Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

blueeyedclimber

Feb 28, 2011, 2:30 PM
Post #51 of 78 (7950 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Communication when you can't hear each other [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
While this seems like it wouldn't be an issue it usually comes up very often.

This is an odd statement. Why would you think it wouldn't be an issue?

Anyways, here some ways to mitigate communication issues:

1) Use first names when communicating.
2) Do shorter pitches.
3) Leader sets up belay at edge or as close as possible.
4) Do not use commands with similar vowel sounds (i.e safe/take)
5) Establish system with partner before leaving ground.
6) Rope tugs are great and IME usually work, but as rgold said, in times of high rope friction, they may not be effective.
7) Make sure your belay is set up and ready to go within seconds of pulling the rope up.
8) If leader is visible, but because of distance, wind, roaring river or crashing waves, you can't hear each other, non-verbal signals are effective. ( Thumbs up, means off belay. Another Thumbs up means on belay).

Josh

dan2see

Feb 28, 2011, 5:15 PM
Post #52 of 78 (7922 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Communication when you can't hear each other [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
... ( Thumbs up, means off belay. Another Thumbs up means on belay).

Josh

Shocked Right! Crazy

This thread is hilarious! You can tell from the variety of suggestions that it's really chaotic. Of course it's an important topic, and a lot of folks have their "better" solutions.

But you know, all of this actually happens in real life, too. When-ever I go out with a group, all this stuff is always going around. Especially with a large climbing club, where a lot of the guys are not familiar with each other.

My own solution is, "go with the flow". I know, that's really wishy-washy. Sometimes it works, but sometimes I just try to keep my feet, and keep my head.

LostinMaine

Feb 28, 2011, 5:19 PM
Post #53 of 78 (7918 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Communication when you can't hear each other [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
8) If leader is visible, but because of distance, wind, roaring river or crashing waves, you can't hear each other, non-verbal signals are effective. ( Thumbs up, means off belay. Another Thumbs up means on belay).

Josh

Maybe that's my problem. I was always using the wrong finger.

sp115

Feb 28, 2011, 5:31 PM
Post #54 of 78 (7911 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] Communication when you can't hear each other [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

Josh

Shocked Right! Crazy

This thread is hilarious! You can tell from the variety of suggestions that it's really chaotic. Of course it's an important topic, and a lot of folks have their "better" solutions.

But you know, all of this actually happens in real life, too. When-ever I go out with a group, all this stuff is always going around. Especially with a large climbing club, where a lot of the guys are not familiar with each other.

My own solution is, "go with the flow". I know, that's really wishy-washy. Sometimes it works, but sometimes I just try to keep my feet, and keep my head.

If you can read through the lines (including what you just wrote), a competent leader will work out a system before they leave the ground. And even if that gets cocked-up, a competent belayer will pay attention to the flow of the rope. That's all it really takes.

blueeyedclimber

Feb 28, 2011, 7:34 PM
Post #55 of 78 (7887 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] Communication when you can't hear each other [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

Josh

Shocked Right! Crazy

Haha! What you don't like my Fonzie method. All I say to that is "HEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!" Tongue

Josh

enigma

Mar 1, 2011, 7:27 AM
Post #56 of 78 (7849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
dan2see wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

Josh

Shocked Right! Crazy

Haha! What you don't like my Fonzie method. All I say to that is "HEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!" Tongue

Josh

What happens when you can't see or hear one another? What difference does your fingers make?

Most of the time when I know I'm on belay the leader starts pulling up the rope, or if I tug it , they tug it, but what happens when I'm ready to climb no tug, can't hear or see one another? The last time it happened I was on a single pitch, can't see one another or hear one another.
So I try tugging, no tug back, so I wait, I yell, nothing,
Finally I look at the climb and figure hopefully I'll start climbing and I'll know by him pulling up the slack . Ok, lucky it worked, now I go a little further, and a piece is stuck, so I want hime to take, doesn't hear me, finally get it out.
I continue, cleaning, its a bad line climb, so I finish . Everything is fine. Tongue
Generally it is , however it would be nice, if there were some universal AMGA signals or protocol for those instances. Especially on multi-pitches.

sp115

Mar 1, 2011, 11:37 AM
Post #57 of 78 (7836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
"...it would be nice, if there were some universal AMGA signals or protocol for those instances. Especially on multi-pitches."

This sounds like a perfect job for you, have at it.

blueeyedclimber

Mar 1, 2011, 1:55 PM
Post #58 of 78 (7828 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:

What happens when you can't see or hear one another? What difference does your fingers make?

You have already been given some advice for if you can't see or hear each other. This is totally situation dependent, but ultimately you and your partner need to work out a system. If you cannot see or hear and the rope friction is not allowing for good rope communication, then perhaps setting a time limit and then just climbing. If you do this, you have to have trust in each other and the leader better put you on belay in the agreed amount of time once the rope is up.

In reply to:

Most of the time when I know I'm on belay the leader starts pulling up the rope, or if I tug it , they tug it, but what happens when I'm ready to climb no tug, can't hear or see one another? The last time it happened I was on a single pitch, can't see one another or hear one another.
So I try tugging, no tug back, so I wait, I yell, nothing,

If you don't know what's going on, then it's a bad idea to tug on a leader. Do you need me to explain why?

In reply to:
Finally I look at the climb and figure hopefully I'll start climbing and I'll know by him pulling up the slack . Ok, lucky it worked, now I go a little further, and a piece is stuck, so I want hime to take, doesn't hear me, finally get it out.
I continue, cleaning, its a bad line climb, so I finish . Everything is fine. Tongue

This is why you need to think about these things before hand or at the very least process after the fact to fix these kinks in the future.

In reply to:
Generally it is , however it would be nice, if there were some universal AMGA signals or protocol for those instances. Especially on multi-pitches.

This will not happen, or at least I hope not. Take responsibility for yourself and come up with a protocol for you and your partners. There are NO climbers that I know that would like to be governed.

Josh

billl7

Mar 1, 2011, 2:00 PM
Post #59 of 78 (7827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
... however it would be nice [when you can't hear each other], if there were some universal AMGA signals or protocol for those instances.
I suppose something could be worked out by some recognized body. Of course, it has already been worked out for verbal signals and [with mild sarcasm] look how well those have been uniformly adopted by individuals across the climbing community.

And, just like verbals, there are cases when rope signals are going to be inadequate.

The best protocol: Agree to something before the climb. Use your head during the climb. And recognize that climbing is dangerous. No disrespect intended.

Bill L

TradEddie

Mar 1, 2011, 5:25 PM
Post #60 of 78 (7791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm partially deaf, so I like to use radios when communication may be difficult. Batteries fail, tugs get lost and sh** happens, but I can't imagine any scenario where I would take my climber off belay without knowing 100% that he was safe, and I expect the same of them. If contact is lost and the rope is fully drawn up, I've started climbing in a few minutes knowing that I might not be on belay, but that the leader is at worst simul-climbing. If the rope was not fully up, maybe after some huge delay without activity on the rope, I'd escape the belay.
I said "Belay On", I meant it. A few wasted minutes is a small price to pay.

TE

kachoong

Mar 1, 2011, 5:38 PM
Post #61 of 78 (7785 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TradEddie] Communication when you can't hear each other [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TradEddie wrote:
I'm partially deaf, so I like to use radios when communication may be difficult. Batteries fail, tugs get lost and sh** happens, but I can't imagine any scenario where I would take my climber off belay without knowing 100% that he was safe, and I expect the same of them. If contact is lost and the rope is fully drawn up, I've started climbing in a few minutes knowing that I might not be on belay, but that the leader is at worst simul-climbing. If the rope was not fully up, maybe after some huge delay without activity on the rope, I'd escape the belay.
I said "Belay On", I meant it. A few wasted minutes is a small price to pay.

TE

I've had this happen a couple of times on "out there" climbs with high winds and excess rope drag. In those cases I let the rope run through the belay device till my tie in knot was jammed against the device, dismantled the belay as quick as possible and started to climb. One case, I was actually on belay and the leader was anchored in. The other time, he had to find a belay higher up and was still climbing when I had started to simulclimb. The climbing for me was easy to a corner and so I tied knots every five feet behind the belay device as I climbed until I could see him around the corner. I then made an anchor at the corner, the rope was already through the belay device and he was soon back on belay with what rope I had left.

sspssp

Mar 1, 2011, 6:42 PM
Post #62 of 78 (7769 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Communication when you can't hear each other [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Once upon a time I used the rope tug method to signal off belay, but I have found it too problematic.

I am generally in the go light and fast crowd (I'll climb alpine using only one strand of a double, simul-climb etc.), but the pulling the rope up through the belay device is not that big of deal if both climbers have good and quick rope management skills and you can pull the rope up fairly quickly.

If my partner and I can't hear, the leader sets up the anchor, puts the person on belay, and pulls the rope up through the belay device. The second feeds the rope up through the belay device (taking the belay device off right before the rope comes tight).

A bit of a pain. However, the big upside, no is ever off belay. The second can start climbing the moment the rope comes tight and in the worst case scenerio we are simul-climbing.

To make it easier for the climber on top, they can pull the rope up using a hip belay and not put the belay device on until they think it has come tight on the second. This of course depends on having confidence with a hip belay and maintaning the hip belay while putting the belay device on.

(This post was edited by sspssp on Mar 1, 2011, 6:46 PM)

moose_droppings

Mar 1, 2011, 7:22 PM
Post #63 of 78 (7751 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We hardly ever shout out communications. When I get to a belay, I stop and start constructing an anchor while he's noticed that I've stopped climbing, but keeps me on belay. When I'm ready to put him on belay, I'll take the rest of the rope up as quickly as possible through my device, he knows I'm not climbing, but pulling rope quickly and now knows when I weight him hard on the end of the rope, Ill give him about 30 secs to get his device off the line. I'll then put tension back on the line and feel for him to start moving after tearing down the belay.

There are faster ways but were in no hurry. Shouting ruins all the fun of a climb.

(This post was edited by moose_droppings on Mar 1, 2011, 7:23 PM)

ladyscarlett

Mar 2, 2011, 12:51 AM
Post #64 of 78 (7721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:

I've had this happen a couple of times on "out there" climbs with high winds and excess rope drag. In those cases I let the rope run through the belay device till my tie in knot was jammed against the device, dismantled the belay as quick as possible and started to climb. One case, I was actually on belay and the leader was anchored in. The other time, he had to find a belay higher up and was still climbing when I had started to simulclimb. The climbing for me was easy to a corner and so I tied knots every five feet behind the belay device as I climbed until I could see him around the corner. I then made an anchor at the corner, the rope was already through the belay device and he was soon back on belay with what rope I had left.

In this case, was this a regular partner with whom you'd simulclimbed in the past?

I've found myself in this position, but with no prior experience had no way of knowing how to handle it other than to climb up. The issue I had was that when I was at a place I felt I could set up another anchor with the rope I had left my partner was moving so fast, I had no time to set it up. Because my partner at the time was over a foot taller, his pace meant he was pulling me up the wall during our unplanned simulclimb. I feel like this wouldn't happened if we had more of a matched pace, which would come with more experience.

The scenario you've outlined is one that I've seen for myself, and my first instinct, but feel that the successful implementation requires a familiarity with one's partner.

Just curious as to what I need to achieve before I too can be confidently safe enough to go higher, harder, and longer...heh! Wink

Cheers

ls

TradEddie

Mar 2, 2011, 1:41 AM
Post #65 of 78 (7710 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ladyscarlett] Communication when you can't hear each other [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ladyscarlett wrote:

In this case, was this a regular partner with whom you'd simulclimbed in the past?

I've found myself in this position, but with no prior experience had no way of knowing how to handle it other than to climb up. The issue I had was that when I was at a place I felt I could set up another anchor with the rope I had left my partner was moving so fast, I had no time to set it up. Because my partner at the time was over a foot taller, his pace meant he was pulling me up the wall during our unplanned simulclimb. I feel like this wouldn't happened if we had more of a matched pace, which would come with more experience.

The scenario you've outlined is one that I've seen for myself, and my first instinct, but feel that the successful implementation requires a familiarity with one's partner.

Just curious as to what I need to achieve before I too can be confidently safe enough to go higher, harder, and longer...heh! Wink

Cheers

ls

That's when the "Belay On" deal starts to suck. The leader is the one who made the error, and the second is the one most at risk.

Personally I'd love to be able to climb more than 60m in one push without noticing, or running out of energy, gear, or simply being hobbled by rope drag.

TE

kachoong

Mar 2, 2011, 4:23 AM
Post #66 of 78 (7698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ladyscarlett wrote:
kachoong wrote:

Cheers

ls

Bare with me, while I ramble and explain further...

It's always totally situation dependent and will be slightly different each time. In the situation I outlined above, the partner I had was someone I'd climbed with for a few years and our options of communication (verbal and rope-pulling) were out of the question. We were about three pitches into a 900 ft climb, out of sight and with difficult route finding.

The problem really is, in your case, that if you're moving the same speed and you're at the end of the rope you can't stop to set up a higher anchor and belay coz you don't actually have any rope to belay with. You're at the end.

Once he passed the corner he was still just within ear shot and by the rope movement I could tell he had placed a couple of pieces. I couldn't see them but I knew that once I got to the corner I could set up another anchor and pay out as much rope as I could collect on the way there. The further he climbed the rope drag was insane and I couldn't "read" the rope. It just kept inching up.

My plan was decided ahead of time, while belaying, and knowing that the rope was getting towards the end. So, knowing he was most likely not at a belay stance, I disassembled the belay and started to climb, with the belay device still attached to the rope and my tie-in knot jammed against it. While I climbed (it was relatively easier climbing) I pulled rope through the device and tied a few knots periodically in the rope below it before gaining the new anchor spot. When I got there I had a loop of around 30 feet to spare, with which to belay him further.

One of the keys was to keep the belay device attached. Technically he was always on belay. At worst, he would have fallen, the rope would have slipped through the device to my last knot, arresting the fall. OK, I take that back... the worst scenario would have me fall and, like in simul-climbing, I would have quite possibly pulled him off... but that's the calculated risk of simul-climbing. It's something we had done a lot of together.

I guess the best thing you can do, is have some preemptive plans before you leave the ground or belay ledge, since you are fairly likely to know if the climb/pitch you're about to do will have difficult route finding and a rope-stretching distance. If you're the leader and climb out of contact range, place some pieces if you can, to minimise risk in the event your belayer needs to start to simul-climb.

If you're the belayer, think ahead while you're belaying, be attentitive and take note of rope movement and cues as to what the leader might be doing. Plan what you will do to dismantle the belay ahead of time and if you really have to, leave stuff behind.

In your scenario, he was pulling you up. That's something that only he can manage if you can't keep up. Don't worry, he will slow down... he'll have to. If needed he'll just wait for you to release tension on the rope or downclimb or hang on a piece of gear. Until you are able to re-establish communication that's about all the options you have.

healyje

Mar 2, 2011, 7:35 AM
Post #67 of 78 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is all part and parcel of the craft of belaying and on a continuum of circumstances you as a belayer may have to respond to over time in multipitch climbing. That continuum ranges from short pitches with no route finding where the leader is never out of your sight all the way on up through a full-blown epic of a leader going off-route, out of sight, and climbing to the end of the rope and beyond to reach a suitable anchor in growing darkness. How well you and your partner respond to these situations will dictate how smoothly your climb will go.

And ease-of-belaying is another important reason why slinging a pitch appropriately is important - especially long pitches. Get it wrong and the rope drag can be the difference between a pitch being simply exhilarating and being a nightmare. It's also the reason why trying to 'get by' with a rack of just sport draws is a bad idea in most cases; it's a matter of the right tool for the job at hand. That's not to say you shouldn't carry any sport draws; I rack about 2/3s trad draws and 1/3 15cm sport draws.

And that leads to a key aspect of belaying-as-a-craft that kachoong mentions:

kachoong wrote:
The further he climbed the rope drag was insane and I couldn't "read" the rope.

"Reading" what a leader is doing by feel through the rope is very much a distinct technical skill in belaying that you can learn over time. By keeping just the slightest breath of tension on the rope with with your non-brake hand fingers you should be able to maintain a continuous 'connection' with the leader. Over time you can learn to understand both what the state of an out-of-sight leader is at any moment and also 'divine' (by feel) their likely next intent. This is obviously much, much easier to learn if you climb with a steady partner, but if you pay attention over a period of years you'll begin to learn basic patterns of behavior common to most folks on lead. And don't kid yourself, learning this takes explicit and continuous focus and concentration; apply yourself and learn it while leaders are visible and you're in a position to associate what you feel with what you see for the day when you can't see (and it's another excellent reason to STFUAB).

As discussed here it's way better to agree on a protocol before leaving the ground then try to ad lib on route. Lot's of good suggestions here on rope signalling and rgold's suggestion for what you can do when you end up in a situation where rope drag simply overwhelms both 'feel' and rope tug signalling. Learn all three would be my suggestion: 'reading the rope', tug signals, and rgold's excellent suggestion for when those fail you.

And as to the matter of your leader climbing past the end of the rope. Bottom line is you don't have a choice; break down the belay quickly and start climbing trying once again to 'read' the leader's pace through the rope and matching it as much as possible. (Note: kachoong's strategy of climbing ahead of the leader's pace to re-establish a new belay with the resulting collected slack can expose the leader to a significant fall, and probably should only be tried with an advanced pair of climbers who understand each other and have some simu-climbing history.)

Further on this subject and relative to ladyscarlett's experience, if you are the leader in this situation and you know you are going to force your belayer to simu-climb then you better do so with a sharp focus on the capabilities and pace of your belayer. I've seen too many instances where a leader was dragging some poor soul up a route in an involuntary simu-climb alternately jerking them up and leaving them wading in slack - don't be one of those assholes.

In the end, you're way better off treating belaying as a worthy craft in it's own right and learning to do it competently versus treating it as a nuisance or an activity where you think you have the bandwidth to pursue other interests while doing it. It's the usual golden rule sort of deal: always give as good of a belay as as you'd like to get.

(This post was edited by healyje on Mar 2, 2011, 9:13 AM)

ladyscarlett

Mar 2, 2011, 8:41 AM
Post #68 of 78 (7659 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:

In the situation I outlined above, the partner I had was someone I'd climbed with for a few years and our options of communication (verbal and rope-pulling) were out of the question. We were about three pitches into a 900 ft climb, out of sight and with difficult route finding.

The problem really is, in your case, that if you're moving the same speed and you're at the end of the rope you can't stop to set up a higher anchor and belay coz you don't actually have any rope to belay with. You're at the end.

Once he passed the corner he was still just within ear shot and by the rope movement I could tell he had placed a couple of pieces. I couldn't see them but I knew that once I got to the corner I could set up another anchor and pay out as much rope as I could collect on the way there. The further he climbed the rope drag was insane and I couldn't "read" the rope. It just kept inching up.

My plan was decided ahead of time, while belaying, and knowing that the rope was getting towards the end. So, knowing he was most likely not at a belay stance, I disassembled the belay and started to climb, with the belay device still attached to the rope and my tie-in knot jammed against it. While I climbed (it was relatively easier climbing) I pulled rope through the device and tied a few knots periodically in the rope below it before gaining the new anchor spot. When I got there I had a loop of around 30 feet to spare, with which to belay him further.

Thanks! Actually this helps me visualize the situation quite well. And I understand that the situation was specific, but I have come across instances in the past where aspects of this situation would have allowed me to handle the entire experience better.

Cheers

LS

ladyscarlett

Mar 2, 2011, 9:58 AM
Post #69 of 78 (7648 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Communication when you can't hear each other [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
"Reading" what a leader is doing by feel through the rope is very much a distinct technical skill in belaying that you can learn over time. By keeping just the slightest breath of tension on the rope with with your non-brake hand fingers you should be able to maintain a continuous 'connection' with the leader. Over time you can learn to understand both what the state of an out-of-sight leader is at any moment and also 'divine' (by feel) their likely next intent. This is obviously much, much easier to learn if you climb with a steady partner, but if you pay attention over a period of years you'll begin to learn basic patterns of behavior common to most folks on lead. And don't kid yourself, learning this takes explicit and continuous focus and concentration; apply yourself and learn it while leaders are visible and you're in a position to associate what you feel with what you see for the day when you can't see (and it's another excellent reason to STFUAB).

I'm so glad to see this so clearly expressed cause I really feel the truth in it. I've always been cool with being belay slave as I generally always find myself learning something new that has direct relevance to having a good time on the rock. Plus, it's really about my constant need for acceptance Wink I've realized, the kewl climbers climb with the good belayers!

In reply to:
Further on this subject and relative to ladyscarlett's experience, if you are the leader in this situation and you know you are going to force your belayer to simu-climb then you better do so with a sharp focus on the capabilities and pace of your belayer. I've seen too many instances where a leader was dragging some poor soul up a route in an involuntary simu-climb alternately jerking them up and leaving them wading in slack - don't be one of those assholes.

Heh, after more than one climb of surprise simu-climb, I asked my leader if he could just think about the fact that our paces were different. His response 'If you were better, it wouldn't be a problem'. Which is true in it's own way, but dayum!

Anyhow, thanks for sharing. Something I'll definitely take outside to field test!

Cheers

LS

ps - sorry for any quoting mistakes!

Partner rgold

Mar 2, 2011, 3:13 PM
Post #70 of 78 (7624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In my opinion, there are some rules about leader responsibility. The leader gets to decide on the level of risk they are prepared to deal with, at least up to the point when the second's life is threatened by the leader's actions. But the leader does not get to make risk decisions for the second; everything the leader does must protect the second as much as is possible in the circumstances.

If the leader runs out of rope (something that should happen once in a blue moon) the leader has massively screwed up but still has the responsibility for the party's safety. This means that, if at all possible, the leader should climb down to an anchor, rather than forcing the second into a simulclimbing situation. (Unless of course the party has anticipated this outcome and agreed on the simulclimbing solution.)

If a better more experienced climber is leading a less experienced climber, someone who, say, wouldn't lead the pitch in question, then forcing the second to simul climb, a situation where the strongest climber should be in the second second position, is verging on immoral. The leader got themselves into this mess and should get themselves out of it without making the second take risks they never signed on for.

If simulclimbing happens, it is, frankly, a pretty clueless leader who allows his or her pace to outrun the second's, because now the security of the party depends on the solidity of the second. And if, as Lady Scarlett mentions, this is something that has happened more than once, I'd say a different climbing partner is urgently needed---whatever motivations one has for getting better shouldn't include compensating for a partner's dangerous incompetence.

Partner robdotcalm

Mar 2, 2011, 4:01 PM
Post #71 of 78 (7612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In response to Lady Scarlett, Kachoong wrote,

In reply to:

Kachooon, you don't need to explain, we all understand.

I'm surprised by the many sensitive souls here whose experience is diminished if someone shouts out a command. Warning: don't climb within earshot of me.

All complicated Morse code type signalling with rope tugs and rope slackening has the potential to cause misunderstanding. My partners and I use only one rope command--3 tugs means the leader is on belay--but it is not to be interepreted dogmatically. It means the leader might be on belay as all the complications mentioned in this thread can lead to spuriously interpreted tugs.

Unexpected simul-climbing is not a sign of moral deficiency on the part of the leader. If one climbs on new routes in new areas that one is not familiar with, it will happen eventually. The leader and the belayer have to be competent enough to carefully work through the challenge.

Gratias et valete bene!
RobertusPunctumPacificus

ladyscarlett

Mar 2, 2011, 4:47 PM
Post #72 of 78 (7596 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] Communication when you can't hear each other [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robdotcalm wrote:
Unexpected simul-climbing is not a sign of moral deficiency on the part of the leader. If one climbs on new routes in new areas that one is not familiar with, it will happen eventually. The leader and the belayer have to be competent enough to carefully work through the challenge.

Gratias et valete bene!
RobertusPunctumPacificus

You're right there, often times leaders find themselves in a position that forces their second to simu-climb and it happens, especially when the pair is trying new stuff. I think the 'moral issue' comes up when the leader refuses to work through it WITH the second, taking into account pace, ability, speed, etc.

I'm still alive, and personally, I'm not emotionally shattered by being tugged up the while 'belaying'. I do know that I won't climb with that particular climber anymore, for a variety of reasons, his inability to work through situations in a team fashion being a huge part.

I don't mind simuclimbing, I don't mind moving the belay, I don't mind learning new ways of communicating when there is only rope and air between us. I mind the refusal to consider the other person/people on the rope in challenging situations.

But then again, I'm a weakling n00b with no rack, so I think I'm safe from self centered leaders!

cheers

ls

enigma

Mar 4, 2011, 8:53 AM
Post #73 of 78 (7509 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Communication when you can't hear each other [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
In my opinion, there are some rules about leader responsibility. The leader gets to decide on the level of risk they are prepared to deal with, at least up to the point when the second's life is threatened by the leader's actions. But the leader does not get to make risk decisions for the second; everything the leader does must protect the second as much as is possible in the circumstances.

If the leader runs out of rope (something that should happen once in a blue moon) the leader has massively screwed up but still has the responsibility for the party's safety. This means that, if at all possible, the leader should climb down to an anchor, rather than forcing the second into a simulclimbing situation. (Unless of course the party has anticipated this outcome and agreed on the simulclimbing solution.)

If a better more experienced climber is leading a less experienced climber, someone who, say, wouldn't lead the pitch in question, then forcing the second to simul climb, a situation where the strongest climber should be in the second second position, is verging on immoral. The leader got themselves into this mess and should get themselves out of it without making the second take risks they never signed on for.

If simulclimbing happens, it is, frankly, a pretty clueless leader who allows his or her pace to outrun the second's, because now the security of the party depends on the solidity of the second. And if, as Lady Scarlett mentions, this is something that has happened more than once, I'd say a different climbing partner is urgently needed---whatever motivations one has for getting better shouldn't include compensating for a partner's dangerous incompetence.

That is totally unbelievable, Lady Scarlett find other partners.
Its still seems like their are certain to be confusion with communication.
Since it is often that you can't hear or see one another. I think the best idea is to have certain what if happens rules.
Other than that I still have yet to find a solid plan of communication amongst the thread if you are out of hearing and seeing distance.
So each of us are on our own now equipped with some alternate means of communication.
Hopefully this will be helpful when the situation arises.
Please feel free to add any other clarifying information to the thread. thanks

enigma

Mar 4, 2011, 9:01 AM
Post #74 of 78 (7506 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sspssp] Communication when you can't hear each other [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sspssp wrote:
Once upon a time I used the rope tug method to signal off belay, but I have found it too problematic.

I am generally in the go light and fast crowd (I'll climb alpine using only one strand of a double, simul-climb etc.), but the pulling the rope up through the belay device is not that big of deal if both climbers have good and quick rope management skills and you can pull the rope up fairly quickly.

If my partner and I can't hear, the leader sets up the anchor, puts the person on belay, and pulls the rope up through the belay device. The second feeds the rope up through the belay device (taking the belay device off right before the rope comes tight).

A bit of a pain. However, the big upside, no is ever off belay. The second can start climbing the moment the rope comes tight and in the worst case scenerio we are simul-climbing.

To make it easier for the climber on top, they can pull the rope up using a hip belay and not put the belay device on until they think it has come tight on the second. This of course depends on having confidence with a hip belay and maintaning the hip belay while putting the belay device on.

This is a good method and have used it quite frequently.

rockie

Apr 11, 2011, 11:02 AM
Post #75 of 78 (7220 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Communication when you can't hear each other [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with what others have said on not using terms that sound the same.

Using a minimum number of terms not many.

I think I just use 'climbing' at the start, 'take', and I yell 'off belay' once at the top, and pretty much that is it.

If I can't hear the other climber I rely more on the pull of the rope, or slack of the rope, and it's true what others have said about getting familiar with the pattern of that.

As to pulling on the rope when a leader is climbing.. I do not want to climb with you, thanks but no thanks.

Oh, and I always make an agreement with who I am climbing with at the beginning, about the terms we are using to avoid any confusion or problems once climbing.

(This post was edited by rockie on Apr 11, 2011, 11:04 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook