Forums: Rockclimbing.com: Suggestions & Feedback:
Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Misunderstood By Some Users?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

drivel

Feb 8, 2011, 7:48 PM
Post #1 of 32 (6743 views)
Shortcut

Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Misunderstood By Some Users?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

"shut the fuck up" is not an ad hominem attack. "why don't you shoot yourself in the face" is not an ad hominem attack. "you are so fucking wrong that I am out of witty things to say" is not an ad hominem attack."

"you are a drunk and a slut" is an ad hominem attack. "you are a child molester" is an ad hominem attack. "you are a liar and a psycho" is an ad hominem attack. "you are crazier than enigma" is an ad hominem attack.

ad hominem attack are directed towards the person's character and not their argument or assertion. telling someone that they're wrong, even if you use grown-up words, is not an ad hominem attack. plz make note of it.

Partner camhead

Feb 8, 2011, 8:40 PM
Post #2 of 32 (6718 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drivel] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Misunderstood By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Getting brained by a can of this is a bad hominy attack.

notapplicable

Feb 8, 2011, 8:42 PM
Post #3 of 32 (6715 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drivel] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Misunderstood By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

drivel wrote:
"shut the fuck up" is not an ad hominem attack. "why don't you shoot yourself in the face" is not an ad hominem attack. "you are so fucking wrong that I am out of witty things to say" is not an ad hominem attack."

"you are a drunk and a slut" is an ad hominem attack. "you are a child molester" is an ad hominem attack. "you are a liar and a psycho" is an ad hominem attack. "you are crazier than enigma" is an ad hominem attack.

ad hominem attack are directed towards the person's character and not their argument or assertion. telling someone that they're wrong, even if you use grown-up words, is not an ad hominem attack. plz make note of it.

I have been offended by this post.

I suggest a 10, no...make that a 12 day banz. Yes, that will do nicely.

justroberto

Feb 8, 2011, 9:14 PM
Post #4 of 32 (6695 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Misunderstood By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Please permabanz dribble for not making a suggestion and camhead for not making a funny.

That is my suggestion.

spikeddem

Feb 8, 2011, 9:16 PM
Post #5 of 32 (6686 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Misunderstood By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

justroberto wrote:
Please permabanz dribble for not making a suggestion and camhead for not making a funny.

That is my suggestion.
Drivel gave feedback.

That is my feedback.

justroberto

Feb 8, 2011, 9:17 PM
Post #6 of 32 (6685 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by justroberto [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  

meatbomz

Feb 8, 2011, 9:27 PM
Post #7 of 32 (6676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

drivel wrote:

Argumentum Ad Hominem is where you attempt to discredit the validity of another's position or assertion by attacking the person's characters or beliefs rather than the position or assertion itself.

Just insulting someone isn't an ad hominem. You have to attack them with the purpose of discrediting their position or statement.

Partner camhead

Feb 8, 2011, 9:28 PM
Post #8 of 32 (6673 views)
Shortcut

Re: [meatbomz] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Misunderstood By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

meatbomz wrote:
drivel wrote:

Argumentum Ad Hominem is where you attempt to discredit the validity of another's position or assertion by attacking the person's characters or beliefs rather than the position or assertion itself.

Just insulting someone isn't an ad hominem. You have to attack them with the purpose of discrediting their position or statement.

whatever. Bald people don't know what they're talking about.

drivel

Feb 8, 2011, 9:29 PM
Post #9 of 32 (6672 views)
Shortcut

Re: [meatbomz] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Misunderstood By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

meatbomz wrote:
drivel wrote:

you're crazier than enigma.

tripperjm

Feb 8, 2011, 9:33 PM
Post #10 of 32 (6666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

drivel wrote:
meatbomz wrote:
drivel wrote:

you're crazier than enigma.

Now yore just talking crazy talk... nobody is a biger nut case than enigma.

meatbomz

Feb 8, 2011, 9:35 PM
Post #11 of 32 (6661 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Misunderstood By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
meatbomz wrote:
drivel wrote:

whatever. Bald people don't know what they're talking about.

exactly

meatbomz

Feb 8, 2011, 9:45 PM
Post #12 of 32 (6649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

drivel wrote:
meatbomz wrote:
drivel wrote:

yore rong because you're crazier than enigma.

fix'd

airscape

Feb 9, 2011, 11:40 AM
Post #13 of 32 (6589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think people use the latins to make their posts seem credible.

If the thread title was "People should stop telling other people that they are cunts" it would not have provoked the scussion.

To be honest I thought an Ad hominem was something you break to turn a girl into a woman.

drivel

Feb 9, 2011, 1:31 PM
Post #14 of 32 (6573 views)
Shortcut

Re: [airscape] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Misunderstood By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

airscape wrote:

If the thread title was "People should stop telling other people that they are cunts" it would not have provoked the scussion.

while it's true that I sometimes wade in to browbeat people about what I perceive to be misogynistic insults, that's not what this thread was about. if I called you a blood fased cunt, that STILL wouldn't be an ad hominem attack.

if you had a vagina, and I said, shut up cunt, how could you possibly know your way around a force diagram? (because you're a woman, your rong) THEN it would be an ad hominem attack.

editing is weak, but in case it wasn't clear, I'm fine with cursing out people who are acting like fucking morons. I don't necessarily think that's undesirable forum behavior. and sometimes jt gets pretty intense, but I can only think of one occasion where I thought he was acting out of left field.

(This post was edited by drivel on Feb 9, 2011, 1:35 PM)

meatbomz

Feb 9, 2011, 3:20 PM
Post #15 of 32 (6548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

drivel wrote:
airscape wrote:

while it's true that I sometimes wade in to browbeat people about what I perceive to be misogynistic insults, that's not what this thread was about. if I called you a blood fased cunt, that STILL wouldn't be an ad hominem attack.

if you had a vagina, and I said, shut up cunt, how could you possibly know your way around a force diagram? (because you're a woman, your rong) THEN it would be an ad hominem attack.

editing is weak, but in case it wasn't clear, I'm fine with cursing out people who are acting like fucking morons. I don't necessarily think that's undesirable forum behavior. and sometimes jt gets pretty intense, but I can only think of one occasion where I thought he was acting out of left field.

More specifically, ad feminam. It's ok that you don't know this though - being a woman and all.

Partner camhead

Feb 9, 2011, 3:24 PM
Post #17 of 32 (6538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If ewe guys were more well red, you wood know their are a lot of BET jerks who use add homophone attacks, two.

drivel

Feb 9, 2011, 3:27 PM
Post #18 of 32 (6530 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Misunderstood By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
If ewe guys were more well red, you wood know their are a lot of BET jerks who use add homophone attacks, two.

it's a homophone!

airscape

Feb 9, 2011, 3:30 PM
Post #19 of 32 (6527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

drivel wrote:
camhead wrote:

it's a homophone!

A blackberry is a pain in the ass, so I classify that as a homophone.

drivel

Feb 9, 2011, 3:32 PM
Post #20 of 32 (6522 views)
Shortcut

Re: [airscape] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Misunderstood By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

airscape wrote:
drivel wrote:
camhead wrote:

it's a homophone!

now who's being a cunt?

Partner camhead

Feb 9, 2011, 3:34 PM
Post #21 of 32 (6517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

airscape wrote:

A blackberry is a pain in the ass...

well, DUH, Blackberries are a pain in the ass. They have thorns. You should stick with cucumbers or carrots if you're into that sort of thing.

airscape

Feb 9, 2011, 3:35 PM
Post #22 of 32 (6516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
airscape wrote:

A blackberry is a pain in the ass...

well, DUH, Blackberries are a pain in the ass. They have thorns. You should stick with cucumbers or carrots if you're into that sort of thing.

That just reminded me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAG39jKi0lI

spikeddem

Feb 9, 2011, 3:44 PM
Post #23 of 32 (6505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

airscape wrote:
drivel wrote:
camhead wrote:

it's a homophone!

gold.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook