RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

jbro_135

Mar 29, 2011, 1:53 AM
Post #1 of 15 (5227 views)
Shortcut

America, land of cheap gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Greetings neighbours to the South. I'm coming to your country this spring to climb on your rocks, specifically at the red. I would like to take advantage of your shitty economy and weak currency (one dollar is only 97.6 cents canadian, is that the best you can do?) by buying some climbing shoes (and maybe some new draws or a rope) at a deep discount.

The major issue here is logistics. I want to order online because that's where the sick sales are, but I won't really have an address, I'll be in a tent at Miguel's. Could I get something delivered and held at a post office nearby? would miguel's be likely to receive my shit for me? I'm not even really sure how this stuff works up north, my generation isn't good with mail.

plz advise

ps. sorry for calling your economy shitty and your dollar weak, that was mean and uncalled for.

Paul_W

Mar 29, 2011, 2:04 AM
Post #2 of 15 (5209 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbro_135] America, land of cheap gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

typical canuck. insults us but then in ps retracts his slur. no balls. there is a sign in my state that says "Canada Sucks"

jbro_135

Mar 29, 2011, 2:11 AM
Post #3 of 15 (5197 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Paul_W] America, land of cheap gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

we do apologize a lot, sorry about that...

guangzhou

Mar 29, 2011, 3:13 AM
Post #4 of 15 (5144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jbro_135 wrote:
Greetings neighbours to the South. I'm coming to your country this spring to climb on your rocks, specifically at the red. I would like to take advantage of your shitty economy and weak currency (one dollar is only 97.6 cents canadian, is that the best you can do?) by buying some climbing shoes (and maybe some new draws or a rope) at a deep discount.

The major issue here is logistics. I want to order online because that's where the sick sales are, but I won't really have an address, I'll be in a tent at Miguel's. Could I get something delivered and held at a post office nearby? would miguel's be likely to receive my shit for me? I'm not even really sure how this stuff works up north, my generation isn't good with mail.

plz advise

ps. sorry for calling your economy shitty and your dollar weak, that was mean and uncalled for.

If you know where you are climbing, you can have the package sjipped to the Local Post Office as Genral Delivery. I think the Post Office holds those packages for for 14 days or so.

As for the weal dollar, no insult, just reality. I live in Asia, my buying power has gone down tremendously lately. My latest business project was going to be a 300,000 USD investment, but now looks more like a 425,000 USD project. Yikes.

billcoe_

Mar 29, 2011, 3:14 AM
Post #5 of 15 (5144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jbro_135 wrote:

plz advise

Come on down! Buy our gear, steal our routes and despoil our women! I wish I had some good advice about the gear, but all I have is a welcome for all of our Canadian brothers! WELCOME!

Have fun, be safe!

Partner macherry

Mar 29, 2011, 4:01 AM
Post #6 of 15 (5109 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Paul_W] America, land of cheap gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Paul_W wrote:
typical canuck. insults us but then in ps retracts his slur. no balls. there is a sign in my state that says "Canada Sucks"

and the US blows............we're even.

MS1

Mar 29, 2011, 4:04 AM
Post #7 of 15 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jbro_135 wrote:

plz advise

My guess is that if you explain the situation to Miguel or his wife beforehand and ask nicely, they'd be willing to receive packages on your behalf.

rtwilli4

Mar 29, 2011, 9:13 AM
Post #8 of 15 (5032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've received packages general delivery at the post office down the road from Miguel's... the one next to the Shell Station I think.

USnavy

Mar 29, 2011, 1:21 PM
Post #9 of 15 (4995 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jbro_135 wrote:

plz advise

You have four main options for receiving mail when you do not have a specific address.

1. USPS general delivery: With this method you can send an item via USPS and have it mailed directly to a post office. I have never tried this, but I have read up on it and apparently its not that reliable, sometimes the mail never makes it through and gets returned.

2. UPS ship to distribution center: You can ship any UPS mailed item directly to a UPS distribution center (there is one within a reasonable drive of just about every house in America). Simply call UPS's main 1-800 number, give them the zip code of your location, and they will tell you the address of the nearest distribution center.

3. Professional business forwarding services: There are company's out there that will sell you an address and a little post office like box that you can have items shipped to. They generally have a minimum three month contract and thus are normally not a good option to ship a single item to unless you dont care about money.

4. Ship it to a friend's house.

Personally, I would choose option two or four.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Mar 29, 2011, 1:22 PM)

jbro_135

Mar 29, 2011, 2:28 PM
Post #10 of 15 (4962 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] America, land of cheap gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
jbro_135 wrote:

plz advise

You have four main options for receiving mail when you do not have a specific address.

1. USPS general delivery: With this method you can send an item via USPS and have it mailed directly to a post office. I have never tried this, but I have read up on it and apparently its not that reliable, sometimes the mail never makes it through and gets returned.

2. UPS ship to distribution center: You can ship any UPS mailed item directly to a UPS distribution center (there is one within a reasonable drive of just about every house in America). Simply call UPS's main 1-800 number, give them the zip code of your location, and they will tell you the address of the nearest distribution center.

3. Professional business forwarding services: There are company's out there that will sell you an address and a little post office like box that you can have items shipped to. They generally have a minimum three month contract and thus are normally not a good option to ship a single item to unless you dont care about money.

4. Ship it to a friend's house.

Personally, I would choose option two or four.

Cool, I think it will be option 2 since I have no friends and the site i want to order from ships by ups. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Also that dude from Alaska seems a little out of touch. Maybe he can see Russia from his house and thinks they can hear him when he's chanting USA! USA! USA!

enigma

Apr 1, 2011, 9:38 PM
Post #11 of 15 (4715 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jbro_135 wrote:

plz advise

Wink

You probably won't get it. Better have insurance.[/;)]

mpg76

Apr 2, 2011, 12:13 AM
Post #13 of 15 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a resident of the adirondacks and deal with these stupid f@#$%& canucks all the time, they should stick to hockey and protecting there terrorist buddies. id rather die then ask those c@#$ suckers to come down here and spend money. jbro your arrogance procedes you and all your countrymen.

uni_jim

Apr 2, 2011, 4:57 AM
Post #14 of 15 (4563 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mpg76] America, land of cheap gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mpg76 wrote:
I am a resident of the adirondacks and deal with these stupid f@#$%& canucks all the time, they should stick to hockey and protecting there terrorist buddies. id rather die then ask those c@#$ suckers to come down here and spend money. jbro your arrogance procedes you and all your countrymen.

quoted for hilarity

sbaclimber

Apr 2, 2011, 6:23 AM
Post #15 of 15 (4544 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mpg76] America, land of cheap gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

mpg76 wrote:
Please don't confuse the residents of Quebec with Canadians.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook