Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Route Maintenance at Riverside Quarry
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

socalbolter

Jan 13, 2011, 5:40 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1863 views)
Shortcut

Route Maintenance at Riverside Quarry  (North_America: United_States: California: Riverside_County: Riverside_Rock_Quarry)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

In a continuing effort to make the routes at the Quarry as safe and solid as possible, I have removed many tons of expanding and loose flakes off the flake band in the middle of the routes Culture Shock, Choss Revolution, and Buzzkill.

Over the next week or so, I will clean the newly exposed rock further, replace and/or move bolts and move on to the next on a long list of "to do" items at the Quarry.

Please enjoy other routes while this work is being done.

Thank you,

- Louie

ianmeister89

Jan 16, 2011, 7:47 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1804 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalbolter] Route Maintenance at Riverside Quarry [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Seeing today's happenings help me appreciate the work you do out there. Thanks for all your hard work and time, it means a lot!

-Ian

socalbolter

Jan 17, 2011, 2:39 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1774 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ianmeister89] Route Maintenance at Riverside Quarry [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So the story takes a turn for the worse:

I was out there yesterday until about 2:00 pm. I left a static rope clove hitched to a few random bolts here and there in the middle of the affected routes, having brushed all the dirt off the exposed rock. I wanted to be able to just jug up and do the remaining work.

Returned this morning at 8:00 am to find that someone had stolen the rope and 6 or 7 draws.

The Quarry was crawling with people yesterday in this area, so someone either did this with everyone watching, or stayed around until the crag was empty and did their deed.

I did some crappy things when I was younger, so maybe this is just my dose of karma, but it really sucks to have things like this happen. Since development of the Quarry began, I've lost about a dozen ropes and untold numbers of draws and biners.

If anyone saw anything, I'd appreciate hearing about it (although I'm not expecting much...).

- Louie

gregory_huey

Feb 10, 2011, 8:04 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1583 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalbolter] Route Maintenance at Riverside Quarry [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Louie,
You work tirelessly to maintain safety and improve the Quarry - like cleaning loosening rock - at no small risk to yourself, and with your own time and funds. I am deeply appreciative of all your work at the Quarry (and elsewhere). It is both baffling and infuriating that someone would steal your gear. As Alex said, you can not be allowed to loose gear like this. We (me, Alex and others that climb at the Quarry regularly) will all chip in and get you replacements.

Also, if ever you could use the help of an assistant/belayer for route maintenance please let me know. Cell phone is 626-345-8364.

Thanks for your good work,
Greg Huey

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook