RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

jolery

Nov 19, 2010, 2:59 PM
Post #1 of 20 (5478 views)
Shortcut

Core Damage from Factor 2 Fall
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A friend took a factor two fall on my New England 10.5, resulting in a permanent kink in the rope (and lots of blood stains). I cut off the section, and checked out the core:

2 of the 12 strand bundles were damaged. Anyone else cut their rope after a nasty fall and find core damage?

marc801

Nov 19, 2010, 3:12 PM
Post #2 of 20 (5471 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jolery] Core Damage from Factor 2 Fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jolery wrote:
A friend took a factor two fall on my New England 10.5, resulting in a permanent kink in the rope (and lots of blood stains). I cut off the section, and checked out the core:
[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/6/461906-largest_1018103.jpg[/image]

2 of the 12 strand bundles were damaged. Anyone else cut their rope after a nasty fall and find core damage?
Since factor 2 falls are fortunately relatively uncommon, what are the details and circumstances surrounding this one?

Partner j_ung

Nov 19, 2010, 3:30 PM
Post #3 of 20 (5451 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Core Damage from Factor 2 Fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sittingduck lent me this picture to use in an article I wrote for Gear.com on rope thickness and belay devices. I used the shot to illustrate the forces involved in high-factor falls. The damage is where the belayer's clove hitch was.

jolery

Nov 19, 2010, 3:53 PM
Post #4 of 20 (5423 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Core Damage from Factor 2 Fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My climbing partner's buddy wanted to climb some 11c in the middle of nowhere. Getting to the start involved traversing 5th class terrain to a large ledge, with the ground dropping off as you traversed to the ledge - ledge was about 25-30 feet up. So all three of us get to the ledge, I set up a quick three point anchor at the only place I can get pro in, 2 cams behind a refrigerator sized block, and a small nut in a different feature. Climber starts off on route, maybe 10-15 feet to my left. First bolt is up maybe 10-15 feet. Climber plugs a cam in a chossy feature, continues on towards first bolt. A foothold or handhold breaks, climber falls, cam blows rock out (and over-rotates), climber falls past ledge I am belaying from, system snaps taut, everything holds but I get jerked off my feet. Big rock that precipitated the event hits climber in head - lots of blood everywhere. My climbing partner raps down and assists while I pack and lower our gear, and back lead off the ledge. Three frantic hours later we get him to the nearest ER. He ended up fine, lots of stitches, but no serious head trauma.

billl7

Nov 19, 2010, 4:16 PM
Post #5 of 20 (5407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jolery wrote:
My climbing partner's buddy wanted to climb some 11c in the middle of nowhere. Getting to the start involved traversing 5th class terrain to a large ledge, with the ground dropping off as you traversed to the ledge - ledge was about 25-30 feet up. So all three of us get to the ledge, I set up a quick three point anchor at the only place I can get pro in, 2 cams behind a refrigerator sized block, and a small nut in a different feature. Climber starts off on route, maybe 10-15 feet to my left. First bolt is up maybe 10-15 feet. Climber plugs a cam in a chossy feature, continues on towards first bolt. A foothold or handhold breaks, climber falls, cam blows rock out (and over-rotates), climber falls past ledge I am belaying from, system snaps taut, everything holds but I get jerked off my feet. Big rock that precipitated the event hits climber in head - lots of blood everywhere. My climbing partner raps down and assists while I pack and lower our gear, and back lead off the ledge. Three frantic hours later we get him to the nearest ER. He ended up fine, lots of stitches, but no serious head trauma.
Glad to hear he is going to be okay! Congrats on handling some serious forces. And thanks for sharing details.

Was there something external to the rope that caused the permanent kink? Edge of the ledge? Belay device?

Where was the part of the rope with the kink in relation to the rest of the system.

Bill L

jolery

Nov 19, 2010, 4:43 PM
Post #6 of 20 (5382 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billl7] Core Damage from Factor 2 Fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe the kinking was due to the belay device, a standard ATC. The ledge was quite rounded where the rope passed over the edge. I was tied into the anchor with the rope, and belaying directly off my harness. The kink/core damage was about 15-18 feet from the end of the rope.

jt512

Nov 19, 2010, 4:43 PM
Post #7 of 20 (5380 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

jolery wrote:

Every rope manufacturer says to retire a rope after a single serious fall. I guess we now why.

Jay

billl7

Nov 19, 2010, 4:46 PM
Post #8 of 20 (5376 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And besides the visible kink, the sheath wasn't damaged in that area?

jolery

Nov 19, 2010, 5:00 PM
Post #9 of 20 (5359 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billl7] Core Damage from Factor 2 Fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There was a fairly significant amount of sheath damage, but nowhere near a core-shot

Tipton

Nov 19, 2010, 5:45 PM
Post #10 of 20 (5327 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yikes. Good job on handling the situation.

Where were you climbing?

jolery

Nov 19, 2010, 6:26 PM
Post #11 of 20 (5288 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tipton] Core Damage from Factor 2 Fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We were at Cave Creek near Sam's Throne - the climb itself was at the far end of the routes - 30-60 minutes of bushwhacking and maneuvering over fallen trees.

markcarlson

Nov 19, 2010, 7:53 PM
Post #12 of 20 (5242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My partner took a 10-12m fall on near-vertical cheesegrater limestone with approx 40-45m of rope out. It was a wandering pitch and the rope got loaded in multiple places. We didn't feel the fall at the belay, (nor could we see it from where we were positioned,) so we think the rope got stuck in a crack or loaded heavily on an edge. 20m from the sharp end, there was a small cut half-way through the sheath on one side (half-way, as in the sheath was cut enough that it would unravel itself.)

I couldn't really feel any core damage by rolling the rope in my fingers. I chopped the rope anyway, and noticed that under the small cut, there were a few threads (filaments?) from the sheath melted to one of the core strands. No visible damage to the core strands.

It was a new rope with only a few pitches and no falls on it before this fall.

wwalt822

Nov 19, 2010, 8:31 PM
Post #13 of 20 (5208 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markcarlson] Core Damage from Factor 2 Fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Were the cut strands in the middle of the rope were they near the damaged sheath? If they were in the middle of the rope then they could have been damaged just by tensile force.

Also, how did you cut the sheath away from the core?

(This post was edited by wwalt822 on Nov 19, 2010, 8:32 PM)

sbaclimber

Nov 23, 2010, 9:41 AM
Post #14 of 20 (4999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jolery wrote:
Glad everyone came out alive.
Sounds like a good example of when a helmet might have been a good idea...!?

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Nov 23, 2010, 9:42 AM)

patto

Nov 23, 2010, 12:05 PM
Post #15 of 20 (4974 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great work on catching the fall.

Did any rope slip through your hand or the device? It is conventional theory that it is 'impossible' to hold a factor 2 without rope slippage.

jolery

Nov 23, 2010, 2:06 PM
Post #16 of 20 (4951 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] Core Damage from Factor 2 Fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:

Did any rope slip through your hand or the device? It is conventional theory that it is 'impossible' to hold a factor 2 without rope slippage.

I'm not aware of any rope slippage through the device or my hand - I didn't get any rope burns. Seems like if the rope slipped the energy would be dissipated over the slipped section of rope instead of at a single point. The fact that the core got damaged leads me to believe that there was no slippage as well.

patto

Nov 23, 2010, 2:43 PM
Post #17 of 20 (4940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jolery wrote:
patto wrote:

I'm not aware of any rope slippage through the device or my hand - I didn't get any rope burns. Seems like if the rope slipped the energy would be dissipated over the slipped section of rope instead of at a single point. The fact that the core got damaged leads me to believe that there was no slippage as well.

I would agree with you. The evidences points to limited or no slippage.

I have always suspected that the slippage theory isn't 100% accurate. If you hard lock off a device with a 180 angle the friction feels a hell of alot greater than the 8x that is often quoted.

But the going theory is that it is impossible to hold a factor 2 fall without slippage on a normal belay device.

(This post was edited by patto on Nov 23, 2010, 3:17 PM)

dolphja

Nov 23, 2010, 3:04 PM
Post #18 of 20 (4925 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jolery wrote:
patto wrote:

yea, good catch man. i talked to him a couple times about what happened and it just was a big loose rock on the route. pretty unusual for cave creek. i didn't catch the name of the route that he was on when it happened though. as far as a helmet preventing the injury, it would have reduced some of the injury but where the rock hit him in the face, the helmet at least would have slowed the impact a bit. i hope you don't have to waste too much of your rope though and here's only about 20' - 30' you gotta cut off

patto

Nov 23, 2010, 3:08 PM
Post #19 of 20 (4922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From the bottom of this:
http://www.bolt-products.com/Glue-inBoltDesign.htm
In reply to:
Belay devices in general are limited in their capabilities, something few climbers seem fully aware of. With only one exception no device available on the market is proven to be capable of stopping a climber in a reasonably long factor 2 fall and with most devices the belayer risks severe rope burns and loss of control even in considerably lower (less than 1) factor falls.
The energy involved in a long fall is considerable and the excess energy above that which the device can absorb is transferred into the belayers hand where it is converted into heat by friction. This rapidly causes the skin to heat up and friction burn whereupon an involountary reflex releases the grip. An acceptable amount of slip through a bare hand is variously given as 0.5m and 1.5m depending on the strength of the grip. Alternatively the Petzl Fall Simulator uses a threshhold of 1800J as the acceptable amount of energy before a rope burn warning is given, they allow much more rope (6+m) to slip through than I (and others) would consider reasonable to stop if not wearing gloves and in fact recommend (and illustrate in the instructions for their devices) the wearing of gloves for leader falls, something rarely seen today.

Jim Titt the author posts on this forum it would be interesting to here his opinion.

One thing to note was that he only used a 137degree rope angle. Not sure how much difference that makes.

jolery

Nov 23, 2010, 4:42 PM
Post #20 of 20 (4870 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wwalt822] Core Damage from Factor 2 Fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wwalt822 wrote:
Were the cut strands in the middle of the rope were they near the damaged sheath? If they were in the middle of the rope then they could have been damaged just by tensile force.

Also, how did you cut the sheath away from the core?

The cut strands were in the perimeter bundles. I cut the rope off about six inches from the damaged area, thin slid the sheath back for inspection.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook