Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

wonderwoman

Feb 22, 2011, 10:04 PM
Post #76 of 137 (10207 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] Anonymous post ratings: enough is enough [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
I want my 5 star post back!

There ya go.

kachoong

Feb 22, 2011, 10:05 PM
Post #77 of 137 (10207 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
I want my 5 star post back!

Don't worry... it still counts. It's being poked at with a stick as we speak.

Arrogant_Bastard

Feb 22, 2011, 10:11 PM
Post #78 of 137 (10201 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Anonymous post ratings: enough is enough [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is that why the post count shows a gap between 72 and 75? Interesting. My post still lives!

FREE MY POST!

FREE MY POST!

FREE MY POST!

Toast_in_the_Machine

Feb 22, 2011, 10:22 PM
Post #79 of 137 (10186 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Anonymous post ratings: enough is enough [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
beetlebug wrote:
I see... Habitually abusing other users is fine, but suggesting someone stop being a douchebag while making other quite valid remarks gets your post pulled. WTF. If this is where you're going to draw the line you're headed for trouble.

Kindy reinstate that post (and those that followed), or go through and remove every other post where someone calls someone else an idiot, moron, Nancy, dick, scrot, etc.

In the other recent S&F thread, an agreement was made that we would work to reduce the number of personal attacks - in all directions. No, we're not going to slog back through the archives and clean things up, but from here on in it's time to tone it down.

Argue the point, not the person.

Since I missed that memo (although I did get the one on the cover sheet to the TPS reports), do the new rules of engagement count in the campground or can I still call people bat sheet crazy there? (not that I have, just want to know the rulz)

Can I call someone a RNJ in the sloppybox?

blondgecko

Feb 22, 2011, 10:32 PM
Post #80 of 137 (10178 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Anonymous post ratings: enough is enough [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
beetlebug wrote:
I see... Habitually abusing other users is fine, but suggesting someone stop being a douchebag while making other quite valid remarks gets your post pulled. WTF. If this is where you're going to draw the line you're headed for trouble.

Kindy reinstate that post (and those that followed), or go through and remove every other post where someone calls someone else an idiot, moron, Nancy, dick, scrot, etc.

In the other recent S&F thread, an agreement was made that we would work to reduce the number of personal attacks - in all directions. No, we're not going to slog back through the archives and clean things up, but from here on in it's time to tone it down.

Argue the point, not the person.

Since I missed that memo (although I did get the one on the cover sheet to the TPS reports), do the new rules of engagement count in the campground or can I still call people bat sheet crazy there? (not that I have, just want to know the rulz)

Can I call someone a RNJ in the sloppybox?

Green forums are still pretty much "enter at your own risk."

blondgecko

Feb 22, 2011, 10:41 PM
Post #81 of 137 (10171 views)
Shortcut

Re: [beetlebug] Anonymous post ratings: enough is enough [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

beetlebug wrote:
It absolutely does follow. The post was not an attack, but rather an admonishment to either quit being a [censored] or quit whining about getting bad post ratings. It was no worse that what the user in question dishes out, even since the new policy was put on place.

As for others getting away with similar behavior, either you moderate everyone the same or you play favorites. At the moment you're doing the latter for someone well deserving of a bit of what he's sown.

BTW, I fully expect these to be hid ASAP.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2461257#2461257
http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2461400#2461400
http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2464750#2464750
http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2463857#2463857

Thank you for your feedback. If you care to look, I think you'll find that your reports have been dealt with.

In a more general sense, please try to keep some perspective. This forum is a free service, with moderation handled by part-time, unpaid volunteers. If you're the kind of person who expects perfection, you're guaranteed to find your experience here extremely disappointing.

beetlebug

Feb 22, 2011, 11:17 PM
Post #82 of 137 (10156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thank you for your feedback. If you care to look, I think you'll find that your reports have been dealt with.

The first two are still there, so I presume you mean that kind of response is allowable?

In reply to:
In a more general sense, please try to keep some perspective. This forum is a free service, with moderation handled by part-time, unpaid volunteers. If you're the kind of person who expects perfection, you're guaranteed to find your experience here extremely disappointing.

Unfortunately this has nothing to do with the apparent willingness to not apply the standards of conduct equally across the userbase.  Allowing rough and tumble discourse except when directed at JT512 is neither proper nor acceptable regardless of whether you're a volunteer or not.  I understand this might be rooted in not wanting him provoked, but that's only delaying the inevitable.  

blondgecko

Feb 22, 2011, 11:57 PM
Post #83 of 137 (10142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

beetlebug wrote:

In reply to:

The first two are still there, so I presume you mean that kind of response is allowable?

In reply to:

Unfortunately this has nothing to do with the apparent willingness to not apply the standards of conduct equally across the userbase.  Allowing rough and tumble discourse except when directed at JT512 is neither proper nor acceptable regardless of whether you're a volunteer or not.  I understand this might be rooted in not wanting him provoked, but that's only delaying the inevitable.  

You seem to be arguing a bit of a false dichotomy here. Either anything goes, or we apply a mindless zero-tolerance policy of the sort that leads to kids being expelled from school for bringing in a 1" plastic toy gun.

The reality is far more grey than that. Look at it this way:

A post that consists in its entirety of a personal attack will almost certainly be hidden - unless, in context, it's obvious that it's harmless ribbing between friends.

A post that contains a particularly nasty personal attack will usually be hidden, no matter what other content the post has (if the content is useful, we may for example ask the poster to self-edit the offending bit out).

A post that contains something along the lines of "you're an idiot" or "you're a douche" as a throwaway line in an otherwise useful point will probably be ignored as the "rough and tumble" as edge put it.

A post like the one in this thread, that's a page long and directed entirely at the character of one particular user, continuing a topic that's been flogged to death, buried, dug back up, flogged again and re-buried under 6 feet of concrete... yeah, you bet your ass that's going to go.

There's always going to be judgement calls - and therefore, there's always going to be some calls you disagree with. That's just life.

Oh, and for the record, despite your earlier claim, that post was the only one hidden. There were no responses to it, substantive or otherwise.

Arrogant_Bastard

Feb 23, 2011, 12:10 AM
Post #84 of 137 (10134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
A post that contains something along the lines of "you're an idiot" or "you're a douche" as a throwaway line in an otherwise useful point will probably be ignored as the "rough and tumble" as edge put it.

I feel that this is the category in which my post to beetledung should have been classified.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Feb 23, 2011, 12:15 AM
Post #85 of 137 (10130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
blondgecko wrote:

I feel that this is the category in which my post to beetledung should have been classified.

since I didn't see it can you summarize it for me?

I'll give it give stars in advance.

beetlebug

Feb 23, 2011, 1:55 AM
Post #86 of 137 (10115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
A post like the one in this thread, that's a page long and directed entirely at the character of one particular user, continuing a topic that's been flogged to death, buried, dug back up, flogged again and re-buried under 6 feet of concrete... yeah, you bet your ass that's going to go.

So no more flogging dead horses then?  I for one will be happy to see the end of the which shoe / which rope threads.  They're quite tiresome.

blondgecko wrote:

AND

blondgecko wrote:
There's always going to be judgement calls - and therefore, there's always going to be some calls you disagree with.    That's just life.

Quite simply LeadZeppelin was giving JT512 what he deserved in a clear, consise way that was no more rough than passes for standard discourse here on RC.  You all are clearly in the wrong on the decision to remove that post, and I'm not the only one of that opinion.  Scroll back a little ways and you'll find Camhead doing a facepalm over it.  Flogging the horse of not, LeadZeppelin was not attacking JT512 but rather point out the obvious that if JT512 doesn't like getting his posts 1 starred then perhaps he should stop being a douchebag.  Reap what you sow, and frankly he deserves every little bit he gets.  He's a big boy and can handle it without you all protecting him.

On a related note, Arrogant_Bastard's post calling me a douchebag should not have been hidden if you go by these rules, yet it was.  It was clearly done in jest and I even responded that I gave it 5 stars. 

blondgecko wrote:
Oh, and for the record, despite your earlier claim, that post was the only one hidden.  There were no responses to it, substantive or otherwise.

For that, my apologies.  I recalled seeing a post or three about number of posts and thought they were in response to LeadZeppelin and could no longer find them.  I now see they are still there and were a separate discussion.

As for the 2 links I posted earlier, please explain how in http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2461257#2461257 :
roninthorne wrote:
rockforlife- you're an idiot, 'k? 

When I released the trap, it put one hell of a dent in the metal trekking pole I was using.  And since the trap measured about 16-18 inches when open, YES, it would have come to just above the top of a boot, so YES, it would have fit over my leg.

People were also clearcutting forest, hunting local animals into extinction (elk, eastern red wolf, etc, etc, etc), and breeding with their kin long before I started hiking here... do you support all of those practices, as well?

Wait... you're a PRODUCT of at least one of those... nevermind...

<snip>

Cheers... and go f*ck yourselves, 'k?

fits with the attack the idea, not the person / allowable rough and tumble discourse rules?  First he calls one user an idiot and accuses him of being inbred then tells everyone in the thread to fuck off....  This is clearly well beyond what LeadZeppelin posted in regards to JT512, yet this is the one you all chose to allow to remain.

As Camhead said so eloquently, <facepalm>.

ddt

Feb 23, 2011, 7:33 AM
Post #87 of 137 (10083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

beetlebug,

Your point is noted. We (the moderators) have explained our actions, and we're not going to let it drag out ad infinitum in this thread.

In future, kindly open separate thread in the suggestions and feedback forum if you want to provide feedback about moderator actions.

DDT

blueeyedclimber

Feb 28, 2011, 5:01 PM
Post #88 of 137 (9921 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ddt] Anonymous post ratings: enough is enough [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Btw, we HAD a perfectly good system of trophies and poo. If it's going to be changed, change it back to that.

Josh

ceebo

Mar 25, 2011, 3:37 PM
Post #89 of 137 (9748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
A post that consists in its entirety of a personal attack will almost certainly be hidden - unless, in context, it's obvious that it's harmless ribbing between friends.

At some point, while lining them up to knock them down.. each person unknowingly signed his friendship form?. In that case, HI M8!.

Mostly their are good topics at RC, and people giving their opinions, even if wrong. But every time he steps in he has to make it ALL personal. As a result the topic from their on out falls apart.. at least until they give up and let him have his childish last word.

Every 10 topics he destroys that could have generated countless more debate and info.. he makes one fucking post about how to eat well?. And you think that is worth putting up with the bs he dishes out daily?.

How many people do you think would like to post a question, but decide not too because they anticipate the likes of jay ( And a few others) will completely rip them apart. Sounds counter productive to the purpose of this place to me.

From a M8 to a M8, you are a joke! Laugh

blondgecko

Mar 27, 2011, 4:57 AM
Post #90 of 137 (9716 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] Anonymous post ratings: enough is enough [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
In reply to:

At some point, while lining them up to knock them down.. each person unknowingly signed his friendship form?. In that case, HI M8!.

Mostly their are good topics at RC, and people giving their opinions, even if wrong. But every time he steps in he has to make it ALL personal. As a result the topic from their on out falls apart.. at least until they give up and let him have his childish last word.

Every 10 topics he destroys that could have generated countless more debate and info.. he makes one fucking post about how to eat well?. And you think that is worth putting up with the bs he dishes out daily?.

How many people do you think would like to post a question, but decide not too because they anticipate the likes of jay ( And a few others) will completely rip them apart. Sounds counter productive to the purpose of this place to me.

Speaking of going off topic and making things personal... physician, heal thyself.

As for the sentence of mine you quoted, I do not think it means what you think it means.

jt512

Mar 27, 2011, 5:36 AM
Post #91 of 137 (9712 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
ceebo wrote:
In reply to:

Speaking of going off topic and making things personal... physician, heal thyself.

As for the sentence of mine you quoted, I do not think it means what you think it means.

I would just like to point out—in a completely non-judgmental manner—that to most English speakers, people who are "mates," by definition, are people who have sex with each other.

That said, carry on (so to speak).

Jay

blondgecko

Mar 27, 2011, 5:44 AM
Post #92 of 137 (9708 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Anonymous post ratings: enough is enough [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
ceebo wrote:
In reply to:

I would just like to point out—in a completely non-judgmental manner—that to most English speakers, people who are "mates," by definition, are people who have sex with each other.

Jay

Perhaps in America - but certainly not here in Australia.

sbaclimber

Mar 27, 2011, 6:22 AM
Post #93 of 137 (9704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
jt512 wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
ceebo wrote:
In reply to:

Jay

...or New Zealand.
Just to confuse things more...while in NZ, I was having sex with my "partner". Wink

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Mar 27, 2011, 6:25 AM)

kachoong

Mar 28, 2011, 1:03 AM
Post #94 of 137 (9668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
jt512 wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
ceebo wrote:
In reply to:

Jay

Yeah, if that wuz the case, Australia would be full of sluts

Toast_in_the_Machine

Mar 28, 2011, 11:50 AM
Post #95 of 137 (9634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
jt512 wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
ceebo wrote:
In reply to:

Jay

There is no need to lob softballs in this forum.

spikeddem

Mar 28, 2011, 3:01 PM
Post #96 of 137 (9610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
ceebo wrote:
In reply to:

Jay
In reply to:
[Dante and Randal are working in Ye Olde Quick Stoppe in England.]
Customer: Pack of fags.
Randal: You're a fag!
Customer: It's a cigarette, mate.
Randal: I'm not your mate, fag!
[Randal jumps over counter and tackles the customer.]
Dante: It wasn't until years later that we found out what "fag" really means. Right, mate?
Randal: You're a fag!
Dante: N-no, it's a cigarette!
Randal: You're a cigarette!

That being said, I think Jay is more "critical" when it comes to advice given out by others--which is good--not so much when people ask "dumb" questions.

Arrogant_Bastard

Mar 28, 2011, 3:59 PM
Post #97 of 137 (9605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
jt512 wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
ceebo wrote:
In reply to:

Jay

Weren't you just saying that you'd only been back to AUS for an hour or two and you already scored your first meatpie?

ceebo

Apr 1, 2011, 4:23 PM
Post #98 of 137 (9514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
ceebo wrote:
In reply to:

Jay

Getting busy with a man's fanny to most English speakers, by definition is impossible.

Perhaps you should define English.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Apr 1, 2011, 9:33 PM
Post #99 of 137 (9498 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] Anonymous post ratings: enough is enough [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
jt512 wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
ceebo wrote:
In reply to:

Jay

Getting busy with a man's fanny to most English speakers, by definition is impossible.

If by the possessive you imply ownership of his mate's parts, then it is not impossible at all.

kachoong

Apr 1, 2011, 10:24 PM
Post #100 of 137 (9491 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Anonymous post ratings: enough is enough [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
ceebo wrote:
jt512 wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
ceebo wrote:
In reply to:

Jay

If by the possessive you imply ownership of his mate's parts, then it is not impossible at all.

I'm not sure you understand what he means.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook