Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jakedatc

Dec 30, 2010, 4:36 PM
Post #1 of 32 (9229 views)
Shortcut

Rude and insulting comments in I/A threads
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I think Rich put it pretty well
rgold wrote:
It would be nice if those who, like you, are willing to expose their lapses, could be spared the ad hominem attacks. It seems to be pretty hard to get analysis without some insults mixed in for good measure.

I don't understand why anyone would post up their own experiences anymore (and the very small numbers that do reflect this) when every time the same people show up to kick them while they are down. Obviously they know they made a mistake, obviously they know climbing is dangerous and they could have died, obviously they will try to learn from it and not repeat the same mistake.

I don't understand how calling someone names is some how worse and deletable than telling someone they should be dead, paralyzed or more severely injured. I'm much more insulted and disturbed by the latter.

the first few years I was on this forum I/A used to be 90% self reported accidents (either themselves or a rescue they were involved in) the rest was people hearing amublances/choppers and asking if anyone had info about the rescue. The last few years it has been 90% copy and pasted poorly written articles with little to no first hand information and very few people willing to write about their own accidents.

highly moderated should include people being ass, not just calling someone an ass.

(This post was edited by jakedatc on Jan 5, 2011, 4:11 PM)

wonderwoman

Dec 30, 2010, 5:42 PM
Post #2 of 32 (9220 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Ad hominom attacks in I/A threads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am glad that you chose to post this here rather than the Accidents and Incidents thread.

As I explained to you, your posts in that thread were hidden because they were direct personal attacks against another user. The other user said the poster was lucky that the OP was not more seriously injured. It may be a silly thing to say that doesn't contribute much to the incident analysis, but it it not the same as wishing ill will upon an injured climber. As a matter of fact, another person said things along the same lines:

In reply to:
Yikes, well that's about as close to fully decking as you can get. Glad you got off light.

In reply to:
Glad this didn't end up worse for you both.

These are basically saying the same thing (in a more articulate way) as the post that you are talking about.

In the future, the best course of action may be for you to alert a moderator via PM or the Suggestions and Feedback forum if you see an inappropriate post rather than directly attacking a user in a highly regulated forum.

These are my suggestions and I will continue to hide blatant personal attacks when I see them.

(This post was edited by wonderwoman on Dec 30, 2010, 5:44 PM)

jakedatc

Dec 30, 2010, 5:51 PM
Post #3 of 32 (9215 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Ad hominom attacks in I/A threads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i found this one unnecessary
In reply to:
seriously, if you you ended up in a wheelchair for the next 50 years, can you imagine what your wife had to deal with ?

and clearly the OP was insulted
david7896 wrote:
I’m not sure why you have so much hostility towards me and why you feel the need to contadick me. I know that rock climbing is dangerous and any mistake can kill. I’m sorry If the post made me sound as if I wasn’t extremely grateful that my wife saved my life. But that’s between me and wife. And again I think you are missing the point of the post. It was just for information. I know what I did wrong and don’t need to be ridiculed for it. I really dont want to start anything please.

wonderwoman

Dec 30, 2010, 6:02 PM
Post #4 of 32 (9212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree that it is unnecessary and contributes absolutely nothing to the analysis. But it doesn't cross the line of wishing pain and suffering onto someone.

People get offended on RC.com all the time. If we were to hide every post that might hurt someone's feelings, there would be a ton of stuff in the recycling bin.

I rarely ever touch a thread unless I see a personal attack against a user, threats of violence or something way over the line. I am not a big fan of censorship, and I don't see a violation here. I do, however, see poor taste.

enigma

Jan 4, 2011, 9:41 AM
Post #5 of 32 (9116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
I agree that it is unnecessary and contributes absolutely nothing to the analysis. But it doesn't cross the line of wishing pain and suffering onto someone.

People get offended on RC.com all the time. If we were to hide every post that might hurt someone's feelings, there would be a ton of stuff in the recycling bin.

I rarely ever touch a thread unless I see a personal attack against a user, threats of violence or something way over the line. I am not a big fan of censorship, and I don't see a violation here. I do, however, see poor taste.

I shared recently my encounter with wild sea lions growling that I encountered at Zuma Beach so others could be forewarned . In Cheating Death
These were Not Bahamas trained sea lions, they had rabies according to the local paper and I free climbed on a slick area of the beach and could have easily fallen or been attacked by these growling hungry 100 or so sea lions that had already had dead birds strewn around them.
I was 100 ft from the ocean and 75 ft from the top and my choices were to free climb as well as quickly as I could away with nothing for my hands or feet or be bitten.
I welcome anyone to take the same path and walk pass these sea lions and try to play games with them.
I was lucky and reacted quickly, I had no easy safe choice, I also mentioned this climbing because it was not difficult area to climb and was for known for moderate climbs at the beach . Just a little wrong path may end your life. It could happen to anyone, with not such a safe outcome

Arrogant_Bastard

Jan 4, 2011, 7:12 PM
Post #6 of 32 (9095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

david7896 wrote:
I’m not sure why you have so much hostility towards me and why you feel the need to contadick me.

I can't believe nobody called him out on the word 'contadick'.

snoopy138

Jan 5, 2011, 3:18 AM
Post #7 of 32 (9072 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] Ad hominom attacks in I/A threads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
david7896 wrote:
I’m not sure why you have so much hostility towards me and why you feel the need to contadick me.

I can't believe nobody has called you out on your cheesetittery.

blondgecko

Jan 5, 2011, 4:41 AM
Post #8 of 32 (9066 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoopy138] Ad hominom attacks in I/A threads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
david7896 wrote:

I can't believe nobody has called you out on your cheesetittery.

I can't believe nobody's mentioned that the OP managed to not only misspell, but misdefine "ad hominem". An ad hominem is an argument of the form "you're wrong because you're an idiot/prick/etc." There's a perfectly useful description for the things that are actually being complained about. They're called "insults".

jakedatc

Jan 5, 2011, 4:16 PM
Post #9 of 32 (9044 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Ad hominom attacks in I/A threads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How's that BG? better? intent is still the same. Being able to post an accident without getting beaten down further for it would be a nice change.

I wonder if an OP complained like in A/I but in the Ladies room the result would have been different.. hmmm.

Arrogant_Bastard

Jan 5, 2011, 4:20 PM
Post #10 of 32 (9042 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
How's that BG? better? intent is still the same. Being able to post an accident without getting beaten down further for it would be a nice change.

I wonder if an OP complained like in A/I but in the Ladies room the result would have been different.. hmmm.

Editing is weke.

wonderwoman

Jan 5, 2011, 4:52 PM
Post #11 of 32 (9032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:

In the ladies room it would not have even qualified as ad feminam attack. Saying 'you're lucky x didn't happen' is still not a personal attack.

dr_feelgood

Jan 6, 2011, 3:56 AM
Post #12 of 32 (9009 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Ad hominom attacks in I/A threads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

I shared recently my encounter with wild sea lions growling that I encountered at Zuma Beach so others could be forewarned . In Cheating Death
These were Not Bahamas trained sea lions, they had rabies according to the local paper and I free climbed on a slick area of the beach and could have easily fallen or been attacked by these growling hungry 100 or so sea lions that had already had dead birds strewn around them.
I was 100 ft from the ocean and 75 ft from the top and my choices were to free climb as well as quickly as I could away with nothing for my hands or feet or be bitten.
I welcome anyone to take the same path and walk pass these sea lions and try to play games with them.
I was lucky and reacted quickly, I had no easy safe choice, I also mentioned this climbing because it was not difficult area to climb and was for known for moderate climbs at the beach . Just a little wrong path may end your life. It could happen to anyone, with not such a safe outcome

durp

blueeyedclimber

Jan 6, 2011, 4:02 PM
Post #13 of 32 (8982 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Ad hominom attacks in I/A threads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
enigma wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

durp

If durp means WTF?, then yeah....durp.

Josh

Partner macherry

Jan 6, 2011, 4:12 PM
Post #14 of 32 (8978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
jakedatc wrote:

In the ladies room it would not have even qualified as ad feminam attack. Saying 'you're lucky x didn't happen' is still not a personal attack.

i'm with jake on this one. i'm assuming a comment like that would have been edited in the ladies room. there's a difference between analyzing an accident and stupid remarks. these are highly moderated forums.

Arrogant_Bastard

Jan 6, 2011, 4:49 PM
Post #15 of 32 (8972 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Ad hominom attacks in I/A threads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
enigma wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

durp

If durp means WTF?, then yeah....durp.

Josh

Nurp.

wonderwoman

Jan 6, 2011, 5:12 PM
Post #16 of 32 (8967 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Ad hominom attacks in I/A threads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
jakedatc wrote:

i'm with jake on this one. i'm assuming a comment like that would have been edited in the ladies room. there's a difference between analyzing an accident and stupid remarks. these are highly moderated forums.

If you feel those posts should be hidden, then go ahead and hide them. I agree that they are useless comments. We may be able to highly regulate a forum, but let's face it, some participants are not capable of posting quality content. I think jake is suggesting that some users need to be banned from the forum altogether, which would probably solve some of the problems.

However, the OP of this thread (jake) was the poster of ad hominem attacks in that accident thread. I still suggest that instead of attacking another user he alert a moderator or put use of jt512's killfile. He can only be responsible for his own behavior.

(This post was edited by wonderwoman on Jan 6, 2011, 5:14 PM)

Arrogant_Bastard

Jan 6, 2011, 5:42 PM
Post #17 of 32 (8957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
We may be able to highly regulate a forum, but let's face it, some participants are not capable of posting quality content.

Angelic

jakedatc

Jan 6, 2011, 6:57 PM
Post #18 of 32 (8949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
macherry wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
jakedatc wrote:

If you feel those posts should be hidden, then go ahead and hide them. I agree that they are useless comments. We may be able to highly regulate a forum, but let's face it, some participants are not capable of posting quality content. I think jake is suggesting that some users need to be banned from the forum altogether, which would probably solve some of the problems.

However, the OP of this thread (jake) was the poster of ad hominem attacks in that accident thread. I still suggest that instead of attacking another user he alert a moderator or put use of jt512's killfile. He can only be responsible for his own behavior.

I've PM'd mods, DDT, J_ung for years and only during Jay's brief time in blue did something ever happen. Other mods and Daniel do not agree with how i think people should be treated if they post up their own accidents.

This is just how it is going to be and that is sad for folks who would like to share their story that the management allows for that.

wonderwoman

Jan 6, 2011, 7:05 PM
Post #19 of 32 (8947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
macherry wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
jakedatc wrote:

I've PM'd mods, DDT, J_ung for years and only during Jay's brief time in blue did something ever happen. Other mods and Daniel do not agree with how i think people should be treated if they post up their own accidents.

This is just how it is going to be and that is sad for folks who would like to share their story that the management allows for that.

When you post personal attacks, you aren't exactly acting as a model for how to treat people well. Instead, it seems to have a snowball effect on the content of the site.

Like I said, we all have to take responsibility for our own behavior. You can't control the garbage someone else posts up. We can only control our own garbage.

Arrogant_Bastard

Jan 6, 2011, 7:09 PM
Post #20 of 32 (8944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
macherry wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
jakedatc wrote:

When you post personal attacks, you aren't exactly acting as a model for how to treat people well. Instead, it seems to have a snowball effect on the content of the site.

Like I said, we all have to take responsibility for our own behavior. You can't control the garbage someone else posts up. We can only control our own garbage.

I only post insults and slander because Jake started it. I used to be very helpful and polite. It's Jake's fault.

jakedatc

Jan 6, 2011, 7:12 PM
Post #21 of 32 (8941 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] Ad hominom attacks in I/A threads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
macherry wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
jakedatc wrote:

I only post insults and slander because Jake started it. I used to be very helpful and polite. It's Jake's fault.

Iz Tru. used to be such a nice guy.. now he's a Bastard.

I guess a history of rude comments and useless content in a highly moderated forum doesn't count.

Partner macherry

Jan 7, 2011, 12:41 AM
Post #22 of 32 (8907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
macherry wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
jakedatc wrote:

i'm making a general comment regarding jake's quote. nothing more. i do believe the comments would have been hidden. we hide stupid, of topic comments all the time in the ladies room

dr_feelgood

Jan 7, 2011, 3:19 AM
Post #23 of 32 (8893 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Ad hominom attacks in I/A threads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
macherry wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
jakedatc wrote:

i'm making a general comment regarding jake's quote. nothing more. i do believe the comments would have been hidden. we hide stupid, of topic comments all the time in the ladies room

Speaking of which, I fail to see how my assertations of GMBurnz as a sexual predator could possibly be construed as stupid or off topic.

Just Sayin'

htotsu

Jan 14, 2011, 3:29 AM
Post #24 of 32 (8763 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Ad hominom attacks in I/A threads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:

With respect, those seem to be standards for a forum with "medium moderating" rather than "high moderating."

Aren't the standards posted right there in the forum's sticky thread pasted below? Either this applies (to all posters, of course) or it doesn't.

blondgecko wrote:
READ THIS before posting in Accident and Incident Analysis

Accident and Incident Analysis is the most serious forum on Rockclimbing.com. It has to be - it deals with the very difficult and painful subject of injury and death while climbing. The people mentioned in the threads here may not be known to you, they may not be known to anyone here on rockclimbing.com - but without a doubt they are, or were, known, liked and loved by somebody. In here, we discuss, first and foremost, events that happened to people - and we will maintain a respectful tone.

Now, "respectful" doesn't mean you're not allowed to say that an action leading up to an accident was a mistake, or even stupid. It simply means that you will treat this as the serious subject it is.

So, here are the rules:

1. Keep it about the accident, and leave your ego at the door.

Threads in this forum are not about you. They're not about me. They're not about the OP. They're not about making yourself look strong, or smart, or better than anyone else. They're about one thing, and one thing only: accidents. Discussing them, determining as best we can what went wrong, and doing our best to learn from them so that we don't make the same mistakes.

Flames, trolls, and any other posts that do not directly relate to discussion of the incident will be removed. If you are attacked personally by another user, please do not respond in this forum. If you feel you really must defend your honour, do it via PM or start a thread in the Campground. It does not belong here.

2. Make your posts factual, and as detailed as possible.

If you are the OP of a thread in this forum, then you are taking on a big responsibility. It is your job to provide as much information as you can about the incident in question. If you were an eyewitness, or at the same crag that day, then post what you can - even if it's simply a request for more information, that's fine. In the latter case, once more detail comes in it would be appreciated if you could amend your OP (and especially the title) to cover the key details.

If you are posting a link to a news article, then the rules are more strict. You need to give a brief summary of the details in the article - name(s), place, date and nature of accident as a bare minimum. OP's that are simply a link to an article without these details will be recycled on sight, and the user PM'd to try again.

If you are replying to a thread, the above rule does not mean you can't speculate. However, speculation must be clearly labelled as such, and based upon known facts from the case.

3. Respect the mods' decisions.

In this forum, at least, what the mods say goes. If a post of yours is removed, do not put up a new post asking why, or complaining. That will simply be removed too. Take it up in PM, or in Suggestions and Feedback. Once again, threads in here are about accidents, and accidents only.

jt512

Jan 24, 2011, 4:30 AM
Post #25 of 32 (8625 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Ad hominom attacks in I/A threads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

Nice work on formatting there.

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jan 24, 2011, 4:30 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook