RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

Masterkush

Mar 10, 2011, 8:50 AM
Post #1 of 11 (7900 views)
Shortcut

want to start slacklining
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What do i need? How much am i looking at cost? I no nothing of this sport and really wanna start doing it when im not out climbing.

jbro_135

Mar 10, 2011, 5:26 PM
Post #2 of 11 (7865 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Masterkush] want to start slacklining [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

a piece of webbing and some biners

Sling two trees and a clip a biner to each of the slings. Attach the end of your webbing to one of the biners. Clip another biner to an overhand on a bight in the webbing about 3/4 of the way to the other tree. Rig a 3-1 between the two biners with the tail of your webbing. Tighten (use friends or vehicle or a system with more mechanical advantage for longer lines) and enjoy.

for a better explanation, probably with pictures, try typing "how to rig a slackline" into google.

Rudmin

Mar 10, 2011, 6:25 PM
Post #3 of 11 (7852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Simplest version I know of requires to biners and two pieces of webbing. Total cost of around $20 to $30:

Cut one piece of webbing to about 3 meters, depending on tree diameter. Leave the other piece as long as you want. Tie a figure eight or overhand on a bight on each end of the short piece. Tie a figure eight or overhand on a bight on only one end of your long webbing.

Sling the short piece around one tree and clip the ends together with a biner. Hitch the long piece through itself around the other tree and flatten out the webbing to your first tree.

Find a spot about 10% to 15% of the length of your line from that first biner and clove hitch your second biner there. With the rest of the strap you want to pass around each biner twice, with the second wrap going below the first biner. This creates an autolock with a pulley advantage. Pull on the free end to tighten it, let go and it stays there. You can tie it off to itself for added security if you want.

You can get it pretty tight up to around 8 meters with one person. Add more people for longer lines.

There is a trick to undoing the clove hitch on a biner. Grab one end of the webbing and use it as a lever handle to pull on the other side of webbing. A few back and forthes like this will release any clove hitch.

Masterkush

Mar 11, 2011, 12:30 AM
Post #4 of 11 (7825 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rudmin] want to start slacklining [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

thanks for the help but you guys are speaking spanish to me haha ill try looking for some vids on youtube and google

areyoumydude

Mar 13, 2011, 5:15 PM
Post #5 of 11 (7761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Masterkush wrote:
thanks for the help but you guys are speaking spanish to me haha ill try looking for some vids on youtube and google

Check out http://slackline.com

jbro_135

Mar 16, 2011, 1:20 AM
Post #6 of 11 (7702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Here is a majid pic of a slackline. Black is your tree/bolts/whatever object you anchor to. Red is a sling wrapped around the tree and clipped with a biner (biners are the blue ovals...).

Going from left to right, the green line is your webbing attached to the first biner by a clove hitch, some other knot, or a line locker. The biner in the middle is clipped to an overhand on a bight in the line.

The complicated looking arrangement at the right end of the line is your 3:1 pulley system. The line goes up through the biner at the anchor, down through the biner in the middle of the line, and then up through the biner at the anchor again, inside the first loop of webbing. When you pull on the end of the line the loop of webbing over the top of the other will trap it and keep tension in the line.

Hopefully this was more clear but probably not. Check out the websites that other people posted for clarity or just find someone who knows what they're doing to show you.
Attachments: slackline setup.jpg (27.2 KB)

grock52

Mar 19, 2011, 8:05 PM
Post #7 of 11 (7599 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbro_135] want to start slacklining [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i bought a 25' ratchet strap from wal-mart. it works great and is super easy to set up. its basically the same thing that gibbon sells for about 75 bucks but costs less than 20. i throw some webbing around a couple of trees, hook the strap, and ratchet the system tight. it takes two minutes to set up. also, as a safety precaution since i only use my old webbing, i tie a piece of rope or webbing around the tree and tie it to the metal parts of the system so if my webbing breaks the metal parts don't fly towards me. this has never happened but i tend to be overly cautious.

(This post was edited by grock52 on Mar 19, 2011, 8:07 PM)

yodadave

Mar 19, 2011, 8:25 PM
Post #8 of 11 (7590 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its important to note that whatever biners and webbing you use should not get mixed back in with your climbing gear as the forces generated slacking are considerable

Masterkush

Mar 20, 2011, 9:16 AM
Post #9 of 11 (7553 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yodadave] want to start slacklining [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ive actually had my line set up for a while now, thanks for the feedback though. I bought 75 feet of webbing, 4 biners and 2 rappel rings and just use a primitive system between a 30 ft distance in front of my house

Jmus

Apr 24, 2011, 12:39 PM
Post #10 of 11 (7211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

idk how much climbing you do and if you have your own gear but i have heard that because of the crazy forces you put on your gear while slack lining you shouldnt use it for climbing also. i believe it and id rather not risk using it for climbing.. its something to think about haha

Masterkush

Apr 24, 2011, 6:26 PM
Post #11 of 11 (7190 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jmus] want to start slacklining [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jmus wrote:
idk how much climbing you do and if you have your own gear but i have heard that because of the crazy forces you put on your gear while slack lining you shouldnt use it for climbing also. i believe it and id rather not risk using it for climbing.. its something to think about haha
i do lots of climbing and yes, hopefully everyone knows to never use your slackline gear for climbing, but thanks

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook