Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Descent/Approach Shoes (I know it's a smiliar thread)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Poll: Descent/Approach Shoes (I know it's a smiliar thread)
Approach Shoes 4 / 31%
Outdoor Sandals (Keens/Chacos/Tevas/Vibrams) 2 / 15%
Flip Flops 2 / 15%
Street Shoes 3 / 23%
Other 2 / 15%
13 total votes

talia

Apr 20, 2011, 4:47 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1881 views)
Shortcut

Descent/Approach Shoes (I know it's a smiliar thread)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm designing a shoe to use for descent/approaches that's not as bulky as your typical approach shoe. I was wondering if you guys wouldnt mind taking my poll to let me know what you typically use as a descent shoe. I'd also love to hear what you like or dislike in a descent shoe, or if you could let me in on what would your ideal descent shoe would be like.

I have a few ideas of my own, but I'd like to get some fresh opinions. I'd really appreciate it.

I know there's a smiliar thread running right now, but maybe this would be helpful to ctjensen24 as well.

Thanks!!

fresh

Apr 20, 2011, 5:26 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1862 views)
Shortcut

Re: [talia] Descent/Approach Shoes (I know it's a smiliar thread) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

in the past I've used a backpack to carry my shoes and I generally find that a pain in the ass. I've also clipped my shoes to my harness but I find that that is a pain in the ass as well. flip-flops are low-profile, but they slip off your feet on the descent too easily, and I stub my toes a lot. I haven't tried keens (they seem bulky), chaco's (a toe box would be nice), or anything else.

if there was a low-profile sandal on the market that are light, low-profile, don't fall off your feet and I won't stub my toes with, I would probably get it.

altelis

Apr 20, 2011, 5:54 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

depends on the descent of course, BUT my experience has been that the biggest limiting factor to using sandals is that when going down long descents w/ steep trails there is too much foot slip (yes even with things like chacos) with each foot fall.

so far my favorite shoe has been the la sport exum ridge. they are really very light (definitely lighter than a pair of chacos!), and the uppers can be pushed down quite well so they pack pretty small. they are very sturdy, support your feet, and scramble/fourth-class like champs. not QUITE a top climber, so they aren't great for "approach" shoes that you'd be able to climb "approach pitches" in. they work well up to ~5.5, but really not much more.

olympicmtnboy

Apr 25, 2011, 3:11 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For approach shoes, see the other threads. If it's a long approach I take shoes for the job and then deal with them on the route, generally in my small backpack because clipping them to my harness sucks.

For things like many Red Rocks routes that have fairly easy approaches that don't require technical scrambling, but may have long descents down gullies I take something else. I've had good luck with "amphibian" type water shoes that Salomon and other make. They are basically a mesh tennis shoe. They work way better than sandals in rocky gullies but because the top is mostly mesh they pack nearly as flat as sandals. Something like these: http://www.salomon.com/...roduct/ta-2-mat.html

They aren't nearly as good for 4th class and easy fifth type things that I'd climb in my other approach shoes, but they back small for climbs where you have to carry them.

keep_it_real

Apr 25, 2011, 4:11 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I use regular shoes for the approach and then bring vibram fivefingers for the walk off. They're super light, agile and fun. You have to watch where your going so as not to kill your feet but I enjoy it. The only time i have problems is on small sharp rocks. Boulder hopping is a blast though.

I would suggest throwing some sticky rubber on the bottom of a racing flat or one of these new minimalist running shoes. This would give a covered shoe with a little more padding then the fivefinger while still being light.

What I'm trying to say is I'd only buy your shoe if it's way lighter than all the other approach shoes out there. There are a lot of good heavier approach shoes on the market already that would be hard to compete with so you might as well try a different approach, eh?

(This post was edited by keep_it_real on Apr 25, 2011, 4:15 AM)

Marc1

Apr 25, 2011, 11:31 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1700 views)
Shortcut

Re: [keep_it_real] Descent/Approach Shoes (I know it's a smiliar thread) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey -

on my second pair of solomons - the main reason i buy them is the strand on the heel which clips nicely onto a crab at back of your harness - wear xa pro 3d ultra - kevlar laces are good idea as they dont get in the way - solomons last o long time - i reckon you'll steel the show with a light breathable upper - compact sole - starnd at back for easy clipping and laces that tuck away one way or the other - wish u well with the design anyways -

marc

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook