Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Partner camhead

Mar 17, 2011, 2:51 PM
Post #26 of 53 (3237 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] How high [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
Ill assume you were genuinely interested their.

I put my harness on, tie in a 1m length rope and then up/down climb for 45 min, 3 sets. The 1M length is to clip on the way up and down just like in a lead (minus the down part). Mock me all you want Crazy No rope drag, but it forces the body posistions unique in leading, extra hand load and clip training.

Traversing is just not the same. I cant get away with using that as a means to train endurance anymore. I would love to have a partner who can find the time to climb as much as i can so that i don't need to do such things.. but i would also love to win the lottery as well.

that's ridiculous, and could quite likely injure you.

uni_jim

Mar 17, 2011, 2:53 PM
Post #27 of 53 (3237 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Pres] How high [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Pres wrote:
at what point would you need to start using a belay system?quote]

It has nothing to do with how high I am, and everything to do with how likely I am to fall.

ceebo

Mar 17, 2011, 3:04 PM
Post #28 of 53 (3231 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] How high [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
ceebo wrote:

I put my harness on, tie in a 1m length rope and then up/down climb for 45 min, 3 sets. The 1M length is to clip on the way up and down just like in a lead (minus the down part). Mock me all you want Crazy No rope drag, but it forces the body posistions unique in leading, extra hand load and clip training.

Traversing is just not the same. I cant get away with using that as a means to train endurance anymore. I would love to have a partner who can find the time to climb as much as i can so that i don't need to do such things.. but i would also love to win the lottery as well.

I could write about thousands of every day common situations that are even more so, yet strangely accepted even though we have far less control over them. But it would be easier on my spell check program to just agree with you.

Pres

Mar 17, 2011, 3:34 PM
Post #29 of 53 (3219 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DAMN!! This is a good watch!
Dean Potter

gmggg

Mar 17, 2011, 5:09 PM
Post #30 of 53 (3195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
ceebo wrote:

+1, not safe at all.

Get an auto belay or a treadwall. You can still trail a rope and make clips if that's your fancy.

And I thought that you meant that you were doing endurance training for free soloing. Not free soloing for endurance training.

That's just a bad idea all around.

ceebo

Mar 17, 2011, 10:35 PM
Post #31 of 53 (3174 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] How high [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
camhead wrote:
ceebo wrote:

+1, not safe at all.

Get an auto belay or a treadwall. You can still trail a rope and make clips if that's your fancy.

And I thought that you meant that you were doing endurance training for free soloing. Not free soloing for endurance training.

My fancy is to not allow auto belays to unavoidably suck up the work on body tension, or get use to half arse dynamics on a falling wall. But that is my opinion. Im sure they both offer safe alternitives.

Partner camhead

Mar 17, 2011, 10:41 PM
Post #32 of 53 (3173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
gmggg wrote:
camhead wrote:
ceebo wrote:

+1, not safe at all.

My fancy is to not allow auto belays to unavoidably suck up the work on body tension, or get use to half arse dynamics on a falling wall. But that is my opinion. Im sure they both offer safe alternitives.

well, it's good to see you pushing the frontiers of indoor climbing. Truly a Potter-esque innovator you are.

ceebo

Mar 18, 2011, 12:03 AM
Post #33 of 53 (3153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
ceebo wrote:
gmggg wrote:
camhead wrote:
ceebo wrote:

+1, not safe at all.

well, it's good to see you pushing the frontiers of indoor climbing. Truly a Potter-esque innovator you are.

Just doing my part.

Pres

Mar 18, 2011, 1:05 PM
Post #34 of 53 (3095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Who are the top climbers today?

gmggg

Mar 18, 2011, 1:19 PM
Post #35 of 53 (3088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
gmggg wrote:
camhead wrote:
ceebo wrote:

+1, not safe at all.

What kind of auto belays do you have available?

Partner cracklover

Mar 18, 2011, 3:28 PM
Post #36 of 53 (3071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
ceebo wrote:
gmggg wrote:
camhead wrote:
ceebo wrote:

+1, not safe at all.

Wait a minute, this is *indoor*? Oh. My. God.

GO

spikeddem

Mar 18, 2011, 4:29 PM
Post #37 of 53 (3053 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Pres] How high [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

(This post was edited by spikeddem on Mar 18, 2011, 4:47 PM)

spikeddem

Mar 18, 2011, 4:35 PM
Post #38 of 53 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:

Maybe you can't find partners, because your rope is only one meter long.

Or, perhaps you can't find partners, because you walk around with a meter of rope tied to your harness. Honestly, that's even worse than people bouldering with their harnesses on, no joke. I'm thinking about going so far as to say that it's even gumbier-looking than people bouldering with their harnesses and a full rack of triples on it. Plus a PAS. Yep, pretty sure it is.

*Plonk*

ceebo

Mar 18, 2011, 5:20 PM
Post #39 of 53 (3040 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] How high [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Wait a minute, this is *indoor*? Oh. My. God

The only time i have free climbed outdoor.. i was a kid and we use to scale the cliff faces at the beach on Saturdays. We would try to find bird nests to steal eggs.

I remember we use to go to the arcades after and always end up spending are bus fare. Then trying to bump the 2 pence machines. We usually got caught and thrown out by the owner, then having to jump the metro again.

The owner was one scary looking fucker, he had a false eye that was just pure grey.. and he never showed any kind of facial emotion.

Sorry, I'm talking random irrelevant shit now but what can i say.. your contagious.

(This post was edited by ceebo on Mar 18, 2011, 5:23 PM)

ceebo

Mar 18, 2011, 5:21 PM
Post #40 of 53 (3039 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] How high [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
ceebo wrote:

Or, perhaps you can't find partners, because you walk around with a meter of rope tied to your harness. Honestly, that's even worse than people bouldering with their harnesses on, no joke. I'm thinking about going so far as to say that it's even gumbier-looking than people bouldering with their harnesses and a full rack of triples on it. Plus a PAS. Yep, pretty sure it is.

*Plonk*

Wow, you dont come off as being narrow minded one bit.

spikeddem

Mar 18, 2011, 5:28 PM
Post #41 of 53 (3035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
ceebo wrote:

*Plonk*

Forgot to *plonk*.

Please tell me you're actually doing the full rack, harness, and one meter rope thing on a steep bouldering wall that has draws in t-nuts. I'd Paypal you $5, maybe $10, for a picture of that.

Moreover, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with such an activity. I just think it's insanely dorky. I mean, I'm a hell of a dorky guy, so I'm right there with you.

ceebo

Mar 18, 2011, 6:33 PM
Post #42 of 53 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
ceebo wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
ceebo wrote:

*Plonk*

Forgot to *plonk*.

Please tell me you're actually doing the full rack, harness, and one meter rope thing on a steep bouldering wall that has draws in t-nuts. I'd Paypal you $5, maybe $10, for a picture of that.

Moreover, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with such an activity. I just think it's insanely dorky. I mean, I'm a hell of a dorky guy, so I'm right there with you.

Not far off.

I use 25 foot walls and since its free climbing i can up/down climb a wall, then traverse to the next wall and up/down climb that as well without the need to touch the floor or tie in. 25 foot is small, so being able to get a variety of the walls done in my 45 min duration is really nice. The walls are already bolted with fixed draws. But i like your ''dorky'' vision.

I would ask you to TR once next time you climb (since i assume you would not be willing to free it) and then use the 1M length. At Least then you could comment on its lead training effect, or shall we ignore all its other benefits simply for it has no rope drag? sure, go for it. But i get the feeling you have too much pride anyway.. and you probably will never be in a circumstance where you have to resort to such things so whats the use?.

Its easier just to dismiss it, which is fine.. but you had to be a cock in the process.

Partner cracklover

Mar 18, 2011, 7:05 PM
Post #43 of 53 (3009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
Sorry, I'm talking random irrelevant shit now but what can i say.. your contagious.

I'm contagious? How is responding directly to what you said in your post "random irrelevant shit"? You didn't catch it from me, lol!

BTW, I've soloed in the gym before. When no-one was looking I did a quick lap on the hand crack. Not my brightest move ever, but only because I'd be bummed if they caught me and revoked my priv's or something.

Oh, and I'm not convinced that the idea of free-soloing to get a good workout in is such a terrible idea, if you're very experienced, and have a circuit you're comfortable with. NOTE - NOT FOR BEGINNERS. But in the gym? And with some kind of clippy thing? Ridiculous.

GO

ceebo

Mar 18, 2011, 8:52 PM
Post #44 of 53 (2992 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] How high [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
ceebo wrote:

I'm contagious? How is responding directly to what you said in your post "random irrelevant shit"? You didn't catch it from me, lol!

BTW, I've soloed in the gym before. When no-one was looking I did a quick lap on the hand crack. Not my brightest move ever, but only because I'd be bummed if they caught me and revoked my priv's or something.

Oh, and I'm not convinced that the idea of free-soloing to get a good workout in is such a terrible idea, if you're very experienced, and have a circuit you're comfortable with. NOTE - NOT FOR BEGINNERS. But in the gym? And with some kind of clippy thing? Ridiculous.

GO

Unless you would like to elaborate on the need to emphasise ''indoor'' then yes, irrelevant.

I am really struggling to understand your mentality. It appears you find it ridiculous to free solo (And from 25 foot, can we even call it that?) in a gym, even though you admit to doing it yourself. You just make no sense what so ever.. or was coming across as hypocritical your intended purpose.

But ''clippy thing''?, that clearly shows you have no idea what I'm talking about. So with that, why do you think you are in a position to put it down?. I surely don't mind a difference of opinion, but at least from a person who knows what their talking about. Its not like your asking a question ''what is it''.. your just saying ''fuck do i care its just wrong''. Pure ignorance.

spikeddem

Mar 18, 2011, 8:55 PM
Post #45 of 53 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
cracklover wrote:
ceebo wrote:

GO

Unless you would like to elaborate on the need to emphasise ''indoor'' then yes, irrelevant.

I am really struggling to understand your mentality. It appears you find it ridiculous to free solo (And from 25 foot, can we even call it that?) in a gym, even though you admit to doing it yourself. You just make no sense what so ever.. or was coming across as hypocritical your intended purpose.

But ''clippy thing''?, that clearly shows you have no idea what I'm talking about. So with that, why do you think you are in a position to put it down?. I surely don't mind a difference of opinion, but at least from a person who knows what their talking about. Its not like your asking a question ''what is it''.. your just saying ''fuck do i care its just wrong''. Pure ignorance.

Now that I'm home--where you're not killfiled--I have a question. Why the hell would you ever post advice involving free soloing in the beginner forum?

olderic

Mar 18, 2011, 9:06 PM
Post #46 of 53 (2979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
cracklover wrote:
ceebo wrote:

GO

Allow me to mediate. I (and I think Gabe also assumes this) assume that what you are doing is not actually free soloing but what amounts to a variation of roped soloing - where you clip your self into something fixed (presumably a bolt in the wall) to give yourself temporary protection while you are going up or down past a tricky part. Once past you unclip and maybe clip the next. If you had 2 tethers for clipping you could be protected (as long as the single bolt doesn't fail) for much of the time. This technique is SOP for many experienced climbers on long solo climbs outdoors. But if I am correct in understanding what you are doing it does seem pretty ridiculous in a gym. Surprising that if it is a public commercial gym that it is allowed.

ceebo

Mar 18, 2011, 9:12 PM
Post #47 of 53 (2978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Read my first post, i never said anything of the sort. It was the likes of you who turned it into something it did not need to be. Should you be kill filed for assuming all beginners are robotic sheep programed to follow me in jumping off a cliff?. Hell i would love to think i was influential enough to over rule thousands of years of primal instinct.

Olderec

I had considered that but no. I have a basic loop knot in 1 end, i clip this and clip it to my harness (saves tie and untie time). The meter length then runs down to the floor. Climb the wall, get to first clip.. pull the rope up and clip it in just like in a normal lead. I get near 2nd clip, pull rope.. it slides up through and out 1st clip. Clip second clip and continue.

The danger to me was different, i would rather fall 25 foot, really it is 20 foot from foot height not hand height. To fall possibly fall 1M or so onto a short dynamic rope (might as well be static at this point) that was clipped into a bolt like you described.. the likely hood of a back brake or lash seems far greater danger than landing on my feet from 20 foot. It is endurance, i pick routes that will not put me in a severe horizontal position.. if slipping here i may not right myself before hitting the floor.

Yes obviously when those people are talking about thousand foot falls, it is a different ball game.. it is risking a possible back injury over risking death. So clipping to a bolt is logical.

(This post was edited by ceebo on Mar 18, 2011, 10:00 PM)

Partner cracklover

Mar 18, 2011, 10:02 PM
Post #48 of 53 (2962 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] How high [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
ceebo wrote:
cracklover wrote:
ceebo wrote:

GO

Allow me to mediate. I (and I think Gabe also assumes this) assume that what you are doing is not actually free soloing but what amounts to a variation of roped soloing - where you clip your self into something fixed (presumably a bolt in the wall) to give yourself temporary protection while you are going up or down past a tricky part. Once past you unclip and maybe clip the next. If you had 2 tethers for clipping you could be protected (as long as the single bolt doesn't fail) for much of the time. This technique is SOP for many experienced climbers on long solo climbs outdoors. But if I am correct in understanding what you are doing it does seem pretty ridiculous in a gym. Surprising that if it is a public commercial gym that it is allowed.

Bingo

GO

Partner cracklover

Mar 18, 2011, 10:06 PM
Post #49 of 53 (2961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
Read my first post, i never said anything of the sort. It was the likes of you who turned it into something it did not need to be. Should you be kill filed for assuming all beginners are robotic sheep programed to follow me in jumping off a cliff?. Hell i would love to think i was influential enough to over rule thousands of years of primal instinct.

Olderec

I had considered that but no. I have a basic loop knot in 1 end, i clip this and clip it to my harness (saves tie and untie time). The meter length then runs down to the floor. Climb the wall, get to first clip.. pull the rope up and clip it in just like in a normal lead. I get near 2nd clip, pull rope.. it slides up through and out 1st clip. Clip second clip and continue.

The danger to me was different, i would rather fall 25 foot, really it is 20 foot from foot height not hand height. To fall possibly fall 1M or so onto a short dynamic rope (might as well be static at this point) that was clipped into a bolt like you described.. the likely hood of a back brake or lash seems far greater danger than landing on my feet from 20 foot. It is endurance, i pick routes that will not put me in a severe horizontal position.. if slipping here i may not right myself before hitting the floor.

Yes obviously when those people are talking about thousand foot falls, it is a different ball game.. it is risking a possible back injury over risking death. So clipping to a bolt is logical.

What?

GO

redlude97

Mar 18, 2011, 11:39 PM
Post #50 of 53 (2939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:

Olderec

This may the most ridiculously contrived training i have ever heard of. Clipping bolts is not that hard. Do something useful like limiting your handholds or feet.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook