Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Have you every climbed with anyone you found on Meetup.com
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Poll: Have you every climbed with anyone you found on Meetup.com
Yes, and it worked out just fine, I'll do it again 17 / 27%
Yes, and I'll never recover from it 9 / 14%
No, nobody will play with me no matter how much I post for friends on the internets 9 / 14%
No, can't be bothered, I have partners 28 / 44%
63 total votes

altelis

Jan 23, 2011, 12:39 AM
Post #51 of 75 (3805 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boadman] Have you every climbed with anyone you found on Meetup.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

boadman wrote:
If you've been climbing for any length of time, you're generally not going to be climbing in areas where there's a high density of noob groups. Usually they stay pretty restricted to places with a high concentration of easy routes.

If you've been climbing for any length of time, are sane, have no conflicting goals in your life, you don't live in DC.

But not all of us are so lucky to get all three. I'll give you a hint- the first 2 don't apply to me.

I'm only here for a few more years. But while here, "areas where there's a high density of noobs" is essentially any climbable rock w/in 2 hrs. And given the reason I'm here, I don't really have a lot of opportunities to drive 2+ hrs to climb.

But thanks for judging a situation, climbing area, and person you know nothing about.

TimothyMark

Jan 23, 2011, 1:15 AM
Post #52 of 75 (3791 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Have you every climbed with anyone you found on Meetup.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
It's not about "sheer numbers". It's about how those "sheer numbers" are broken up.

Thanks for the breakdown. I can see how the group size can make everyone louder. I'm not sure that the exploded bags or general space occupied is caused by the group - I think it's more a function of the number of people and their experience level. Of course, there's no way to tell, and it's probably moot anyway. The less experienced people probably wouldn't be out there without the group.

On non-climbers: I was thinking more about Sugarloaf and Annapolis Rocks, where there is significant overlap with non-climbers. At Great Falls, you're right, it's not much of an issue.

In any event, I'll raise these issues with the other organizers before we run any events in the spring. We'll do what we can to limit our impact, keep group sizes down, etc. There will always be newbies out there, including the ones in our group.

altelis

Jan 23, 2011, 1:25 AM
Post #53 of 75 (3787 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TimothyMark] Have you every climbed with anyone you found on Meetup.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TimothyMark wrote:
altelis wrote:
It's not about "sheer numbers". It's about how those "sheer numbers" are broken up.

Thanks for the breakdown. I can see how the group size can make everyone louder. I'm not sure that the exploded bags or general space occupied is caused by the group - I think it's more a function of the number of people and their experience level. Of course, there's no way to tell, and it's probably moot anyway. The less experienced people probably wouldn't be out there without the group.

On non-climbers: I was thinking more about Sugarloaf and Annapolis Rocks, where there is significant overlap with non-climbers. At Great Falls, you're right, it's not much of an issue.

In any event, I'll raise these issues with the other organizers before we run any events in the spring. We'll do what we can to limit our impact, keep group sizes down, etc. There will always be newbies out there, including the ones in our group.

Hey, I really appreciate that you really seem to be open to dialogue.

The bolded part is where you really nailed the issue. I used to guide in the area, and in my opinion this is what (can/should) set a guided group apart. I was in charge, and so I could and did dictate how people could behave. We had a place out of the way for bags, nothing was left exploded, and we kept our voices down when not talking to a climber/belayer.

And yes, Sugarloaf and Annapolis Rocks are much more crowded, which is why in my opinion they are much less appropriate for groups.

I'm not saying that noobs shouldn't have the opportunity to go out. But larger groups inherently tend to have a much larger proportion of noobs. Which is exactly the OPPOSITE of the best way to show a neophyte the proper ways to interact with a limited public resource. Especially if these groups don't have a clear and experienced leader. So in a certain way it IS a function of a "group".

Part of it is recognizing which areas are appropriate for groups and which aren't. Even if that area has a lot of easy climbs in high concentration. For example, Devils Kitchen and Boyscout Ledges are inappropriate areas for a large group (IMO). But MIddle Earth, despite it being more difficult to set up, is so much farther out of the way of the non-climbers, yet has more than enough area at the base to not be falling all over each other, making it a much better place for a larger group.

Not that there was much of an OP, but if you have any questions about good areas, ways to manage a large group effectively, teaching methods, etc., feel free to PM me. Or buy me a beer after a day of climbing Cool

Kartessa

Jan 23, 2011, 1:29 AM
Post #54 of 75 (3782 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Have you every climbed with anyone you found on Meetup.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You must be insanely n00b and be incredibly conflicted to pass up that kind of PT.

Fingers crossed on you getting outta DC fast :)

altelis

Jan 23, 2011, 1:36 AM
Post #55 of 75 (3778 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Have you every climbed with anyone you found on Meetup.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I went from 3 years of skiing & climbing out west to 4 of distinctly NOT skiing & climbing in DC.....so only 2.5 years to go!

Sometimes a great school isn't in a great location, and I was at a point where I thought I'd be better served in the long run by a great school. It'll give me a better shot at the rest of my life living someplace great as opposed to 4 somewhere great then only being able to move on to N. Dakota after that....

bearbreeder

Jan 23, 2011, 2:03 AM
Post #56 of 75 (3768 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boadman] Have you every climbed with anyone you found on Meetup.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

boadman wrote:
If you've been climbing for any length of time, you're generally not going to be climbing in areas where there's a high density of noob groups. Usually they stay pretty restricted to places with a high concentration of easy routes.

what he said ... theyll usually stick to places that have bolted top rope anchors ... easy walk offs, very short approaches, and easy or moderate grades in general ... oh and a short walk to the starbucks for a latte

i just view it as an opportunity ... the varsity outdoor club here has massive get toghether every year ... i try to make sure im in the same area when that happens

all those young fresh nubile freshwomen needing bondage ... ummmm ... i mean rope work instruction .... Tongue

jt512

Jan 23, 2011, 3:32 AM
Post #57 of 75 (3742 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lbrombach] Have you every climbed with anyone you found on Meetup.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Lbrombach wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Lbrombach wrote:
naitch wrote:
My wife and I have seen the local group at the gym and from what I've seen they probably better stay at the gym...

What a dumbass statement. I can easily say "I've seen people climbing at the gym and from what I've seen they probably better stay at the gym."

You just made the same "dumbass" statement you accused naitch of, Dumbass.

Jay

My God - you're dense if that's how you interpret my post.

No, you're dense if you call a statement "dumbass," and then make the exact same statement word for word.

As to this asinine comment:

In reply to:
Jay is just an ass that talks shit but I'm certain has learned everything he knows about climbing off the internet. He probably went outside once, left his bailing draw on a 5.9 and scurried back to his gym to tell all the noobs there his tales of outdoor greatness.

In the future you can save yourself a lot of embarrassment by checking someone's public climbing profile before making ridiculous accusations about what they have and haven't climbed.

Of the two of us, only you climb with Meetup groups, which speaks to which of us is the n00b.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jan 23, 2011, 3:40 AM)

jt512

Jan 23, 2011, 3:35 AM
Post #58 of 75 (3741 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

boadman wrote:

Sounds like regional bias. Around here, practically every sport crag has 5.12s and 5.13s intermingled with entry level routes.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jan 23, 2011, 3:37 AM)

Lbrombach

Jan 23, 2011, 2:19 PM
Post #59 of 75 (3691 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Have you every climbed with anyone you found on Meetup.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Lbrombach wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Lbrombach wrote:
naitch wrote:
My wife and I have seen the local group at the gym and from what I've seen they probably better stay at the gym...

What a dumbass statement. I can easily say "I've seen people climbing at the gym and from what I've seen they probably better stay at the gym."

Jay

No, you're dense if you call a statement "dumbass," and then make the exact same statement word for word.

In reply to:
Jay is just an ass that talks shit but I'm certain has learned everything he knows about climbing off the internet. He probably went outside once, left his bailing draw on a 5.9 and scurried back to his gym to tell all the noobs there his tales of outdoor greatness.

In the future you can save yourself a lot of embarrassment by checking someone's public climbing profile before making ridiculous accusations about what they have and haven't climbed.

Of the two of us, only you climb with Meetup groups, which speaks to which of us is the n00b.

Jay

I kin reed purdy good, Jr. But I can also smell your BS way over here in MI. You might wanna check MY online climbing profile before you call ME a noob.

And if you honestly can't pick up the point I was making then you should probably stick to the autobelay at the gym (and probably avoid a climbing gym-just start at one of those little towers they have at festivals) - those figure 8s are gonna be a bit too complicated for you.

How about somebody offer evidence that there are more accidents from meetups group events than from the general population. Of every single accident report listed here, I have yet to see one that started with "So I was climbing with this meetup group.." Heck, we should probably be assuming that meetup groups are safer than everyone else. My group has yet to have an injury and we climbed outside in three states and one foriegn country last year. Of course, I make it abundantly clear that the purpose of the group is to help climbers meet climbers, NOT teach, and everyone had better evaluate for themselves anything they pick up and who they are climbing with. you see - it's called a "meetup group." Not a "I'm going to teach you shit that I don't know anything about group."

jt512

Jan 23, 2011, 8:46 PM
Post #60 of 75 (3655 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lbrombach] Have you every climbed with anyone you found on Meetup.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lbrombach wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Lbrombach wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Lbrombach wrote:
naitch wrote:

Jay

In reply to:

Jay

I kin reed purdy good, Jr. But I can also smell your BS way over here in MI.

No, that's Lake Erie.

In reply to:
You might wanna check MY online climbing profile before you call ME a noob.

I did. It was blank.

In reply to:
And if you honestly can't pick up the point I was making then you should probably stick to the autobelay at the gym (and probably avoid a climbing gym-just start at one of those little towers they have at festivals) - those figure 8s are gonna be a bit too complicated for you.

I know the point you were trying to make.

In reply to:
How about somebody offer evidence that there are more accidents from meetups group events than from the general population.

How 'bout you show otherwise.

Fact of the matter is all of us who are dissing these groups are doing so precisely because we've repeatedly witnessed dangerous practices among them.

Jay

Kartessa

Jan 24, 2011, 2:24 AM
Post #61 of 75 (3613 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Have you every climbed with anyone you found on Meetup.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Fact of the matter is all of us who are dissing these groups are doing so precisely because we've repeatedly witnessed dangerous practices among them.

Jay

Not directed at you Jay, just using your quote...

With all the arguments about Meetups being a lot of n00bz doing stoopid and dangerous things, is it responsible of us to be suggesting meetups to people in the beginner forum?

I know there are people who organize them here, and if you're running the show in a responsible manner, feel free to offer your meetup group... but for the others?

Just threw this poll up to get a general opinion, and it seems pretty common that these groups can often do more harm than good for a new kid who's looking to learn.

Food for thought?

bearbreeder

Jan 24, 2011, 5:42 AM
Post #62 of 75 (3585 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Have you every climbed with anyone you found on Meetup.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:

Not directed at you Jay, just using your quote...

With all the arguments about Meetups being a lot of n00bz doing stoopid and dangerous things, is it responsible of us to be suggesting meetups to people in the beginner forum?

I know there are people who organize them here, and if you're running the show in a responsible manner, feel free to offer your meetup group... but for the others?

Just threw this poll up to get a general opinion, and it seems pretty common that these groups can often do more harm than good for a new kid who's looking to learn.

Food for thought?

not really ... climbing with partners from the gym can be just as dangerous as evidenced by the gym deckings ... meeting someone one rc.com may be just as bad ... you never know .. that old geezer who claims experience may be just as bad as well

if one can't suggest meetups, then one shouldnt suggest anything but a guide ... there seems to be a lot of "telling" on rc about what one should or shouldnt do ... out beyond the intrawebs, people just go climb

most scheduled meetup events are actually in the gym from what ive seen ... maybe there being unsafe gumby newbs in there ... lol

it'll be more correct to say that newbs might not want to climb with other newbs who have minimal outdoor experience ... that said im sure plenty of people have taken freedom of the hills, set up a top rope with newb friends the first time and come through perfectly fine ... its not like they drop like flies if they dont do things the way certain rc posters want ...

;)

(This post was edited by bearbreeder on Jan 24, 2011, 5:49 AM)

Lbrombach

Jan 24, 2011, 2:44 PM
Post #63 of 75 (3560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:

In reply to:
How about somebody offer evidence that there are more accidents from meetups group events than from the general population.

How 'bout you show otherwise.

OK. This past summer, I've witnessed two meetup groups climbing outdoors (toprope and sport). Adding up to I don't know how many hundreds of man-hours of climbing observed. I've witnessed zero climbing accidents, and members with experience guiding those with less experience. The experience would rig toprope anchors or show interested noobs how to rig them and usually others were there to check them. A couple bad TR anchors were corrected before anyone climbed on them.

Same summer, same trips - I witnessed a guy deck hard at the Red who was not part of any meetup group. Broken ankle and hurt back but he got lucky and landed inches from a jagged rock instead of on it.

Seen some scary ass toprope anchors and non-meetup people too arrogant to correct them when it was suggested that tying two pieces of webbing to 1.5inch diameter exposed root does not make a safe, redundant anchor system. But hey - at least they were nice people and willing to share their dangerous anchor, right?

In reply to:

Jay

I'm just saying that you've all also repeatedly seen non-meetup people doing stupid things and I'll call anyone who denies that a liar.

From data I've gathered first-hand (not stories heard while drinking around the campfire, or while grumbling down the crag about the effin meetup group hogging the routes), we should conclude that meetup groups by far the safer way to go... But I'm not so idiotic as to take limited data and skew things because I'm prejudiced against one group or the other.

Why do you refuse to accept that any new climber is an idiot if they don't carefully select who they're climbing with, and anyone who tries to teach people shit they don't know for themselves is a dangerous ass regardless of what group the individual does or doesn't belong to?

xbrianx1990

Jan 24, 2011, 2:59 PM
Post #64 of 75 (3545 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I help with a Meetup group here in CT and we've got climbers with zero experience up to a certified guide that are part of our meetups. We've had hundreds of meetups all of which with one exception that have been held at the gym. Yet most of the core members climb together outside each weekend. Our group has been a good way to meet other climbers and see if you'd want to go outside with them or even to be friends with that person.

For all the reasons discussed in this thread previously we have had our own disscussions about how to go about having outdoor meetups that would be safe and enjoyable for everyone. Its not that cut easy to come up with a system ensure that it's fair (and safe) for those setting gear and climbing on others gear.

jt512

Jan 24, 2011, 5:36 PM
Post #65 of 75 (3517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lbrombach wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

I'm just saying that you've all also repeatedly seen non-meetup people doing stupid things and I'll call anyone who denies that a liar.

Of course I have, but I have observed a rate of incompetence much higher among meetup groups than among other climbers (outdoors). I would estimate that the percentage of climbers making dangerous mistakes at meetup outings I've observed is at least 25% (maybe as high as 50% at the last one I witnessed), compared with, say, 1% among other outdoor climbers. So, I would estimate that a Meetup climber is at least 25 times (probably more like 50 times or more) more likely to be dangerous than a non-meetup (outdoor) climber.

In reply to:
But I'm not so idiotic as to take limited data and skew things because I'm prejudiced against one group or the other.

Except that is exactly what you're doing.

In reply to:
Why do you refuse to accept that any new climber is an idiot if they don't carefully select who they're climbing with, and anyone who tries to teach people shit they don't know for themselves is a dangerous ass regardless of what group the individual does or doesn't belong to?

You've just described the typical Meetup group to a tee.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jan 24, 2011, 6:09 PM)

Lbrombach

Jan 24, 2011, 6:02 PM
Post #66 of 75 (3499 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's OK, Jay. I get that you're not really any good at anything and thus your sole source of self esteem comes from thinking that people think you're smart - even when your wrong. You can make another statement with logic an eight year old would be proud of, back it up with fictitious estimates and I won't reply so you can sleep tonight thinking that someone believes you're right. (even though at this point even you know you're you're full of it and are stretching the truth because you can't stand for people to think you were wrong.)

jt512

Jan 24, 2011, 6:08 PM
Post #67 of 75 (3491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Lbrombach wrote:
It's OK, Jay. I get that you're not really any good at anything and thus your sole source of self esteem comes from thinking that people think you're smart - even when your wrong. You can make another statement with logic an eight year old would be proud of, back it up with fictitious estimates and I won't reply so you can sleep tonight thinking that someone believes you're right. (even though at this point even you know you're you're full of it and are stretching the truth because you can't stand for people to think you were wrong.)

If you're going to talk about flaws in other people's logic, you might want to try and formulate an argument that doesn't rely on multiple ad hominem attacks.

Jay

jumpingrock

Jan 25, 2011, 12:38 AM
Post #68 of 75 (3442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ignoring entirely the moronic flame war, my experience with climbing meetup groups was not good.

After taking two years off I went looking for partners and did some climbing with the Calgary Meetup group. I was stupid enough to let a rather inexperienced belayer belay me. About 10 feet from the ground she got lifted up, released the only hand she had on the brake line to stop from hitting the wall and I decked. Didn't climb with her or the group again after that.

That said, everybody who climbs with a meetup group is just like every other climber. Inexperienced when they start, stupid when they know enough to be dangerous and good if they live/climb long enough. The trouble with meetup groups is that there is a perception that the more experienced (those that know enough to be dangerous) are actually safe climbers. This leads to, as said above, the lemming effect whereby some inexperienced climber leads others into danger without the others having a clue.

That said, if the meetup group is run and includes experienced and safe climbers, then there is no more danger climbing there than anywhere else.

Problem is, most experienced climbers have a group of people whom they trust to climb with and won't climb with a meetup group or any other group.

naitch

Jan 25, 2011, 2:29 PM
Post #69 of 75 (3419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Polls aren't everything, and the sampling size is small...still it's interesting to note (as of this writing), of those with direct experience with a meetup group (first two questions), over 1/3 had a negative experience.

Of course we don't know the reason for their negative experiences...unsafe practices; social disaster; poor leadership; etc.

...draw your own conclusion

freeflybella

Jan 25, 2011, 3:26 PM
Post #70 of 75 (3399 views)
Shortcut

Re: [naitch] Have you every climbed with anyone you found on Meetup.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
any new climber is an idiot if they don't carefully select who they're climbing with

This is probably not the place for my question but the above sentence underscores my situation.

I'm a former skydiver (11 years) who left the sport to have a baby. Now, a single mama with a 5 year old, I've discovered climbing.

I don't have a ton time to hang out at the gym trying to get people's attention. I'm not there enough for any of the regular climbers to even notice me - and honestly, I feel weird about interrupting people while they are climbing (maybe lack of social skills applies here?).

I've asked the staff at the gym for advice on how to learn - advice was "make friends".

So my question is, do good/experienced climbers spend time teaching/talking to noobs? And how can I be choosy when I don't have much to choose from?

In skydiving, there is training. And mentoring. And advanced training. And skygod training. And ways to make the most of your time learning.

To stay on topic, I joined a meetup group about a week ago and my post hasn't even been viewed, yet.

If you don't suggest meetups (and they aren't consistently productive/educational), what do you suggest?

bearbreeder

Jan 25, 2011, 9:10 PM
Post #71 of 75 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Re: [freeflybella] Have you every climbed with anyone you found on Meetup.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

freeflybella wrote:
This is probably not the place for my question but the above sentence underscores my situation.

I'm a former skydiver (11 years) who left the sport to have a baby. Now, a single mama with a 5 year old, I've discovered climbing.

I don't have a ton time to hang out at the gym trying to get people's attention. I'm not there enough for any of the regular climbers to even notice me - and honestly, I feel weird about interrupting people while they are climbing (maybe lack of social skills applies here?).

I've asked the staff at the gym for advice on how to learn - advice was "make friends".

So my question is, do good/experienced climbers spend time teaching/talking to noobs? And how can I be choosy when I don't have much to choose from?

In skydiving, there is training. And mentoring. And advanced training. And skygod training. And ways to make the most of your time learning.

To stay on topic, I joined a meetup group about a week ago and my post hasn't even been viewed, yet.

If you don't suggest meetups (and they aren't consistently productive/educational), what do you suggest?

since the haters dont usually give any alternatives ...

- make friends ... flashing boobays usually works
- join a meetup, outdoor groups or other such "gumby newb" organization
- join the alpine club, or other such more respectable org ... fees usually apply
- take a course with a guide ... costs less at certain time and places, like festivals
- internet forums or climbfind ...
-get yr gumby new friends toghether and a good anchor book ... and start trying

all of them except for the guides do entail certain risks and an evaluation of the ability of those you climb with ... but thats why its free ... and guides arent

the next "safest" is the alpine club, or mountaineering club ... they should have a history of training newb members ... they may not rock climb a ton ... but they should be very knowledgeable in anchors, ropework, rescue, etc ...

after that as a climber you do have the responsibility to educate yourself, either through reading material or asking questions, about those youll climb with (you actually always have that responsibility) ... you always have the option of not climbing with that person or group if you dont feel safe

i suggest picking up a copy of craig lubbens anchor book and practice his anchors at home over and over again ....... its not rocket science ...

move on from there ...

a lot of meetups start in the gym, climb with them first there ... some gyms have practice anchors bolts you can use ... ask the meetup guys to help you pratice setups ... you can get an idea if they know how to set up a bolted top rope before heading out ... if they cant do that, thats a problem

youll find here that everyone loves to tell you what to do .... and if you dont youre gonna die !!!

off the internet, people just climb and have fun ... and no they dont usually die ...

(This post was edited by bearbreeder on Jan 25, 2011, 9:17 PM)

tower_climber

Jan 25, 2011, 10:24 PM
Post #72 of 75 (3348 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Carnage] Have you every climbed with anyone you found on Meetup.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Really? I can't say that I've encountered that. To be fair, I am somewhat of a noob and I generally stick with the same group of 4-5 people when I'm at the meetups. But the people I've interacted with at the events are mostly decent people that are upfront about their experience level (some of them have a lot of experience, some none).

Mind sharing which of the two local gyms is having an issue? I know the Meetup climbs at two different gyms and the people that attend events at one gym are not the same people that go to the other one.

freeflybella

Jan 26, 2011, 2:07 PM
Post #73 of 75 (3320 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Have you every climbed with anyone you found on Meetup.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
freeflybella wrote:

since the haters dont usually give any alternatives ...

- make friends ... flashing boobays usually works
- join a meetup, outdoor groups or other such "gumby newb" organization
- join the alpine club, or other such more respectable org ... fees usually apply
- take a course with a guide ... costs less at certain time and places, like festivals
- internet forums or climbfind ...
-get yr gumby new friends toghether and a good anchor book ... and start trying

all of them except for the guides do entail certain risks and an evaluation of the ability of those you climb with ... but thats why its free ... and guides arent

the next "safest" is the alpine club, or mountaineering club ... they should have a history of training newb members ... they may not rock climb a ton ... but they should be very knowledgeable in anchors, ropework, rescue, etc ...

after that as a climber you do have the responsibility to educate yourself, either through reading material or asking questions, about those youll climb with (you actually always have that responsibility) ... you always have the option of not climbing with that person or group if you dont feel safe

i suggest picking up a copy of craig lubbens anchor book and practice his anchors at home over and over again ....... its not rocket science ...

move on from there ...

a lot of meetups start in the gym, climb with them first there ... some gyms have practice anchors bolts you can use ... ask the meetup guys to help you pratice setups ... you can get an idea if they know how to set up a bolted top rope before heading out ... if they cant do that, thats a problem

youll find here that everyone loves to tell you what to do .... and if you dont youre gonna die !!!

off the internet, people just climb and have fun ... and no they dont usually die ...

(dropzone.com has a similar quality. A lot of fluff but some really good advice sprinkled in for anyone who really wants to take the time and keep eyes/ears open.)

Thanks for replying and for the suggestions - hijack over - sorry!

Stoves

Feb 4, 2011, 11:39 AM
Post #74 of 75 (3246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm meeting with some people from meetup over the weekend. I will let you know how it goes

streetdoctor

Feb 8, 2011, 6:30 PM
Post #75 of 75 (3185 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Stoves] Have you every climbed with anyone you found on Meetup.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Reading some of these replies is making me laugh. I climb with the local meetup group but only with a select few people. There are a lot of new climbers in the group and a few of them are way overly cautious. Like demanding equally weighted climbers/belayers even when my girlfriend has been belaying me fine since the day we started climbing together. Trying to make me stick clip not just the first bolt but also the second on a sport route lol. Trying to tell people they can't lead outside unless they've been "Certified" at the local climbing gym... LOL. In my eyes they're taking a lot of liability on that they shouldn't be. It should be a social group "climb at your own risk" type deal. Not "mother may I". I've had it out with the "leader" a few times about some of the craziness and we stay away from each other now so all is pretty good.

I have all of my own gear, so I really only enjoy the group for the social aspect after climbing just because I don't know that many climbers. Living in the midwest sucks.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook