Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jollydet

Feb 9, 2011, 5:49 AM
Post #1 of 38 (9648 views)
Shortcut

5.10 Suck
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

howdy all, purchased a few pairs of 5.10s a while back while in transit in the UK, heading home to Australia. upon inspecting them i noticed a few issues , a split on the rand of the anasazi verde which is minor,

on the VCS however there is a solid chip where the rand meets the sole, so these shoes already have one foot in the grave per-say, the chip is actually much deeper than appears in the photo,

http://img21.imageshack.us/g/dsc00283yo.jpg/

i have emailed 5.10 over 5 times over a period of 2-3 weeks to which they replied once stating they couldn't find my initial email, and since failed to reply period, having dealt with Evolv, Lasportiva and Mad Rock before, all who have great CS departments
5.10 customer service and quality control would have to be some of the worst of the worst.

given these shoes retail at over 255US over here I'm am glad i purchased them out of country as i would be even more disappointed if i had paid these prices.

in the future i will only buy climbing shoes from companys that pride themself it making a quality products and actually respond to customers emails!

(This post was edited by jollydet on Feb 9, 2011, 5:51 AM)

potreroed

Feb 9, 2011, 6:27 AM
Post #2 of 38 (9615 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jollydet] 5.10 Suck [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've used 5.10 products for many, many years and only once had a problem which they took care of immediately with no bullshit.

esander4

Feb 9, 2011, 7:20 AM
Post #3 of 38 (9595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jollydet wrote:
howdy all, purchased a few pairs of 5.10s a while back while in transit in the UK, heading home to Australia. upon inspecting them i noticed a few issues , a split on the rand of the anasazi verde which is minor,

on the VCS however there is a solid chip where the rand meets the sole, so these shoes already have one foot in the grave per-say, the chip is actually much deeper than appears in the photo,

i have emailed 5.10 over 5 times over a period of 2-3 weeks to which they replied once stating they couldn't find my initial email, and since failed to reply period, having dealt with Evolv, Lasportiva and Mad Rock before, all who have great CS departments
5.10 customer service and quality control would have to be some of the worst of the worst.

given these shoes retail at over 255US over here I'm am glad i purchased them out of country as i would be even more disappointed if i had paid these prices.

in the future i will only buy climbing shoes from companys that pride themself it making a quality products and actually respond to customers emails!

255 for a pair of 5.10s? Learn to look around better.

jollydet

Feb 9, 2011, 8:51 AM
Post #4 of 38 (9570 views)
Shortcut

Re: [esander4] 5.10 Suck [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

no thats the mark up on gear over here! we get screwed. cheapest you can find a pair of Anasazi VCS in Australia is 235AUD Online Price... for average prices on most climbing gear over here take US prices and double them, even triple sometimes.!

(This post was edited by jollydet on Feb 9, 2011, 8:52 AM)

lena_chita

Feb 9, 2011, 2:13 PM
Post #5 of 38 (9524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Who did you buy the shoes from? They might be able to help you.

I only had one pair of defective shoes in 6 years of wearinh 5.10s. Defect was in the leather on those shoes that were defective-- the leather was weak and the shoelaces wore out the loops after about 3 months.

I contacted 5.10, got a reply within couple days, and was told that since I purchased the shoes from Backcountry.com, i should deal with them for return/exchange.

Backcountry replaced the shoes with brand new ones, at no charge, even though I had no receipt, and only vague recollection of the date when I purchased the shoes. It was more than 6 months since the purchase date, and the shoes have been worn -- not just once or twice, but solidly at least 3-4 days of climbing per week, for about 3 months.

sknowlton

Feb 9, 2011, 4:54 PM
Post #6 of 38 (9465 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] 5.10 Suck [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:
I've used 5.10 products for many, many years and only once had a problem which they took care of immediately with no bullshit.

+1

Partner j_ung

Feb 9, 2011, 5:06 PM
Post #7 of 38 (9449 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] 5.10 Suck [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:

I've used them for many years, too, and never had a problem. Except with approach shoes. And my last pair was built just fine.

Jooler

Feb 9, 2011, 5:10 PM
Post #8 of 38 (9439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jollydet wrote:

Perhaps you should have inspected the shoes before paying for them. Clearly you didn't buy them online as you said you bought them while traveling the UK. I think you're just upset that you caught this error after you were home, and not when you should have been inspecting them.

Also, judging by the picture of a luxurious indoor pool with beautiful white marble (k, maybe not marble...) pillars around a table covered in a white table cloth....I surely don't think money is an issure for you.

kiwiprincess

Feb 9, 2011, 7:33 PM
Post #9 of 38 (9352 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jooler] 5.10 Suck [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

couriering them half the world away and back is sure going to suck up those "savings". They cost more since they go through a distributor, but then that distributor covers things like returns locally and promptly

rsmillbern

Feb 9, 2011, 7:40 PM
Post #10 of 38 (9341 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
.... having dealt with Evolv, Lasportiva and Mad Rock before, all who have great CS departments ...

Get a lot of defective shoes doe we???

Adk

Feb 9, 2011, 9:02 PM
Post #11 of 38 (9278 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rsmillbern] 5.10 Suck [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rsmillbern wrote:
In reply to:
.... having dealt with Evolv, Lasportiva and Mad Rock before, all who have great CS departments ...

Interesting....

Ya see, I paid a billion dollars for these sneakers and I have jumped through fire, run across nails and even hit them with a blast of liquid nitrogen. How come they leak, are melted slightly and have a missing toe rand. Come on!!! It must be a defective product.

In all honesty, not every company has great customer service every day. Sometimes it takes some patients.

kaizer27

Feb 9, 2011, 9:21 PM
Post #12 of 38 (9262 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adk] 5.10 Suck [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I ordered a pair of 5.10s and they arrived today, they sent me the shoe and size I ordered but as it happens I ordered them a too tight.

I took one phone call and I had and address and RA# to send back with them and they are going to send me a different size.

Not saying they didn't screw the pooch with you but this is my first order and they have been beyond helpful.

ENARE

Feb 9, 2011, 9:51 PM
Post #13 of 38 (9242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

e-mail is probably the worst way to get into contact with a customer service department. I googled this for you:
http://fiveten.com/contact-us

Call them and tell them what is going on. Otherwise, contact the company where you purchased the shoes from and ask them to help you out. If it went through a Distributor, they will be the ones who should help you at first and then 5.10 if they are not doing anything to help you.

Otherwise, you can pay 50 bucks for the pair and send them to the Rubber room/ one of the rubber repair places nearby. http://www.rubberroomresoles.com/index.htm

5.10 makes a great shoes and they stand behind it, they will hep you out.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results..." - That one smart guy

milesenoell

Feb 9, 2011, 10:17 PM
Post #14 of 38 (9217 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jollydet wrote:

You are dealing with real people, and real people are not 100% consistent, but the average is actually pretty damn good.

I have told my story of resole woe on these forums, in which they lost my shoes, told me they hadn't received them, and then finally did a pathetically botched job on my resole that lasted less than a day on the rock. In the end however they put things right and are now trying to win back my confidence with offers of discounted and free service. (and they did a great job when I sent the shoes back)

Unless you are alienating the hell out of these folks (hint, hint) I have a feeling they will do what they can to make it right. Calls are a way better way than e-mails to find out.

(This post was edited by milesenoell on Feb 9, 2011, 10:20 PM)

wallwombat

Feb 9, 2011, 10:37 PM
Post #15 of 38 (9198 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ENARE] 5.10 Suck [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ENARE wrote:
Otherwise, you can pay 50 bucks for the pair and send them to the Rubber room/ one of the rubber repair places nearby. http://www.rubberroomresoles.com/index.htm

The OP lives in Australia, so I doubt The Rubber Room will be much help but, if 5.10 can't help, your advice is pretty good.

Either Big John at Big John's Retreads or Dr Phil at the Arapiles Mountain Shop can work wonders with rubber and both charge less than $20 for rand repair.

gmggg

Feb 9, 2011, 10:44 PM
Post #16 of 38 (9195 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adk] 5.10 Suck [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Adk wrote:
rsmillbern wrote:
In reply to:

Interesting....

Ya see, I paid a billion dollars for these sneakers and I have jumped through fire, run across nails and even hit them with a blast of liquid nitrogen. How come they leak, are melted slightly and have a missing toe rand. Come on!!! It must be a defective product.

In all honesty, not every company has great customer service every day. Sometimes it takes some patients.

Come now. There's no need to shoot the place up!

ENARE

Feb 9, 2011, 10:49 PM
Post #17 of 38 (9192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wallwombat] 5.10 Suck [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The OP lives in Australia, so I doubt The Rubber Room will be much help but, if 5.10 can't help, your advice is pretty good.

Thank you for pointing that out. As I wrote down the information I realized that I should have probably looked at where he lived but just figured I could let it slip.

Good Luck man getting that repaired. it would be pretty bad if they were not willing to work with you. My wifes friends family owns 5.10 and they seem like a pretty good group. Only met them once at a wedding but they should be able to work with you.

mikebee

Feb 9, 2011, 11:24 PM
Post #18 of 38 (9170 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ENARE] 5.10 Suck [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I think you're a bit back to front here.

You bought some shoes from overseas, and when you got home found they were faulty. Then you go on to say that this makes you glad they were purchased cheaper overseas because it means you wasted less money.

Hows this for an idea: support a local shop. Buy them in Australia, that way, when you take the shoes home and find they aren't in mint condition it becomes the shops responsibility to fix that problem. That is actually why shops cost more, because they offer customer service!

Its unfortunate what happened, most unusual for 5.10, but serves you right for being a tight arse.

wallwombat

Feb 9, 2011, 11:46 PM
Post #19 of 38 (9148 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mikebee] 5.10 Suck [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mikebee wrote:

You bought some shoes from overseas, and when you got home found they were faulty. Then you go on to say that this makes you glad they were purchased cheaper overseas because it means you wasted less money.

Hows this for an idea: support a local shop. Buy them in Australia, that way, when you take the shoes home and find they aren't in mint condition it becomes the shops responsibility to fix that problem. That is actually why shops cost more, because they offer customer service!

Its unfortunate what happened, most unusual for 5.10, but serves you right for being a tight arse.

Mate, the Australian $ is slightly higher than the US $ at the moment but you still recommend we pay $100 more for shoes and buy them here in Australia. Yeah, right!

Your post would have held a lot more weight for me if you had mentioned that you work in an a gear shop in Australia. When was the last time you payed full retail price for a pair of shoes?

I reckon you should be transparent and acknowledge your self-interest in this argument before you go calling people tight arses.

Personally, if I can get the same pair of shoes for $130 instead of $250, I'm going to do it. The aussie dollar isn't always going to be as strong as it is at the moment and I noticed that when the dollar did spike, not too many local retailers passed on the savings to customers.

Who exactly are the tight arses?

Jooler

Feb 10, 2011, 12:03 AM
Post #20 of 38 (9130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wallwombat wrote:
mikebee wrote:

Mate, the Australian $ is slightly higher than the US $ at the moment but you still recommend we pay $100 more for shoes and buy them here in Australia. Yeah, right!

Your post would have held a lot more weight for me if you had mentioned that you work in an a gear shop in Australia. When was the last time you payed full retail price for a pair of shoes?

I reckon you should be transparent and acknowledge your self-interest in this argument before you go calling people tight arses.

Personally, if I can get the same pair of shoes for $130 instead of $250, I'm going to do it. The aussie dollar isn't always going to be as strong as it is at the moment and I noticed that when the dollar did spike, not too many local retailers passed on the savings to customers.

Who exactly are the tight arses?

"The decision raises the wage rate paid to the country's lowest paid workers to A$15 an hour"

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704025304575283933964515188.html

$15 bucks an hour minimum wage in Australia.

Compared to:

"In the nine years since British Columbia last had an increase in its minimum wage, the rate of $8-an-hour" (not in this article is a $6 an hour training wage for first 500 hours...)

http://communities.canada.com/vancouversun/blogs/taxingissues/archive/2010/07/01/b-c-minimum-wage-lags-too-far-behind.aspx

So, Australia's minimum wage is almost double British Columbia's....therefore being double the price for shoes seems legit. Sure comparing minimum wage has nothing to do with how they price shoes, but just saying that for the minimum wagers here in BC, its just as hard to get shoes at MSRP.

Thank goodness for pro deals ;)

(This post was edited by Jooler on Feb 10, 2011, 12:05 AM)

mikebee

Feb 10, 2011, 2:12 AM
Post #21 of 38 (9075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't work at a gear shop any more, but I still believe that the local industry needs some support.
The pricing structure over here isn't ideal, but it's noones fault per se. If we had 50 million people, we'd be a big enough market for 5.10, Black Diamond etc to come in and import direct. As it is, we pay more because 1) higher import duties 2) there's an importer in the supply chain becuase it's not worth the manufacturer coming in direct. It seems short sighted to deliberately not buy from local shops, the price premium is the cost of lving in Australia vs living in Europe or the US.

The Aussie retail prices don't exactly mimic the exchange rate changes because the wholesale prices that the stores buy at are fixed months in advance. That said, both 5.10 and La Sportiva have had price decreases in the last few months.

My main point in my previous post, and my biggest beef with the OP was that he's taken an option to "get a bargain", and then he comes on here and tries to bag out the manufacturer for something that is a very isolated incident. If he'd bought in Australia, it would be a simple call to Spelean who would very quickly get the issues sorted.

When I did work at a gear shop, we had quite a few people come in an try to exchange faulty or incorrectly sized stuff they'd bought overseas, or ask us to pursue the warranty for them. Naturally, they were told a resounding no. The reason that stuff is cheaper is that the purchaser runs an increased risk. If the product shits itself, they're on their own. If they's spent more originally, they'd have the protection of a local warranty.

wallwombat

Feb 10, 2011, 3:04 AM
Post #22 of 38 (9053 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mikebee] 5.10 Suck [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mike, I can't really argue with your last post, except in regards to the cost of living in Australia vs US and Europe. I think you're making a sweeping generalization there. Live in Sydney for a few years and tell me the same thing - it is one of the most expensive cities in the world to live in.

It seems that the OP bought these from a shop rather than online, so why didn't he notice the defects?

I generally buy locally unless I can't get what I want locally or the difference in price is huge. This is often the case - 5.10 make 36 different models of climbing shoe but only a handful reach our shores. Try to buy a pair of 5.10 Arrowheads or Hornets in Australia. I bet you cant.

My advice to the OP is, send them to Big John or Dr Phil and get em fixed for $20 or less. You will still get out of it cheaply.

And Mike, sorry if I sounded a bit harsh. No offence intended.

mikebee

Feb 10, 2011, 3:16 AM
Post #23 of 38 (9045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WW, all good. I wasn't offended, and I'm sure my point of view has been affected by working in a gear shop for a few years, and being on the other side of people shopping online (or worse, people getting the spiel, info and sizing from us for an hour or so, and then going online).

I wasn't suggesting that our cost of living is better than the US or Europe, just saying that living in Australia, a place that has such a low population density has its benefits (less crowding), but has its downsides, narrower range and higher costs of imports.

You have a valid point about purchasing some models of shoe on the internet as they simply aren't available in Australia. Spelean with 5.10 is a particularly good example of this. The whole 5.10 range is offered to stores for forward order, but Spelean only carry stock of a few key models (Anasazi, Coyote, Siren, etc). The new ones like Team and Jet7 aren't widely offered yet. Of course, until Spelean see better sales of them, they won't stock them. But until they stock them, they won't see many retailers forward ordering them, so they won't be able to see better sales of them.

I too wonder how the OP didn't notice flaws on the shoes he (presumably) tried on in the store.

jbro_135

Feb 10, 2011, 3:20 AM
Post #24 of 38 (9044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wallwombat wrote:
Mike, I can't really argue with your last post, except in regards to the cost of living in Australia vs US and Europe. I think you're making a sweeping generalization there. Live in Sydney for a few years and tell me the same thing - it is one of the most expensive cities in the world to live in.

It seems that the OP bought these from a shop rather than online, so why didn't he notice the defects?

I generally buy locally unless I can't get what I want locally or the difference in price is huge. This is often the case - 5.10 make 36 different models of climbing shoe but only a handful reach our shores. Try to buy a pair of 5.10 Arrowheads or Hornets in Australia. I bet you cant.

My advice to the OP is, send them to Big John or Dr Phil and get em fixed for $20 or less. You will still get out of it cheaply.

And Mike, sorry if I sounded a bit harsh. No offence intended.

are the arrowheads and hornets even out yet? i don't think they're available here in canada yet either so that's kind of a moot point...

rhythm164

Feb 10, 2011, 3:39 AM
Post #25 of 38 (9031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How long did you work at 5.10 and why did they fire you?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook