Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
climbing opps in NOLA?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

peppercola

Oct 14, 2010, 10:09 PM
Post #1 of 6 (3864 views)
Shortcut

climbing opps in NOLA?  (North_America: United_States: Louisiana: New_Orleans)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am getting ready to move to New Orleans for about 8 months, and the thought of not climbing for that long makes me want to kill myself (or at least cry). I figure there must be climbers in the city, though, and I was wondering what the locals do to keep climbing. Do you all just go go Slidell? Or make the 5 to 7 hour drive to outdoor areas whenever you can? Or do you all have small gyms in your garages? How do climbers survive in New Orleans?

acorneau

Oct 15, 2010, 7:18 PM
Post #2 of 6 (3832 views)
Shortcut

Re: [peppercola] climbing opps in NOLA? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure that any climbing is 5 to 7 hours away. Austin is close to 9 hours, Chattanooga is probably 8 hours or so. Wichitas are about 12 hours and HCR is probably 10 hours. (All these are my best guesses using a map.)

I've heard of the gym in Slidell (never been there) and as far as I know it's the only one near there.

We sometimes get people coming in to Texas Rock Gym (Houston) for a rest stop on their way out to Austin/Reimers or Enchanted Rock.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck.

vojtek

Feb 4, 2011, 12:14 PM
Post #3 of 6 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm also here for 4 months, living around New Orleans. Im looking to climb some rocks. I'm willing to do the 7 hour drive to the nearest craig. Im looking for someone to climb with. Anyone interested or going climbing any time soon?

yodadave

Feb 4, 2011, 1:18 PM
Post #4 of 6 (3639 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my buddy did the NOLA thing and drove to Sandrock Al (2hrs closer than Chatty) most weekends or Steele. Apparently there is a small tightknit group of climbers there. Do what you got to.

colatownkid

Feb 4, 2011, 2:24 PM
Post #5 of 6 (3630 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

peppercola wrote:
I am getting ready to move to New Orleans for about 8 months, and the thought of not climbing for that long makes me want to kill myself (or at least cry). I figure there must be climbers in the city, though, and I was wondering what the locals do to keep climbing. Do you all just go go Slidell? Or make the 5 to 7 hour drive to outdoor areas whenever you can? Or do you all have small gyms in your garages? How do climbers survive in New Orleans?

You're 6 hours from Steele, Palisades, and Horse Pens 40 in Alabama. You're about 5 hours from Moss Rock in Alabama (bouldering, not bad, but you might as well drive the extra hour to HP40). You're about 7 hours from Sand Rock, Jamestown, Griffin Falls, and Little River Canyon in Alabama. A little under 8 hours to Chattanooga where you can find T-Wall, Sunset, Foster Falls, Little Rock City. That's probably about the same as the drive to HCR in Arkansas.

As for gyms, no idea what's in New Orleans. But woodies can be made reasonably cheaply if you have access to some tools, and you can make a crack machine for $60 (PM if you're interested).

I knew a few climbers from Louisiana. They were actually ridiculously strong boulderers--like, flashing V8. Anyway, their secret was a woody in the garage and frequent roadtrips to HP40.

Hope that helps.

rtwilli4

Feb 4, 2011, 3:06 PM
Post #6 of 6 (3619 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I volunteered in NOLA after Katrina... ended up staying for a few months. Amazing city if you get to know the right people.

The Rock Haus in Lafayette is a pretty descent gym but far away.

I think Tulane has a gym too.

There is so much violent crime down there that I'm sure no one will care if you climb the buildings. Hell when I was there we had 40 foot bonfires in the middle of the city... but then again the police force hadn't come back yet and the Natl. Guard were busy harassing people. Anyways...

Go out, enjoy the music, drink your face off. Do some volunteer work. Parts of the city are most certainly still not back to normal.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook