Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Double rope, twin rope, which do I get?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Poll: Double rope, twin rope, which do I get?
Double Rope 28 / 93%
Twin Rope 2 / 7%
30 total votes

petsfed

Nov 29, 2010, 7:35 PM
Post #1 of 46 (6126 views)
Shortcut

Double rope, twin rope, which do I get?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Its time I finally got a 2-rope system. Mostly I'll be using it for ice climbing, although it will see use as a multi-pitch trad option to limit the weight of carrying two full-size ropes.

Anybody have experience on both? I don't like meandering routes, but that really has no bearing on how often i end up climbing them, especially in the alpine realm.

shoo

Nov 29, 2010, 7:49 PM
Post #2 of 46 (6111 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Double rope, twin rope, which do I get? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
Its time I finally got a 2-rope system. Mostly I'll be using it for ice climbing, although it will see use as a multi-pitch trad option to limit the weight of carrying two full-size ropes.

Anybody have experience on both? I don't like meandering routes, but that really has no bearing on how often i end up climbing them, especially in the alpine realm.

Go with doubles, definitely.

Thoughts on twins: I really hated using twins on ice. Really skinny ropes, freezing hands, and gloves made for lots of fumbling. They are slightly nicer to belay with, though, since you don't have to do the feeding in opposite directions thing you have to do with doubles.

Thoughts on doubles: obviously, really nice for wandering routes as you mentioned. The 8.5s I use (mammut genesis) are beefy enough that I feel comfortable using one as a single for light 'n fast

billcoe_

Nov 29, 2010, 7:52 PM
Post #3 of 46 (6106 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Double rope, twin rope, which do I get? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/...mm_dynamic_rope.html
Metolius has the lightest doubles out there, lighter than some twins. The doubles work as twins but not the reverse.Places like Red Rocks is great to treat them as a single rope, clipping them together into each piece of pro. You get to the top and have 2 ropes to rap.

malcolm777b

Nov 29, 2010, 7:56 PM
Post #4 of 46 (6097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:

Half ropes for sure. Just because you don't like meandering routes doesn't mean that you won't find advantages all over the place. And when you're making a strenuous clip near the decking zone, it's much nicer to know that the loop of slack that you just pulled isn't going to end with you on the ground if you blow it.

bill413

Nov 29, 2010, 8:15 PM
Post #5 of 46 (6082 views)
Shortcut

Re: [malcolm777b] Double rope, twin rope, which do I get? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Doubles for all the reasons given. You can choose to use doubles as twins (I suppose there might be exceptions to that) but generally you can't go the other way.

Partner j_ung

Nov 29, 2010, 9:29 PM
Post #6 of 46 (6031 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Double rope, twin rope, which do I get? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
Doubles for all the reasons given. You can choose to use doubles as twins (I suppose there might be exceptions to that) but generally you can't go the other way.

I haven't used doubles since the nineties some time, so take this for what it is: the musing of, for all intents and purposes, a doubles gumby. That said, I was under the impression that it didn't necessarily go either way, and that it was actually a pretty bad idea to do so, unless the rope maker specifically states go for it.

Colinhoglund

Nov 29, 2010, 10:18 PM
Post #7 of 46 (6015 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Double rope, twin rope, which do I get? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
I haven't used doubles since the nineties some time, so take this for what it is: the musing of, for all intents and purposes, a doubles gumby. That said, I was under the impression that it didn't necessarily go either way, and that it was actually a pretty bad idea to do so, unless the rope maker specifically states go for it.

1+
From everything I've been taught halfs don't really work as twins because of the increased impact force clipping both pieces creates (a problem twins have anyways). You CAN do it, but your putting much more force on your system/protection. IMO this would contradict one of the best bonuses of halfs, which is the decreased impact force on your protection. It's also kinda annoying to have to clip twice at each piece. As well you can use halfs for a party of three. Which is something not recommended with twins.

Twins seem to me to be a bastardization of the weaknesses of both halfs and singles. You get some of the benefits of each, but gain all the weaknesses. For example you gain full rappels, but twins are heavier than singles. Twins are lighter than halfs, but not as dynamic or durable.
My 2¢, I have a single and a set of mammut Genesis and love them.

malcolm777b

Nov 29, 2010, 11:18 PM
Post #8 of 46 (5999 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Colinhoglund] Double rope, twin rope, which do I get? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Colinhoglund wrote:
j_ung wrote:

1+
From everything I've been taught halfs don't really work as twins because of the increased impact force clipping both pieces creates (a problem twins have anyways). You CAN do it, but your putting much more force on your system/protection. IMO this would contradict one of the best bonuses of halfs, which is the decreased impact force on your protection. It's also kinda annoying to have to clip twice at each piece. As well you can use halfs for a party of three. Which is something not recommended with twins.

Twins seem to me to be a bastardization of the weaknesses of both halfs and singles. You get some of the benefits of each, but gain all the weaknesses. For example you gain full rappels, but twins are heavier than singles. Twins are lighter than halfs, but not as dynamic or durable.

Read this thread:
http://www.mountainproject.com/...or_the_gym/106947682

bearbreeder

Nov 29, 2010, 11:30 PM
Post #9 of 46 (5987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

twins do have the advantage of being lighter and easier to manage than doubles

bill413

Nov 29, 2010, 11:37 PM
Post #10 of 46 (5981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, you folks have sent me looking.

Sterling's site does not mention using twins as halves or halves as twins. (At least in my 60 seconds of searching).
Mammut's site says
In reply to:
Half ropes, with regard to strength and weight, lie between single and twin ropes. They only offer standard safety when they are used as a pair. But here you have the choice between twin rope technique, where both ropes run parallel through the protection and half rope technique, where the «left» and «right» ropes run separately through different protection points.
So, they seem to endorse it.

Edelrid's site didn't seem to present much information (again, very cursory search).
Same for BlueWater

Beal says
In reply to:
And if you climb on bomb-proof runners? (Bolts, screws…) is it still necessary to separate the strands ?
Most often it is unnecessary, runners are in general in line (Preferable, if necessary, to lengthen with extenders to bring them in line with the rope).
As these points are not unpredictable, and they don’t risk failing because of a too-high impact force, it will be preferable to clip the strands of rope together in order to help to resist the repeated falls which characterise routes safeguarded by bomb-proof anchor points.
Although they also state that on less than perfect pro you don't want to clip both strands (20-25% increase in impact force!).

My thoughts. If you are at an intermediate belay, and the leader heads out on doubles (2 half ropes) and falls, you are looking at a high fall factor. But, at least in my experience, rarely are both strands totally equal - usually one strand will catch first, then the other. So, while in theory you're being caught by two strands, which would result in a high force; in practice you are caught by one strand, decelerated, then caught by the other. Not as bad. Realistically, most falls are at low FF, so the impact force is less severe.

Overall: I'm comfortable using halves as twins (although I won't bring them back together after separating), but could possibly be persuaded otherwise.

malcolm777b

Nov 29, 2010, 11:52 PM
Post #11 of 46 (5971 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Increase in impact force is force*SQRT(2) using rope modeling (you can see why from that thread or from a rope modeling derivation). In reality, you are adding a second knot that is tightened, ropes have a non-linear impact force curve, and the ropes will never be fully equal in amount of rope out. I even question the reported number of 20-25%. I wish I had the equipment to figure this out for sure.

Colinhoglund

Nov 30, 2010, 1:00 AM
Post #12 of 46 (5937 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And your point is????

Colinhoglund

Nov 30, 2010, 1:24 AM
Post #13 of 46 (5924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bold = Me.

bill413 wrote:
Well, you folks have sent me looking.

Sterling's site does not mention using twins as halves or halves as twins. (At least in my 60 seconds of searching).
Mammut's site says
In reply to:
Half ropes, with regard to strength and weight, lie between single and twin ropes. They only offer standard safety when they are used as a pair. But here you have the choice between twin rope technique, where both ropes run parallel through the protection and half rope technique, where the «left» and «right» ropes run separately through different protection points.
So, they seem to endorse it.
So it is possible, and endorsed by some.

Edelrid's site didn't seem to present much information (again, very cursory search).
Same for BlueWater

Beal says
In reply to:
And if you climb on bomb-proof runners? (Bolts, screws…) is it still necessary to separate the strands ?
Most often it is unnecessary, runners are in general in line (Preferable, if necessary, to lengthen with extenders to bring them in line with the rope).
As these points are not unpredictable, and they don’t risk failing because of a too-high impact force, it will be preferable to clip the strands of rope together in order to help to resist the repeated falls which characterise routes safeguarded by bomb-proof anchor points.
Although they also state that on less than perfect pro you don't want to clip both strands (20-25% increase in impact force!).
My point exactly. You could use halfs as twins, but with an impact force penalty

My thoughts. If you are at an intermediate belay, and the leader heads out on doubles (2 half ropes) and falls, you are looking at a high fall factor. But, at least in my experience, rarely are both strands totally equal - usually one strand will catch first, then the other. So, while in theory you're being caught by two strands, which would result in a high force; in practice you are caught by one strand, decelerated, then caught by the other. Not as bad. Realistically, most falls are at low FF, so the impact force is less severe.

Overall: I'm comfortable using halves as twins (although I won't bring them back together after separating), but could possibly be persuaded otherwise.
Your comfortable, I wouldn't outright recommend it; but also wouldn't go so far as to say "yer gonna die" either

Also I would like to use the Beal Joker as a case study. The impact forces for the UIAA test are Single 8.2 Half 6 and Twin 9.5. Lets ignore the Half test as it uses a lesser weight (55 not 80kg). The single test records about 14% less impact force then the twin test. If we use this as our baseline then a 5.5kn fall force on a top piece w/ one half would turn into a 6.3kn fall with both halfs (hypothetically). This could make the difference between a small cam or a less than perfect screw holding or not. However because of your above argument that both strands will not have the same amount of slack out I agree you would fall on one first, then the other (if at all???? slack dependant) which would probably make the 14% even smaller in a real world situation.

Thanks, you gave me some other info to think about Bill. I'll restate my position, in some circumstances you could use halfs as twins. So the only argument for twins then would purely be a weight perspective then. (unless I'm missing something????)

Hopefully our conversation helps the OP.

malcolm777b

Nov 30, 2010, 2:06 AM
Post #14 of 46 (5912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Colinhoglund wrote:
And your point is????

If I need to spell it out for you- I think the increased impact force caused by using a twin rope system is exaggerated in real world scenarios.

England

Nov 30, 2010, 2:11 AM
Post #15 of 46 (5902 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like Bluewater ice floss. Great for ice, and alpine.

malcolm777b

Nov 30, 2010, 2:37 AM
Post #16 of 46 (5887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Colinhoglund wrote:
Also I would like to use the Beal Joker as a case study. The impact forces for the UIAA test are Single 8.2 Half 6 and Twin 9.5. Lets ignore the Half test as it uses a lesser weight (55 not 80kg). The single test records about 14% less impact force then the twin test. If we use this as our baseline then a 5.5kn fall force on a top piece w/ one half would turn into a 6.3kn fall with both halfs (hypothetically). This could make the difference between a small cam or a less than perfect screw holding or not. However because of your above argument that both strands will not have the same amount of slack out I agree you would fall on one first, then the other (if at all???? slack dependant) which would probably make the 14% even smaller in a real world situation.
As fall factor goes down, you should also see a decrease in the % difference for a twin rope system because of the shape of the force-elongation curves. In the link I previously referred to, there is a graph posted with ratio of forces (doubled rope to single strand), showing the affect of fall factor. Since fall factors in the real world are almost always much lower than in the UIAA drop test, this should also be taken into account.

Also, I believe the UIAA test has the twin tied in with one figure eight knot (with both ropes). I would imagine that since most people tie in with 2 separate knots, the knots would absorb more of the impact force in the real world.

In reply to:
Thanks, you gave me some other info to think about Bill. I'll restate my position, in some circumstances you could use halfs as twins. So the only argument for twins then would purely be a weight perspective then. (unless I'm missing something????)
Twins that aren't rated as a half rope should theoretically have a lower peak impact force than a rope rated as a half-rope and not a twin (when the half rope is used in twin configuration). So, if you need the redundancy of two ropes on each piece, AND want a lower peak impact force, that's a reason to go with twins. That sure sounds like a very specific scenario though, and not a compelling reason for twins.

dan2see

Nov 30, 2010, 2:59 AM
Post #17 of 46 (5876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do doubles.

Pair up with a buddy's double, or use only yours.

I am uncomfortable with all the calculations and scenarios the guys write about. I'd rather use a simple, robust system, and stick to consistent methods. When I'm on the rocks, I don't want to start thinking about a "better" way to use the gear I climbed with. I'd rather clip-and-go.

Partner climboard

Nov 30, 2010, 3:02 AM
Post #18 of 46 (5875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go with the half ropes, they are more versatile. I use the Mammut Genesis and switch between twin and half rope technique depending on the situation. If you want to save weight go with an 8mm like the Mammut Phoenix.

malcolm777b

Nov 30, 2010, 3:12 AM
Post #19 of 46 (5871 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] Double rope, twin rope, which do I get? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
I am uncomfortable with all the calculations and scenarios the guys write about. I'd rather use a simple, robust system, and stick to consistent methods. When I'm on the rocks, I don't want to start thinking about a "better" way to use the gear I climbed with. I'd rather clip-and-go.

What do you mean you are "uncomfortable with the calculations and scenarios"? Do you mean that you don't understand the math associated with it, or does the thought of a climber doing these things actually bother you? Shouldn't you know the extent of your gear and how it should be used prior to getting on the rock?

dugl33

Nov 30, 2010, 3:37 AM
Post #20 of 46 (5861 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Colinhoglund wrote:
j_ung wrote:

1+

Maybe nitpicking a bit, but quite a few new skinny ropes are rated to be used as both twins and doubles. If you look at the rope specs the impact force for clipping both ropes is higher than clipping just one, but not higher than a typical single 10.5 mm rope.

I have PMI verglas 8.1 mm ropes and my buddy has Metolius monster 7.8mm ropes. His are definitely lighter, and added together are about the same weight and volume of a single 10.5. I went with the PMIs because I wanted something a bit beefier, but if weight is really crucial to you the monsters are pretty nice.

Regarding pulling up rope twice, I've never done this running ropes twin style -- I just pull the pair up together and clip at the same time.

dan2see

Nov 30, 2010, 4:49 AM
Post #21 of 46 (5843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

malcolm777b wrote:
dan2see wrote:

What do you mean you are "uncomfortable with the calculations and scenarios"? Do you mean that you don't understand the math associated with it, or does the thought of a climber doing these things actually bother you? Shouldn't you know the extent of your gear and how it should be used prior to getting on the rock?

No.

I am careful to select gear that I think will work, and I practice knots and routines. But that's at home.

On the rocks, is not the time to second-guess the scenario, or work the calculations. On the rocks, I've got the gear, and the rest is mostly clip-and-go.

Colinhoglund

Nov 30, 2010, 7:06 AM
Post #22 of 46 (5817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

malcolm777b wrote:
Twins that aren't rated as a half rope should theoretically have a lower peak impact force than a rope rated as a half-rope and not a twin (when the half rope is used in twin configuration). So, if you need the redundancy of two ropes on each piece, AND want a lower peak impact force, that's a reason to go with twins. That sure sounds like a very specific scenario though, and not a compelling reason for twins.

So in conclusion, the result of our conversation is that half ropes are more versatile. They will work as twins if you want them to unless your really concerned about weight, or if you are concerned that there is a possibility of increased impact forces on your gear. While still being more durable, able to catch a fall on their own (aka double rope technique) and easier to control through a belay device because of increased friction. Everybody happy nowWink?

malcolm777b

Nov 30, 2010, 7:14 AM
Post #23 of 46 (5817 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] Double rope, twin rope, which do I get? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
malcolm777b wrote:
dan2see wrote:

No.

I am careful to select gear that I think will work, and I practice knots and routines. But that's at home.

On the rocks, is not the time to second-guess the scenario, or work the calculations. On the rocks, I've got the gear, and the rest is mostly clip-and-go.

That makes a lot more sense than what I thought you had meant. I end up thinking a lot more than "clip-and-go" though, when I'm on the rock. Not necessarily calculations, but direction of pull on gear related to how the piece is oriented, picturing angles that will be made in the rope and the proper extension to mitigate rope drag, how many pieces I have between me and an impact hazard, etc, etc.

brokesomeribs

Nov 30, 2010, 9:43 AM
Post #24 of 46 (5781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got a set of Metolius Monster 7.8 ropes. Really nice, handle well, and obviously very lightweight. Good dry coating too. My gripes are that it tangles more readily than any other rope I've ever owned (although they are 7.8mm and the next skinniest cord I've got is a Mammut 9.5). It is CRITICAL with these ropes that you uncoil them from the package properly. I took mine down to the climbing gym where I could lay them flat nearly end to end, then pulled them through a biner hanging from the rafters to work the kinks out. They still managed to tangle up repeatedly on the first 5-10 pitches I used them for.

I use them on multipitch ice (or winter alpine) exclusively. 7.8 is below my comfort level for regular rock cragging where surfaces are more abrasive and I'm way more likely to fall. I have a feeling my next set of doubles will be slightly thicker, only because I'll feel better about using them for cragging. I use cheap fat single 60M or 70M ropes for regular days out at my local choss pile (AKA The Gunks).

jaablink

Nov 30, 2010, 1:50 PM
Post #25 of 46 (5753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I own and have owned sets of both twins and doubles. They both have their advantages and disadvantages.
I do prefer the doubles to the twins myself in most situations. A couple of things to keep in mind though, they both do not hold up well to abrasions from the rock , they work well /best on the smooth ice, and they are not a work horse. I mean its best if this is not your primary cragging lines.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook