RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Megsy

Nov 19, 2010, 5:03 PM
Post #1 of 22 (3026 views)
Shortcut

Beginner Shoes?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay, so I started rock climbing a couple weeks ago and I've been having a blast so I decided to get myself a pair of shoes. I went to EMS and picked up a pair of the Evolv Elektras but after climbing in them last night I think I got a size too small (my feet still hurt today). So I was going to exchange them for a larger size. However, I also found out that because I work for a running store, I can get a great deal on Scarpas. And if I'm going to bring the Evolvs back, I might as well look at some other options right?

So, I've been looking at the Force and Veloce, or I can stick with the Elektra. I climb indoors at a gym and am a super beginner.

Also, I'll be going back to EMS to try them all on but what should I really be looking for in a shoe when I'm trying them on anyways?

alpinismo_flujo

Nov 19, 2010, 5:10 PM
Post #2 of 22 (3022 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Megsy] Beginner Shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

IMO: a pair that is board lasted..unless you already have strong feet from all the running?

erisspirit

Nov 19, 2010, 5:40 PM
Post #3 of 22 (3005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would start with almost any cheap "intro" pair that is comfortable. Avoid any ones with aggressive downturn for now. As a beginner you are still learning technique and will blow through those shoes faster. Some rubber is more durable some is stickier, but in the end as a beginner you won't notice too much. Them being comfortable (for climbing shoes) will help as you get used to them.

I don't say a brand/style because each shoe is different and fit different. One that fits your friend brilliantly might be really uncomfortable to you.

I started with La sportiva cliffs, my BF started with scarpa, brother with five tens etc

Colinhoglund

Nov 19, 2010, 5:50 PM
Post #4 of 22 (2995 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ditto ^^^^^^

Find a snug but less than painful laceup from a brand that fits you. Most velcro shoes are a step more aggressive then their laceup counterparts, and therefore more uncomfortable. Ie. evolv royale, scarpa thunder, la sportiva nago or cliff, and the 5.10 fox. Try as many as possible and pick the one that fells best while worn tight.

jt512

Nov 19, 2010, 6:09 PM
Post #5 of 22 (2982 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alpinismo_flujo] Beginner Shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

alpinismo_flujo wrote:
IMO: a pair that is board lasted..unless you already have strong feet from all the running?

Board lasted? Does anybody even make a board lasted shoe anymore? (Even if they do, it's terrible advice.)

Jay

jinetomy

Nov 19, 2010, 6:24 PM
Post #6 of 22 (2965 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I get a cheap shoes from www.shoes-trader.com
Attachments: Supra shoes.jpg (74.0 KB)

Colinhoglund

Nov 19, 2010, 6:31 PM
Post #7 of 22 (2958 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jinetomy] Beginner Shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jinetomy wrote:
I get a cheap shoes from www.shoes-trader.com

To the clueless spammer . . . get lost!

Partner j_ung

Nov 19, 2010, 6:59 PM
Post #8 of 22 (2935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jinetomy wrote:
I get a cheap shoes from www.isuckadonkeydick.com

Get bent and then get lost. Asshole.

OP, you want fit and comfort above all else in a shoe that performs well in a variety of settings. Agressive, down-turned shoes may not work out for you, nor shoes that tend to be less forgiving to poor technique, such as many slippers.

I think your Elektras were probably a pretty good choice of make/model, if not size.

alpinismo_flujo

Nov 19, 2010, 7:04 PM
Post #9 of 22 (2928 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Beginner Shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
alpinismo_flujo wrote:

Board lasted? Does anybody even make a board lasted shoe anymore? (Even if they do, it's terrible advice.)

Jay

hmm maybe they don't - haven't had a pair in years, but why would that be bad to start with for beginner?

jt512

Nov 19, 2010, 7:07 PM
Post #10 of 22 (2925 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

alpinismo_flujo wrote:
jt512 wrote:
alpinismo_flujo wrote:

Jay

hmm maybe they don't - haven't had a pair in years, but why would that be bad to start with for beginner?

Because they're too insensitive. Beginners need to use their feet well on holds. Board-lasted shoes make that all but impossible.

Jay

alpinismo_flujo

Nov 19, 2010, 7:20 PM
Post #11 of 22 (2910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well yes they have less sensitivity but they provide(d) a platform for weak feet.

Styles come back around..wouldn't be surprised to see them reinvented as the "norm" someday but in cool colors that makes everyone want a solid pair of Aces again..LOL..whatever - love my Mythos for now.

How about socks; think they'll come back around? Sly

Partner j_ung

Nov 19, 2010, 7:37 PM
Post #12 of 22 (2888 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I stopped wearing board-lasted shoes sometime in the mid nineties and never went back. Unless somebody had some sort of foot injury, I think they were straight horrible.

SillyG

Nov 19, 2010, 8:35 PM
Post #13 of 22 (2870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I just started too, about a month into my favorite new lifestyle activity. After talking with folks, I decided to go with a snug, yet comfortable pair of shoes that aren't aggressively arched. Picked up a pair of Mad Rock Flash and love them.

Some people I talked with say that the shoes should be so tight they hurt, but from my perspective the shoes I wear (as long as they are decent) contribute so little to my overall skill that it really doesn't matter. I'd rather be comfortable than in pain. My feeling is that when I've gotten to a point where super tight shoes will make a difference, I'll actually care enough to wear the pain-cages. Laugh

I also wear socks, the ultra-light "invisible" below the ankle types. Sue me. Tongue

kennoyce

Nov 19, 2010, 9:26 PM
Post #14 of 22 (2850 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SillyG] Beginner Shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

SillyG wrote:
Some people I talked with say that the shoes should be so tight they hurt, but from my perspective the shoes I wear (as long as they are decent) contribute so little to my overall skill that it really doesn't matter. I'd rather be comfortable than in pain. My feeling is that when I've gotten to a point where super tight shoes will make a difference, I'll actually care enough to wear the pain-cages.

While being painful can ruin a good day of climbing, having shoes that don't fit well will certainly impede progression. I would say that if you get a shoe that is non-synthetic you should get it tight enough that it hurts because it will stretch to the point of being comfey fairly quickly. You obviously don't want them so tight that you can't even climb in them, but if they are leather and feel comfortable in the store, give it a couple of weeks and they will be to big.

Just my 2 cents.

marc801

Nov 19, 2010, 10:37 PM
Post #15 of 22 (2822 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] Beginner Shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

kennoyce wrote:
While being painful can ruin a good day of climbing, having shoes that don't fit well will certainly impede progression. I would say that if you get a shoe that is non-synthetic you should get it tight enough that it hurts because it will stretch to the point of being comfey fairly quickly. You obviously don't want them so tight that you can't even climb in them, but if they are leather and feel comfortable in the store, give it a couple of weeks and they will be to big.
All of that is correct - for the width. But the length of the shoe, which is the size, is determined by the mid-sole and the rubber outer sole, and those just don't stretch more than 1/8-1/4 size, if at all.

j_amie_

Nov 20, 2010, 3:19 AM
Post #16 of 22 (2793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I Started with a pair of 5.10 Spires, FYI they stretch alot...

Comfy shoe though.

jbro_135

Nov 20, 2010, 10:42 PM
Post #17 of 22 (2727 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Beginner Shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
kennoyce wrote:
All of that is correct - for the width. But the length of the shoe, which is the size, is determined by the mid-sole and the rubber outer sole, and those just don't stretch more than 1/8-1/4 size, if at all.

Kennoyce is right on, you are wrong, shoes stretch more than that. Maybe you have fat feet?

sp115

Nov 20, 2010, 11:51 PM
Post #18 of 22 (2718 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbro_135] Beginner Shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just to prove this discussion topic never has a clear answer - I've never had a pair of shoes that hurt when new and then stretched to be comfortable.

I now size my shoes out of the box to be very snug but not painful. If I stand on the climbing wall in the store and I'm in pain, then I go up a a half-size until the pain stops.

Tight to the point of pain for a beginner is a bad recommendation in my opinion.

vegastradguy

Nov 21, 2010, 3:26 AM
Post #19 of 22 (2683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Megsy wrote:

Also, I'll be going back to EMS to try them all on but what should I really be looking for in a shoe when I'm trying them on anyways?

a snug, but not painful fit. dead air should be kept to a minimum. your toes should be nearly flat or slightly bent. you basically should be able to wear them around the gym with little discomfort at first and within a few sessions, be able to wear them all night.

theres no reason to have pain at your experience level, even if the shoe stretches somewhat, it wont matter that much for you as by the time you have the skillset that a super-snug shoe is needed, you'll be on your third or fourth pair of shoes.

ive noticed that its a little tougher for women, due to the lack of low volume shoes out there. Get the shoe that fits the best. The most popular women's shoes i've seen are the Elektra, the Anasazi LV, and the Women's Muira.

jt512

Nov 21, 2010, 4:11 AM
Post #20 of 22 (2674 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Beginner Shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
Megsy wrote:

a snug, but not painful fit. dead air should be kept to a minimum. your toes should be nearly flat or slightly bent. you basically should be able to wear them around the gym with little discomfort at first and within a few sessions, be able to wear them all night.

theres no reason to have pain at your experience level, even if the shoe stretches somewhat, it wont matter that much for you as by the time you have the skillset that a super-snug shoe is needed, you'll be on your third or fourth pair of shoes.

Disagree that toes flat is desirable at any climbing level for bouldering, sport, or gym climbing. Climbing with the toes flat in the shoe will teach bad footwork for these climbing disciplines right from the start. There's nothing good about that. The beginner should find a shoe where the toes are moderately curled, but not painful. I usually suggest that, for a synthetic shoe, the beginner get the smallest size that can be worn pain free in the store for 15 minutes. For a natural leather shoe, find that size and then go down one-half a US size, and break the shoes in at home before taking them to the crag or gym. The shoes should quickly stretch to the point of being comfortable.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Nov 21, 2010, 4:33 AM)

i_h8_choss

Nov 21, 2010, 4:38 AM
Post #21 of 22 (2665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this is not the only kind of pain yer gonna get from rock climbing. might be time to step up yer pain threshold a bit....huh?

vegastradguy

Nov 21, 2010, 7:03 AM
Post #22 of 22 (2642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Disagree that toes flat is desirable at any climbing level for bouldering, sport, or gym climbing. Climbing with the toes flat in the shoe will teach bad footwork for these climbing disciplines right from the start.

i think we're saying pretty much the same thing. 'nearly flat/slightly bent' and 'moderately curled'- same thing, really.

that said, i dont believe that if the shoe fits correctly (no dead space, toes to the end of the shoe), flat toes are going to teach bad footwork. i've never bought into that belief of climbing shoes- instead, i just focused on good footwork and my shoe choices evolved over time to accomodate what i needed out of a shoe. initially, though, i dont believe the shoe makes any difference whatsoever as long as it fits the foot correctly.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook