Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dynosore

Jan 6, 2011, 9:15 PM
Post #26 of 39 (2406 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slartibartfast] Bouldering is all about socializing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

slartibartfast wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
slartibartfast wrote:
readers of RC.com and other online forums. Have any of you ever used any of these words/phrases:

My main point is only that everbody, even someone who looks down on the "brah!" shouting boulder crowd, has his own nonsensical mannerisms, and even pretentions, that are equally as deserving of derision or respect, depending on your viewpoint.

Every group has their quirks, it's just that some are far more annoying and obnoxious than others. I would dare say not all mannerisms are equally deserving of derision. But I get what you're trying to say.

Edit: missed the ptftw and cheesetitted, I am special

(This post was edited by dynosore on Jan 6, 2011, 9:16 PM)

majid_sabet

Jan 6, 2011, 10:06 PM
Post #27 of 39 (2384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

slartibartfast wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
slartibartfast wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
I love you guys, I do cause you do nothing but sit in a group , watch each other and follow one another like a pack of........sit again then one or two of you gets up, hands in the air , trying to protect another dude, ohh yaaa, dyno, sit , move to another V&*^ section like a pack of.......sit, talk, try few more move ,then bye bye and go home.

At least that's how it looks in and around my local gym.

It's super funny to me that, after an attentive reading of this post, all he seems to be ranting about is the shallow banality of indoor bouldering as compared to the near-mystical awesomeness of indoor roped climbing.

You clearly go to a gym. If you don't go to train or socialize(2 points at which bouldering excels)then why are you there?

I go to gym to train and once in a awhile, I cross in to bouldering territory but then while with all the sh*t hanging from the harness, i try few V moves while people in the pack watching and wondering if rope climbing dudes can actually accomplish anything in the bouldering zone.

yes, some of us can climb some of the Vs but we rather circle around our own pack.

Mostly, it is just funny to me that any climber would feel justified in looking down on another climbing community as a whole, even when fun stereotypes such as beanies, going shirtless, and the admittedly annoying "brah!" are involved.

People like to belong to groups, and groups tend to have distinct language styles and word usage; some even have distinct grammar. So, unless one of these grammatically challenged individuals decides to set themselves up as the norm by writing a bestselling vampire series, why should any of us judge?

I bet that many people reading this, some of whom publicly deride bouldering lingo, could think of at least half a dozen jokes and phrases that would be funny or comprehensible only to this specific community. And by this specific community, I don't mean climbers as a whole; I mean ONLY readers of RC.com and other online forums. Have any of you ever used any of these words/phrases:

-useless without pics!
-yer gonna die!
-ptftw

And for the climbing community as a whole:

-Splitter
-Bomber
-Gnar(goofy, but still used with great respect, and has even been the subject of a published article)
-Sprad(please don't start any fights, people)

My point is that is that anyone who takes part in any aspect of climbing(or any other activity nonessential to life)and uses jargon specific to that activity where a perfectly normal word would suffice should, in all fairness, keep their pie-hole shut.

At least there are still things on which we all agree, such as the unprecedented lameness of sport rappeling and aid climbing.

I guess, its realization of how we are divided in our little climbing community.

wallwombat

Jan 6, 2011, 10:20 PM
Post #28 of 39 (2372 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Bouldering is all about socializing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I don't go to climbing gyms and I rarely boulder with more than one or two other people.

I never say 'brah.

mr.tastycakes

Jan 6, 2011, 10:20 PM
Post #29 of 39 (2372 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojomonkey] Bouldering is all about socializing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mojomonkey wrote:
mr.tastycakes wrote:
bouldering is the most social of all climbing styles

Not necessarily... I saw a group of 5 climbers (on 4 ropes in serial) slink their way up a climb at Seneca. They only had one leader and it looked like he wasn't casting off on the next pitch until everyone and all the gear regrouped at the belay. I imagine that left them plenty of time for socializing, relative to climbing time.

Heh. I stand corrected. Forgot about clusterfuck multi-pitch climbing.

socalclimber

Jan 6, 2011, 11:22 PM
Post #30 of 39 (2353 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Bouldering is all about socializing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
You bring up a lot of good points (not really) Majid. Which leads me to wonder.....

Do boulderers ever have epics?
Can you get a boulderer n00b pack at REI complete with shoes, chalk bucket and beanie?
How does their pre-climb communication go?...
"On Spot."
"Spot on."
"Sending."
"Send On."
And what's with the word "Brah?" A Brah is something that I spent my teen years figuring out how to get off.

Josh

That's CLASSIC!!!!!!!!

Bats

Jan 7, 2011, 12:58 AM
Post #31 of 39 (2332 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Bouldering is all about socializing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I love to climb! The funny thing about bouldering, no matter what crag I am at, I always run into others that I have met at different crags. I have never had that kind of encounters with rope climbing. So bouldering is social...what's so bad about that?

dugl33

Jan 7, 2011, 2:49 AM
Post #32 of 39 (2317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

slartibartfast wrote:

People like to belong to groups, and groups tend to have distinct language styles and word usage; some even have distinct grammar.

So Majid is a group of one then?

userdude

Jan 7, 2011, 12:49 PM
Post #33 of 39 (2275 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bats] Bouldering is all about socializing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I boulder only and don't say brah, I say BRO.
I wear a beanie when it's cold, but I did before I started climbing.
OP: Don't hate on the strength we have that you will probably never attain. Trolls only need strong fingers.

Partner j_ung

Jan 7, 2011, 1:00 PM
Post #34 of 39 (2269 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Bouldering is all about socializing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
You bring up a lot of good points (not really) Majid. Which leads me to wonder.....

Can you get a boulderer n00b pack at REI complete with shoes, chalk bucket and beanie?
"On Spot."
"Spot on."
"Sending."
"Send On."
And what's with the word "Brah?" A Brah is something that I spent my teen years figuring out how to get off.

Josh

You wore a bra?

blueeyedclimber

Jan 7, 2011, 1:05 PM
Post #35 of 39 (2259 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Bouldering is all about socializing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

"On Spot."
"Spot on."
"Sending."
"Send On."

Josh

You wore a bra?

Well, actually a "Bro."

ClimbSoHigh

Jan 7, 2011, 1:36 PM
Post #36 of 39 (2250 views)
Shortcut

Re: [userdude] Bouldering is all about socializing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In my experience, most trad climbers have some sort of lingering issue with all other disciplines, while boulderer's usually are cool with all other disciplines. I wonder why?

Trad climbing is bad ass, but it should not make you feel entitiled to look down on any other disciplines, yes even those dumb ass sport rapellers (whoops). The bolt war between trad and sport climbers is different, which makes sense as one dicipline can interfere with the other, but what did the boulderers ever do to anyone beside take off their shirts (which I see plenty of trad climbers do too, if not more) and wear beenies, (which I see most of the world do too). Majid, you upset that a boulderer might have more friends than you, or can crank a harder move than you? lol

And since free soloing is more bad ass than trad, and some highball problems reach into the realm of free solos, some boulderes are more bad ass than trad climbers.

Some negatives to bouldering that comes to mind... Flappers, getting stuck on trees and shit with your pad, rolled ankles, using the same painful holds over and over again, builds little endurance.

spikeddem

Jan 7, 2011, 3:25 PM
Post #37 of 39 (2230 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Bouldering is all about socializing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

"On Spot."
"Spot on."
"Sending."
"Send On."

Josh

You wore a bra?

ummmmmmmmm

airbender

Jan 7, 2011, 7:06 PM
Post #38 of 39 (2213 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Bouldering is all about socializing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I live in Cali surf skate and climb even boulder a little but I don't say brah and I don't hear many that do. Funny you should think skaters would be boulderers there are different groups of skaters too. I could see the guys that just roll around doing flippideedooda tricks only bouldering but I have a few friends that skate and climb we usually skate bowls and pools and all climb trad more than anything else.

areyoumydude

Jan 7, 2011, 7:18 PM
Post #39 of 39 (2207 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbSoHigh] Bouldering is all about socializing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ClimbSoHigh wrote:
For the record, yes bouldering at the Gunks is like jerking off at a whore house,

Some people pay good money to jerk off in a whore house.

wallwombat wrote:
I don't go to climbing gyms and I rarely boulder with more than one or two other people.

I never say 'brah.

Well good on ya, Mate!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook