RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

bhamel89

Mar 17, 2011, 1:28 PM
Post #1 of 8 (3825 views)
Shortcut

mothering and climbing and... a body?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

yes i am pregnant. yes i cannot wait for my little man to arrive. yes i cannot wait to boulder again and yes i am worried about my postpartum body.

the only real plans i've ever had were to be a mom and to climb. it's just what i wanted to do. so now that my dreams are coming true, i am beginning to think about reality. i always thought my body would just go back to the way it was before for some reason, but now researching and checking out pregnancy forums, it seems like that may be a rare case. sure this probably seems shallow but i like being fit and looking good for my husband. i have the stretch marks around my belly button and don't really want the flab that seems to come with pregnancy.

i think that going back into the climbing world this summer might make things a little harder, since the climbing world is full of beautiful woman with hott bods and great personalities!

so i guess what i'm looking for here is hope? comfort? others experiences with the subject?

i'm sure i'm not the only one...

lena_chita

Mar 17, 2011, 2:33 PM
Post #2 of 8 (3809 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bhamel89] mothering and climbing and... a body? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you start out with a good figure and healthy habbits before getting pregnant, and if you eat healthily and stay active throughout pregnancy, and then continue the same after having a baby, there is absolutely no reason why you chouldn't return back to your pre-pregnancy shape after having a baby.

How fast after having a baby it would happen -- that depends. Don't expect miracles. You will be busy, and tired. You are likely to lose most of the weight within 3-9 month, but may still look softer/flabbier unless/until you start working out again. Nursing helps you lose weight more consistently, IMO (it is about extra 500 cal used per day if you are lactating), but you also have to eat more to be able to have enough milk, so the overall weight loss might be somewhat slower.

Oh, and by the way, congratulations!

clee03m

Mar 18, 2011, 6:49 AM
Post #3 of 8 (3753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congrats!

Lena_chita is a mother of 2 and about the fittest person I know. Last I saw her, I believe there wasn't an ounce of fat on her body. One of my girlfriends who is training for a marathon has an 18 month old, and she is skinnier (and hotter IMO) than before the baby. So don't fret--you can get your body back.

For me, it is not about just flab or the weight. I still have pain in the pelvic joint. I still have a bit of abdominal wall separation. Judging from what other moms say, these issues may resolve after I stop breastfeeding. So as my son eats more and more solids, I am hoping I will get my body back.

Personally, I wouldn't feel self conscious about other girls' bodies. Who cares? We are all beautiful in our own ways.

bhamel89

Mar 18, 2011, 9:01 PM
Post #4 of 8 (3731 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] mothering and climbing and... a body? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thank you for both of your responses! it makes me feel better knowing these things. sometimes it bugs me and sometimes i don't care. it's just one of those things where sometimes i listen to the world telling me how i'm supposed to look! it's a weakness. but i'm sure that i am going to care a lot less about little things like this once my baby is finally here! can't wait!

and clee, sounds painful :( i hope everything gets better for you soon and congrats on your little one!

rockie

Apr 9, 2011, 11:51 PM
Post #5 of 8 (3503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

No fat on me, lean is a better word, I had my baby over a year ago, and my body returned to it's original physique soon enough, and not had proper workouts yet either.

Like someone said, if you started out fit and healthy, and stay healthy.. no reason you shouldn't just naturally return back to your old physique.

hth.

Partner macherry

Apr 10, 2011, 6:31 PM
Post #6 of 8 (3476 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockie] mothering and climbing and... a body? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

rockie wrote:
No fat on me, lean is a better word, I had my baby over a year ago, and my body returned to it's original physique soon enough, and not had proper workouts yet either.

Like someone said, if you started out fit and healthy, and stay healthy.. no reason you shouldn't just naturally return back to your old physique.

hth.

sometimes it's not that easy

rockie

Apr 10, 2011, 10:51 PM
Post #7 of 8 (3469 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] mothering and climbing and... a body? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I never said it was all easy for everyone.

I think the OP was looking for reassurance though from those of us who were lean before hand, and were again after, and I know of many others who have also returned to the same physique after having a baby, who are also more restricted after babies come along.

They didn't work at it either, by working out.

Genetics has alot to do with it, but so does diet obviously. I don't eat burgers or fast food stuffs, home cooking is healthiest.

smallclimber

Apr 11, 2011, 12:51 AM
Post #8 of 8 (3460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you stay fit and active during your pregnancy most of your weight gain will be directly related to the baby and after a month or so you'll probably be within 5 lb or so of your pre-pregnancy weight. However I have found the final 5lb and the extra inch on the waist to be very hard to shift (my daughter is now 8 months). I don;t really have time to go to the gym or work out, and to be honest I probably don't have the motivation or energy either. Being a Mum is hard work, don't stress about your weight or waisteline too much, try to get out and exercise and be healthy, no one but you is going to notice a few pounds. The first time you and your son make it out to Starbucks on your own, celebrate with a muffin and don't feel guilty - you'll deserve it.
Compared to being pregnant you'll feel so slim and light afterwards anyway.....

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook