Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

enigma

Apr 5, 2011, 6:54 AM
Post #26 of 190 (3133 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mushroom] The Truth About Leading for Men and Women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

mushroom wrote:
I just really dig on the ability to get the rope up higher, to go beyond what you perceive as limits. It doesn't even feel like climbing when I have a top rope--always training.

I really dig on the companionship of teammates who swap leads. In fact, I always climb harder when I am swapping leads. And after I belay a leader, I am always fixing for the next lead (unless typical excuses prevail [scared, tired, sleeping, under the influence]).

I sincerely believe the lead is always worth not carrying the pack. Holy s%& yes.

For me, this is part of my personality. I do have a weinerschnitzel, irl.

Why does your profile say you lead and follow 5.1 ?

C'mon anything under 5.6 is really a solo. Its not even worth a rope.

Maybe a few in Josh.

Are you kidding? Crazy

(This post was edited by enigma on Apr 5, 2011, 6:56 AM)

Vegasclimber10

Apr 5, 2011, 7:05 AM
Post #27 of 190 (3126 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] The Truth About Leading for Men and Women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
mushroom wrote:
I just really dig on the ability to get the rope up higher, to go beyond what you perceive as limits. It doesn't even feel like climbing when I have a top rope--always training.

I really dig on the companionship of teammates who swap leads. In fact, I always climb harder when I am swapping leads. And after I belay a leader, I am always fixing for the next lead (unless typical excuses prevail [scared, tired, sleeping, under the influence]).

I sincerely believe the lead is always worth not carrying the pack. Holy s%& yes.

Maybe a few in Josh.

Are you kidding? Crazy

Thats the way to influence a thread - base your knowledge on a person based on what's in their profile - that many people never bother to change.

Why are all these posts cropping up again? There was a nice silence for over a month. Let's go back to that.

potreroed

Apr 5, 2011, 7:06 AM
Post #28 of 190 (3124 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like to lead, follow, top-rope, boulder, climb trees, buildings, sew it up, solo--it's all good.

guangzhou

Apr 5, 2011, 7:08 AM
Post #29 of 190 (3124 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Why are you insulting someone climbing level. Why under 5.6 is a free solo. Why not under 5.10 or 5.12.

I can think of a few 5.5 or 5.4 pitches I doubt you would solo. I know I wouldn't. I'm sure the 5.6 third pitch of East Buttress of El-cap isn't on your list of pitches to solo anytime soon either.

enigma

Apr 5, 2011, 7:16 AM
Post #30 of 190 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Vegasclimber10] The Truth About Leading for Men and Women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Vegasclimber10 wrote:
enigma wrote:
mushroom wrote:

Maybe a few in Josh.

Are you kidding? Crazy

Thats the way to influence a thread - base your knowledge on a person based on what's in their profile - that many people never bother to change.

Why are all these posts cropping up again? There was a nice silence for over a month. Let's go back to that.

Crazy

enigma

Apr 5, 2011, 7:20 AM
Post #31 of 190 (3120 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] The Truth About Leading for Men and Women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
Why are you insulting someone climbing level. Why under 5.6 is a free solo. Why not under 5.10 or 5.12.

I can think of a few 5.5 or 5.4 pitches I doubt you would solo. I know I wouldn't. I'm sure the 5.6 third pitch of East Buttress of El-cap isn't on your list of pitches to solo anytime soon either.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

5.1 lead ? Shocked

enigma

Apr 5, 2011, 7:22 AM
Post #32 of 190 (3118 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] The Truth About Leading for Men and Women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:
I'm an aspiring ACMG rock guide, therefore need to lead for training.

Yes , You are pretty hardcore. Good luck with your training and becoming an awesome guide.

natrajk

Apr 5, 2011, 7:31 AM
Post #33 of 190 (3115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
mushroom wrote:

Maybe a few in Josh.

Are you kidding? Crazy

From your profile:

Trad: 5.7 5.10c
Sport: 5.8 5.10b

So you only lead 5.7, but suggest that you solo anything under 5.6 unroped? Sure...

Why I lead? It's the only way to truly experience climbing.

enigma

Apr 5, 2011, 8:00 AM
Post #34 of 190 (3109 views)
Shortcut

Re: [natrajk] The Truth About Leading for Men and Women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

natrajk wrote:
enigma wrote:
mushroom wrote:

Maybe a few in Josh.

Are you kidding? Crazy

From your profile:

So you only lead 5.7, but suggest that you solo anything under 5.6 unroped? Sure...

Norway is beautiful. My favorite artist is Eduard Munch. I went to his museum.

I've never climbed there, but you have the alps . The ratings are different.

There are hard 5.6 in some areas like Joshua Tree and in Yosemite.

However a 5.1 is easier than walking up a flight of stairs in the United States for most 3 year olds.
Even scrambling is harder.

Maybe its just an oversight, or a simple mistake.

(This post was edited by enigma on Apr 5, 2011, 8:06 AM)

Partner camhead

Apr 5, 2011, 11:05 AM
Post #35 of 190 (3086 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (10 ratings)  
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
natrajk wrote:
enigma wrote:
mushroom wrote:

Maybe a few in Josh.

Are you kidding? Crazy

From your profile:

Norway is beautiful. My favorite artist is Eduard Munch. I went to his museum.

I've never climbed there, but you have the alps . The ratings are different.

There are hard 5.6 in some areas like Joshua Tree and in Yosemite.

However a 5.1 is easier than walking up a flight of stairs in the United States for most 3 year olds.
Even scrambling is harder.

Maybe its just an oversight, or a simple mistake.

and, right after this post, enigma's prescription sleeping pills finally overtook her, and she passed out in a puddle of cat pee.

BumpinUgly

Apr 5, 2011, 11:30 AM
Post #36 of 190 (3081 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
TheRucat wrote:
enigma wrote:

If you are a guy ;
I presume your male ego forces you to lead?

Yes you are correct. Following and or top roping are signs of weakness. If we are to attract a mate we must show strength and prowess.

In reply to:
However given the chance would you rather follow?

F that noise.

In reply to:
Can guys admit this?

Clearly I can't.

In reply to:
I also have heard guys don't like other males to climb harder then them. Is that true?

True. The alpha male must continuously defend his status, as they will be constantly challenged for this coveted position. If a challenger succeeds in out climbing an alpha male, they earn the rights to all the previous alpha male's privileges. Which I think includes his girlfriend.

Laugh

Finally !

It's funny because I've climbed with a few of these " elite alpha males" and they have said they won't even lead anything under 5.12,
but would belay me on whatever 5.10 I wanted.

Just in case someone saw them.

Kind of a "Hugh Hefner" with all the playmates?Sly
My ego is bigger than Hugh Hefner's. So are my balls.

(This post was edited by BumpinUgly on Apr 5, 2011, 11:35 AM)

sp115

Apr 5, 2011, 11:32 AM
Post #37 of 190 (3079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (15 ratings)  
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
..However a 5.1 is easier than walking up a flight of stairs in the United States for most 3 year olds...

I don't think "flight of stairs" means what you think it does.

In any even let me put it terms you’ll understand:

I like to lead, for the same reason my cat likes to chase a string. My favorite cats are Siamese. They’re from Egypt, not all, but originally. I once had a cat that ate ice cream. I would feed it to her on a fork. “Oh well”, I used to think, “if only you had an opposable thumb”. Has anyone seen a cat climb? They don’t use ropes. They like to chase string. I like to lead for the same reason.

ladyscarlett

Apr 5, 2011, 11:56 AM
Post #38 of 190 (3070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I lead so that when a hiker asks

'how did the rope get up there?'

my partner can say "the rope gnome took care of it. She uses some kind of magic. She calls it friction, but I know it's just plain magic!"

And then he takes a healthy sip from his handy flask.

Wow, when I write it like that, it looks like I lead to get my partner sloshed...

wow, this puts it all in a whole new light! HA!

2p

LS

olderic

Apr 5, 2011, 1:11 PM
Post #40 of 190 (3042 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp115] The Truth About Leading for Men and Women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (10 ratings)  
Can't Post

sp115 wrote:
enigma wrote:
..However a 5.1 is easier than walking up a flight of stairs in the United States for most 3 year olds...

I like to lead, for the same reason my cat likes to chase a string. My favorite cats are Siamese. They’re from Egypt, not all, but originally. I once had a cat that ate ice cream. I would feed it to her on a fork. “Oh well”, I used to think, “if only you had an opposable thumb”. Has anyone seen a cat climb? They don’t use ropes. They like to chase string. I like to lead for the same reason.

I saw a cat climb a tree once. But it was because my dog was chasing her. My dog chase lots of things. Some with four legs some with two. I wonder how many legs she has chased in all? You know in some races they have different segments they call legs. Another type of race is one in boats where they use oars. Called crew. There are two types - sweeps - where you just pull on one oar with both hands and sculling where you have an oar in each hand. In England there are lots of crew races on the Thames such as Henley. And The Boat Race. That's between Oxford and Cambridge. My daughter spent time at both Oxford and Cambridge. She met her husband at Oxford. He was the president of the OUMC (Oxford University Mountaineering Club). They do a lot of climbing. In England. Both boys and girls. My dog is a girl. She chased me up a cliff once. It was 5.3 slab. She almost got it. But couldn't quite. Probably because she is a girl. I am a boy - so I led it for her. It's only natural. Shall we go around again? wheeee

chadnsc

Apr 5, 2011, 1:21 PM
Post #41 of 190 (3035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trollin' trollin' trollin'
Keep those yahoos goin'
Trollin' trollin' trollin'

Toast_in_the_Machine

Apr 5, 2011, 1:40 PM
Post #42 of 190 (3021 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] The Truth About Leading for Men and Women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
sp115 wrote:
enigma wrote:

I saw a cat climb a tree once. But it was because my dog was chasing her. My dog chase lots of things. Some with four legs some with two. I wonder how many legs she has chased in all? You know in some races they have different segments they call legs. Another type of race is one in boats where they use oars. Called crew. There are two types - sweeps - where you just pull on one oar with both hands and sculling where you have an oar in each hand. In England there are lots of crew races on the Thames such as Henley. And The Boat Race. That's between Oxford and Cambridge. My daughter spent time at both Oxford and Cambridge. She met her husband at Oxford. He was the president of the OUMC (Oxford University Mountaineering Club). They do a lot of climbing. In England. Both boys and girls. My dog is a girl. She chased me up a cliff once. It was 5.3 slab. She almost got it. But couldn't quite. Probably because she is a girl. I am a boy - so I led it for her. It's only natural. Shall we go around again? wheeee

I went to England once. Took a photo of my wife in a stone circle as a fertility blessing. Turns out she was already pregnant by 1 month. Our first child. A boy. Or second child is a girl. Both climb. We went on two trips where I promised the boy he could do his first outdoor lead. We didn't get to climb on either trip. So the lad no lead. My wife still has upper back issues from carrying the kids when they were babies. That and she has sore rotator cuffs from punching so much. We got rid of our cats and I hate the dog next door. That leaves me to get the rope up. More fun going up the front, than round the back.

olderic

Apr 5, 2011, 1:48 PM
Post #43 of 190 (3017 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] The Truth About Leading for Men and Women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
olderic wrote:
sp115 wrote:
enigma wrote:

I went to England once. Took a photo of my wife in a stone circle as a fertility blessing. Turns out she was already pregnant by 1 month. Our first child. A boy. Or second child is a girl. Both climb. We went on two trips where I promised the boy he could do his first outdoor lead. We didn't get to climb on either trip. So the lad no lead. My wife still has upper back issues from carrying the kids when they were babies. That and she has sore rotator cuffs from punching so much. We got rid of our cats and I hate the dog next door. That leaves me to get the rope up. More fun going up the front, than round the back.

Sometimes the back door is a nice variation. I tried to get in the backdoor of Stonehenge once. That's a stone circle in England. Very well known. Perhaps you have heard of it. Built by the Druids. They are not Christians. In Scandinavia they also had non Christian groups in the old days. Vikings and what not. They had horns. Both the boys and girls. All very horny I guess. Oslo in in Norway. There is a famous painting by Munch in a museum there. "The Scream". Reminds me of girls trying to lead.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Apr 5, 2011, 2:00 PM
Post #44 of 190 (3008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
olderic wrote:
sp115 wrote:
enigma wrote:

Sometimes the back door is a nice variation. I tried to get in the backdoor of Stonehenge once. That's a stone circle in England. Very well known. Perhaps you have heard of it. Built by the Druids. They are not Christians. In Scandinavia they also had non Christian groups in the old days. Vikings and what not. They had horns. Both the boys and girls. All very horny I guess. Oslo in in Norway. There is a famous painting by Munch in a museum there. "The Scream". Reminds me of girls trying to lead.

I saw a tv show about vikings, the archeologists have found evidence that the warrior men lived together in a separate house. They had shirts, and decorated them. I don't think they bouldered, but since they had iron, they might have done ice. Vanilla Ice would have made a good viking and boulder. Snorli Sturlesson is my favorite, he led. He was bold.

olderic

Apr 5, 2011, 2:07 PM
Post #45 of 190 (3002 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] The Truth About Leading for Men and Women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
olderic wrote:
sp115 wrote:
enigma wrote:

I saw a tv show about vikings, the archeologists have found evidence that the warrior men lived together in a separate house. They had shirts, and decorated them. I don't think they bouldered, but since they had iron, they might have done ice. Vanilla Ice would have made a good viking and boulder. Snorli Sturlesson is my favorite, he led. He was bold.

I think I am related to Eric the Red. He had a beard too. But his was red. Mine is grey. Maybe mine turned grey because I got scared leading. But i have to because I am a boy.

coastal_climber

Apr 5, 2011, 2:20 PM
Post #46 of 190 (2992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
coastal_climber wrote:

Yes , You are pretty hardcore. Good luck with your training and becoming an awesome guide.

I think you need something in your life, and it starts with a "c"

ceebo

Apr 5, 2011, 2:24 PM
Post #47 of 190 (2988 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hahah so many lies. Climbing itself is not even natural... just in making the choice to continue doing it is pure ego. Why would you want to get better at something that does not even matter?.

sp115

Apr 5, 2011, 2:27 PM
Post #48 of 190 (2977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
olderic wrote:
olderic wrote:
sp115 wrote:
enigma wrote:

I think I am related to Eric the Red. He had a beard too. But his was red. Mine is grey. Maybe mine turned grey because I got scared leading. But i have to because I am a boy.

Did Eric the Red climb? I bet if he did you would look like him. I heard Vikings were mean. I don't think you're mean, but I don't understand beards. If cats could grow lots of wiskers they would look like a beard. Are there red cats? Hey! I just thought of a good name for a red cat!

Kartessa

Apr 5, 2011, 2:27 PM
Post #49 of 190 (2977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
olderic wrote:
olderic wrote:
sp115 wrote:
enigma wrote:

I knew a boy once, he didnt have a beard though. We ate bacon together. I really like bacon. I like pigs too, but that doesn't stop me from eating them. Chickens are cute too. I wish I could have a few, so I could get fresh eggs every morning, then I could have bacon omelets daily. I don't have any though, so I'm stuck eating oatmeal. Today's oatmeal is pretty awesome, strawberries, almonds, cranberries and raisins with vanilla. Man I love froot, it makes me strong, not freakish body builder strong, but send hard 5.4s strong. Maybe one day I'll lead one.

Kartessa

Apr 5, 2011, 2:29 PM
Post #50 of 190 (2974 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] The Truth About Leading for Men and Women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:
enigma wrote:
coastal_climber wrote:

I think you need something in your life, and it starts with a "c"

Hrmmmm
"Medication" no... that's not it
"Friends" ... doesn't start with a C
"Therapy" ... still not quite right
"Crack" ... I think she's had enough.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register