First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Kartessa

Dec 24, 2010, 3:35 PM
Post #1 of 139 (11275 views)
Shortcut

30 days to kill it
Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright, it's xmas eve and I'm sooo close to getting fired I can taste it.

Even if I haven't been fired by Jan 5th, I'm quitting. Call it a belated xmas/bday present to myself.

I'll then have a month to just see how far I can push myself. I have no knowledge of how things work, how hard is too hard and what issues are what, but for the first time in my life I'm motivated to move and work HARD. I've come up with a weekly routine to spend my days as I pretend to go to work and was wondering if anyone wants to add/take away anything.

First off: I'm not a couch potato. I try to climb at least 4-5 times a week, some days harder than others for 2-4 hours at a time. I also have a POS hybrid bicycle that I'll run on the roads, roughly 100-150km per week, regardless of weather. Nothing serious but it should be a good base.

I also realise that my daily cheeseburgers are going to have to stop and I really should tone down the candy-bar-coffee.

My plan:
Because I live in a suburban shithole and don't want to be spending all of my savings on gas, I'll be riding my bike around town and keeping it at the yoga studio, which happens to be just down the street from the climbing gym, how convenient!
  • My "Workday" will start with 90min of hot yoga, gotta get that stretch in.
  • Next, I'll head to the library where I can have some quiet time to read a book and indulge in a nutritious (non-cheeseburger) lunch
  • Afternoons will be spent either at the "regular" gym to play the weights/cardio game, or at the pool for lap swims.

After work, I'll do my domestic duties and once the little guy is in bed, I get my evenings to go to the gym and climb for a few hours, I'll keep the climbing schedule I already have, but focus more on bouldering.

Weekends are for family though, but that includes a short (3km) hike every Sunday.

So I'm asking if there is more/less I can/should do. Please realize that it's winter where I live, I'll have no extra money to be spending on "special" activities and I only have 9-5, mon-fri.

Any input would be appreciated

Flame on!

• crazy_fingers84

Dec 24, 2010, 3:52 PM
    Post #2 of 139 (11263 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] 30 days to kill it [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:

Even if I haven't been fired by Jan 5th, I'm quitting. Call it a belated xmas/bday present to myself.

I'll then have a month to just see how far I can push myself. I have no knowledge of how things work, how hard is too hard and what issues are what, but for the first time in my life I'm motivated to move and work HARD. I've come up with a weekly routine to spend my days as I pretend to go to work and was wondering if anyone wants to add/take away anything.

First off: I'm not a couch potato. I try to climb at least 4-5 times a week, some days harder than others for 2-4 hours at a time. I also have a POS hybrid bicycle that I'll run on the roads, roughly 100-150km per week, regardless of weather. Nothing serious but it should be a good base.

I also realise that my daily cheeseburgers are going to have to stop and I really should tone down the candy-bar-coffee.

My plan:
    Because I live in a suburban shithole and don't want to be spending all of my savings on gas, I'll be riding my bike around town and keeping it at the yoga studio, which happens to be just down the street from the climbing gym, how convenient!
  • My "Workday" will start with 90min of hot yoga, gotta get that stretch in.
  • Next, I'll head to the library where I can have some quiet time to read a book and indulge in a nutritious (non-cheeseburger) lunch
  • Afternoons will be spent either at the "regular" gym to play the weights/cardio game, or at the pool for lap swims.

After work, I'll do my domestic duties and once the little guy is in bed, I get my evenings to go to the gym and climb for a few hours, I'll keep the climbing schedule I already have, but focus more on bouldering.

Weekends are for family though, but that includes a short (3km) hike every Sunday.

So I'm asking if there is more/less I can/should do. Please realize that it's winter where I live, I'll have no extra money to be spending on "special" activities and I only have 9-5, mon-fri.

Flame on!

• Are you trying to hide losing your job from your family?

Kartessa

Dec 24, 2010, 3:53 PM
    Post #3 of 139 (11259 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [crazy_fingers84] 30 days to kill it [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

crazy_fingers84 wrote:
    Are you trying to hide losing your job from your family?

Yes and no... more that I want to enjoy my unemployment for a little while, then "break the news"

I've put aside some cash to pay the bills and play a little bit, enough to get through a few months.

(This post was edited by Kartessa on Dec 24, 2010, 3:54 PM)

edge

Dec 24, 2010, 5:12 PM
    Post #4 of 139 (11218 views)
    Shortcut

Report this Post
    Can't Post

It sounds like you have a good routine planned, given your situation/location.

Don't forget to factor in rest days, and to post pics of the hot yoga for educational purposes.

Yes...educational purposes.

rocknice2

Dec 24, 2010, 5:22 PM
    Post #5 of 139 (11208 views)
    Shortcut

Report this Post
    Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:

, but for the first time in my life I'm motivated to move and work HARD.Flame on!

[burn]
    getting fired is a great motivator
    [/burn]

rtwilli4

Dec 24, 2010, 5:30 PM
    Post #6 of 139 (11197 views)
    Shortcut

Report this Post
    Can't Post

Are you asking for workout advice?

You can spend all the time you want at the pool, on the bike, or pulling plastic. It will only help you become a stronger climber (or get in better shape) if your workouts have a purpose.

Sounds like your days will be full of activity, so if you maximize your time, you'll see great benefits.

Kartessa

Dec 24, 2010, 5:51 PM
    Post #7 of 139 (11182 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] 30 days to kill it [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
    Kartessa wrote:

, but for the first time in my life I'm motivated to move and work HARD.Flame on!

[burn]
    getting fired is a great motivator
    [/burn]

I think I mentioned that if I'm not axed by the 5th, I'm quitting.

Kartessa

Dec 24, 2010, 5:56 PM
    Post #8 of 139 (11177 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [edge] 30 days to kill it [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

edge wrote:
    It sounds like you have a good routine planned, given your situation/location.

Don't forget to factor in rest days, and to post pics of the hot yoga for educational purposes.

Yes...educational purposes.

Thats what I'm wondering about, the "rest" days... do they have to be days of inactivity or can I just swap it out for less intense activity?

Even now, I can manage one, maybe 2 days a week where I dont run/bike/climb.

Yeah, I should warn you that the hot yoga studio is across the street from a university.

jt512

Dec 24, 2010, 6:04 PM
    Post #9 of 139 (11169 views)
    Shortcut

Report this Post
    Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:

I just have the usual training advice: Get The Self-Coached Climber.

Jay

Kartessa

Dec 24, 2010, 6:10 PM
    Post #10 of 139 (11166 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [jt512] 30 days to kill it [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
    Kartessa wrote:

Jay

Thanks Jay, you're so helpful.

Next time you can read the post and realise that I dont want to spend 8 hours a day in a climbing gym.

jt512

Dec 24, 2010, 7:17 PM
    Post #11 of 139 (11131 views)
    Shortcut

Report this Post
    Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
    jt512 wrote:
    Kartessa wrote:

Jay

Next time you can read the post and realise that I dont want to spend 8 hours a day in a climbing gym.

Better yet, next time I just won't try to help.

Jay

ceebo

Dec 24, 2010, 7:33 PM
    Post #12 of 139 (11117 views)
    Shortcut

Report this Post
    Can't Post

Why not fill your days with some light endurence training? and stagger 2-3 nights of best efforts. Week ends as rest.

Unless you just really like to swim?.

Btw, i came off 7 day a week climbing not so long ago, some brilliant gains.. but does FUCK ALL for your motivation. Cosidering your going to be active every day and night for 5 days.. your going to be doing even more than i was. Good luck.

(This post was edited by ceebo on Dec 24, 2010, 7:37 PM)

dugl33

Dec 24, 2010, 7:36 PM
    Post #13 of 139 (11116 views)
    Shortcut

Report this Post
    Can't Post

I'm not sure how things go up in Canada but I know in the states with rare exception quitting your job disqualifies you from any unemployment insurance.

Also, the job market in the states sucks pretty bad right now.

Would it maybe be better to go ahead and let things play out? I know it can be tough to endure a crappy job situation, but sometimes that's the best thing to do.

Just curious. Maybe you're in a high demand occupation and its not an issue(?) but what's the outlook after the one month hiatus?

Happy holidays...

AntinJ

Dec 24, 2010, 8:02 PM
    Post #14 of 139 (11086 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [dugl33] 30 days to kill it [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

You think you'll get axed before the 5th? You must really be on the fringe!

My advise would be to trailrun/hike fast - you'll become a machine on long approaches. It makes bigger climbing adventures so much more fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW-wrlnRgQg (NSFW)
    Good Luck,

Jason

(This post was edited by AntinJ on Dec 24, 2010, 8:07 PM)

John5

Dec 24, 2010, 9:38 PM
    Post #15 of 139 (11057 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [dugl33] 30 days to kill it [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

Its been a while since Ive been on it, but, Im pretty sure QUITTING your job disqaulifies you from geting a government sponsorship.

Gmburns2000

Dec 24, 2010, 10:01 PM
    Post #16 of 139 (11043 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [John5] 30 days to kill it [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

John5 wrote:
    Its been a while since Ive been on it, but, Im pretty sure QUITTING your job disqaulifies you from geting a government sponsorship.

depends on the state. no, quitting your job does not disqualify you from unemployment. in MA, for instance, the govt would rather you quit an unhealthy situation than require more expensive help later down the line. so no, quitting is not a factor.

swimming made a huge difference for me. it really did. one to two hours of low restistance training is what it really is.

also, off days don't need to be no-activity days, just switch it up. you'll need some low-activity days to give your body a chance to recover, particularly in winter when colds seem to be abound, but switch out climbing for biking, for instance.

John5

Dec 24, 2010, 10:04 PM
    Post #17 of 139 (11037 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] 30 days to kill it [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
    John5 wrote:

depends on the state. no, quitting your job does not disqualify you from unemployment. in MA, for instance, the govt would rather you quit an unhealthy situation than require more expensive help later down the line. so no, quitting is not a factor.

swimming made a huge difference for me. it really did. one to two hours of low restistance training is what it really is.

also, off days don't need to be no-activity days, just switch it up. you'll need some low-activity days to give your body a chance to recover, particularly in winter when colds seem to be abound, but switch out climbing for biking, for instance.

I was refering to canada. Still not sure what the rules are.

But the OP is from canada

Partner j_ung

Dec 25, 2010, 2:51 AM
    Post #18 of 139 (10957 views)
    Shortcut

Report this Post
    Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
    jt512 wrote:
    Kartessa wrote:

Jay

Now I'm confused. Is the point of all this to become a better climber or not? It is the Technique & Training forum of a climbing site, after all. If that is the point, then I'll second the advice (assuming you don't already have the book). You certainly don't have to spend 8 hours a day in the climbing gym to see some benefit from it. It'll help you maximize the time you do spend there.

Simply put, that book is the single best thing to ever come along for the average climber who wants to get better.

If the point of all this isn't to become a better climber, well, it wasn't really clear.

(This post was edited by j_ung on Dec 25, 2010, 2:51 AM)

Partner abe_ascends

Dec 25, 2010, 3:58 AM
    Post #19 of 139 (10930 views)
    Shortcut

Report this Post
    Can't Post

John5 wrote:
    Gmburns2000 wrote:
    John5 wrote:

I was refering to canada. Still not sure what the rules are.

But the OP is from canada

As a two-time employment insurance recipient in Canada and having researched it a bit while on EI, I can confirm that under usual circumstances, quitting your job makes you ineligible for EI. There are exceptions, however.
    http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/...tarily_leaving.shtml

bennydh

Dec 25, 2010, 5:12 AM
    Post #20 of 139 (10904 views)
    Shortcut

Report this Post
    Can't Post

jt512 wrote:

Better yet, next time I just won't try to help.

Jay

Is this an xmas gift from Jay to everyone on RC? Laugh

Try it, I triple dog dare you.

geezergecko

Dec 25, 2010, 1:47 PM
    Post #21 of 139 (10831 views)
    Shortcut

Report this Post
    Can't Post

Good on ya!

Quitting your job may give you more satisfaction but you end up being screwed on several levels as not only does it disqualify you for EI but it also looks very bad in future job interviews. Best to arrange being let go due to lack of work. I speak from personal experience.

Having a routine is a good way to keep your sanity. Workouts will help you physically but you'll find it's the mental thing that gets really hard to cope with.

Family and friends become more important when you are "out there". Cherish them.

No matter how hard you try, you always end up spending more money than you planned to.

Consider what the end goal is and what you plan to do after you have reached your goal.

And finally, when you get old and all you can remember is where you worked, then you have lived a truly boring life.

Kartessa

Dec 25, 2010, 5:18 PM
    Post #22 of 139 (10783 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] 30 days to kill it [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
    Kartessa wrote:
    jt512 wrote:
    Kartessa wrote:

Jay

Now I'm confused. Is the point of all this to become a better climber or not? It is the Technique & Training forum of a climbing site, after all. If that is the point, then I'll second the advice (assuming you don't already have the book). You certainly don't have to spend 8 hours a day in the climbing gym to see some benefit from it. It'll help you maximize the time you do spend there.

Simply put, that book is the single best thing to ever come along for the average climber who wants to get better.

If the point of all this isn't to become a better climber, well, it wasn't really clear.

The idea is to get my overall fitness up because just training by climbing every day will take the joy out of climbing.

In the end, I'd like to be stronger, a few pounds lighter, have greater endurance and play a solid mental game, all of these are great for pushing higher grades and doing longer routes.

Kartessa

Dec 25, 2010, 5:25 PM
    Post #23 of 139 (10776 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [geezergecko] 30 days to kill it [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

About the unemployment issue, I'll explain:

I've been working at this place for the last 4 months. That's 4 months of commuting 3.5hrs/day to sit at my desk and PC++ on the PCI for 8hours. I do nothing. I only took this job because I saw the extra $10k I thought I'd be making, but after doing the math, I'm spending close to $8k per year on gas, add in the oil changes every 6 week, and various repairs on the car... I'm now running a deficit.

That said, I can't get laid off because I'm a receptionist/executive assistant (Secretary), and there is always a place for a secretary.

I have no plans on collecting EI, and after 30 days I do plan on working. I have a decent skill set combined with being fluently bilingual.

Oh yeah, and I live with my parents/grandparents Tongue

Now that I've explained my financial/social situation, can this get back to the topic of how I can schedule/combine/add the elements of this sweet holiday from life. I want to see how far I can boost myself in 30 days, once that's over I'll be back to my previous schedule.

--edited for shitty spelling --

(This post was edited by Kartessa on Dec 25, 2010, 5:26 PM)

John5

Dec 26, 2010, 1:30 PM
    Post #24 of 139 (10687 views)
    Shortcut

Report this Post
    Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
    j_ung wrote:
    Kartessa wrote:
    jt512 wrote:
    Kartessa wrote:

Jay

The idea is to get my overall fitness up because just training by climbing every day will take the joy out of climbing.

In the end, I'd like to be stronger, a few pounds lighter, have greater endurance and play a solid mental game, all of these are great for pushing higher grades and doing longer routes.

Jay's advice is good advice. The self coached climber is a good read, and it deals with a lot of the areas you want to improve on. Im currently reading it, and using some of its practices for my training. Im also exploring other areas than climbing for my training program, for endurance. But my main method is climbing.

I agree, climbing strictly for training may take the fun out of it. BUT, seeing the gains you get from it, will definately put the fun back into it. Im no expert, but I think the best climbing training is climbing.

Kartessa

Dec 26, 2010, 4:52 PM
    Post #25 of 139 (10645 views)
    Shortcut

Report this Post
    Can't Post

Ok, since people aren't good at reading or thinking, I'll spell it out.

I DO NOT WANT TO SPEND ALL MY DAYS DOING NOTHING BUY CLIMBING

It's freezing outside and climbing the same 20 routes on plastic, day in and day out sucks balls.

You can tell me all you want that thats how you would do it, or that's how I should do it, or thats how your cousin is doing it. I want my activities to be have a certain VARIETY so that I actually enjoy myself and stay motivated.

Please stop being retarded and insisting on me doing something I've stated 3 times already that I'm not interested in doing.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
    Password: Remember me:

Go Register
    Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook