No 14 / 30%
46 total votes

USnavy

Mar 5, 2011, 6:13 AM
Post #1 of 43 (17011 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by USnavy
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  

skiclimb

Mar 5, 2011, 6:34 AM
Post #2 of 43 (16994 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Do you remain tied in when you are sleeping on a portaledge?* [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

There are different opinions on this??

I could understand tying directly into the rope ..or just using the swami

but not tied in at all??

Whatever.. to each their own..

Although i'd be pissed if my partner took a sudden stage left exit and made me bring all the gear down by myself

(This post was edited by skiclimb on Mar 5, 2011, 6:38 AM)

USnavy

Mar 5, 2011, 7:31 AM
Post #3 of 43 (16978 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by USnavy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  

e_wire

Mar 5, 2011, 4:16 PM
Post #4 of 43 (16865 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Do you remain tied in when you are sleeping on a portaledge?* [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

??? Is this a joke? Of course you stay tied in, with your harness. A couple died around here about 10 years ago because they made errors tying their ledge. Thay also made the mistake of not being tied in. When the ledge riped in the middle of the night, they went flyeing to their death. Having been tied in, to a SEPERATE anchor would have prevented that. In any case, if your asking the question, you obviously lack the experience to go sleep on a ledge.

Partner camhead

Mar 5, 2011, 4:31 PM
Post #5 of 43 (16847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
Personally I stay tied in via a swami.

What Big Wall was this on?

kachoong

Mar 5, 2011, 6:02 PM
Post #6 of 43 (16792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it wasn't for your post history I might think this were a troll... are you seriously asking this question to see what others do or deciding what to do based on others? Also, "wrap the rope around you"...?? Like a noose or what?

potreroed

Mar 5, 2011, 6:51 PM
Post #7 of 43 (16771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stay tied in at all times and everything you own should have a tether so it can stay clipped in at all times.

Partner camhead

Mar 5, 2011, 7:00 PM
Post #8 of 43 (16767 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Do you remain tied in when you are sleeping on a portaledge?* [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, seriously, USN00b, you are plastering this site and supertopo with idiotic questions about ledges and wall climbing in general, so I'm going to humor you and answer this question (though I really haven't done that much wall climbing):

As has been said, always stay tied in. If you had spent any time on portaledges, you'd know that they're really not that stable, they shift, you could lose your balance and fall out. A lot of people, when they sleep, tie in with a swami loop around their waist like you said. I personally would just take off my leg loops and leave the waist of the harness on after I had gone to bed, for comfort's sake.

USnavy

Mar 5, 2011, 7:46 PM
Post #9 of 43 (16730 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Do you remain tied in when you are sleeping on a portaledge?* [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
Ok, seriously, USN00b, you are plastering this site and supertopo with idiotic questions about ledges and wall climbing in general, so I'm going to humor you and answer this question (though I really haven't done that much wall climbing):

As has been said, always stay tied in. If you had spent any time on portaledges, you'd know that they're really not that stable, they shift, you could lose your balance and fall out. A lot of people, when they sleep, tie in with a swami loop around their waist like you said. I personally would just take off my leg loops and leave the waist of the harness on after I had gone to bed, for comfort's sake.
Camhead, I know that ledges aren’t stable I own one (or did, I got rid of it to upgrade to one I will buy soon). I know you should always remain tied in, that’s extremely obvious to me. I did not ask this question to gain insight on the proper way to wall climb. I asked to see how others do it, whether that be the proper or improper way. I often ask questions to see what others’ opinions are, I very rarely ask questions to take the answer I receive into the field and start using it, climbing instruction is best given in person by someone qualified, not over the net. So call the question idiotic but I have heard more than one aid climber say they don’t stay tied in while sleeping for a verity of reasons, hints the reason why I polled everyone. I am interested in why some don’t remain tied in.

You can take my other idiotic Supertopo post about secondary harsh weather gear for example. Once again, I know you should always bring a bivy sack and other supplies to supplement your rain fly. However not everyone does. I have personally seen an AMGA Rock Guide certified guide not bring a bivy sack on the Nose because they had a fly and waterproof tarp and thus and felt it was unnecessary. I have also seen AMGA certified guides haul on a Pro Traxion without being tied in to the dynamic rope and without backing the device up. So if I ask rc.com if they remain tied in while hauling does that mean I don’t know the proper answer? No. That should be obvious, you should always be tied in with the dynamic rope while hauling, but a number of people don’t and sometimes I am curious as to the reason why people take additional risks. Sometimes there is a legitimist reason that has been overlooked, other times not.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Mar 5, 2011, 7:55 PM)

vegastradguy

Mar 5, 2011, 10:10 PM
Post #10 of 43 (16660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

id be more likely to believe you if you learned how to spell correctly.

Shroom

Mar 5, 2011, 10:14 PM
Post #11 of 43 (16657 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, you come across as a complete wall moron who is basing their reputation on being one of the tens of thousands of people who have managed to get up the world's most famous trade route. With the amount of gear you brought, it's amazing that you could move at all. http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=2469961#2469961 This makes you seem like a scared little wannabe who was afraid of failure and losing any amount of credibility you may have garnered from your non-climbing aquaintances.

You still never responded to Camhead's questions about what walls you have slept in a portaledge on. 25' up a Hawaiian chosspile doesn't count.

You seriously brought up a swami belt in addition to your standard harness?

Your initial post made it sound like you are looking for the most basic of beta in anticipation of using your alleged ledge for the first time, and your subsequent post makes it look like you are backpeddling and covering your ass, all the while carefully avoiding having to tell the truth.

Your constant stream of threads here and on other sites indicate that you read enough to be dangerous, yet can't comprehend the systems enough to implement them without being baby stepped along.

Add to the fact that you have multiple usernames on other forums, trying to isolate your cluelessness from any one on-line persona. I guess you thought that they were good for kicking sand on Adatesman though, right? Too bad you are only slightly more competent in the ways of the internet than you are as a wall noob.

jeffkash

Mar 5, 2011, 10:36 PM
Post #12 of 43 (16641 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Do you remain tied in when you are sleeping on a portaledge?* [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
id be more likely to believe you if you learned how to spell correctly.

Hahahahaha! Are you serious? Unsure

socalclimber

Mar 6, 2011, 12:01 AM
Post #13 of 43 (16586 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeffkash] Do you remain tied in when you are sleeping on a portaledge?* [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Uhhhh.... just stay tied in.

rocknice2

Mar 6, 2011, 1:58 AM
Post #14 of 43 (16505 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] Do you remain tied in when you are sleeping on a portaledge?* [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have woken up with my butt at the edge for the ledge and my legs dangling in the air. We wre camped out beneath a overhang,so the leages were not touching the wall. Any unbalance would tilt the ledge.

Always stay tied in. I do remove the legloops.

Navy your original post sounded like you were fishing for answer on how to prperly sleep on a ledge. I hope you corrected the guys who thought different

socalclimber

Mar 6, 2011, 4:05 AM
Post #15 of 43 (16444 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Do you remain tied in when you are sleeping on a portaledge?* [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
I have woken up with my butt at the edge for the ledge and my legs dangling in the air. We wre camped out beneath a overhang,so the leages were not touching the wall. Any unbalance would tilt the ledge.

Always stay tied in. I do remove the legloops.

Navy your original post sounded like you were fishing for answer on how to prperly sleep on a ledge. I hope you corrected the guys who thought different

Well put!

summerprophet

Mar 6, 2011, 4:07 AM
Post #16 of 43 (16440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here are options, and different things I and my partners have done.

i. tied in with harness
safest (obviously)
This is how I sleep, especially when I am bagged after a long day on the wall.

ii. tied in with harness, no leg loops
particularly if you sleep on your stomach, or if you are a fussy sleeper. More comfortable, as you dont have tie in loops and knots pressing against your bag.

iii. sling around waist, tied in
as above, even less safe, even more comfortable (maybe?) never tried by me personally

iv. in bivy bag, bivy tied in, climber not
..... not my cup of tea, keep four leaf clovers, and horseshoes nearby.

v. clove hitch around ankle
..... I think I would rather fall to my death

vi. No tie in at all
..... self explanitory.... yer fuct

sp115

Mar 6, 2011, 3:02 PM
Post #17 of 43 (16342 views)
Shortcut

Re: [summerprophet] Do you remain tied in when you are sleeping on a portaledge?* [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

summerprophet wrote:
v. clove hitch around ankle
..... I think I would rather fall to my death

Heh, heh.

bearbreeder

Mar 6, 2011, 4:53 PM
Post #18 of 43 (16305 views)
Shortcut

Re: [summerprophet] Do you remain tied in when you are sleeping on a portaledge?* [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the important question is how to have sex with yr harness on .... on a ledge ...

coastal_climber

Mar 6, 2011, 5:27 PM
Post #19 of 43 (16281 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Do you remain tied in when you are sleeping on a portaledge?* [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
the important question is how to have sex with yr harness on .... on a ledge ...

wtf is with this question?

summerprophet

Mar 6, 2011, 5:44 PM
Post #20 of 43 (16272 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Do you remain tied in when you are sleeping on a portaledge?* [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
Honestly, this is a question that shows you have never done walls.

When you finally climb all day, and arrive at a place to set up a ledge, your entire body is covered in sweat , grime and grease. There is positively NOTHING sexy about wall climbers beyond the first day.
While most males I know would still be willing, despite the smell, the exhaustion, and the fact you partner is in the shape as you are..... the women are considerably more picky.

MS1

Mar 6, 2011, 7:06 PM
Post #21 of 43 (16243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

summerprophet wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:

When you finally climb all day, and arrive at a place to set up a ledge, your entire body is covered in sweat , grime and grease. There is positively NOTHING sexy about wall climbers beyond the first day.
While most males I know would still be willing, despite the smell, the exhaustion, and the fact you partner is in the shape as you are..... the women are considerably more picky.

Why do you assume a person named "bearbreeder" necessarily requires the presence of a female to get busy?

Partner xtrmecat

Mar 6, 2011, 11:40 PM
Post #22 of 43 (16145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

summerprophet wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:

Plus one on all points here.

USnooby, I am personally calling you out. Find one person who actually has slept on a wall without tying in. I am sure there exists such a creature, but being as rare as it would be, I doubt you have conversed with said fearless dumbass. Post the particulars, you know, name, route, year, or better yet, invite him to this thread to out himself.

I doubt anything will ever be presented as evidence, just more fishing for beta via the wierdest line of questioning I have ever witnessed outside of a bar room.

Burly Bob

Oh yea, I always drop my leg loops if I have enough energy.

USnavy

Mar 7, 2011, 12:50 AM
Post #23 of 43 (16106 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xtrmecat] Do you remain tied in when you are sleeping on a portaledge?* [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

xtrmecat wrote:
summerprophet wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:

Find one person who actually has slept on a wall without tying in.
How about the three who voted no in my poll?

jbro_135

Mar 7, 2011, 12:50 AM
Post #24 of 43 (16104 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xtrmecat] Do you remain tied in when you are sleeping on a portaledge?* [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

xtrmecat wrote:
summerprophet wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:

Plus one on all points here.

USnooby, I am personally calling you out. Find one person who actually has slept on a wall without tying in. I am sure there exists such a creature, but being as rare as it would be, I doubt you have conversed with said fearless dumbass. Post the particulars, you know, name, route, year, or better yet, invite him to this thread to out himself.

I doubt anything will ever be presented as evidence, just more fishing for beta via the wierdest line of questioning I have ever witnessed outside of a bar room.

Burly Bob

Oh yea, I always drop my leg loops if I have enough energy.

But obviously you don't need to tie in if the thin nylon fly is up and keeping you safe from death

edge

Mar 7, 2011, 2:11 AM
Post #25 of 43 (16070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
xtrmecat wrote:
summerprophet wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:

Find one person who actually has slept on a wall without tying in.
How about the three who voted no in my poll?

Those are the people who would have voted "Pancakes!" had you included it.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook