Forums: Rockclimbing.com: Suggestions & Feedback:
Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

spikeddem

Jan 26, 2011, 3:43 PM
Post #26 of 173 (9568 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
qwert wrote:
I wonder why i already did know who this was about before even clicking the first link in this thread?

Personally i dont have any problem with him (maybe i'm already plonked?), and i dont think there is any reason to be overly polite to utter idiots, however i would suggest that Jay readjusts his thresholds for "utter idiot" and "overly polite". sometimes his shouting does indeed get rather distracting.

qwert

I think we have indeed been seeing a kinder, gentler jt over the last 2 months or so. Not too long ago he would have been trolling the shit out of this and other recent threads where he is being openly attacked.
killfile.

spikeddem

Jan 27, 2011, 8:32 PM
Post #27 of 173 (9536 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm. Is "STFU" an Ad Hominem? I don't think so. Jay is on a roll.

jt512

Jan 30, 2011, 6:33 AM
Post #28 of 173 (9494 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TonyB3] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

After having actually looked at these, the first few links that you posted, they're innocuous. What's your problem?

jay

k.l.k

Jan 31, 2011, 2:32 AM
Post #29 of 173 (9463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

personally, i think j needs to dial it up a notch.

usnavy is still here, for instance.

caughtinside

Jan 31, 2011, 5:23 PM
Post #30 of 173 (9434 views)
Shortcut

Re: [k.l.k] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

k.l.k wrote:
personally, i think j needs to dial it up a notch.

usnavy is still here, for instance.

He and jt are buddies.

TonyB3

Feb 2, 2011, 11:59 PM
Post #31 of 173 (9389 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:

After having actually looked at these, the first few links that you posted, they're innocuous. What's your problem?

jay

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=2453845#2453845

jt512

Feb 3, 2011, 12:37 AM
Post #32 of 173 (9384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

TonyB3 wrote:
jt512 wrote:

jay

After looking at that, what's your problem?

Jay

curt

Feb 3, 2011, 5:46 AM
Post #33 of 173 (9351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
TonyB3 wrote:
jt512 wrote:

jay

Jay

Yes, after all you did say "please." Cool

Curt

jt512

Feb 3, 2011, 6:24 AM
Post #34 of 173 (9343 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:
jt512 wrote:
TonyB3 wrote:
jt512 wrote:

jay

Jay

Yes, after all you did say "please." Cool

Curt

That and the fact that I was replying to an ignorant babbling fool.

Jay

ddt

Feb 3, 2011, 12:28 PM
Post #35 of 173 (9320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TonyB3 wrote:
A small sample of ad hominem attacks and insults lobbed by one particular user.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=2442512#2442512

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=2442041#2442041

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=2442331#2442331

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=2441563#2441563

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=2441597#2441597

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=2441373#2441373

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=2427524#2427524

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=2425049#2425049

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=2422628#2422628

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=2420018#2420018

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=2414921#2414921

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=1662878#1662878

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=2406916#2406916

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ost=2449669;#2449669

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ost=2445171;#2445171

(Sorry for the somewhat belated response. I just returned from some time off.)

I am not going to enter into a public discussion about a specific user, nor will I discuss the merits of the examples given. What I will say is that personal attacks are against the forum rules and will not be tolerated. Bear in mind however that the loose definition of "personal attack" allows for varying degrees of tolerance to be applied depending on the forum, topic and context of the conversation. This is after all an adult internet forum and a certain degree of "thick skin" is expected of users who choose to participate in the conversation. We also expect some amount of "self-moderation" from the community.

Having said that, I would also like to make it clear that repeat and/or habitual offenders stand a chance of losing their posting privileges permanently. This applies not only to offenses in the category of "personal attacks", but also to excessive profanity, rudeness, inflammatory material, disruptive posts, and trolls (i.e. posts with the sole aim of invoking negative responses).

DDT

climbs4fun

Feb 5, 2011, 4:01 PM
Post #36 of 173 (9252 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ddt] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ok, after a lot of discussion in the green room, this is what it boils down to. The decision included in this statement is unanimous from ddt phil, and all moderators. Our decision on this particular case pertains to JT510, however, we have also decided that this type of situation will not arise again with any other user. it will be dealt with long before it gets to this point. So, with that, the staff answer to the OP's question is this:

In reply to:
Jay, your latest tirade is yet another episode in your history of hostility towards the moderator and management team, which includes explicit verbal assaults on us on multiple occasions. This despite past warnings, both publicly and in private to you. You are on thin ice, considering that we're currently also dealing with a growing upwelling of frustration from the rest of the community towards you. Your motivation seems to be the misconception that "knowledgeablility about climbing (according to you)" is the ultimate requirement for being a good moderator of a community site, when in fact your own history as a mod of this site has so elegantly proven this fallacy. We as mods are certainly not above criticism, as we've shown over and over again in the past, but your abrasive approach is doing nothing but undermine the entire staff and management team's credibility. You are making our jobs (as volunteers I will add) as unpleasant as it can possibly be. You may think this is "helping" the site, but it is not. You are only perpetuating an environment of hostility for everyone on this site. I suggest you do some serious introspection and start working with us, not against us.

jt512

Feb 5, 2011, 4:39 PM
Post #37 of 173 (9247 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbs4fun] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

climbs4fun wrote:
ok, after a lot of discussion in the green room, this is what it boils down to. The decision included in this statement is unanimous from ddt phil, and all moderators. Our decision on this particular case pertains to JT510, however, we have also decided that this type of situation will not arise again with any other user. it will be dealt with long before it gets to this point. So, with that, the staff answer to the OP's question is this:

In reply to:
Jay, your latest tirade is yet another episode in your history of hostility towards the moderator and management team, which includes explicit verbal assaults on us on multiple occasions. This despite past warnings, both publicly and in private to you. You are on thin ice, considering that we're currently also dealing with a growing upwelling of frustration from the rest of the community towards you. Your motivation seems to be the misconception that "knowledgeablility about climbing (according to you)" is the ultimate requirement for being a good moderator of a community site, when in fact your own history as a mod of this site has so elegantly proven this fallacy. We as mods are certainly not above criticism, as we've shown over and over again in the past, but your abrasive approach is doing nothing but undermine the entire staff and management team's credibility. You are making our jobs (as volunteers I will add) as unpleasant as it can possibly be. You may think this is "helping" the site, but it is not. You are only perpetuating an environment of hostility for everyone on this site. I suggest you do some serious introspection and start working with us, not against us.

So you, the moderators, whom I'm supposed to "work with," bury an ad hominem attack against me in your trumped up accusation of "episode of...hostility toward the moderator and management team." Classy. I'm undermining you? What a joke.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Feb 5, 2011, 4:42 PM)

notapplicable

Feb 6, 2011, 12:30 AM
Post #38 of 173 (9210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
climbs4fun wrote:

In reply to:

So you, the moderators, whom I'm supposed to "work with," bury an ad hominem attack against me in your trumped up accusation of "episode of...hostility toward the moderator and management team." Classy. I'm undermining you? What a joke.

Jay

HA! You just got downgraded!

notapplicable

Feb 6, 2011, 12:48 AM
Post #39 of 173 (9199 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbs4fun] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbs4fun wrote:

In reply to:

A. This^ is retarded.

B. Jay has gotten, from all sides, as good or better than he has given. The notion that he is victimizing the knob and it's users is laughable.

C. He may be abrasive but he has also been on the right side of a good number of critiques of this website that have been politely acknowledged and then hastily disregarded by DDT and the Mods. It's funny how often people perceive being told they are wrong (especially when they are) as an attack or insult.

climbs4fun

Feb 6, 2011, 1:19 AM
Post #40 of 173 (9192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
jt512 wrote:
climbs4fun wrote:

In reply to:

Jay

Actually, that was NOT intended

jt512

Feb 6, 2011, 3:32 AM
Post #41 of 173 (9176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
climbs4fun wrote:

In reply to:

A. This^ is retarded.

B. Jay has gotten, from all sides, as good or better than he has given.

Thank you for noticing.

In reply to:
The notion that he is victimizing the knob and it's users is laughable.

C. He may be abrasive but he has also been on the right side of a good number of critiques of this website that have been politely acknowledged and then hastily disregarded by DDT and the Mods.

Yes, as I predict the mod's 5x-vote advantage will be, as well as the now thoroughly discredited system of anonymous voting.

In reply to:
It's funny how often people perceive being told they are wrong (especially when they are) as an attack or insult.

Indeed it is.

Jay

guangzhou

Feb 6, 2011, 4:13 AM
Post #42 of 173 (9169 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
TonyB3 wrote:
macherry wrote:
moved to suggestions and feedback, a more appropriate forum.

Thank you.

It seems like this has been going on for some time and it gets overlooked. I know a certain amount of good natured ribbing is to be expected, but there is nothing good natured about jt512's posts. In general they are mean spirited and condescending, to say the least.

I just got sick of reading them and would like an honest explanation as to why they are tolerated. I know that as a long time lurker my voice has little weight, but I think a good many others fail to post here because of the caustic nature of this particular user. Is being self important enough to get away with abusing fellow members?

jt512 is the Dr. House of RC.com. He's an asshole, but he's also generally right.

I am not sure he is generally right. Just because he post often and yells the loudest doesn't mean he's right.

guangzhou

Feb 6, 2011, 4:30 AM
Post #43 of 173 (9161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now, in defence of Jay,

First, I have never met you face to face, but I do think we would enjoy climbing together if we ever had the opportunity.

In the case of your postings here, I don't agree with most of what you write, but I do enjoy reading it. Sometimes I ask myself if you're just playing the Devil's Advocate or if you really believe every post.

Personally, I've never been offended by the things you write. Some of them have caused me to pause and think a bit, but I don't think I've ever been offended, shocked, or pissed by what anything you've written. About me or others.

over all, you do have a wealth of knowledge, I don't agree with how you apply it or interpret it sometimes, but climbing is personal and everyone can decide how to apply or interpret what they know.

I think a day at a crag with you would be interesting. The banter or conversations we could have would make any climbing area interesting. A lot of climbers I've met lately have been to scared or insecure to speak their mind, I miss having my views, and ideas challenged.

Like you, I have my own, personal and often strong belief, and I think a face to face conversation would be more interesting than exchanges on this site.

One thing I do try to keep in mind when I post, not everyone has a tough skin, especially on this forum. You do, and I think I do, so I don't mind giving you crap and arguing with you. I do think that many climbers I meet today are insecure about climbing, their belief system, and themselves.

While I agree you are aggressive on this site, I am actually one of the ones who would miss reading your post. (I do still wonder who else would)

My two cents,
Eman

(This post was edited by guangzhou on Feb 6, 2011, 4:34 AM)

notapplicable

Feb 6, 2011, 4:39 AM
Post #44 of 173 (9156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbs4fun wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
jt512 wrote:
climbs4fun wrote:

In reply to:

Jay

Actually, that was NOT intended

Twas hilarious nonetheless

jt512

Feb 6, 2011, 5:12 AM
Post #45 of 173 (9152 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (10 ratings)  
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
Now, in defence of Jay,

First, I have never met you face to face, but I do think we would enjoy climbing together if we ever had the opportunity.

In the case of your postings here, I don't agree with most of what you write, but I do enjoy reading it. Sometimes I ask myself if you're just playing the Devil's Advocate or if you really believe every post.

Personally, I've never been offended by the things you write. Some of them have caused me to pause and think a bit, but I don't think I've ever been offended, shocked, or pissed by what anything you've written. About me or others.

over all, you do have a wealth of knowledge, I don't agree with how you apply it or interpret it sometimes, but climbing is personal and everyone can decide how to apply or interpret what they know.

I think a day at a crag with you would be interesting. The banter or conversations we could have would make any climbing area interesting. A lot of climbers I've met lately have been to scared or insecure to speak their mind, I miss having my views, and ideas challenged.

Like you, I have my own, personal and often strong belief, and I think a face to face conversation would be more interesting than exchanges on this site.

One thing I do try to keep in mind when I post, not everyone has a tough skin, especially on this forum. You do, and I think I do, so I don't mind giving you crap and arguing with you. I do think that many climbers I meet today are insecure about climbing, their belief system, and themselves.

While I agree you are aggressive on this site, I am actually one of the ones who would miss reading your post. (I do still wonder who else would)

My two cents,
Eman

Thanks for this post.

We do seem to disagree on a surprisingly large number of issues. I have to admit that I have taken some of these disagreements personally, but now that I have a better appreciation of where you are coming from, I'll be less prone to do that in the future.

Thanks, again.

My communication style generally is not to sugar coat. I try to plainly state my opinions. IRL, my circle of friends, most of whom are scientists or mathematicians, have learned to do the same thing. Scientists and mathematicians value the truth, and spend much of their time having vigorous debates about it. They're used to being told they're flatly wrong, and are used to telling others that they are flatly wrong. It's nothing personal. Outside of scientific circles, such straight talk is often politically incorrect (literally! since in politics it is incorrect by definition). Many people probably go through most of their lives without being told, without any sugar coating, "No, you are wrong," and so they take it personally on the rare occasion they encounter it.

By those who don't like me, I am often accused of "personally attacking" other users. Although, I can't claim to be entirely innocent of that charge, I maintain that the vast majority of the time that I am perceived as personally attacking someone, I am either just speaking plain truth or I have been provoked into making the insult. Obviously, being insulted is not a valid reason for insulting someone back, but it is at least a reason, and I shouldn't be blamed for these occasions. And, of course, since the majority of the mods have turned against me, users have free reign to attack me at will (which, as notapplicable has noted, above, they do), while I have to walk on eggshells in my responses to their attacks.

I may not have the highest post count on the website, but I suspect I have, by far, the highest post count in the climbing-specific forums (i.e, outside of Community, etc.). I've got over 20 years climbing experience, and nearly 20,000 posts on this website using that experience to debate substantive climbing topics. Those posts are not all flames. They're not mostly flames. They're not even remotely mostly flames. And most of the time that they've been flames, the flamee had it coming, either by first attacking me (usually more than once) or by posting completely idiotic or irresponsible information.

Jay

Partner philbox

Feb 6, 2011, 9:07 AM
Post #46 of 173 (9131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So to be very clear, what we are asking you to do Jay is to bring a little diplomacy into your posts. We are asking as politely as possible. I am not going to debate any of the issues from the past or any of your justifications. We are here at this point in time, it is what it is.

Take it and run with it or see ya later. Can't be plainer than that.

Over to you.

dr_feelgood

Feb 6, 2011, 11:52 AM
Post #47 of 173 (9114 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philbox] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

philbox wrote:
So to be very clear, what we are asking you to do Jay is to bring a little diplomacy into your posts. We are asking as politely as possible. I am not going to debate any of the issues from the past or any of your justifications. We are here at this point in time, it is what it is.

Take it and run with it or see ya later. Can't be plainer than that.

Over to you.

There would be a lot less of a grey area if jt would just call a mod a "sanctimonious bitch" again and be done with it. At least the little fellow has learned that lesson.

ubu

Feb 6, 2011, 1:35 PM
Post #48 of 173 (9101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
climbs4fun wrote:

In reply to:

A. This^ is retarded.

B. Jay has gotten, from all sides, as good or better than he has given. The notion that he is victimizing the knob and it's users is laughable.

C. He may be abrasive but he has also been on the right side of a good number of critiques of this website that have been politely acknowledged and then hastily disregarded by DDT and the Mods. It's funny how often people perceive being told they are wrong (especially when they are) as an attack or insult.

+1

This whole whine-fest of a thread is retarded.

beetlebug

Feb 6, 2011, 6:06 PM
Post #49 of 173 (9071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
... scientists or mathemeticians...

What are two groups generly known for their pronounced lack of social skills, condescending behavior and overinflated egos. I'll take "Not helping your argument" for $200, Alex.

jt512

Feb 6, 2011, 6:25 PM
Post #50 of 173 (9335 views)
Shortcut

Re: [beetlebug] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

beetlebug wrote:
jt512 wrote:
... scientists or mathemeticians...

What are two groups generly known for their pronounced lack of social skills, condescending behavior and overinflated egos.

Really? That's odd. The scientists and mathematicians I know are the nicest people I've ever met. Just don't try to bullshit them.

Jay

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook