RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

esqueleto

Jan 25, 2011, 5:09 AM
Post #1 of 15 (8890 views)
Shortcut

new night photograph
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Took this last week, what do you guys think? Also styled my website. http://www.checote.com/.../h2299767c#h2299767c

aprice00

Jan 25, 2011, 5:36 AM
Post #2 of 15 (8881 views)
Shortcut

Re: [esqueleto] new night photograph [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Awsome pic but you should totally shop out the dude in the back.
*When I saw the Chick* Wow
*When I saw the dude* AWW

esqueleto

Jan 25, 2011, 3:43 PM
Post #3 of 15 (8835 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aprice00] new night photograph [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You're talking about the dude in the trees right? Thought about it, just really hate doing that much work, but will come up with something. I shoulda been wearing all black...

sp115

Jan 25, 2011, 4:13 PM
Post #4 of 15 (8823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

esqueleto wrote:
Took this last week, what do you guys think? Also styled my website. http://www.checote.com/.../h2299767c#h2299767c

No disrespect intended, but since you asked...are the titles really necessary? My point being, that there is no need to lead me by the nose, if the image is good, it will tell me all I need to know.

kazanthink

Jan 25, 2011, 10:38 PM
Post #5 of 15 (8771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

great pics like them a lot!

esqueleto

Jan 31, 2011, 7:33 AM
Post #6 of 15 (8677 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kazanthink] new night photograph [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks! I just put up a new one to the night gallery, reshot an abandoned pump house. Trying to get back to one new one a week and see if I can manage.

@ SP-Yes, the titles are necessary, especially when you sell them and people ask for a specific image. Otherwise, it becomes impossible to do custom prints if someone can't look at a gallery and pick out the exact photograph they want, which has been the case lately. Plus, the titles help in the keywording and SEO of the images, my website, and me. So from so many different avenues, titles, keywords, and descriptions of photos are important.

sp115

Jan 31, 2011, 12:48 PM
Post #7 of 15 (8653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

esqueleto wrote:
@ SP-Yes, the titles are necessary, especially when you sell them and people ask for a specific image. Otherwise, it becomes impossible to do custom prints if someone can't look at a gallery and pick out the exact photograph they want, which has been the case lately. Plus, the titles help in the keywording and SEO of the images, my website, and me. So from so many different avenues, titles, keywords, and descriptions of photos are important.

Just to be clear, my comment was in regards to an aesthetic concern, not a technical identification issue.
Many viewers will have an aversion to being "told" by a title what they are supposed to see and feel in an image. It changes the experience of viewing the image in a subtle yet important way: it removes the process of discovery and reaction and replaces it with a moment of propaganda.

Apologies for the art-speak thread drift.

esqueleto

Feb 1, 2011, 1:05 AM
Post #8 of 15 (8600 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp115] new night photograph [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No worries, good conversations are hard to come by. While some titles can be blunt and take away the discovery, I think that most titles don't have that much influence, especially if they are simple. While not all of my titles are that way, or all of my images even titled, it isn't the main part of the photograph and will one day disappear probably before the image does.

I've always believed that art should convey an emotion and the success of that art is how the emotion is revealed and how many people relate to it. Obviously not everyone is going to feel the same way, but looking at the majority is important. If the majority doesn't understand what I'm showing them then I feel like I have failed and should reshoot. If a single person doesn't understand then maybe they never will and there isn't anything I can do about that. My goal is never to say I know more than you or anyone else, but to connect with you and evoke a memory or dream that you've had or want to have.

enigma

Feb 8, 2011, 5:01 AM
Post #9 of 15 (8420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

esqueleto wrote:
No worries, good conversations are hard to come by. While some titles can be blunt and take away the discovery, I think that most titles don't have that much influence, especially if they are simple. While not all of my titles are that way, or all of my images even titled, it isn't the main part of the photograph and will one day disappear probably before the image does.

I've always believed that art should convey an emotion and the success of that art is how the emotion is revealed and how many people relate to it. Obviously not everyone is going to feel the same way, but looking at the majority is important. If the majority doesn't understand what I'm showing them then I feel like I have failed and should reshoot. If a single person doesn't understand then maybe they never will and there isn't anything I can do about that. My goal is never to say I know more than you or anyone else, but to connect with you and evoke a memory or dream that you've had or want to have.

I think you should take your portfolio and go to the climbing magazines. Its worth a try you never know. By the way I've been told they are particularly fond of twilight photos that time around dusk. by a photographer friend of mine.

esqueleto

Feb 11, 2011, 6:03 AM
Post #10 of 15 (8335 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] new night photograph [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks E, I'll try it out and let you know how it goes.

Minirova

Feb 14, 2011, 8:59 PM
Post #11 of 15 (8236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Esqueloto, i'm very impressed by your shots. I really hope I can shoot photos like these eventually. I love how HUGE the environment is compared to how small we are. You're very good at showing the perspective of the area.

esqueleto

Feb 19, 2011, 4:48 AM
Post #12 of 15 (8149 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Minirova] new night photograph [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Minirova! Just put up a new one that plays around with some perspective, check it out http://www.checote.com/news

If you want to get updates send me an e-mail through my website and I'll add you to the list when I post up new photos.

shellc0de

Dec 3, 2011, 8:18 AM
Post #13 of 15 (6908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You've got some sick wide angle shots, what are you using a 17-40 L?

esqueleto

Dec 3, 2011, 7:57 PM
Post #14 of 15 (6875 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shellc0de] new night photograph [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No I wish. I currently have a Tamron 17-35mm 2.8 thats beat to shit but has held up well over the years. I shoot with that lens every day in Alaska and have done so for 5+ years with no problems. Great affordable lens.

shellc0de

Dec 4, 2011, 7:10 PM
Post #15 of 15 (6813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll have to buy one of those, I have everything from 28-200mm but nothing wider.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook