RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

iamgeniey

Feb 24, 2011, 11:48 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Beta for the Boone area
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Spring break is near, and I'm making climbing plans. Will someone give me their thoughts about the Ship Rock, the Wilson's Creek, and the Sunken Treasure crags? I've climbed at The Dump and had a good time, and I think it's near those areas??????? For some reason I'm imagining them to resemble The Dump.

g

clemsonscooby

Feb 24, 2011, 1:59 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1624 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iamgeniey] Beta for the Boone area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ship Rock is definitely not the dump. It is a much better place, but focuses more on the trad. The conditions will most likely be unideal if you attempt Ship Rock in the next month or so, since it is NW facing and may only get a lick of sun at the end of the day. Pretty cold for 4000'. That place is normally a late spring to early fall crag, with summer being its peak season, but lots of T showers.

I would suggest Shortoff this time of year, since it is SW facing and much lower in elevation. Not to mention this one of the coolest wilderness cliffs in the SE. The other walls in the gorge will be ok also, especially late in the day since they are West facing.

Never been to Sunken Treasure, but there is an old guidebook on it. If you post on the carolina climbers forums, you will probably get plenty of beta.

Edited to say "unideal" for Ship Rock conditions

(This post was edited by clemsonscooby on Feb 24, 2011, 3:52 PM)

iamgeniey

Feb 24, 2011, 2:34 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1616 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clemsonscooby] Beta for the Boone area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you.

g

csproul

Feb 24, 2011, 6:31 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1608 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ship Rock is definitely a summer location, it will most likely be too cold during Spring. As was said, Shortoff gets sun and can be good in the Spring, as are Rumbling Bald and the sunny faces of Looking Glass. Laurel Knob can be pretty awesome in the Spring too. Bring your trad game to these places...no sport climbing. I've not been to Wilson's or to Sunken Treasure.

iamgeniey

Feb 25, 2011, 2:01 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1596 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Beta for the Boone area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, all those places you mentioned are great, but I thought I would visit some places in NC that I haven't been. I'm eager to hear more about Wilson's and Sunken Treasure though I shouldn't hype up my expectations. I know there is a small guide book for the areas I mentioned....

thanks,
g

Jomomzaho

Mar 1, 2011, 7:48 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When you arrive in Boone, stop by the Footsloggers (139 S Depot St). These hosers are the only climbing shop in town. Roll in with a 'been there, done that' attitude and pick up a copy of 'The High Country Cragger' by Mike Grimm. It covers the Dump, Sunken Treasure, and the Little Wilson, and other crags. If you can't find Footsloggers, call them at 828_262_5111. And don't hang yourself with that silly rope.

PatrickC

Mar 2, 2011, 5:24 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Those areas are good Sunken Treasures is off 221 and so is wilson creek. If you can find a local and want to climb a good mix of sport climbs check out little wilson as well. Ship rock is also good but probably a little more crowded. Sunken treasures would be the least crowded.

bigredscowboy

Mar 4, 2011, 2:00 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Little Wilson's is great with much steeper walls than the dump (outside of the unwritten law roof) but will probably be soaked this time of year. Sunken is sweet too and perhaps most like the dump, but not many routes in the grand scheme of things--especially when you consider that many of the "sport" routes recommend pro. Ship has the best trad outside the gorge but it could be chilly as stated. Pick up a High country guide and you'll have plenty to do while your there.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook