Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next page Last page  View All

enigma

Apr 8, 2011, 6:20 AM
Post #476 of 509 (4634 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
jt512 wrote:
enigma wrote:

In reference to alcohol in moderation, how much? types?

Any type. The equivalent of two glasses of wine per day.

Just to make it clear, this is NUANCED, and depends on your gender.

Males: equivalent of 1-2 glasses of wine per day.

Women: equivalent of 1 glass of wine per day AND ONLY IF THEY CONCURRENTLY HAVE @ LEAST 400microg of folate.

All the studies I've seen showed negative effects for women consuming >1 glass per day, and for any amount without proper folate (NOT related to potential for pregnancy).

=====================================
Are you saying Jt512 is incorrect on his information, regarding drinking alcohol?

So according to your research it has to be wine, and with folate in the diet, is that correct?

No beer, No scotch, it must be wine for it to be beneficial, is that what you are stating?

Could you be so kind to share this particular research study. ?

altelis

Apr 8, 2011, 11:45 AM
Post #477 of 509 (4626 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
altelis wrote:
jt512 wrote:
enigma wrote:

Women: equivalent of 1 glass of wine per day AND ONLY IF THEY CONCURRENTLY HAVE @ LEAST 400microg of folate.

All the studies I've seen showed negative effects for women consuming >1 glass per day, and for any amount without proper folate (NOT related to potential for pregnancy).

In reply to:

=====================================
Are you saying Jt512 is incorrect on his information, regarding drinking alcohol?

No. Read. I said he was correct, but the recommendations were more nuanced than he suggested.

In reply to:

So according to your research it has to be wine, and with folate in the diet, is that correct?
No. Read. It wasn't my research, and it was the EQUIVALENT of a glass of wine. That's easier to type than "12 g alcohol which is equivalent to 1 8 0z beer, 1 4 oz wine or 1 oz of 80 proof liquor". Guess I couldn't avoid it after all..

And yes, increased risk was seen instead of benefit for WOMEN who had 1 alcoholic drink/day whose diet was folate deficient. >1 drink/day, regardless of folate intake, was either not beneficial or had increased health risks IN WOMEN.

In reply to:
No beer, No scotch, it must be wine for it to be beneficial, is that what you are stating?
No. Read. That's not what I'm stating.

In reply to:

Could you be so kind to share this particular research study. ?

No. Google Scholar has made access to an academic library un-necessary to find scholarly research and at least read the abstract. The information was not gleaned from a single article, but rather many primary studies as well as Cochran reviews and other review articles.

Good grief, did NOBODY teach you logical reasoning? By the way studies have shown that those without sufficient folate and Vitamin B45.6 in their diet are more likely to fall prey to online scams.

In unrelated news, I know a Nigerian prince who might be able to make you TONS of money. Lemme know if you want his contact info...

Gmburns2000

Apr 8, 2011, 1:23 PM
Post #478 of 509 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
jt512 wrote:
enigma wrote:

really dumb question. I know there are studies linking moderate drinking, in general, to better health (in general). Just curious, though, and I'm not even sure how to ask the question clearly, how much of the benefit has to do with the ingredients over the alcohol itself?

In other words, with regards to wine, how much of the benefit is due to the grapes? Would grape juice (not the overly sugared kind) be a better substitute? And with beer, would barley, for instance, be better than beer?

I don't know what goes into other kinds of liquor necessarily, so I can't comment on things like high-quality vodka, whiskey, or pisco, etc..

billcoe_

Apr 8, 2011, 7:42 PM
Post #479 of 509 (4585 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting alcohol info out today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12999000

"The Europe-wide study of 363,988 people reported in the British Medical Journal found one in 10 of all cancers in men and one in 33 in women were caused by past or current alcohol intake.

More than 18% of alcohol-related cancers in men and about 4% in women were linked to excessive drinking."

..........more

altelis

Apr 8, 2011, 9:48 PM
Post #480 of 509 (4565 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
altelis wrote:
jt512 wrote:
enigma wrote:

really dumb question. I know there are studies linking moderate drinking, in general, to better health (in general). Just curious, though, and I'm not even sure how to ask the question clearly, how much of the benefit has to do with the ingredients over the alcohol itself?

In other words, with regards to wine, how much of the benefit is due to the grapes? Would grape juice (not the overly sugared kind) be a better substitute? And with beer, would barley, for instance, be better than beer?

I don't know what goes into other kinds of liquor necessarily, so I can't comment on things like high-quality vodka, whiskey, or pisco, etc..

The studies that I have seen seem to hint at the fact that its something about an "alcoholic drink" in general that confers benefit.

I'm interested to hear what Jay thinks about this, but it's my opinion (decently well supported by the literature) that our use of reductionistic thinking in the realm of food & nutrition is misguided. We (at least many American & European societies) want to know what it is IN PARTICULAR that makes eating X food so beneficial.

Many of the studies I have seen in this light show that each time we find a food that is beneficial, pick (often seemingly at random) a nutrient unique to or at least in abundance in that food, and use it as a supplement, the beneficial results aren't replicated. This suggests that when we derive benefit from a food it isn't due to a single agent but rather to a multifactorial cause.

There are some foods we have identified as beneficial AND have been able to identify a single agent. Often (though not always) these foods were pretty simple to start with- like certain plant oils providing cardio-protective effects. We have replicated these effects with a single substance, omega 3 FA. Great, but the oils weren't exactly a complicated mix to start with.

Interestingly, the converse tends to NOT be true. Typically, foods that we have identified as being HARMFUL to us typically do have ONE causative agent. And removing that agent removes/greatly reduces the harm conferred from that food.

TarHeelEMT

Apr 8, 2011, 9:48 PM
Post #481 of 509 (4565 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
For one thing, because it increases serum HDL-cholesterol, so it's protective against heart disease. There may be other factors as well. It's not completely understood.

Jay

While it does raise HDL cholesterol, any causal link to reduced heart disease via this mechanism is only hypothesized, not proven.

(This post was edited by TarHeelEMT on Apr 8, 2011, 9:49 PM)

jt512

Apr 8, 2011, 9:54 PM
Post #482 of 509 (4561 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TarHeelEMT] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
jt512 wrote:
For one thing, because it increases serum HDL-cholesterol, so it's protective against heart disease. There may be other factors as well. It's not completely understood.

Jay

While it does raise HDL cholesterol, any causal link to reduced heart disease via this mechanism is only hypothesized, not proven.

Nonsense. What paleolithic diet website have you been visiting?

Jay

TarHeelEMT

Apr 8, 2011, 9:55 PM
Post #483 of 509 (4558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

Jay

Three years of medical school and partway through an MPH.

The certainty of the claims you're making is vastly overstated.

(This post was edited by TarHeelEMT on Apr 8, 2011, 10:01 PM)

jt512

Apr 8, 2011, 10:09 PM
Post #484 of 509 (4548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
altelis wrote:
jt512 wrote:
enigma wrote:

The studies that I have seen seem to hint at the fact that its something about an "alcoholic drink" in general that confers benefit.

As I understand it, ethanol per se lowers LDL-cholesterol, which alone is responsible for much of the benefit.

In reply to:
I'm interested to hear what Jay thinks about this, but it's my opinion (decently well supported by the literature) that our use of reductionistic thinking in the realm of food & nutrition is misguided. We (at least many American & European societies) want to know what it is IN PARTICULAR that makes eating X food so beneficial.

Many of the studies I have seen in this light show that each time we find a food that is beneficial, pick (often seemingly at random) a nutrient unique to or at least in abundance in that food, and use it as a supplement, the beneficial results aren't replicated. This suggests that when we derive benefit from a food it isn't due to a single agent but rather to a multifactorial cause.

Well, to the extent that the benefits of certain foods are due to antioxidants you have to be careful, because the oxidation–reduction effects of so-called antioxidants depend on their concentration and the concentration of other redox agents in their environment. Beta-carotene would not be expected to have the same biological effect when taken in large dose as a supplement as it would in more modest amounts as part of a mixture of redox agents in a whole food.

In reply to:
There are some foods we have identified as beneficial AND have been able to identify a single agent. Often (though not always) these foods were pretty simple to start with- like certain plant oils providing cardio-protective effects. We have replicated these effects with a single substance, omega 3 FA. Great, but the oils weren't exactly a complicated mix to start with.

There are complex foods where it is still unclear how much of the benefit comes from what constituents. Nuts, for instance, almost certainly confer a health benefit by way of their fatty acid profile, but whether the non-fat constituents of nuts confer a significant health benefit is still unclear.

Jay

altelis

Apr 8, 2011, 10:24 PM
Post #485 of 509 (4541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

Jay

Not in the field myself, but everything I've been taught in pharmacology, physiology and cardio-vascular medicine in the last 3 years supports TarHeel's claim.

I'm sure I'll get flack from Jay with this appeal to authority, but to strengthen the "authority", everything I saw cited in this regard was recent, and taught by experts in the field who are VERY EBM driven...

Gmburns2000

Apr 8, 2011, 11:26 PM
Post #486 of 509 (4530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
altelis wrote:
jt512 wrote:
enigma wrote:

Interestingly, the converse tends to NOT be true. Typically, foods that we have identified as being HARMFUL to us typically do have ONE causative agent. And removing that agent removes/greatly reduces the harm conferred from that food.

hmmm...that's interesting. thanks.

jt512

Apr 9, 2011, 12:29 AM
Post #487 of 509 (4518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
jt512 wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

Jay

Not in the field myself, but everything I've been taught in pharmacology, physiology and cardio-vascular medicine in the last 3 years supports TarHeel's claim.

What?! HDL-cholesterol mediates reverse cholesterol transport. That's pretty basic biochemistry. It probably has other anti-atherogenic properties as well. Good summary here.

Additionally:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/407775_4
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/407775_5

And many, many other sources.

Jay

altelis

Apr 9, 2011, 1:51 PM
Post #488 of 509 (4456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jay, of course that's the mechanism of action for HDL. It's not clear however that a simple absolute rise in HDL represents CAD protection.

The links you provided back this up. The VA-HIT show that the HDL increase needs to be accompanied by a TG reduction to be cardioprotective. AFCAPS/TexCAPS showed that HDL BELOW the recommended value has a negative risk associated with it, and that raising the HDL TO THE RECOMMENDED VALUE decreased their risk for CAD. But if I remember that study correctly (haven't read it in ~1 yr), their RR was returned to 1, that is they didn't "gain" cardioprotection, they just returned to normal.

jt512

Apr 9, 2011, 9:34 PM
Post #489 of 509 (4439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
Jay, of course that's the mechanism of action for HDL. It's not clear however that a simple absolute rise in HDL represents CAD protection.

It is nearly impossible to prove such an effect, because you'd have to find an intervention that only affected HDL-C. Given the practical difficulty of such proof, the evidence of an actual cardioprotective effect of increasing HDL-C is about as strong as you can get. It is supported by biochemistry, animal models, epidemiology, and clinical trials.

In reply to:
The links you provided back this up.

You are selectively reading the literature and misinterpreting it.

In reply to:
The VA-HIT show that the HDL increase needs to be accompanied by a TG reduction to be cardioprotective.

No. It showed exactly the opposite: "[T]he reduction in nonfatal MI and CHD death was correlated with treatment concentrations of HDL-C but not triglycerides . . . [T]he only major lipid to predict a significant reduction in CHD events was HDL-C. . . . A similar conclusion was reported in the Helsinki Heart Study . . ."¹

In reply to:
AFCAPS/TexCAPS showed that HDL BELOW the recommended value has a negative risk associated with it, and that raising the HDL TO THE RECOMMENDED VALUE decreased their risk for CAD. But if I remember that study correctly (haven't read it in ~1 yr), their RR was returned to 1, that is they didn't "gain" cardioprotection, they just returned to normal.

I don't know where you're getting that from, and I don't fully understand it. The reference value for a relative risk—that is, the value that is designated to have a relative risk of 1—is arbitrary. What you say above seems to imply only that they found that there is a benefit to raising HDL-C to a certain level, but no benefit to raising it further.

In the AFCAPS/TexCAPS study there was a strong inverse relation in the placebo group between HDL-C and coronary events. Lovastatin increased HDL-C by an average of 6%, and reduced coronary events by about 40%, compared with placebo, among subjects in the lowest two tertiles of baseline HDL-C.²

If you think that they found something different, then please reread your sources. Then, if you still think they found something different, please provide a reference to where you're getting that information.

Jay

¹ Robins, et al. JAMA. 2001;285:1585–91.
² Downs, et al. JAMA. 1998;279:1615–22.

(This post was edited by jt512 on Apr 9, 2011, 11:13 PM)

jt512

Apr 10, 2011, 12:48 AM
Post #490 of 509 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
jt512 wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

Jay

Three years of medical school and partway through an MPH.

The certainty of the claims you're making is vastly overstated.

I would put my "certainty" at about 85%. On the other hand, calling it "only hypothesized" seems to suggest that there is no evidence for it, when, in fact, there is a clear body of consistent evidence from epidemiology, biochemistry, clinical trials, animal studies, and even preliminary studies of infused HDL analogs in humans.

Jay

TarHeelEMT

Apr 10, 2011, 8:31 PM
Post #491 of 509 (4345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The idea that alcohol is cardioprotective is pretty well established. I never argued that and would counsel anyone who asked that it's almost certainly true.

You took it quite a few steps farther and asserted that one of the proposed mechanisms to explain the causation is factual. I'm sorry, but however plausible the idea that alcohol exerts its effects via HDL may be, it is still quite early in the game to be asserting it as fact. That's several steps ahead of where the published literature is right now.

A very good meta-analysis of studies relating alcohol consumption to cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality was very recently published, and it's probably worth a read for anyone interested in a sense of where we are right now. If our level of knowledge is as you claim, Jay, then there would have been little point in publishing it. It's free online at PubMed central.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...3043109/?tool=pubmed

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3043110/?tool=pmcentrez
Their companion paper looked specifically at biomarkers to investigate a mechanism. They specifically state in their limitations section than the evidence for mechanism is indirect, and is primarily being used to provide plausibility for the cardioprotective hypothesis. They haven't proven the mechanism and weren't trying to because the research just isn't there yet. The mechanism is still being established, and it is wrong to declare the hypothesis that HDL is causative as fact.

(This post was edited by TarHeelEMT on Apr 10, 2011, 8:36 PM)

TarHeelEMT

Apr 10, 2011, 8:34 PM
Post #492 of 509 (4344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
I would put my "certainty" at about 85%. On the other hand, calling it "only hypothesized" seems to suggest that there is no evidence for it, when, in fact, there is a clear body of consistent evidence from epidemiology, biochemistry, clinical trials, animal studies, and even preliminary studies of infused HDL analogs in humans.

Jay

Mine would be at about 98% for the cardioprotective hypothesis, and about 75% against all comers for HDL and fibrinogen to be the primary mediators.

There's a big difference between 85% and fact.

Care to take a deep breath and reexamine my initial statement?

Are you really saying you disagree with that? Rereading it myself, I probably should have been more clear in saying that I was referring to HDL being the mechanism of risk reduction for alcohol.

(This post was edited by TarHeelEMT on Apr 10, 2011, 9:21 PM)

jt512

Apr 11, 2011, 12:23 AM
Post #493 of 509 (4314 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

Mine would be at about 98% for the cardioprotective hypothesis, and about 75% against all comers for HDL and fibrinogen to be the primary mediators.

I didn't realize you were talking about alcohol. I thought you were talking about HDL-C per se.

In reply to:
There's a big difference between 85% and fact.

Right. I never said I was certain. You said I was certain.

In reply to:
Care to take a deep breath and reexamine my initial statement?

Are you really saying you disagree with that? Rereading it myself, I probably should have been more clear in saying that I was referring to HDL being the mechanism of risk reduction for alcohol.

I agree that it's not proven, but I think that the phrase "only hypothesized" is misleading. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that it is known that alcohol raises HDL-C. Furthermore, the evidence that raising HDL-C has a cardioprotective effect is quite strong. Therefore, it is quite likely that the cardioprotective effect of alcohol is at least partly due to it raising HDL-C. That's not "proof," but it's more than "only hypothesized"; there is substantial evidence for it.

Jay

TarHeelEMT

Apr 12, 2011, 9:04 PM
Post #494 of 509 (4271 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I didn't realize you were talking about alcohol. I thought you were talking about HDL-C per se

Haha, no. My fault for not being more clear.

In reply to:

I'm pretty sure what got me going was the statement "For one thing, because it increases serum HDL-cholesterol, so it's protective against heart disease.," since it doesn't necessarily follow that anything that raises HDL is protective against heart disease. You did acknowledge that it was more complicated than that, so I probably didn't give you enough credit for nuance.

In reply to:
I agree that it's not proven, but I think that the phrase "only hypothesized" is misleading.

It depends. I'm ok with saying it, because to me the word hypothesis implies at least a reasonable body of evidence, with many carrying a substantial body of evidence. Different people have different understandings of the term, though, and I suppose RC.com is not a place where you'd assume I was speaking with that understanding.

jt512

Apr 12, 2011, 9:31 PM
Post #495 of 509 (4262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
I'm pretty sure what got me going was the statement "For one thing, because [alcohol] increases serum HDL-cholesterol, so it's protective against heart disease.," since it doesn't necessarily follow that anything that raises HDL is protective against heart disease.

I agree that it doesn't necessarily follow, but alcohol does raise HDL-C, and raising HDL-C is cardioprtotective. Therefore, alcohol consumption would be expected to lower heart disease risk, and to do so by raising HDL-C.

In principle, alcohol could not be cardioprotective if it had an offsetting adverse affect on heart disease risk by some other mechanism. However, epidemiological evidence consistently shows that those who drink alcohol have lower rates of heart disease than non-drinkers, so there is no evidence for such an offsetting detrimental effect.

Jay

aprice00

Apr 12, 2011, 11:05 PM
Post #496 of 509 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
In reply to:
I didn't realize you were talking about alcohol. I thought you were talking about HDL-C per se

In reply to:

I'm pretty sure what got me going was the statement "For one thing, because it increases serum HDL-cholesterol, so it's protective against heart disease.," since it doesn't necessarily follow that anything that raises HDL is protective against heart disease. You did acknowledge that it was more complicated than that, so I probably didn't give you enough credit for nuance.

In reply to:
I agree that it's not proven, but I think that the phrase "only hypothesized" is misleading.

It depends. I'm ok with saying it, because to me the word hypothesis implies at least a reasonable body of evidence, with many carrying a substantial body of evidence. Different people have different understandings of the term, though, and I suppose RC.com is not a place where you'd assume I was speaking with that understanding.

Kind of a moot point for the topic but since when does a hypothesis imply "a reasonable body of evidence"? It doesn't even depend on you definition of reasonable. The term hypothesis, especially in the scientific field has Zero contingencies on evidence. Really a hypothesis can be a total shot in the dark. A hypothesis can be merely conjecture.
I know its just semantics but you need to be right when you try to take an authoritative position.

enigma

Apr 12, 2011, 11:15 PM
Post #497 of 509 (4242 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aprice00] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

aprice00 wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
In reply to:

In reply to:

In reply to:

Kind of a moot point for the topic but since when does a hypothesis imply "a reasonable body of evidence"? It doesn't even depend on you definition of reasonable. The term hypothesis, especially in the scientific field has Zero contingencies on evidence. Really a hypothesis can be a total shot in the dark. A hypothesis can be merely conjecture.
I know its just semantics but you need to be right when you try to take an authoritative position.

Yes, Of course !

aprice00

Apr 12, 2011, 11:38 PM
Post #498 of 509 (4234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
aprice00 wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
In reply to:

In reply to:

In reply to:

Yes, Of course !
Why is it that Im bothered by you agreeing w/ me?

TarHeelEMT

Apr 13, 2011, 2:26 AM
Post #499 of 509 (4217 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aprice00] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

aprice00 wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
In reply to:

In reply to:

In reply to:

A hypothesis has to be consistent with available evidence. Since the amount of information on lipid metabolism and coronary artery disease is quite substantial, any reasonable hypothesis on a subject as broad as how alcohol affects CAD risk will by necessity be based on a great deal of evidence.

(This post was edited by TarHeelEMT on Apr 13, 2011, 2:27 AM)

chadnsc

Apr 13, 2011, 2:56 AM
Post #500 of 509 (3694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
aprice00 wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
In reply to:

In reply to:

In reply to:

Yes, Of course !

Give me a break. You didn't understand anything in the above post.

First page Previous page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook