Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Stolen Draws
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

sshiflett

Feb 8, 2011, 9:13 PM
Post #1 of 13 (3797 views)
Shortcut

Stolen Draws  (North_America: United_States: California: Riverside_County: Riverside_Rock_Quarry)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It seems we have a theif at the Quarry. Just for info, I had 6 CAMP draws and 2 Omega anchor draws hanging on Sins of the Flesh over the weekend, and I came back today to find them gone. These were obviously set up as a project. Louie Anderson had several draws stolen last week while taking care of all of us and cleaning dangerous rock. Who ever took these is a serious piece of crap. Done leave anything on your projects Frown

crazy_fingers84

Feb 8, 2011, 10:20 PM
Post #2 of 13 (3749 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sshiflett] Stolen Draws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sshiflett wrote:
It seems we have a theif at the Quarry. Just for info, I had 6 CAMP draws and 2 Omega anchor draws hanging on Sins of the Flesh over the weekend, and I came back today to find them gone. These were obviously set up as a project. Louie Anderson had several draws stolen last week while taking care of all of us and cleaning dangerous rock. Who ever took these is a serious piece of crap. Done leave anything on your projects Frown

that's a bummer. hopefully you find out who did it and you can get them back.

petsfed

Feb 8, 2011, 10:29 PM
Post #3 of 13 (3735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Before any crusty trad climbing thief apologists start ranting about asthetics and abandoned property, I encourage them to read the area description. Thieves suck.

tripperjm

Feb 8, 2011, 10:40 PM
Post #4 of 13 (3722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not just happening at the Quarry, it's happening all over the country.

A couple of weeks back I was tring to repeat one of my FA's from 15 years ago on a crag that sees very little traffic. On my last burn, just before dark, I broke teh cruz hold. It was getting late and already cold and windy. I knew, I would be back early the next morning to clean up the loose/ dangerous rock that wus left after the hold broke. So I left my work rope thru the anchors and draws and remaining rope coiled and tied to a rock at the base. So it would be easier for me to get back up and fix the route the next day. When I returned early the next morning, the rope and draws were gone.

I couldn't believe that after establishing virtually all of teh almost 400 routes in the area, building the trails, building benches, cleaning up the trash in the area including old washing machines, dumped building materials, broken glass and even a burned out car the BLM wouldn't touch... that somebody would steal from me.

I was pretty pissed at the time. I seriously thought about stripping all of my hangers/ anchors off all the easy route and taking them to one of my newer unpublished area. In the end I just walked back to my car, grabbed another rope and a handfull of extra draws and went climbing. I did decide, that I will never put up easy routes or give out climbing info to new areas I'm developing ever again.

moose_droppings

Feb 8, 2011, 10:52 PM
Post #5 of 13 (3710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Keep an eye out for this guy.

gregory_huey

Feb 16, 2011, 12:59 AM
Post #6 of 13 (3582 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tripperjm] Stolen Draws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jack,
I'm sorry that someone would do that to you - its pretty low. But, remember that for ever jerkoff out there that would steal from you, there are hundreds of us that are very grateful and deeply appreciative of the time and money you invest to give us routes to climb. Though greater by far, it's just that the positive is rarely as visible as the negative. If ever you can use some semi-skilled assistance for route maintenance/development, I'd be happy to help. My cell is 626-345-8364.

Thanks,
Greg Huey

(This post was edited by gregory_huey on Feb 16, 2011, 1:11 AM)

enigma

Feb 16, 2011, 8:39 AM
Post #7 of 13 (3501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tripperjm wrote:

A couple of weeks back I was tring to repeat one of my FA's from 15 years ago on a crag that sees very little traffic. On my last burn, just before dark, I broke teh cruz hold. It was getting late and already cold and windy. I knew, I would be back early the next morning to clean up the loose/ dangerous rock that wus left after the hold broke. So I left my work rope thru the anchors and draws and remaining rope coiled and tied to a rock at the base. So it would be easier for me to get back up and fix the route the next day. When I returned early the next morning, the rope and draws were gone.

I couldn't believe that after establishing virtually all of teh almost 400 routes in the area, building the trails, building benches, cleaning up the trash in the area including old washing machines, dumped building materials, broken glass and even a burned out car the BLM wouldn't touch... that somebody would steal from me.

I was pretty pissed at the time. I seriously thought about stripping all of my hangers/ anchors off all the easy route and taking them to one of my newer unpublished area. In the end I just walked back to my car, grabbed another rope and a handfull of extra draws and went climbing. I did decide, that I will never put up easy routes or give out climbing info to new areas I'm developing ever again.

Since you are so familiar with your area, set up a sting, and catch them!!! They must have watched you leaving.
Not sure if you could get the police involved, but legally aren't they trespassing and stealing?
Bait and Catch.
I feel your pain, Alot of So-Cal is very harsh, people have no respect, they are like wild animals
I've had vandalism experiences as well. it sucks.
Unsure

socalclimber

Feb 16, 2011, 1:27 PM
Post #8 of 13 (3457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tripperjm wrote:

Jack, I understand your bitterness, but as you have stated, this is happening all over the US. I'm sure by now you have seen the video from Smith Rocks.

I think the days of leaving "project" gear on routes is over unless you sleep at the base. I hope you don't stop all the good work you've been doing for years because of this.

I for one appreciate all your hard work, time, and expense out of pocket.

sshiflett

Feb 25, 2011, 8:31 PM
Post #9 of 13 (3252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got them back!!!!! This story has a happy ending. A climber read my post and realized he had taken my draws. He emailed me and returned them right away. Apparently he is a relatively new climber that didn't realize people sometimes leave gear on a project. He thought the draws were abandoned and someone had bailed off the route. Thanks for being a good guy Jake!

ianmeister89

Feb 25, 2011, 9:24 PM
Post #10 of 13 (3229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

So he's a relatively new climber who can climb 12b, or who already knows how to aid up a route, but doesn't understand project draws? Something's a little off with this IMO. I think he just doesn't want the bad Karma...

-Ian

kovacs69

Feb 25, 2011, 9:47 PM
Post #11 of 13 (3217 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ianmeister89] Stolen Draws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ianmeister89 wrote:
So he's a relatively new climber who can climb 12b, or who already knows how to aid up a route, but doesn't understand project draws? Something's a little off with this IMO. I think he just doesn't want the bad Karma...

-Ian

Maybe he is a new climber that can rapel down a 12b which requires almost no knowledge or skill.

Give the guy the benefit of the doubt...he did return them.

JB

gregory_huey

Mar 19, 2011, 3:38 AM
Post #12 of 13 (3034 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ianmeister89] Stolen Draws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

ianmeister89 wrote:

-Ian

Maybe he "found" some nicer draws Steve, and didn't want your's anymore? Smile

ianmeister89

Mar 19, 2011, 7:15 AM
Post #13 of 13 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gregory_huey] Stolen Draws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was climbing in the Metro Sector yesterday, and saw that somebody had left project draws up on Weapons of Mass Destruction ( I think). Those nice spirits with the Black dogbones on them. A shout out to the person who left them: Caution, there's a jerk with a stick-clip on the loose.

-Ian

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook