RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

cyclingkid

Dec 20, 2010, 1:36 AM
Post #1 of 16 (3578 views)
Shortcut

Just starting out! Plenty of ?s
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello, I've been wanting to get into climbing my entire life, and I've finally decided to get my ass out there and start. A few things about me: I'm 15 years old(still a youngin), I'm in love with the outdoors, and I'm very successful nature photographer, and my main sport at the moment is competitive cycling, and nordic skiing during the off season. I think this is a great community, and I can't wait to start learning from everyone.

I live in central MN at the moment, and I've been to the local indoor wall and love it, so I bought a semester pass, but I'm trying to decide if I should try to learn ice climbing during the winter (probably after ski season) or if I should just stick with indoor walls until spring. I have pretty much no experience with outdoor climbing, so would it be a good idea to try to learn ice first? Or should I wait until I have experience with top roping, sport, lead, ect. Before climbing ice?

As a competitive cyclist I'm very lean and in great shape, but, like many cyclists, I have a very unproportionate body. What I mean by this is, I have huge treetrunk-like legs, and hardly a thing on my upper body. I know that after climbing on a regular basis I will gain some muscle up top, but I'm more worried about having huge heavy legs to weigh me down... Do you think this will negatively affect my climbing? I know having very strong legs is a great skill to have in climbing, but when I look at photos of climbers, even though they have strong legs, they're still quite thin legs. For me, theres not an inch of fat on my legs, but they're just so damn huge! I know this is probably a pretty dumb thing to think about, and the most important thing is to get out there and start climbing, but perhaps there are other past-cyclists on this forum that has the same experience? Thanks. Joe
PS you can check out my photography blog at http://josephsulik.blogspot.com

(This post was edited by cyclingkid on Dec 20, 2010, 1:36 AM)

uni_jim

Dec 20, 2010, 2:20 AM
Post #2 of 16 (3550 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cyclingkid] Just starting out! Plenty of ?s [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

congrats on the double-whammy t-rex syndrome! Cycling AND nordic skiing??? Yer arms are gonna get HUGE!!!

uni_jim

Dec 20, 2010, 2:24 AM
Post #3 of 16 (3544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh, and VERY impressive photos!!! Right on!

skiclimb

Dec 20, 2010, 2:48 AM
Post #4 of 16 (3525 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uni_jim] Just starting out! Plenty of ?s [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Holy crap you weren't kidding about being a successful photographer. AWESOME!!

And hmm if you get as serious about climbing as you have been with everything else I suspect you will gain some significant upper body mass as pertaining to XC and biking.

Hey it won't hurt a bit to pursue ice outdoor climbing before rock outdoor climbing. A little unusual as most people have easier access to rock than Ice but I know a few Valdez locals that have only ever climbed ice..lol

How much will that impact your performance.. hell if i know..

Which will you enjoy and wish to pursue though..

I'd bet on climbing !!

We could ALWAYS use more great climbing photographers!!!!

(This post was edited by skiclimb on Dec 20, 2010, 2:52 AM)

theextremist04

Dec 20, 2010, 2:56 AM
Post #5 of 16 (3521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As another cyclist who got into climbing (though I like dirt more than pavement) I thought I'd let you know that no, have guads won't negatively impact you, short of you being a track cyclist. Just climb a lot; I might say don't worry about ice climbing for a while, but that's also because it's not quite as accessible as other types of climbing. Work in the gym over the winter, get outside when you can. Try to find people to climb with.

Oh, and as another photog/climber/cyclist, nice pictures.

cyclingkid

Dec 20, 2010, 4:20 AM
Post #6 of 16 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skiclimb] Just starting out! Plenty of ?s [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
How much will that impact your performance.. hell if i know..

Which will you enjoy and wish to pursue though..

I'd bet on climbing !!

My thoughts exactly! Although my experience with climbing at the moment is small, the climbing lifestyle is really what I've always been attracted to. Although I have great potential for road biking, and I'm doing VERY well for my age, the life of a pro, or even Semi-pro cyclist just isn't the life for me. I know many cyclists who have gone pro/semi pro, and they always say that it consumes your entire life. Now that doesn't sound too bad, but I'd much rather be totally consumed in a sport where your constantly out in nature and with friends. Plus being a poor nature photographer kind of goes hand in hand with being a climber, rather than a spandex wearing, leg shaving, cyclist.(plus it would be impossible to be a Nat Geo photographer AND a pro cyclist, but it also could go hand in hand with climbing Wink ) Thanks for the replies so far everyone! and thanks for the kind words about my photography! As for ice, I asked because there is a company called Vertical Endeavors in my state thats the top climbing company in the area, and they do an intro ice climbing lesson and a full Ice climbing trip during the winter. Its pricey, $200 for the intro, $500 for the trip, I have the money, but I think I'd rather spend it on gear... Besides, as helpful as learning from a company would be, I think the fun is learning from a group of people that actually just wanna have fun, rather than make a profit.

qwert

Dec 20, 2010, 10:00 AM
Post #7 of 16 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cyclingkid wrote:
Plus being a poor nature photographer kind of goes hand in hand with being a climber, rather than a spandex wearing, leg shaving, cyclist.
dont worry, spandex and lycra are quite good for climbing too Laugh

Other than that:

I could imagine that "huge legs" can be a hindrance for the highest grades (as you have already seen, the pros are all rather lightweights), but for casual climbing, and actually quite a bit more than that, i wouldnt worry about my legs.
Also, if you really want to start with ice (or even alpinism?) strong legs will be a bonus, since ice climbing itself (and long approaches with a heavy pack) ice quite a bit harder on the legs than "normal climbing".

Starting with ice? Yes, it can be done, but its not something thats done very often, since ice does require a bit more commitment than most other aspects of climbing. look here for some info on beginning ice, and search around a bit, or browse through some threads here to get an idea of the suffering and stupidity that is ice climbing Wink.
As long as you are going with a guide company or someone experienced, and dont get the idea to start leading to early, i dont see a problem, but i still would consider it rather unusual.
That said: At our climbing group, we took two beginners with us on our ice trip. It was their first time outdoors ever, and they did very well. Though they where never to be seen again after that...
Just dont make the mistake of reading some stuff on the internet, buying a shitton of gear, and then go out with someone who is also unexperienced. While this is never a good idea, on ice its even more dangerous.

Oh, and before i forget about it:
-U R gunna die!
-read a book
-go out with someone experienced
-welcome to RC.n00b
Wink

qwert

bearbreeder

Dec 20, 2010, 10:07 AM
Post #8 of 16 (3417 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

youll be fine ... especially with alpine ... youll need those legs for the slogs up

damn ... this photo of yours is just sooo unbearably cute ... makes me wanna get out a rifle Tongue

LostinMaine

Dec 20, 2010, 11:37 AM
Post #9 of 16 (3405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cyclingkid wrote:
Hello, I've been wanting to get into climbing my entire life, and I've finally decided to get my ass out there and start. A few things about me: I'm 15 years old(still a youngin), I'm in love with the outdoors, and I'm very successful nature photographer, and my main sport at the moment is competitive cycling, and nordic skiing during the off season. I think this is a great community, and I can't wait to start learning from everyone.

I live in central MN at the moment, and I've been to the local indoor wall and love it, so I bought a semester pass, but I'm trying to decide if I should try to learn ice climbing during the winter (probably after ski season) or if I should just stick with indoor walls until spring. I have pretty much no experience with outdoor climbing, so would it be a good idea to try to learn ice first? Or should I wait until I have experience with top roping, sport, lead, ect. Before climbing ice?

As a competitive cyclist I'm very lean and in great shape, but, like many cyclists, I have a very unproportionate body. What I mean by this is, I have huge treetrunk-like legs, and hardly a thing on my upper body. I know that after climbing on a regular basis I will gain some muscle up top, but I'm more worried about having huge heavy legs to weigh me down... Do you think this will negatively affect my climbing? I know having very strong legs is a great skill to have in climbing, but when I look at photos of climbers, even though they have strong legs, they're still quite thin legs. For me, theres not an inch of fat on my legs, but they're just so damn huge! I know this is probably a pretty dumb thing to think about, and the most important thing is to get out there and start climbing, but perhaps there are other past-cyclists on this forum that has the same experience? Thanks. Joe
PS you can check out my photography blog at http://josephsulik.blogspot.com

Fantastic photos. What gear are you using?

The only issue with cycling and climbing that I know of is that it can be a real challenge to find a harness that fits you well. Shop around a bit and try a bunch on. Surely one will fit tree stump legs and a tiny waist.

Partner j_ung

Dec 20, 2010, 12:40 PM
Post #10 of 16 (3393 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Edit to remove quote.

While extra weight is never really a bonus, it's better muscle than fat and better down below than up high. And as for ice vs. indoor... As long as you get some decent instruction or have an experienced partner, there is no reason not to go ice climbing tomorrow.

Except for school. Tongue

(This post was edited by j_ung on Dec 20, 2010, 12:41 PM)

stefanohatari

Dec 20, 2010, 1:51 PM
Post #11 of 16 (3370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

As for ice, I asked because there is a company called Vertical Endeavors in my state thats the top climbing company in the area, and they do an intro ice climbing lesson and a full Ice climbing trip during the winter. Its pricey, $200 for the intro, $500 for the trip, I have the money, but I think I'd rather spend it on gear... Besides, as helpful as learning from a company would be, I think the fun is learning from a group of people that actually just wanna have fun, rather than make a profit.

As an ex-VE employee who has been on the ice-climbing classes and trips, I'd say, Don't rule it out. Sure, they don't want to lose money on these trips, but you'll also have fun, you'll get to try out a bunch of gear and systems (which could save you money), and you won't be ridiculed if you fall out of your tools thirty feet up, and someone else has to retrieve them.

crackalackin

Dec 20, 2010, 2:52 PM
Post #12 of 16 (3340 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow. Only 15... I'd say you have a hell of a good photography career ahead of you my friend... :)

kennoyce

Dec 20, 2010, 3:52 PM
Post #13 of 16 (3317 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crackalackin] Just starting out! Plenty of ?s [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

crackalackin wrote:
Wow. Only 15... I'd say you have a hell of a good photography career ahead of you my friend... :)

I'd say so, I wish I had started with photography that young, I was 15 when I started climbing though.

As for the OP's question, it has pretty much been answered, but I'll answer it again anyway. As a beginner, strong legs should be more of a help then a hindrance. Ice before rock is rare but can be done. Try out lots of equipment before buying your own. Find an experienced partner to show you the ropes. Have fun and don't die. Oh, yeah, disregard the last part of that last sentence because since you're a noob, you're gonna dieWink.

dynosore

Dec 20, 2010, 7:14 PM
Post #14 of 16 (3249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You'll gain upper body strength but don't count on climbing to bulk you up. I don't think you'll find your legs holding you back.

Your photos are impressive. It's obvious that you have a family that supports your pursuits, a lot of kids don't so count your blessings. Good luck.

(This post was edited by dynosore on Dec 20, 2010, 7:14 PM)

cyclingkid

Dec 21, 2010, 12:20 AM
Post #15 of 16 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Just starting out! Plenty of ?s [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks everyone! So I think I'll try signing up for an ice climbing lesson. Im really eager to start climbing outside, and one of my big interests for the future is alpine climbing, so this would be a good start. Good to hear that my legs shouldnt be a big problem, and it could even give me an advantage when starting out. Now to just build some upper body strength, one legged squats are nothing to me, but chinups are nightmares... Ive been reading up about climbing constantly, and have been practicing different knots that are important to climbing. So now to just get climbing!

qwert

Dec 21, 2010, 9:06 AM
Post #16 of 16 (3093 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cyclingkid wrote:
Now to just build some upper body strength, one legged squats are nothing to me, but chinups are nightmares...
While training for the sake of training never hurts, i wouldnt consider it neccessary. If you have some basic strength, and are sporty (which i would assume you are), strength should shouldnt be you problem when starting climbing. At the beginning i would focus more on technique. Just start, and figure out your weak points along the way.

qwert

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook