RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

hoyaguy

Mar 15, 2011, 11:33 AM
Post #1 of 4 (6391 views)
Shortcut

Accident at Red Rocks 3/12?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

On Saturday March 12 my partner and I observed two rescue helicopters and several rescue vehicles by the highway at Red Rocks. The next morning (ie, Sunday March 13) we were the first party up on the Dark Shadows route and discovered the following:

1) a broken yellow gear sling, looked like from a C4;

2) two ropes knotted together and slung through the belay rings at the third belay, with one end of the joined rope coiled at the second belay and the other knotted and about halfway between the second and third belays.

Can anyone provide information on whether this was an accident site?

Also, if the climber(s) or their family or friends would like to retrieve the ropes, pm me and identify the color and sizes of the ropes and I will put you in touch with my partner in Las Vegas who is holding them.

I hope this was not an accident but if it was I am hoping for the best for the climbers and their families.

Hoyaguy

(This post was edited by hoyaguy on Mar 15, 2011, 11:42 AM)

csproul

Mar 18, 2011, 5:51 PM
Post #2 of 4 (6151 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hoyaguy] Accident at Red Rocks 3/12? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hoyaguy wrote:
On Saturday March 12 my partner and I observed two rescue helicopters and several rescue vehicles by the highway at Red Rocks. The next morning (ie, Sunday March 13) we were the first party up on the Dark Shadows route and discovered the following:

1) a broken yellow gear sling, looked like from a C4;

2) two ropes knotted together and slung through the belay rings at the third belay, with one end of the joined rope coiled at the second belay and the other knotted and about halfway between the second and third belays.

Can anyone provide information on whether this was an accident site?

Also, if the climber(s) or their family or friends would like to retrieve the ropes, pm me and identify the color and sizes of the ropes and I will put you in touch with my partner in Las Vegas who is holding them.

I hope this was not an accident but if it was I am hoping for the best for the climbers and their families.

Hoyaguy
Is this it?

http://mountainproject.com/..._canyon_nv/107070646

hoyaguy

Mar 18, 2011, 7:43 PM
Post #3 of 4 (6070 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Accident at Red Rocks 3/12? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, I expect the ropes we found must be related in some way to the accident reported on Mountain Project. Thanks for making the connection and passing along the links in both directions.

As noted, we also found a broken yellow gear sling, so perhaps this also played a role. We left the gear sling at the climbing store on Charleston Ave., where one of the owners (Mike) put it on a memorial shelf they have there. We did not see (or actively look for) any piece of gear to which the sling could have been attached, but perhaps someone else has or will come across this, which might shed light on the cause of the accident.

Best wishes for a full recovery by the climber.

Hoyaguy

Marie-Helene

Mar 21, 2011, 5:05 PM
Post #4 of 4 (5786 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hoyaguy] Accident at Red Rocks 3/12? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi!
I am one of the person who help the injured climber.
For the cause of the accident, I don't think it's related to a broken gear. We had to cut some gears because he was landing on them, so it may be the explanation for the broken one you found.

For the ropes, we had to rappell in the dark and they got stuck when we pull them at the second belay. One is mine, and the other belongs to the injured climber. Please send me an e-mail and I will give you the details and we can organise for shipping : tootieger [at] hotmail [dot] com

Thanks to everyone who helped during this accident.
And thank you for bringning our ropes back.

Marie-Helene

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook