Traps and trapping- HEADS UP
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

roninthorne

Feb 11, 2011, 9:20 PM
Post #1 of 56 (28637 views)
Shortcut

Traps and trapping- HEADS UP  (North_America: United_States: West_Virginia)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just back from a hike in the Monongahela NF near Seneca Rocks, where we found about 50 lbs of meat scraps and a leg-hold trap wired to a tree and set right in the middle of a trail along the river. This set-up was about half a mile down a gated road... had I not seen the barely-visible trap under the leaves, I would now very likely be awaiting rescue in hypothermia conditions with a tib-fib fracture.

(yes, this is the point where many of you should and will smack the desk and say "Damn it... too bad he saw that trap!")

It is currently racoon trapping season in West by God, and the locals are desperate for any kind of entertainment and potential income now that the Super Bowl has passed and spring gobbler season is still months away. Trapping is legal, but ANY exposed bait is a no-no. So...

Keep your eyes open if traveling on less-used paths in coon country (along rivers and creeks)- a leg hold trap is capable of breaking the leg of the average hiker unless you are wearing very sturdy high-top boots. To report open baiting, call the Dept of Natural Resources at (304) 558-2754.

Be careful out there... climbing is risky enough!

sp115

Feb 11, 2011, 10:34 PM
Post #2 of 56 (28595 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roninthorne] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

roninthorne wrote:
Just back from a hike in the Monongahela NF near Seneca Rocks, where we found about 50 lbs of meat scraps and a leg-hold trap wired to a tree and set right in the middle of a trail along the river. This set-up was about half a mile down a gated road... had I not seen the barely-visible trap under the leaves, I would now very likely be awaiting rescue in hypothermia conditions with a tib-fib fracture.

(yes, this is the point where many of you should and will smack the desk and say "Damn it... too bad he saw that trap!")

It is currently racoon trapping season in West by God, and the locals are desperate for any kind of entertainment and potential income now that the Super Bowl has passed and spring gobbler season is still months away. Trapping is legal, but ANY exposed bait is a no-no. So...

Keep your eyes open if traveling on less-used paths in coon country (along rivers and creeks)- a leg hold trap is capable of breaking the leg of the average hiker unless you are wearing very sturdy high-top boots. To report open baiting, call the Dept of Natural Resources at (304) 558-2754.

Nice try, but wrong on too many counts to be anything but a troll.

csproul

Feb 11, 2011, 10:55 PM
Post #3 of 56 (28584 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp115] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sp115 wrote:
roninthorne wrote:

WTF are you talking about?

sp115

Feb 11, 2011, 11:10 PM
Post #4 of 56 (28572 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
sp115 wrote:
roninthorne wrote:

"...had I not seen the barely-visible trap under the leaves, I would now very likely be awaiting rescue in hypothermia conditions with a tib-fib fracture."

" ...a leg hold trap is capable of breaking the leg of the average hiker unless you are wearing very sturdy high-top boots.

Both of these statements are completely false. I trapped as a kid in Maine (please spare me the you're-going-to-hell speech) and demonstrated on many occasions that a leg-hold trap wont even break the skin let alone break a bone by releasing a set trap on my hand.

(This post was edited by sp115 on Feb 11, 2011, 11:12 PM)

csproul

Feb 12, 2011, 12:44 AM
Post #5 of 56 (28534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sp115 wrote:
csproul wrote:
sp115 wrote:
roninthorne wrote:

"...had I not seen the barely-visible trap under the leaves, I would now very likely be awaiting rescue in hypothermia conditions with a tib-fib fracture."

" ...a leg hold trap is capable of breaking the leg of the average hiker unless you are wearing very sturdy high-top boots.

Both of these statements are completely false. I trapped as a kid in Maine (please spare me the you're-going-to-hell speech) and demonstrated on many occasions that a leg-hold trap wont even break the skin let alone break a bone by releasing a set trap on my hand.
See now, that wasn't so hard, was it? Now the rest of us that don't know the first thing about trapping know what you are talking about!

sp115

Feb 12, 2011, 1:22 AM
Post #6 of 56 (28523 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
See now, that wasn't so hard, was it? Now the rest of us that don't know the first thing about trapping know what you are talking about!

OK, I guess it wasn't...

Reluctantly giving the OP the benefit of the doubt for a second - one phone call to a warden about a trap being set in a national forest, illegally baited, and on trail that sees public foot travel would get that trap yanked in a minute.

Also traps are required by law to have a tag attached with the name and address of the person it belongs to. Which would of course provide another more efficient method solving the "problem".

sbaclimber

Feb 12, 2011, 6:18 AM
Post #7 of 56 (28468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sp115 wrote:
csproul wrote:

OK, I guess it wasn't...

Reluctantly giving the OP the benefit of the doubt for a second - one phone call to a warden about a trap being set in a national forest, illegally baited, and on trail that sees public foot travel would get that trap yanked in a minute.

Also traps are required by law to have a tag attached with the name and address of the person it belongs to. Which would of course provide another more efficient method solving the "problem".
I still can't get over 50lbs of meat......for a racoon!
I mean, yeah, they can eat a lot, but 50lbs.....
You are right, nothing in that story rings even remotely true, except it is in fact still 'coon season there ('til the 28th).

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Feb 12, 2011, 6:19 AM)

rockforlife

Feb 12, 2011, 7:16 AM
Post #8 of 56 (28453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roninthorne wrote:

Ba ha ha ha ha ha ha ha .....LOL

Do you really think that trap would break your leg?? or let a lone fit that far up your leg??

p.s. I would guess that people have been trapping there long before you started hiking there. And do you know how much meat 50 Lbs. is? A LOT.

(This post was edited by rockforlife on Feb 12, 2011, 7:16 AM)

Lbrombach

Feb 12, 2011, 1:47 PM
Post #9 of 56 (28416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't racoons have way smaller feet than humans? I know I'm a city boy and not privvy to all things woodland, but...

And yeah, 50 lbs...isn't that about an 8 year old?

kachoong

Feb 12, 2011, 2:18 PM
Post #10 of 56 (28407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sp115 wrote:
csproul wrote:

OK, I guess it wasn't...

Well, that just screams of revenge for those literate mammals out there. I'd hate to receive death threats in the mail from some psycho maimed racoon.

roninthorne

Feb 12, 2011, 2:54 PM
Post #11 of 56 (28387 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockforlife] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

rockforlife wrote:

Do you really think that trap would break your leg?? or let a lone fit that far up your leg??

p.s. I would guess that people have been trapping there long before you started hiking there. And do you know how much meat 50 Lbs. is? A LOT.

rockforlife- you're an idiot, 'k?

When I released the trap, it put one hell of a dent in the metal trekking pole I was using. And since the trap measured about 16-18 inches when open, YES, it would have come to just above the top of a boot, so YES, it would have fit over my leg.

People were also clearcutting forest, hunting local animals into extinction (elk, eastern red wolf, etc, etc, etc), and breeding with their kin long before I started hiking here... do you support all of those practices, as well?

Wait... you're a PRODUCT of at least one of those... nevermind...

sp115- given the facts above, I'd love to be able to have you voluntarily put your hand in this and show us how it woudn't break the skin... because even if it didn't, it would CERTAINLY have broken a bone.

I don't troll, kiddies... never have, never will. I have something called a "Life"... go look it up if they have anything called "books" in the cave where you live...

And yes, children, I do know how much 50 lbs of meat is- you see, I grew up in the country, too... hunting, fishing, TRAPPING, and all those other good old American pass-times. So if you want to question my credentials, just start out by having a tall, cold glass of STFU and go sit over there at the little people's table... the adults are trying to talk right now.

The guy who set this trap was NOT justy trying for coons... he was obviously angling for the bobcats and (possibly, according to the DNR) mountain lion which inhabit this region. Poachers often use legit trapping seasons to place non-legit traps for creatures which are NOT in season.... like the deer they shot to bait the second trap that the guys from DNR found about a dozen yards away.

But PLEASE, by all means, disregard this post and the advice it contains. Please feel free to let your "best crag dogs" roam at will... I couldn't think of anything more fitting than you carrying them, your partner, or dragging your own sorry asses up out of a steep river gorge while trying to formulate excuses about how you were still right and I was still a troll...

Cheers... and go f*ck yourselves, 'k?

kachoong

Feb 12, 2011, 3:08 PM
Post #12 of 56 (28382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roninthorne wrote:
The guy who set this trap was NOT justy trying for coons... he was obviously angling for the bobcats and (possibly, according to the DNR) mountain lion which inhabit this region.

Are you sure? Afterall it is WV.

Partner j_ung

Feb 12, 2011, 3:56 PM
Post #13 of 56 (28350 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, M! 'Preciate the warning!

sp115

Feb 12, 2011, 4:32 PM
Post #14 of 56 (28339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roninthorne wrote:
...When I released the trap, it put one hell of a dent in the metal trekking pole I was using. And since the trap measured about 16-18 inches when open, YES, it would have come to just above the top of a boot, so YES, it would have fit over my leg.

People were also clearcutting forest, hunting local animals into extinction (elk, eastern red wolf, etc, etc, etc), and breeding with their kin long before I started hiking here... do you support all of those practices, as well?

sp115- given the facts above, I'd love to be able to have you voluntarily put your hand in this and show us how it woudn't break the skin... because even if it didn't, it would CERTAINLY have broken a bone.

I don't troll, kiddies... never have, never will. I have something called a "Life"... go look it up if they have anything called "books" in the cave where you live...

And yes, children, I do know how much 50 lbs of meat is- you see, I grew up in the country, too... hunting, fishing, TRAPPING, and all those other good old American pass-times. So if you want to question my credentials, just start out by having a tall, cold glass of STFU and go sit over there at the little people's table... the adults are trying to talk right now.

The guy who set this trap was NOT justy trying for coons... he was obviously angling for the bobcats and (possibly, according to the DNR) mountain lion which inhabit this region. Poachers often use legit trapping seasons to place non-legit traps for creatures which are NOT in season.... like the deer they shot to bait the second trap that the guys from DNR found about a dozen yards away.

But PLEASE, by all means, disregard this post and the advice it contains. Please feel free to let your "best crag dogs" roam at will... I couldn't think of anything more fitting than you carrying them, your partner, or dragging your own sorry asses up out of a steep river gorge while trying to formulate excuses about how you were still right and I was still a troll...

Heh heh, listen Grizzly Adams, you brought this shit storm on yourself. And despite the graphic description of your mutilated trekking pole (I might have used a stick to release the trap...), you're not going to convince anyone who has actually set a trap that you know a damn thing, i.e. you stumbled across a steel leg hold trap that had a 16"-18" open jaw spread (I being kind by assuming you know how to measure a trap) and then post that it was set for raccoon? That would be bigger than any BEAR trap I've ever seen. And shooting a deer and leaving it as bait? Have you really ever stepped off a groomed trail?

So sorry, you've clearly let your abiding love of all-things-furry confuse you into thinking you can post shit and not get called on it. But you keep right on going, I'm enjoying this.*

* no animals were harmed in the typing of this post, though one misguided soul's ego may have been bruised slightly.

dan2see

Feb 12, 2011, 4:56 PM
Post #15 of 56 (28331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

roninthorne wrote:
... rockforlife- you're an idiot, 'k? ...
Personal insult. Describes the writer, not what he wrote.

roninthorne wrote:

Ad hominum
-- I learned that word just yesterday. In the Wikipedia article, the first meaning is called "Abuse".

roninthorne wrote:
Similar to Have a nice day which projects Passive-Resistant Behaviour. Look it up.
Plus you've chosen to include a thinly-disquised obsenity, used for emphasis, but you can't think of words of your own.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Feb 12, 2011, 5:17 PM
Post #16 of 56 (28318 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

See, people can learn something, I used to think ad hominim was latin for Rockclimbing dot com.

dan2see

Feb 12, 2011, 5:54 PM
Post #17 of 56 (28303 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, Toast. I'm glad you didn't write about "old dog, new tricks", because fortunately I don't know any old dogs.

This Ronin guy is quite a story-teller, but maybe Michael could use a tip or two?

The area where I hike, climb, and camp, is used for hunting big game, like white-tail deer and big-horn sheep. That's not all: this is grizzly country, and we have lots of cougars, too. No trapping, though.

I don't like all of these big dangerous hazards, but they come with the territory. So I must learn to manage the hazards. I take the usual precautions: I announce my presence, I watch for signs, I wear red, and carry bear-spray and a SPOT. Then, I plan my route to stay out of their way as much as possible.

When I see signs of any of those big hazards, I tell my friends what I saw. My goal is to remind them, and I don't need to make a big story.

So I think the value of your topic and OP is the same: remind folks that hunters and trappers are using the area, and be done. Your story was entertaining (I enjoyed reading it) but you see the reaction of the other RC.COM anti-trolls?

And now I invent a new Internet word: "ogre", meaning an ugly local denizen; he talks mean, and would love to mangle your your private parts, to decorate his own post. His favorite prey is a troll, or even somebody who looks like one.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Feb 12, 2011, 7:02 PM
Post #18 of 56 (28268 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
And now I invent a new Internet word: "ogre", meaning an ugly local denizen; he talks mean, and would love to mangle your your private parts, to decorate his own post. His favorite prey is a troll, or even somebody who looks like one.

I like, and while we are in the red neck of the woods, a man sticking his fist in a bear trap:

http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=related

sbaclimber

Feb 12, 2011, 7:58 PM
Post #19 of 56 (28250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roninthorne wrote:
The guy who set this trap was NOT justy trying for coons... he was obviously angling for the bobcats and (possibly, according to the DNR) mountain lion which inhabit this region.
You are digging yourself deeper...
Even for said game, no one in their right mind would set a trap with a "16-18" jaw diameter...
For the sake of argument....let's assume the amount of bait was what you said it was (50lbs), and it was "nailed to a tree", and the trap was as big as it was...and not well hidden.........then the only conclusion I can come to is, that you have an idiotic psychopath running around your woods setting traps for the hell of it, and in hopes of catching humans/bigfoot/godknowswhat.Crazy

edit ........of course, as kachoong said "Afterall it is WV."....Pirate

PS, I don't doubt you found a trap in the woods. It's just the rest of your story that seems a bit exaggerated.....or you really do have a psycho running around.

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Feb 12, 2011, 8:33 PM)

dynosore

Feb 12, 2011, 8:40 PM
Post #20 of 56 (28229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you think an 18" trap is for coons you know nothing about trapping. Their is no legal trapping in the continental US that you would ever set a trap nearly that large for. If it really was that big (doubtful) you betcha it would break your leg. Regardless, setting a trap in the middle of a trail is totally irresponsible. Sounds like they're after a swamp ape lol

Partner j_ung

Feb 12, 2011, 10:05 PM
Post #21 of 56 (28199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

A guy posts to warn people of traps on trails, and all they can do is argue that the trap, which they have not seen, can't possibly be dangerous? This is not Maine. This is West Virginia. It's a third-world country. What's more, roninthorne's been around this weird block far longer than I have, and certainly far longer than the rest of you. He's no tree hugger and he's no idiot. If he says he saw a dangerous trap on a trail, then he saw a dangerous trap on a trail. End of story.

sbaclimber

Feb 12, 2011, 11:25 PM
Post #22 of 56 (28174 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You may well be correct (WV after all....), in which case, a slightly different method of presenting the "facts" might be helpful in garnering belief in one's story...
Considering we may be making speculations regarding what is otherwise known as a bear-trap, mentioning racoons (or any of the other animals that are currently "in season" for that matter) simply makes the story sound, shall we say, less than believable.
As my sig says....it is RC.com and trolls are common Tongue

edit to add: in plain text, anyone putting out that amount of bait and that sort of trap is already breaking the law in multiple ways and obviously not interesting in any sort of legal trapping activities. Ergo, any currently legal season or mention thereof is completely irrelevant and (as this discussion has shown) counter productive.

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Feb 12, 2011, 11:32 PM)

Partner j_ung

Feb 13, 2011, 12:06 AM
Post #23 of 56 (28155 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Granted it wasn't the first post, but he did also say:

In reply to:

rockforlife

Feb 13, 2011, 1:32 AM
Post #24 of 56 (28126 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roninthorne wrote:
rockforlife wrote:

rockforlife- you're an idiot, 'k?

When I released the trap, it put one hell of a dent in the metal trekking pole I was using. And since the trap measured about 16-18 inches when open, YES, it would have come to just above the top of a boot, so YES, it would have fit over my leg.

How about this, you go on line( i would guess the trap has been moved) and find me a pic of the same kind and size of trap. I would like to see what you come up with.

sp115

Feb 13, 2011, 5:43 AM
Post #25 of 56 (28085 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
A guy posts to warn people of traps on trails, and all they can do is argue that the trap, which they have not seen, can't possibly be dangerous? This is not Maine. This is West Virginia. It's a third-world country. What's more, roninthorne's been around this weird block far longer than I have, and certainly far longer than the rest of you. He's no tree hugger and he's no idiot. If he says he saw a dangerous trap on a trail, then he saw a dangerous trap on a trail. End of story.

I never called anyone an idiot, but the OP did because I called him on a story filled with hyperbole. He doesn't get a free pass because he has a problem with the fur-for-fashion crowd, hell no one around here with a conscience would argue with him on that.

Had he manned-up in his second post, and said "OK, so I exaggerated a bit, but watch out I almost got my toe caught", no one would have piled on.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook