Forums: Climbing Information: General:
TRU adventure guide program
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

 


jbro_135


Jan 2, 2011, 6:54 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1907 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2009
Posts: 662

TRU adventure guide program
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a political science degree. I can't handle being at a desk for more than 5 minutes at a time. Is this program a good idea?

http://www.tru.ca/...dventurediploma.html

I like the fact that I could become a rock guide, alpine guide, roped rescue team leader, SAR manager, etc. Basically any of the certificates listed that it trains you to earn.


drews256


Jan 2, 2011, 8:44 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1878 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 27, 2010
Posts: 20

Re: [jbro_135] TRU adventure guide program [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Looks sweet. If you are interested in anything in the U.S. check out Fort Lewis in Durango, CO, which also has a pretty sweet Adventure Education program. The perfect place to learn all the stuff as well. Plus the AE program in Durango looks more in depth then the one at TRU. But you don't get the benefit of the certificates that it trains you to earn.


jbro_135


Jan 2, 2011, 9:22 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1869 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2009
Posts: 662

Re: [drews256] TRU adventure guide program [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not really interested in moving to the states, seems like a hassle to figure out student loans etc. that I am pretty unfamiliar with as it is.

The certifications from different organizations seem to be the best aspect of the program. It seems fairly likely that I would aspire to be an entrepreneur, the actual diploma itself is not likely to really impress any potential employers, the certification is what's really going to count.



For reference:

Association of Canadian Mountain Guides:
Assistant Alpine Guide
Alpine Guide
Assistant Ski Guide
Ski Guide
Assistant Rock Guide
Rock Guide
Hiking Guide
Backpacking Guide
Climbing Gym Instructor Level I
Climbing Gym Instructor Level II
Climbing Gym Instructor Level III
Top-Rope Climbing Instructor

Association of Canadian Sea Kayak Guides:
Assistant Guide

British Columbia River Rafting Guide License:
Oar
Paddle

British Columbia Provincial Emergency Program:
Rope Rescue Team Leader
Rope Rescue Team Member
Search and Rescue Manager

Canadian Avalanche Association:
Safety for Ski Operations I

Canadian Association of Nordic Ski Instructors:
Telemark Instructor Level I

National Association of Scuba Diving:
Open Water
Advanced Open Water
Master Diver
Dive Supervisor

Paddle Canada:
Trip Instructor
Flatwater Canoe Instructor
Moving Water Instructor

Rescue Canada:
Swiftwater Rescue Technician
Swiftwater Rescue Specialist
Swiftwater Rope Rescue Technician
Swiftwater Rescue Instructor

Sea Kayak Guides Alliance of British Columbia:
Level One Guide

Whitewater Kayak Association of British Columbia:
Basic River Instructor
River Instructor
Advanced River Instructor

Wilderness Medical Associates:
Wilderness First Responder
Note: Additional adventure industry association certifications will continue to be added.


uni_jim


Jan 2, 2011, 9:24 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1868 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 27, 2008
Posts: 429

Re: [jbro_135] TRU adventure guide program [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jbro_135 wrote:
I have a political science degree. I can't handle being at a desk for more than 5 minutes at a time. Is this program a good idea?

http://www.tru.ca/...dventurediploma.html

I like the fact that I could become a rock guide, alpine guide, roped rescue team leader, SAR manager, etc. Basically any of the certificates listed that it trains you to earn.

That is why I am NOT going to TRU. Several friends and acquantences of mine (who are rock/alpine/mountain guides) advised me to just put all of my efforts into "recreatonal climbing" until I can do my exams. It does look like a fun program, and like it would be a great experience, but it doesn't seem to be the most efficient way to become a guide in Canada.


jbro_135


Jan 2, 2011, 9:38 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1867 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2009
Posts: 662

Re: [uni_jim] TRU adventure guide program [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

As an Newfoundlander who lives a $400 flight from anywhere that offers any of the courses and training necessary to even begin the process of becoming a guide, it's probably a lot more economical than it would be for someone like yourself who is based in Alberta


uni_jim


Jan 2, 2011, 9:51 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1861 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 27, 2008
Posts: 429

Re: [jbro_135] TRU adventure guide program [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jbro_135 wrote:
As an Newfoundlander who lives a $400 flight from anywhere that offers any of the courses and training necessary to even begin the process of becoming a guide, it's probably a lot more economical than it would be for someone like yourself who is based in Alberta
'

fair enough.


coastal_climber


Jan 3, 2011, 8:31 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1838 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 16, 2006
Posts: 2542

Re: [uni_jim] TRU adventure guide program [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, I've taken the program. I PM'd you.


coastal_climber


Jan 3, 2011, 8:42 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1834 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 16, 2006
Posts: 2542

Re: [uni_jim] TRU adventure guide program [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

uni_jim wrote:
jbro_135 wrote:
I have a political science degree. I can't handle being at a desk for more than 5 minutes at a time. Is this program a good idea?

http://www.tru.ca/...dventurediploma.html

I like the fact that I could become a rock guide, alpine guide, roped rescue team leader, SAR manager, etc. Basically any of the certificates listed that it trains you to earn.

That is why I am NOT going to TRU. Several friends and acquantences of mine (who are rock/alpine/mountain guides) advised me to just put all of my efforts into "recreatonal climbing" until I can do my exams. It does look like a fun program, and like it would be a great experience, but it doesn't seem to be the most efficient way to become a guide in Canada.

The benefit of the programs schedule is that it allows and facilitates "recreational climbing" for example.


Forums : Climbing Information : General

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook