanctuary, but not in my double boots.

What days do you have free? How far are you willing to drive? What kind of climbing experience do you have? Can you do or build up to at least ten pitches a day without whining? Also, how do you feel about giving up the crux pitches?

1.) I have any weekend free, and depending on how much notice I have usually any day but monday and wednesday free.

2.)How far am I willing to drive? Umm...well i'm willing to ride with somebody as far as it takes to get somewhere to climb. As of right now, I'm a domestic exchange student at the University of Northern Colorado and my car is sitting in a driveway in Tennessee. I do chip in for a majority of the gas though for that very reason. Also I'm kind of a hazard waiting to happen with a car.

3.) I have about 6 years of sport climbing and 1 year of trad climbing experience. I don't have any experience with aid or big wall, but I'm a pretty quick learner and want to do both. Most of the trad I've done has been multi pitch.

4.) I can do as many pitches as daylight allows, and depending on the weather, as nighttime allows.

5.)We must discuss your final question haha it would depend on what the crux pitch was. Slab, yeah take it. I'm not the greatest slab climber. Anything else, well we might have to flip for it, but if it meant the difference between climbing or not climbing then you can have them.

By the way, I love Lumpy. And if you know of any other good places I'm open to suggestions

(This post was edited by esander4 on Nov 17, 2010, 5:58 AM)

AntinJ

Nov 17, 2010, 7:09 PM
Post #16 of 52 (13390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am moving to Denver from Boston in January...if you still haven't found a partner by then, I'll crush with you. Unless of course I find an Ice partner first!

Jason

welle

Nov 17, 2010, 9:12 PM
Post #17 of 52 (13344 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TarHeelEMT] Does anyone else... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
rdr_1988 wrote:

Very true. Get boobs.

+1

jmeizis

Nov 17, 2010, 9:54 PM
Post #18 of 52 (13326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well damn man, that's part of your trouble, you live in Greeley and don't have a car. Colorado is mostly sport climbers who like to drive.

Anyways, I live down in the Springs so it won't be easy to work that out on all my days off. I know a lot of good places but I'll PM you my phone # and we'll see what climbing we can get done before December.

bill413

Nov 17, 2010, 11:32 PM
Post #19 of 52 (13280 views)
Shortcut

Re: [welle] Does anyone else... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

welle wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
rdr_1988 wrote:

Very true. Get boobs.

+1

Are you saying get 3?

welle

Nov 18, 2010, 2:43 PM
Post #20 of 52 (13149 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Does anyone else... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
welle wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
rdr_1988 wrote:

Very true. Get boobs.

+1

Are you saying get 3?

I LOL-d.

rangerrob

Nov 18, 2010, 8:59 PM
Post #21 of 52 (13093 views)
Shortcut

Re: [welle] Does anyone else... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Maybe the reason you can't find a partner is because you keep saying you want to go TRAD climbing. It's just climbing dude. You just happen to be sticking things in rocks and then clipping the rope to it. It isn't anything more than that. How about this line. "Hey man, you interested in going climbing next weekend? I know this really cool spot where we can have some fun get off the ground a bit. Interested?"

Leave the TRAD part out. Let them figure it out when you strat plugging gear.

RR

It's just climbing

petsfed

Nov 18, 2010, 9:28 PM
Post #22 of 52 (13081 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't live in the Front Range, where if it isn't mediocre sport climbing or Eldo, then nobody wants to talk about it.

spikeddem

Nov 18, 2010, 9:31 PM
Post #23 of 52 (13078 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] Does anyone else... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

rangerrob wrote:
Maybe the reason you can't find a partner is because you keep saying you want to go TRAD climbing. It's just climbing dude. You just happen to be sticking things in rocks and then clipping the rope to it. It isn't anything more than that. How about this line. "Hey man, you interested in going climbing next weekend? I know this really cool spot where we can have some fun get off the ground a bit. Interested?"

RR

It's just climbing

I wouldn't want to climb with a stranger that didn't ask me to specify what kind of climbing I'm referring to.

kennoyce

Nov 18, 2010, 9:35 PM
Post #24 of 52 (13071 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] Does anyone else... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rangerrob wrote:

RR

It's just climbing

Good point, I hadn't thought about it, but when I am asking if someone wants to climb with me I don't specify what type of climbing. Once they agree, we discuss where we want to climb which usually dictates what type of climbing we will be doing.

bill413

Nov 19, 2010, 2:27 AM
Post #25 of 52 (13021 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] Does anyone else... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kennoyce wrote:
rangerrob wrote:

RR

It's just climbing

Good point, I hadn't thought about it, but when I am asking if someone wants to climb with me I don't specify what type of climbing. Once they agree, we discuss where we want to climb which usually dictates what type of climbing we will be doing.

Agreed. Decision to climb first. Where / Type second.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook