Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Alpine & Ice:
Ice screw selection; few experiences (?)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

juho.risku

Apr 9, 2011, 2:40 PM
Post #1 of 7 (4766 views)
Shortcut

Ice screw selection; few experiences (?)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It might be kind of late for this season, but thought that you might be interested of my experiences on different kinds of ice screws. Just finished an article about them. The article is available at: http://www.climbingextreme.com/...t-kind-of-screws/880

The main thing though is that the ice screw selection is not perhaps as straight forward as I used to think, i.e. some work on hard ice, some weight less, some save moves. What do you think? What kind of screws are the best, why and in what conditions? Any further opinions would be highly appreciated. :-)

moose_droppings

Apr 9, 2011, 6:15 PM
Post #2 of 7 (4735 views)
Shortcut

Re: [juho.risku] Ice screw selection; few experiences (?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

juho.risku wrote:
It might be kind of late for this season, but thought that you might be interested of my experiences on different kinds of ice screws. Just finished an article about them. The article is available at: http://www.climbingextreme.com/...t-kind-of-screws/880

The main thing though is that the ice screw selection is not perhaps as straight forward as I used to think, i.e. some work on hard ice, some weight less, some save moves. What do you think? What kind of screws are the best, why and in what conditions? Any further opinions would be highly appreciated. :-)

Thanks for the report. It will be interesting to me to hear what the seasoned players will add.

I've only been in the ice game for a few years now. In my short experience, I appreciate sharp screws that will hold there edge of any kind.

julio412

Apr 11, 2011, 6:22 AM
Post #3 of 7 (4662 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One thing I've done over the years while traveling, is collect ice screws for whatever particular country I was in.
So, in turn,I've had a chance to try out a good variety of screws.
And even though Ice can be narrowed down to two basic types; Water Ice and Alpine Ice, Scottish Ice is different from Russian Ice which is different from Italian Ice which is different from French Ice which is different from North American Ice.
That being said; my preferences are Grivels for Water ice, and Russian,Camp, Salewa BIG BORE Titanium for Alpine ice.
Even though the Titaniums are slower to place, I believe the larger bore provides greater holding power in softer more airy Alpine Ice.
Haven't had a chance to try out the E-climb screws.
Mario

juho.risku

Apr 11, 2011, 7:59 AM
Post #4 of 7 (4647 views)
Shortcut

Re: [julio412] Ice screw selection; few experiences (?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I kind of figured that differences between the screw performance might be related to locations they're made at (i.e. weather + ice conditions there).

Do you have pictures of screws in your collection? I would be intersted of seeing few excotic ones + examples of different types you might have?

gunkiemike

Apr 12, 2011, 12:29 AM
Post #5 of 7 (4604 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

IMO the temperature of the ice (which may NOT be the same as the air temp) is more important that what country it is in. Most any screw can be placed in -2 C water ice, but at -15 or -20 C you'd better have something SHARP, with really aggressive teeth. One slightly burred (dull) tooth and you can spin the screw on the surface for a minute or two without it getting started. So my preferences are Grivels and the newest BDs. Older BDs were really not competitive. Petzls' hanger was annoying as it spins off-center. Omegas had serious quality control and plating issues early on but their gold hanger screws were very good (alas, no longer available)

But any screw that is dull is CRAP.

juho.risku

Apr 12, 2011, 1:50 AM
Post #6 of 7 (4592 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] Ice screw selection; few experiences (?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, the temperature was one of the principal things I had in mind while talkind about the location. Personally I'm usually climbing in conditions that are well below -10, usually -15 and quite often even -25. That's (-20 and more) is what I call hard ice.

The country was more about the typical conditions. And what you get as a result of "typical" conditons.

julio412

Apr 12, 2011, 7:16 AM
Post #7 of 7 (4570 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] Ice screw selection; few experiences (?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, you're absolutely right; I was just mentioning countries that manufactured screws, how they perform in that respective country ,that I had climbed in.
The Spanish ( Faders) manufacured for awhile a very large diameter Aluminum screw( about 2") that was a royal pain in the ass to place.
Sottish ice tends to be a little softer (coastal) if you can find it, so the Mountain Technology screws tend to be hard to place in boiler plate Norwegian,Canadian,Coloradan, Chinese ice.
I kind of remember Chouinard mentioning how crampons were different according to what side of the Alps you were on.I've never climbed in either Germany or Austria,but overall they make decent screws as well.
My collection isn't anything special, but I'll try to get a photo up by the weekend.
It's all in good fun.
Mario

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook