RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

fresh

Feb 22, 2011, 4:16 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2636 views)
Shortcut

the sounds of ice
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

this is my fourth season ice climbing, and for whatever reason the ice has been talking much more loudly than ever before.

the same thing has happened about 8-10 times. I take a swing just like normal, and the ice cracks like a whip. same sound as a dinnerplate, just much louder. however normally I can't find so much as a crack in the ice. once there was about a 3 foot crack right in the surface.

I guess this has happened about 8-10 times this season, compared with one time that I can remember before. usually on brittle ice, but one time on some pretty plastic ice. I've asked a few friends and they've all said something like, "huh. that's weird. <insert change of subject>".

so I guess my question is how often does this happen, and how do people deal with it? my instinct is to run far away (especially on columns), and sometimes I do, but sometimes I just shrug and move on. any thoughts?

gunkiemike

Feb 27, 2011, 1:25 AM
Post #2 of 3 (2530 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fresh] the sounds of ice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Real common when there's strain in the ice, as there is after a large temperature swing (esp. downwards).

chossmonkey

May 14, 2011, 8:24 PM
Post #3 of 3 (2200 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fresh] the sounds of ice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fresh wrote:
so I guess my question is how often does this happen, and how do people deal with it? my instinct is to run far away (especially on columns), and sometimes I do, but sometimes I just shrug and move on. any thoughts?

Sounds like a good idea.

If its coming from inside it is a sign of instability.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook