Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

theapollo

Jan 4, 2011, 9:36 PM
Post #1 of 54 (9046 views)
Shortcut

Where do I stand
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Hello all. I pretty much joined the site to ask this one question.

I realize that this topic has been gone over and over in the forums, but try as I may with the search function I can't get a straight answer, just a bunch of people bashing other people. I feel like I'm treading on thin ice just asking this question. But here it goes.

I was curious about the process of obtaining a sponsorship from any sort of reputable company or shop that deals with climbing. I'm 23 years old, just out of college, with about 10 years of climbing behind me. I'm not much for indoor climbing, as it was my dad that taught me and he's one of those old school-no gym climbing climbers. We'd take trips just about every day to our local crag (which, when I was a kid, was a not-so-well known place called Black Mountain in Crab Orchard, Tennessee). Anyway, my question was how does one go about obtaining a sponsorship? Just to give you an idea of my skill level, I have onsighted a few 5.13d's and red pointed 5.14a's. I love bouldering more than sport though because my endurance is a little spotty. I boulder V9 pretty consistently, and am projecting some V10s.

I know a lot of people gym climb, but since I have only gym climbed a few times (and that was back when I was in high school) I don't really know the grade comparisons. I don't go to bouldering competitions because I don't have a lot of money for the entry fees, I'm struggling to make ends meet as it is. I'm just not very familiar with the gym scene.

I would just like someone to walk me through the process of getting sponsored, and what exactly a sponsorship actually entails.

Any help is appreciated

spikeddem

Jan 4, 2011, 9:38 PM
Post #2 of 54 (9040 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theapollo] Where do I stand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Maybe if you hadn't wasted your time in college getting a degree you'd be able to climb hard enough to get sponsored. I guess we'll never know.

theapollo

Jan 4, 2011, 9:43 PM
Post #3 of 54 (9024 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Where do I stand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
Maybe if you hadn't wasted your time in college getting a degree you'd be able to climb hard enough to get sponsored. I guess we'll never know.

If i had a nickel every time I heard that...

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 4, 2011, 9:50 PM
Post #4 of 54 (9007 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's an actual real tip(for someone who is coming to rc.com wondering how to go about getting sponsored):

Go to the various websites of the companies you think you would well represent, and see if they have sponsorship pages. Read the info. Apply for the job if you feel you are qualified.

HERE are a few "sponsorship pages" from companies I got just googled a few keywords....(these are not climbing-specific)

Cliff Bar - http://www.clifbar.com/...athlete_sponsorship/

Prince - http://hubpages.com/hub/Showcasing-the-next-generation-of--Junior-Tennis-and-Golf

Blog post for a Nutritional Supplements Co about "how to: http://www.muscleevolution.co.za/...-a-sponsored-athlete

erisspirit

Jan 4, 2011, 9:54 PM
Post #5 of 54 (8995 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Where do I stand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you can always try contacting companies, and maybe you will have some luck! The reality is, if you're not climbing notably harder than the vast majority of climbers, then you may have little success. (At least if you are looking at sponsorships to be enough to make climbing a career)

However I have met a few people who at least get their shoes for free :)

Gmburns2000

Jan 4, 2011, 10:03 PM
Post #6 of 54 (8976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

In the place where you live...

theapollo

Jan 4, 2011, 10:06 PM
Post #7 of 54 (8967 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erisspirit] Where do I stand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

erisspirit wrote:
you can always try contacting companies, and maybe you will have some luck! The reality is, if you're not climbing notably harder than the vast majority of climbers, then you may have little success. (At least if you are looking at sponsorships to be enough to make climbing a career)

What would notably harder be? That's what I'm trying to figure out, where I stand in relation to other climbers. I don't have very many people I climb with, or that I watch climb. My partner(s) have been pretty consistent

Jooler

Jan 4, 2011, 10:10 PM
Post #8 of 54 (8957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

theapollo wrote:
erisspirit wrote:

What would notably harder be? That's what I'm trying to figure out, where I stand in relation to other climbers. I don't have very many people I climb with, or that I watch climb. My partner(s) have been pretty consistent

V15, 5.15b

jeepnphreak

Jan 4, 2011, 10:13 PM
Post #9 of 54 (8953 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are looking to be a paid climber for a major company than you need a bit of work. Red pointing 4.14as is ok but now bring that to multi pitch and sustained. As for bouldering yer no where close, professional boulders are pushing V14-V16s.

If you are looking to score some free gear than...
I have a couple of friends that contacted several gear companies and informed them that they were planning a trip down to Patagonia. My friends were looking to summit some 25 pitch 5.11c and if that worked out than possibly try an get a first accent. They did not get any money but they did get like $5,000 in free gear form a combination of several companies. In return they provide pictures displaying the logos/products of the particular company and a trip reports for their the respective web sites.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Jan 4, 2011, 10:20 PM
Post #10 of 54 (8937 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sponsorship is simply an agreement between a company and an individual to use their image (or time or words or other spects of you - I'll use image to keep it simple) in some manner usually to help sell products.

The questin is, why would a company pay you to use your image. Will your image move merchandise? If you are recognized for an achievent (winning comps, hard climbs), have fantastic good looks, or an awesome back story, then the companies will find you.

Assuming that getting better looking and overcoming adversity aren't something you can plan, that leaves climbing something stoopidly hard (preferably on film) or getting to personally know the advertisement executives.

Of the two, I suggest climbing even harder.

Hope this helps.

trenchdigger

Jan 4, 2011, 10:32 PM
Post #11 of 54 (8916 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Where do I stand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
Sponsorship is simply an agreement between a company and an individual to use their image (or time or words or other spects of you - I'll use image to keep it simple) in some manner usually to help sell products.

The questin is, why would a company pay you to use your image. Will your image move merchandise? If you are recognized for an achievent (winning comps, hard climbs), have fantastic good looks, or an awesome back story, then the companies will find you.

Assuming that getting better looking and overcoming adversity aren't something you can plan, that leaves climbing something stoopidly hard (preferably on film) or getting to personally know the advertisement executives.

Hope this helps.

Makes you wonder how many people that are sponsored ASKED for their sponsorship from a company as opposed to those who were OFFERED to be sponsored. I'd guess most were of the latter.

Perhaps this is another one of those questions that has the cliche response: "If you have to ask..."

erisspirit

Jan 4, 2011, 10:40 PM
Post #12 of 54 (8908 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trenchdigger] Where do I stand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

trenchdigger wrote:
Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:

Hope this helps.

Makes you wonder how many people that are sponsored ASKED for their sponsorship from a company as opposed to those who were OFFERED to be sponsored. I'd guess most were of the latter.

Perhaps this is another one of those questions that has the cliche response: "If you have to ask..."

The only Pro I have met and heard their story, that was exactly the case. They were noticed for climbing some stupid hard stuff both in comps and outside.

wiki

Jan 5, 2011, 9:52 PM
Post #13 of 54 (8797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Being good-looking and female would help! Good-looking chicks sell gear right?

rtwilli4

Jan 7, 2011, 11:08 PM
Post #14 of 54 (8718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll humor you with a response, even though you are probably just a troll.

You say you've been climbing for 10 years. If you don't already have a sponsorship then you have no chance.

ceebo

Jan 11, 2011, 2:29 AM
Post #15 of 54 (8623 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Where do I stand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:

You say you've been climbing for 10 years. If you don't already have a sponsorship then you have no chance.

You say it like all climbers should be on X grade after Y time spent. People progress at their own rate depending on far more things than time alone. So how on earth can you say he has no chance?.

Do all climbers suddenly stop getting better after the 10 year mark?. Have all climbers in the history of the sport only got noteble sponsorship within the first 10 year?. I have never read so much BS until now, thank you.

The guy is only young, their are plenty of climbers out their who didnt really get into the lime light untill well into their 30's. He has plenty of time, your just a negitive shit.

Btw to op. Perhaps you may want to brake your fathers habit and make your own choice?. Im no expert on the matter.. but i would say you have a better chance getting sponsership while runing indoor compititions and placing well a few times.. then use that for ''this is why you should sponser me''.

Other than that i really do not know.. perhaps if you made some youtube footedge of outdoor climbing and got quite a gathering of subscribers, who follow your climbs (like 100.000).. and then took that evidence to some shoe/harnes/rope manufactures.. perhaps they would sponser you for sme youtube pluging. No idea if that is how it wopuld work but.. just an idea.

(This post was edited by ceebo on Jan 11, 2011, 2:43 AM)

guangzhou

Jan 11, 2011, 3:31 AM
Post #16 of 54 (8575 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First, you don't have to climb Hard to be sponsored, you just have to be noticeable.

Climbing hard is one way to be noticed, but you can get print and face time by other means. First ascents, especially in remote or wild places on a regular basis can get you sponsored without climbing overly hard.

Just because you climb hard doesn't mean sponsors will find you, regardless of your level, if you want to be noticed, you need to market yourself. If you don't want to market yourself, sponsorship is the right avenue for you. Sponsorship is about getting yourself and the product you represent noticed in a positive light.

First step, contact companies they you feel you can offer something too.

While people here say 5.13 or 14 isn't hard I have to wonder where they climb. I've climbed most of the main crags in the U.S. and Asia, a few in Europe. I don't often see other climbers red-pointing those grades. (Even more rarely onsighting them).

rtwilli4

Jan 11, 2011, 6:24 AM
Post #17 of 54 (8526 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] Where do I stand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

You say it like all climbers should be on X grade after Y time spent. People progress at their own rate depending on far more things than time alone. So how on earth can you say he has no chance?.

Do all climbers suddenly stop getting better after the 10 year mark?. Have all climbers in the history of the sport only got noteble sponsorship within the first 10 year?. I have never read so much BS until now, thank you.

The guy is only young, their are plenty of climbers out their who didnt really get into the lime light untill well into their 30's. He has plenty of time, your just a negitive shit.

Btw to op. Perhaps you may want to brake your fathers habit and make your own choice?. Im no expert on the matter.. but i would say you have a better chance getting sponsership while runing indoor compititions and placing well a few times.. then use that for ''this is why you should sponser me''.

Other than that i really do not know.. perhaps if you made some youtube footedge of outdoor climbing and got quite a gathering of subscribers, who follow your climbs (like 100.000).. and then took that evidence to some shoe/harnes/rope manufactures.. perhaps they would sponser you for sme youtube pluging. No idea if that is how it wopuld work but.. just an idea.

It has nothing to do with his rate of progression. He climbs hard enough if he is willing to go out and do big first ascents in wild places... and if he is willing to market himself and put up a lot of the money to begin with. It doesn't sound like the OP is into that... it sounds like he enjoys sport climbing. That's fine, but you're not going to turn heads (corporate heads that is) climbing that grade at your local sport crag. Close, but no cigar. Maybe if he's red pointing 14c's and d's... and maybe he can! Bouldering, he's still not really close.

I understand that the OP has been kept away from the climbing scene for most of his career, and thank God for that because the climbing scene is kind of a joke. But if he really needs to ask this question after ten years of climbing then he probably just doesn't have the passion that it takes to be a sponsored climber. You don't just go out and get sponsored after college. Pro climbers get themselves noticed because they work specifically toward that goal. Very rarely (if ever) does a climber just get asked to join a trip/gear shop/team/company.

And sure there are pros that we don't hear about until they are older, but most of them are not sponsored at all. They might get free shoes or a pro-deal but that ain't sponsorship. And the ones that are truly sponsored (the ones in the "lime light") have been working towards that since well before they were in college.

In just the past 12 months I have climbed with no less than 5 people that can climb at least as hard as the OP. Not only that but they are climbing nearly that hard on gear and putting up first ascents, some of them VERY notable in the climbing world. One gets a prodeal on a few brands, three of them get a few pairs of shoes every year IF they go and do demos, and the guy who climbs the hardest is completely un-sponsored. They've all flirted with sponsorship, but NONE of them made it work.

I may very well be a "negative shit" but like you said, you just "don't know" if the OP has a chance or not. If you don't like my tone then say it, but don't argue with me about something you know nothing about.

spikeddem

Jan 11, 2011, 6:24 AM
Post #18 of 54 (8526 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Where do I stand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
R.E.M.

qwert

Jan 11, 2011, 9:00 AM
Post #19 of 54 (8503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OP, getting sponsored is quite easy!
You just have to do one of the following two things:
a) climb insanely hard (read: at the limit of what is seen as humanly possible)
or
b) do spectacular stuff

To reach your goal via a): traingingtrainingtraining, and that probably does require quite some time, and a gym. You could start climbing competitions. Withc your skills you could at least advance beyond the regional level quite fast, but it will be hard to get noticed, compared to all the mutants in the international competition circus. but you will probably win some gear quite fast, so you can at least feel a little bit sponsored.
and via b): Get creative. Find unclimbed peaks with good lines, climb established lines in a "new style" (solo, free old aid lines etc.).
but both still require quite a bit of work from you. Not only do you have to climb, you also have to advertise yourself.
Have a profesional blog/website, get articles in your local newspapers, get known in local groups etc.

You you could just wait for the rockclimbing versions of american idol ...
With the raising popularity of climbing, and the influx of kids that see "pro climber" as a valuable job, just as "pop star", that cant be too far away ...

qwert

Gmburns2000

Jan 11, 2011, 11:00 AM
Post #20 of 54 (8467 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
R.E.M.

well doneCool

blueshrimp

Jan 11, 2011, 1:29 PM
Post #21 of 54 (8452 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] Where do I stand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OP, here's an idea. Now, before you read it please keep in mind that I'm a mediocre climber, nowhere near like you much less like the pro climbers. But if your goal is to make money off climbing, as opposed to representing a company (i.e. be their image monkey), here's what I would do in your shoes.

1. You obviously climb harder and have more outdoors experience than the vast majority of climbers. Sure, you're not a pro or climb insanely hard, but that's what keeps you closer and more connected to the vast majority of climbers.

2. So, use that to your advantage. There are a lot of climbers in the world out there like me who might like to read about your stories, or learn something from you.

3. So why not start some sort of climbing blog? Sure, the success of your blog will depend a lot on your writing abilities, but you did, after all, go to college, and that gives you an advantage over all the other pro climbers who didn't and can't write worth peanuts.

4. If you make your blog unique, entertaining, with cool advice or if you offer some information or experience of value to the climbing niche, you might just be able to:
a). Get known by companies (thus be on the way to the sponsorship you desire)
b) Put advertisements on your blog and get paid per clicks
c) Offer advice to other climbers and perhaps even charge for the experience (i.e. memeber-based blog or members only features).
d) Sell cool pictures you take when climbing
e) Guest blog for other magazines and get paid for your articles.
f) Solicit donations from fans
e) Start a reviews section for climbing areas (a lot of climbers would love an organized approach to this from someone with insider knowledge)
g) etc.

There are many ways to make money off one's passtime. You're good enough not to be mediocre, but not so fanatic about climbing so as to be unreachable. Use that to your advantage. Average people like me get more inspired by people like you than by the superhuman, untouchable, "I only climb and do nothing else" professionals like Chris Sharma.

Good luck!

kachoong

Jan 11, 2011, 2:35 PM
Post #22 of 54 (8435 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Road trip around the States first, visiting all the major destinations, and tick off all/most of the hard routes, with photographic evidence. Establish a few very hard first ascents. Make sure you also succeed on the better-known routes. Then visit top crags in Europe and Aus doing the same thing. You also need to find your niche... choose bouldering or routes... it would be best if you concentrate on just one for sponsorship unless you're up there with Graham or Caldwell. Also, as suggested, it might help to have looks and/or personality to offset your ability.

saint_john

Jan 11, 2011, 3:18 PM
Post #23 of 54 (8416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

be outgoing and charismatic.
win some comps.
meet as many people in the climbing world as you can.

sungam

Jan 11, 2011, 3:24 PM
Post #24 of 54 (8409 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aim low. I hear those some of those really crappy companies will give ANYONE free gearz if they talk loud enough.

spikeddem

Jan 11, 2011, 4:55 PM
Post #25 of 54 (8371 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] Where do I stand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
OP, getting sponsored is quite easy!
You just have to do one of the following two things:
a) climb insanely hard (read: at the limit of what is seen as humanly possible)
or
b) do spectacular stuff

To reach your goal via a): traingingtrainingtraining, and that probably does require quite some time, and a gym. You could start climbing competitions. Withc your skills you could at least advance beyond the regional level quite fast, but it will be hard to get noticed, compared to all the mutants in the international competition circus. but you will probably win some gear quite fast, so you can at least feel a little bit sponsored.
and via b): Get creative. Find unclimbed peaks with good lines, climb established lines in a "new style" (solo, free old aid lines etc.).
but both still require quite a bit of work from you. Not only do you have to climb, you also have to advertise yourself.
Have a profesional blog/website, get articles in your local newspapers, get known in local groups etc.

You you could just wait for the rockclimbing versions of american idol ...
With the raising popularity of climbing, and the influx of kids that see "pro climber" as a valuable job, just as "pop star", that cant be too far away ...

qwert
You definitely forgot C

C) Be sexually attractive and climb mediocre.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook