Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
Weight Loss for Climbing Ladies
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

 


enigma


Feb 21, 2011, 8:12 PM
Post #1 of 23 (13151 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Weight Loss for Climbing Ladies
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

As we all know there's a strength to weight ratio, so if you are lighter and stronger & other variables are equal you should be able to climb harder.

So now the reality of losing weight, exercise and diet and of course genetics, and other mitigating factors are involved.
Personally even 10 pounds loss would help climbers, so how do ladies lose the weight?

Counting calories, and exercise seem to be in the forefront as usual. However now there's all this low carb talk too. I'm mostly vegetarian, but eat fish and eggs, Now theres a link with soy and breast cancer.
I spoke to a friend who's trying to lose weight to be able to climb and her personal fitness trainer said not to eat any carbs after 5 pm. It sounded very tough, and of course it probably won't pan out.
So ladies what has been you're best weight loss secret for losing those 10 pounds to get down to better strength weight ratio? thanks


(This post was edited by enigma on Feb 21, 2011, 8:16 PM)


Partner happiegrrrl


Feb 21, 2011, 8:20 PM
Post #2 of 23 (13128 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 25, 2004
Posts: 4660

Re: [enigma] Weight Loss for Climbing Ladies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I moved out of my NYC apartment and fairly sedentary lifestyle and into a cabin with no electricity, with water an eith a mile down the road, and no car, with the walk to hitch a ride almost a mile away.

The first 3 months I lost 20 pounds. Back in NYC over the winter, I gained back 10. Back in the cabin I went back to the low point within 6 weeks or so and stayed there.

Then I got in the van and am living out of it. Daily walking, regular hiking and climbing have gotten me down to a pretty good looking weight (I have no idea what I do weigh, but I know I have less fat than I have i n a long, long time.

So - activity seems to be the key. NOT sitting in front of my computer, snacking on cookies and crackers while I surf seems to be the key - who'd a thunk....duh.


nessie


Feb 22, 2011, 6:34 AM
Post #3 of 23 (13096 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 21, 2010
Posts: 61

Re: [happiegrrrl] Weight Loss for Climbing Ladies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Green tea, eating very healthy, low fat so no cheeses , heaps of exercise ie running or climbing 7 days per week, no chocolate unless in the mountains or outdoor climbing, eating pretty much every 4 hours to keep my metabolism working continuosly ....It might sound rough but the fat has pretty much gone...And the best part is I love living like this cause running and climbing daily is just my way of life since 2 years and avoiding chocolate keeps moodswings away!


saint_john


Feb 22, 2011, 7:28 AM
Post #4 of 23 (13088 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 4, 2010
Posts: 494

Re: [enigma] Weight Loss for Climbing Ladies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm a dude but I have lost about 10 pounds in the last couple of months. here's what I did:
-almost no booze or sugar
-almost no meat
-small meals every couple of hours
-minimal calories 2 hours before you go to sleep
-lots of fresh fruits, veggies, nuts, whole grains, fish, eggs, water
-lots of cardio done on a empty stomach (difficult, but very effective for weight loss)


erisspirit


Feb 22, 2011, 9:00 AM
Post #5 of 23 (13079 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2004
Posts: 3770

Re: [saint_john] Weight Loss for Climbing Ladies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've never really been into any of the diets out there (low carb etc) mostly I just do my best to eat healthy well balanced meals. I try to eat lean meats, lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains, and I do try to avoid processed foods/ foods with a ton of preservatives etc. Sometimes I completely fail and gorge out on a huge pile of nachos Tongue but I just don't make a habit of it.

What I have mostly found, is that what my diet needs to be really depends on what I'm doing. When I was training for a marathon, I had a lot of energy issues until I adjusted my diet to fit. I found for me I needed a lot more whole grains and protein than when I was mostly just climbing. When I tore my ACL and wasn't moving around much, obiously my diet needed to adjust again.


Partner happiegrrrl


Feb 22, 2011, 11:13 AM
Post #6 of 23 (13062 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 25, 2004
Posts: 4660

Re: [nessie] Weight Loss for Climbing Ladies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

nessie wrote:
... no chocolate unless in the mountains or outdoor climbing,...


Hahaha - I read the no chocolate and had this reaction: Shocked

I didn't even SEE that you have added on the except when part!


iamthewallress


Feb 22, 2011, 11:28 AM
Post #7 of 23 (13058 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 1, 2003
Posts: 2463

Re: Weight Loss for Climbing Ladies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Eat a salad every day. Set goals for exercise and be honest with yourself about what you did besides just show up. Make all of your food from fresh ingredients (exception for olive oil, soy sauce, and spices). Keep dessert a treat: Skip it all but a few special times a year. Eat when you're hungry. Don't eat when you're not. And the best one for me...don't gain weight in the first place.


nessie


Feb 23, 2011, 2:02 AM
Post #8 of 23 (13009 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 21, 2010
Posts: 61

Re: [happiegrrrl] Weight Loss for Climbing Ladies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

and you have to take into account that I live in Belgium, the best country for chocolate delights...Such sacrifice, all for climbing!!!!Hahaha!!


iamthewallress


Feb 23, 2011, 1:29 PM
Post #9 of 23 (12977 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 1, 2003
Posts: 2463

Re: [nessie] Weight Loss for Climbing Ladies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

nessie wrote:
and you have to take into account that I live in Belgium, the best country for chocolate delights...Such sacrifice, all for climbing!!!!Hahaha!!

I spent a year in Belgium during which I gained 40 lbs. of chocolate, waffles, and beer and then starved to loose it all before returning to the states. It left stretch marks.

It was fun communing with that much good food, but after a while, it stops being a treat.


enigma


Feb 23, 2011, 7:22 PM
Post #10 of 23 (12945 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Re: [iamthewallress] Weight Loss for Climbing Ladies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

iamthewallress wrote:
nessie wrote:
and you have to take into account that I live in Belgium, the best country for chocolate delights...Such sacrifice, all for climbing!!!!Hahaha!!

I spent a year in Belgium during which I gained 40 lbs. of chocolate, waffles, and beer and then starved to loose it all before returning to the states. It left stretch marks.

It was fun communing with that much good food, but after a while, it stops being a treat.

That sounds like a lot of sweets. However I've been to Denmark and they have the best danish and pastries.
I thought chocolate helped mood by raising serontin levels . Supposedly it has to be at least 60% pure cacao. Obviously dark. Glad to here that you lost the weight.Smile


enigma


Feb 23, 2011, 7:39 PM
Post #11 of 23 (12942 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Re: [nessie] Weight Loss for Climbing Ladies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

nessie wrote:
Green tea, eating very healthy, low fat so no cheeses , heaps of exercise ie running or climbing 7 days per week, no chocolate unless in the mountains or outdoor climbing, eating pretty much every 4 hours to keep my metabolism working continuosly ....It might sound rough but the fat has pretty much gone...And the best part is I love living like this cause running and climbing daily is just my way of life since 2 years and avoiding chocolate keeps moodswings away!

Wow it sounds like you did a great job, maybe the fact you live in in Belgium you became oversaturated with good chocolate and now you don't want it anymore.
When I was in high school , there was a store that I passed on my way home that had handmade french chocolates, and Bloomingdales which has all these great chocolates.
I think because I wasn't exposed to that before, I had no idea how many calories and weight I might gain . I was only 16, but I soon realized that I had to change my eating habits.
I also think female teenagers have to deal with PMS and more mood swings, so chocolate helps them with their cravings.
Now if I want chocolate I just have a small piece, and avoid baking cookies, or pancakes which I adore.
So tell me what you normal diet is every day for example? You sound like you found a optimum level. You are very self-controlled. Sounds like you have a great life climbing and running 7 days per week. Lucky you don't have to work,Cool


clee03m


Feb 25, 2011, 4:36 PM
Post #12 of 23 (12876 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 29, 2004
Posts: 785

Re: [enigma] Weight Loss for Climbing Ladies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

For me, bet diet is just climbing a lot. When I used to climb a lot (every weekend, once or twice weeday outside, 3-4 hours at the gym several times a week) I used to be able to eat whatever the hell I wanted and looked starved.

After baby and no free time, I gain weight when I even drink water.

*sigh*


enigma


Feb 27, 2011, 4:08 AM
Post #13 of 23 (12834 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Re: [clee03m] Weight Loss for Climbing Ladies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
For me, bet diet is just climbing a lot. When I used to climb a lot (every weekend, once or twice weeday outside, 3-4 hours at the gym several times a week) I used to be able to eat whatever the hell I wanted and looked starved.

After baby and no free time, I gain weight when I even drink water.

*sigh*

Show us a pictue of your baby , I'm sure the weight gain will go away, Nursing should lose 500 calories per day.
Lets see your baby climber .Smile


mindaa


Feb 28, 2011, 1:00 PM
Post #14 of 23 (12761 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 16, 2005
Posts: 38

Re: [enigma] Weight Loss for Climbing Ladies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thanks - this has been an interesting thread.

There is still support for a high carb, low fat, plant- based diet. (Like Dr. MacDougall and Dr. Ornish) but really, You said it - calories in and calories out is really what matters.(For weight loss at least - general health and nutrition is a much bigger topic)

I have such a hard time with self control but could never follow a restrictive diet plan (including those I referenced) so I've used a program like sparkpeople.com or the dailyplate.com, to track calories when needing to lose/maintain.


nessie


Mar 1, 2011, 4:38 AM
Post #15 of 23 (12718 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 21, 2010
Posts: 61

Re: [enigma] Weight Loss for Climbing Ladies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

That would be so cool, not having to work...BLISS!!!Alas, I do need to work and so after work ie after 20 pm i am off pounding the pavement or the climbing hall during the week.For the rest, breakfast is muesli(no sugar) or oatmeal with banana, midmorning an apple, lunch=hot home cooked meal, afternoon carrots or a piece of fruit and early evening a few slices of bread with ham and jam or honey....Every now and again an ice cream(magnums, absolutely irresistible at times)!!!!


enigma


Mar 4, 2011, 12:29 AM
Post #16 of 23 (12631 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Re: [mindaa] Weight Loss for Climbing Ladies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

mindaa wrote:
Thanks - this has been an interesting thread.

There is still support for a high carb, low fat, plant- based diet. (Like Dr. MacDougall and Dr. Ornish) but really, You said it - calories in and calories out is really what matters.(For weight loss at least - general health and nutrition is a much bigger topic)

I have such a hard time with self control but could never follow a restrictive diet plan (including those I referenced) so I've used a program like sparkpeople.com or the dailyplate.com, to track calories when needing to lose/maintain.

I heard about this professor that went on a diet of twinkees and donuts and oreos and all junk and kept his calorie intake to 1700 . He lost 25 pounds in two months.
Of course most people would want some nutrition but he only did it a short time as an experiment. To prove he could lose the weight.
I think he had some fruit as well.

Some people are allergic to certain foods, and also there whats known as set points.
So if you normally weigh 125 pounds it will probably be difficult to get down to 100 pounds. People also have their own metabolism which is genetic as well. I knew identical twins that lived apart in their 30's ate completely differently and still maintained the same weight within a 2 pounds.
Just a thought.


enigma


Mar 4, 2011, 12:38 AM
Post #17 of 23 (12627 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Re: [nessie] Weight Loss for Climbing Ladies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

nessie wrote:
That would be so cool, not having to work...BLISS!!!Alas, I do need to work and so after work ie after 20 pm i am off pounding the pavement or the climbing hall during the week.For the rest, breakfast is muesli(no sugar) or oatmeal with banana, midmorning an apple, lunch=hot home cooked meal, afternoon carrots or a piece of fruit and early evening a few slices of bread with ham and jam or honey....Every now and again an ice cream(magnums, absolutely irresistible at times)!!!!

Sounds tasty, hmmn what's magnums , a ice cream? Yes I think denial of having a treat, is no good as well
. In fact I went back to this gym I had gone for about a year.
This girl I knew said her trainer told her she couldn't have any carbohydrates after 5.pm even an apple.
Too Restrictive.


nessie


Mar 4, 2011, 1:06 AM
Post #18 of 23 (12619 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 21, 2010
Posts: 61

Re: [enigma] Weight Loss for Climbing Ladies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Magnums are these delicious ice creams...And yeah, never ahaving any treats doesn't work cause the danger of binge eating is lurking just round the corner then! I've heard about the no carbs plan in the evening too. I try not to eat too late although that obviously isn't always possible....It is hard at times to keep it up but then I think of the results for weighing a bit less whilst climbing and how I feel about myself and then it is all worth it again!And if I can do it, so can you!!!!:)


mya81


Mar 8, 2011, 1:35 PM
Post #19 of 23 (12526 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 10, 2009
Posts: 18

Re: [enigma] Weight Loss for Climbing Ladies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Exercise:
Moderate exercise every day where a few sessions is dedicated to interval training.
The majority of exercise sessions should be cardio training with a few sessions of weight training.

Diet:
Cut out refined sugars - empty calories that just add to your waistline. I stopped drinking fizzy drinks, reduced the amount of sugar I put in my tea and no lollies. You can feel the difference immediately.
Eat fruit instead for a sugar fix.

Reduce the intake of starchy carbs such as white rice and potatoes. Substitute with brown rice, lentils and wholegrains.

The best weight loss secret is having a good diet. To loose weight, diet is about 75% of the effort and execrise 25%. You won't loose weight if you're exercising but still continue to eat junk.

Cheers.


enigma


Mar 9, 2011, 1:44 AM
Post #20 of 23 (12493 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Re: [mya81] Weight Loss for Climbing Ladies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

mya81 wrote:
Exercise:
Moderate exercise every day where a few sessions is dedicated to interval training.
The majority of exercise sessions should be cardio training with a few sessions of weight training.

Diet:
Cut out refined sugars - empty calories that just add to your waistline. I stopped drinking fizzy drinks, reduced the amount of sugar I put in my tea and no lollies. You can feel the difference immediately.
Eat fruit instead for a sugar fix.

Reduce the intake of starchy carbs such as white rice and potatoes. Substitute with brown rice, lentils and wholegrains.

The best weight loss secret is having a good diet. To loose weight, diet is about 75% of the effort and execrise 25%. You won't loose weight if you're exercising but still continue to eat junk.

Cheers.

That's true. It is about what you eat, I eat healthy, but you have to monitor calories.
I want to lose 10 pounds . So I can climb 5.12's Cool
I was trained for competitive crew so I have been fortunate to have exercise regimen down.


kickasssoprano


Apr 25, 2011, 8:32 AM
Post #21 of 23 (12203 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 16, 2010
Posts: 53

Re: [enigma] Weight Loss for Climbing Ladies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

When I was training for Thai boxing and had to make weight I'd go on a "fighters training diet". I would eat every three hours, protein at every meal. No simple carbs, no refined sugar, no saturated fat, no dairy, good fats are also essential- think avocado, olive oil nuts. Nothing from a box, a bag or a can. Also almond milk is way better for you than soy milk.
example:
Breakfast: complex carb + protein (ie: one whole egg + 2 egg whites + (scrambled- no oil) + spelt bread or whole grain bread with almond butter
Snack: fruit or veg + protein (i.e. small apple plus small handful of almonds)
Lunch: complex carb + protein + veg (i.e. spinach salad with cucumber, grape tomatoes, grilled chicken, chickpeas- olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing)
snack: fruit or veg + protein (i.e. raw veggies with hummus)
supper protein + complex carb + veg (i.e. grilled chicken breast, brown rice or quinoa or sweet potato etc.. and broccoli- or other veg)

If you work out in the evening- have an apple or some grapes with a protein shake or some almonds (raw, unsalted or dry roasted, unsalted) after your work out.

It takes some time to get used to it, but it works. my coach also let us have a cheat day once a week where we could eat something we were usually not allowed- keep in mind that a competitive fighter is training six days a week for three to five hours a day so we had a little more room for calories. You definitely need to take at least one rest day from exercise to avoid injury as well, someone on here said to exercise 7 days a week- this can do more harm than good.
Good luck Smile

edited because I forgot to add:
drink about two liters of water per day- more if you're working out (you'll be peeing a lot at the beginning but eventually, your body gets used to it)


(This post was edited by kickasssoprano on Apr 25, 2011, 8:37 AM)


kiwiprincess


May 1, 2011, 3:23 PM
Post #22 of 23 (12119 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2007
Posts: 307

Re: [kickasssoprano] Weight Loss for Climbing Ladies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I find Running the best way to Loose weight. Other exercise gets me fit but not skinny..It must be the consistency of the intensity.

I don't find I can climb any harder skinny though.
Eating the right stuff for recovery, staying hydrated, and Training both endurance and stength (Eg: boulder hard One session. Go for milage the next.) do far more for your climbing than loosing a couple of Kilos.


enigma


May 1, 2011, 11:51 PM
Post #23 of 23 (12086 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Re: [kiwiprincess] Weight Loss for Climbing Ladies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

kiwiprincess wrote:
I find Running the best way to Loose weight. Other exercise gets me fit but not skinny..It must be the consistency of the intensity.

I don't find I can climb any harder skinny though.
Eating the right stuff for recovery, staying hydrated, and Training both endurance and stength (Eg: boulder hard One session. Go for milage the next.) do far more for your climbing than loosing a couple of Kilos.


If you run than climb you won't have as much energy. Perhaps you are losing muscle strength or need more nutrients.
Try other cardio as well like swimming or biking.
Or perhaps kickassoprano has some input on your climbing.
Sounds like she has a pretty intense workout going.
Of course climbing itself is the best training.


Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook