RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

misha

Dec 24, 2002, 11:30 PM
Post #1 of 10 (6379 views)
Shortcut

winch system
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i just started slacklining and have concerns about my tightening system.

I am using a: Wellington 1" ratchet tie down kit. It is the kind of thing that i used to tie down motorcycles to the back of pickups. On the box it says maxiimum safe working load of 87 pounds.

It does a good job of tightening the line and i am only going about 2 feet off the ground. Is this think capable of withstanding these kinds of loads. Im not worried right now because i'm not planning on walking the rostrum anytime soon.

What other pulley systems (besides clove hitches) do you guys use?

I don't have a lot of money for an expensive winch.

beyond_gravity

Dec 25, 2002, 3:10 PM
Post #2 of 10 (6379 views)
Shortcut

winch system [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use biners in a 4:1. tightens a 10m line by myself no prob.

if you're not that high off the ground I wouldn't worry about it. I'd be more worryed about breaking it then yourself.

Partner matt

Dec 25, 2002, 6:16 PM
Post #3 of 10 (6379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a system very similar to what B_G has set up with the 'biners. Not to mention that as the line stretches and I decide to tighten or highten the line, I'm not worried about the carabiners breaking.

Matt

sparky

Jan 2, 2003, 6:05 PM
Post #4 of 10 (6379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when I stared I used my mini traxion and a tibloc (2:1 or 3:1 ??) but now that I went rummaging through my garage I've found my comealong (a winch for pulling cars out when they get stuck) I've got a descently simple system for taking the tension off the winch before walking the line but it takes a lot of explaining so i'll leave it to your imagination, the winch is sweet but a pain in the ass to carry around and fiddle with, but you can tighten your lines a little to tight with it, heh heh heh (i've broken two biners and the line before) Basically winches are sweet if you want super tight lines but they still have a few down sides.

stevematthys

Jan 4, 2003, 6:01 AM
Post #5 of 10 (6379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a down side would be that you can break biners

sparky

Jan 9, 2003, 12:56 AM
Post #6 of 10 (6379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no, it is impossible to break any climbing gear

Partner rrrADAM

Jan 12, 2003, 10:45 PM
Post #7 of 10 (6379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

2 biners clove hitched in to gain a 3:1 advantage. Pull tight, then finish with a mule knot.

Takes about 2 minutes to set up.

therealbovine

Jan 13, 2003, 3:27 PM
Post #8 of 10 (6379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

87 lbs? Yikes!! I guess you don't know about the crazy force put onto the anchors (and tensioning rig) of a slackline. EX: If you pull your line tight, to the point that it deflects less than one foot when standing in the middle, you multiply your body weight by 54 to get the (approximate) amount of force on each anchor. I beleive thats going to be a bit beyond the 87 lb limit of your tie down strap. Setting the line up only 2 feet from the ground can makes things worse. To set your line up that low, you would have to "over tighten" the line to keep your body weight from pushing it into the ground. Now you have a tightrope instead of a "slackline". If your tie down strap was to break, projectiles would be flying, potentially at you. The forces behind those prjectiles are great, and serious injuries could result (not that you don't know about the possibilities of getting hurt slacklining). I would recommend a more primative and reliable system. Try the clove hitch system found on slackline.com or buy a premade rig from ethosclimbing.com. Also, carabiners do and will break. Every slackline I have ever rigged has pulled the carabiners to the point that the pin in the gate locks into the notch at the nose of the biner. Always back up your system when in doubt. Good luck!

misha

Jan 14, 2003, 4:15 AM
Post #9 of 10 (6379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my line is only like 15 ft long so i dont have to make it that tight. also, i am aware of the stress put on equipment.

Whenever i try to make a pulley system with biners, the biner with the munter hitch around it, touches the anchors before i can get it tight enough. i have tried trial and error but i can never get it very tight.

t-dog
Deleted

Feb 6, 2003, 2:02 AM
Post #10 of 10 (6379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just go to Home Depot and get a 2 inch winch, it'll allow to tighten the rope to desire and still be big enough to take up a lot of extra line in, just in case you didnt' get it tight at all before starting.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook