RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

jmlangford

Nov 16, 2002, 5:49 AM
Post #1 of 22 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Rc.com Coders Are Appreciated!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I don't know who all the coders are but Khanom(Eric), jabbeaux(Tim) do tons of work around here.I know that the feedback they get is usually, "fix this" or "fix that", etc. (I am guilty of this from time to time). The purpose of this thread is to give thanks to them and for you to name other ones I haven't mentioned.

THANK YOU!!!

sharmagod

Nov 18, 2002, 2:18 AM
Post #2 of 22 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Rc.com Coders Are Appreciated! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I totally agree....big part on why this site is as great as it is.Keep up the great work!!!

Jason

hishopper

Nov 18, 2002, 2:23 AM
Post #3 of 22 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second.. (or third).
I hope they all know the value the actually add to people's lives by doing this RC.com "thing".

bretterick

Nov 18, 2002, 4:03 AM
Post #4 of 22 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, that wasnt cool. Hmmmm, musta been jealous.
I know how hard it is to run this large of a site. You guys do very well, thanks for the site, it is a great resource!!!!!

Partner coldclimb

Nov 18, 2002, 4:51 AM
Post #5 of 22 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm still a bit stumped about how one can be dumber that a bag of hair. That's about as dumb as it gets, and bags of hair have never been able to program.

This site is an awesome demonstration of skill with web languages. Anyone who can build or run something like this has my utmost respect as a webmaster. Thanks a lot for your work guys, and keep it up.

jmlangford

Nov 19, 2002, 6:19 AM
Post #6 of 22 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Someone want to clue me in on what the last two posts were referring to? Obviously they were responding to a post that has since been deleted.

climbsomething

Nov 19, 2002, 6:35 AM
Post #7 of 22 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, whatever the drama was...

Yep, leave it to Jody to start a thank-you thread He likes to do those nicey nice things

I have no doubt that coding for this site is a (mostly) thankless task. I wouldn't even want to understand it all! But I am glad somebody does, so I may continue my internet fun and frolick in peace

sharmagod

Dec 4, 2002, 2:34 AM
Post #8 of 22 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would like to thank khanom (Eric Braswell) for the work he has done with the photo gallery....and anyone else who may have helped.It looks awesome!!!

Jason

wv5ten

Dec 4, 2002, 2:45 AM
Post #9 of 22 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

way to go coders, i work with php myself and i know how frustrating and hard it can be.
also thank you to ALL rc.com admin. Thanks everyone for the hard work!!

katydid

Dec 29, 2002, 9:26 AM
Post #10 of 22 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just wanted to pop this up, as I have been watching Tim and Eric create some amazingly cool stuff lately.

Thanks, guys. You rock.

Kate

Partner rrrADAM

Dec 29, 2002, 9:48 AM
Post #11 of 22 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They are working very hard, and spending countless hours doing this for the benifit of all here. They deserve much praise.

crack_head

Dec 29, 2002, 2:12 PM
Post #12 of 22 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks

totigers

Dec 29, 2002, 2:41 PM
Post #13 of 22 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Because of this site, I've met some very nice people as well as climbed some stuff that I haven't read about.
So thanks for all your hard work in keeping this up.

Partner calamity_chk

Dec 29, 2002, 3:00 PM
Post #14 of 22 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mods, developers, and Admins alike have my utmost respect ..

passthepitonspete

Dec 29, 2002, 4:10 PM
Post #15 of 22 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kudos to whomever:

Tidied up the PMs

Put those really cool "this photo approved" notice into the PMs

Put the Who's Online into alphabetical order

Thanks! Excellent!

I am still in desperate need of help sorting photos on the El Cap page!

In case you wonder what I've been doing around here, I spent about thirty hours making an index to Dr. Piton stuff. It helps when you can find stuff, eh?

Partner cliffhanger9

Dec 29, 2002, 4:29 PM
Post #16 of 22 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

amen!
rock on!!

Partner tim

Dec 29, 2002, 5:15 PM
Post #17 of 22 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good job, Pete!

You want that index automatically hyperlinked-to whenever someone posts about the Better Way, or just when someone says 'look at the Index of Dr. Piton Stuff', or ...

Some of the code I wrote deals with that kind of stuff, eg. making sure that those kinds of posts 'answer themselves' by getting hyperlinked automatically to either threads, searches, FAQ items, or legal documents. Same thing for user policies, I'll put in a mutable (eg. changeable, if the policies change) item for what basis points are awarded upon, etc.

Partner tim

Dec 29, 2002, 5:33 PM
Post #18 of 22 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

By the way...

I got the impression that a lot of people think I was 'proud of running off Jody'. As this thread, his many photos, his many contributions, and his recruitment of guys like John Gill to enliven the site show, there is nothing to be proud of when you tell someone who you respect, that they should reconsider their behavior. I would love to see Jody back on the site, although I do not feel like I was wrong to express my displeasure with his occasional gaffe (just as many other users did, and in the same capacity, person-to-person... maybe I should have kept it private, I'll have to live with that mistake). Nonetheless, I think Jody was (is) a tremendous person who simply made a mistake and have nothing but admiration for 99% of the things he did on site. He was a genuinely nice (albeit terrifically conservative) person and the more hateful, b.com'esque crowd that has moved in and become entrenched only serves to highlight why I (and maybe other mods/admins who spoke out) should perhaps have been more discreet. It was unpleasant for me to say what I did to Jody, even though at the time, I felt like it was very necessary (as did the other mods, admins, and owners who spoke out). But it was a PR disaster, even though we avoided censoring anyone.

It is starting to dawn on me (and probably a lot of other people) that I'm not any good at being an admin. Hopefully the longtime users of the site who want to see it get better again, will step up and talk to Adam, Trevor, or Jared, maybe offer to help as an admin, or just be something other than the PR disaster that I am. I'm pretty good at writing code, but I'm terrible at public policy, so I'm going to stick to the former and hope that some people are inclined to do the latter.

I'll still be around, writing code and looking for people who want to climb the same things that I do, but I'm only going to be an admin in terms of my ability to write and test code that the other admins use to manage the site. Eric does something like this and gets code written more quickly because of it, so I figure it's the best thing for me to do. I don't want to be part of the problem(s) that are driving people away from rc.com; I'd much rather write code to facilitate the solution. Thanks for the support and constructive criticism from people who have helped me decide this,

--tim

Partner tim

Dec 29, 2002, 6:10 PM
Post #19 of 22 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, already found and fixed a bug.

Let's see...

Yeah, I arbitrarily selected some mods to edit sections of the auto-FAQ that were most relevant to them (eg Katydid for the moderator handbook, Jared for the rc.com legales, and so on). But I'm working on a friendly administrative screen and some documentation so that any admin (not just the active ones ) can help rotate in new editors when existing ones burn out, appoint secondary editors as necessary (to work as a team), etc. I figured it would limit the amount of chaos if there was a clear Senior editor and then an optional henchman for each category.

But yeah, people are working on that stuff, and if (for example) you wanted to help with auto-hyperlinking of useful threads, I'd be happy to put you on the job. Matt (PushTheExtreme) is currently in charge of that section and he's already said he could use some help.

You don't have to be a mod or an admin to edit a section, just a not-too-new user who the owners can trust to do a good job, and someone who wants to try it out. It's kind of fun, the thing isn't thoroughly documented so there are all sorts of curious side effects :-)

Partner tim

Dec 29, 2002, 6:34 PM
Post #20 of 22 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I've been playing with some code (see

http://flaver.com/treemenu/ for example)

that would allow for a collapsing/expanding tree of forums, routes db locations, etc. and I could always 'color' the nodes (mark them) as 'mostly bull$#!&, unmoderated to a degree' or 'core, useful, linked-to'.

I'll look into that and will tell Matt I'd like to make you an editor for Threads, should progress quickly. You could PM him too, I'm hoping that people will work together on this.

Partner calamity_chk

Dec 29, 2002, 7:17 PM
Post #21 of 22 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tim,

Nicely stated. Kudos for taking a stand.

lox

Dec 29, 2002, 10:17 PM
Post #22 of 22 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I AM ON A ROUGHSTER INSPIRED RAMPAGE OUTSIDE THE COMMUNITY FORUM !!!! FEEBACK BEWARE !!!!11

I JUST WANTED TO SPAM THIS THREAD TO SAY THAT I THINK TIM IS DOING A GREAT JOB WITH THE IMPROVEMENT AROUND THE PLACE. YOU ROCK MAN, REALLY.

THANKS FOR EVERYTHING °!!!!111

I AM GOING CRAZY WITH GRATITUDE !!!!1111

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook