RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

enigma

Apr 20, 2011, 8:13 AM
Post #1 of 24 (9891 views)
Shortcut

Longest Climbing Road Trip?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Now its almost summer, and you can climb almost anywhere pretty soon. So if you could just pack up and climb wherever , whenever and all over where would you choose.
Do you think you could like in a van for months, years and just climb?

For those who have been on a long climbing road trip what are the ups and downs?

My longest road trip was 6 months, across the U.S. I had a great time. met many wonderful climbers. Enjoyed both the U.S and Canada. People were generally warm and friendly.
So what has your longest road trip been like? Do you plan on going on one this coming year? Do you miss the average life of work and bills, any concern for being a free of responsibilities?
Share the plus and minus of the Climbing Road Trip Lifestyle.

USnavy

Apr 20, 2011, 8:16 AM
Post #2 of 24 (9890 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Longest Climbing Road Trip? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
Now its almost summer, and you can climb almost anywhere pretty soon. So if you could just pack up and climb wherever , whenever and all over where would you choose.

For those who have been on a long climbing road trip what are the ups and downs?

My longest road trip was 6 months, across the U.S. I had a great time. met many wonderful climbers. Enjoyed both the U.S and Canada. People were generally warm and friendly.
So what has your longest road trip been like? Do you plan on going on one this coming year? Do you miss the average life of work and bills, any concern for being a free of responsibilities?
I dont know, I am trying to figure it out. I have three weeks than I am off on a nine month climbing trip. So far I have Yosemite, RRG, New, Canada, EPC maybe, Indian Creak, Ten Sleep and Spearfish.

enigma

Apr 20, 2011, 8:37 AM
Post #3 of 24 (9876 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Longest Climbing Road Trip? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
enigma wrote:

I dont know, I am trying to figure it out. I have three weeks than I am off on a nine month climbing trip. So far I have Yosemite, RRG, New, Canada, EPC maybe, Indian Creak, Ten Sleep and Spearfish.[/quote

Well, Its sounds like you are going to have a great time, No worries, No bills, No Boss, Freedom.
So many people are stuck in their miserable lives. filled with stress , exhaustion, no time for fun, paying bills.
That dream of a a nice house and family often turns into a prison sentence.
Often their job is torture, filled with deadlines, stress, and very little self-expression.
Sure there are people who love their work. Unfortunately alot of people are miserable and working in toxic environments.
They become both physically sick and emotionally drained. Their only dream is to retire. By then they are unable to enjoy any fun activities.
. By then they are worn out. and often unable to even enjoy a nice vacation. They work there entire lives, and end up with heart attacks, strokes. and cancer.
Or living in a nursing home, or worse. They never get to take their dream vacation and have a wonderful lifestyle. It makes you wonder . Angelic

USnavy

Apr 20, 2011, 8:47 AM
Post #4 of 24 (9873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
USnavy wrote:
enigma wrote:

I dont know, I am trying to figure it out. I have three weeks than I am off on a nine month climbing trip. So far I have Yosemite, RRG, New, Canada, EPC maybe, Indian Creak, Ten Sleep and Spearfish.[/quote

Well, Its sounds like you are going to have a great time, No worries, No bills, No Boss, Freedom.
So many people are stuck in their miserable lives. filled with stress , exhaustion, no time for fun, paying bills.
Often their job is torture, filled with deadlines, stress, and very little self-expression.
Sure there are people who love their work. Unfortunately alot of people are miserable and working in toxic environments.
They become both physically sick and emotionally drained. Their only dream is to retire. By then they are unable to enjoy any fun activities.
. By then they are worn out. and often unable to even enjoy a nice vacation. They work there entire lives, and end up with heart attacks, strokes. and cancer.
Or living in a nursing home, or worse. They never get to take their dream vacation and have a wonderful lifestyle. It makes you wonder . Angelic
Thats why the key to happiness, IMO, is finding a job that will give you a lot of time off to climb. RN... My girlfriend does six days on, eight off with 21 days paid vacation starting out. I would take that job if it only paid $30k a year, that sounds outstanding. APRN, nurse anesthetist sounds like a dream job. You make BANK starting out and you dont need an MD, plus you get loads of time off and you barely even need a resume. Just walk into a hospital and tell them your a CRNA and you have it made.

If medical classes werent so extremely uninteresting, I would be an RN, just tell me where to sign. But I would be bored to death in college learning about the medical field, that stuff is so boring.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Apr 20, 2011, 8:54 AM)

enigma

Apr 20, 2011, 9:03 AM
Post #5 of 24 (9862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
enigma wrote:
USnavy wrote:
enigma wrote:

Thats why the key to happiness, IMO, is finding a job that will give you a lot of time off to climb. RN... My girlfriend does six days on, eight off with 21 days paid vacation starting out. I would take that job if it only paid $30k a year, that sounds outstanding. APRN, nurse anesthetist sounds like a dream job. You make BANK starting out and you dont need an MD, plus you get loads of time off and you barely even need a resume. Just walk into a hospital and tell them your an APRN anesthetist and you have it made.

Maybe if you could live in a beautiful place like the Cayman Islands. or Bermuda.
Without many problems or responsibilities. Perhaps an idyllic happy place where life is wonderful. Like those blue zones. Without any toxic pollution, healthy living, no nuclear reactors.organic farms, a clean ocean sea.

I would enjoy going on a sailboat, and traveling around the world. I think that would be a great experience. Or live in a place with animals in their natural habitat. Where people are good natured, enjoy art , and live off the land.
I'm not too keen on hospitals. They are filled with diseases, and various illness, bacteria. etc.
Even when you visit someone at a hospital you have a greater chance of getting sick just from the environment. Hospitals have various toxic gases in their air, not to mention, all sorts of viruses, and infected blood, and sanitation issues.
No a hospital isn't healthy. people who are healthy often get ill from just the exposure inside.

scottek67

Apr 20, 2011, 9:56 AM
Post #6 of 24 (9844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
enigma wrote:

I dont know, I am trying to figure it out. I have three weeks than I am off on a nine month climbing trip. So far I have Yosemite, RRG, New, Canada, EPC maybe, Indian Creak, Ten Sleep and Spearfish.

that's a little vague... Canada has more than one wall.

(This post was edited by scottek67 on Apr 20, 2011, 1:51 PM)

USnavy

Apr 20, 2011, 10:04 AM
Post #7 of 24 (9840 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scottek67] Longest Climbing Road Trip? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scottek67 wrote:
USnavy wrote:
enigma wrote:

that a little vague... Canada has more than one wall.
Thats because I dont know yet. I am going where ever the multi-pitch sport is, still trying to find out where exactly that is. I am told Canmore.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Apr 20, 2011, 10:05 AM)

altelis

Apr 20, 2011, 11:06 AM
Post #8 of 24 (9833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
enigma wrote:
USnavy wrote:
enigma wrote:

Thats why the key to happiness, IMO, is finding a job that will give you a lot of time off to climb. RN... My girlfriend does six days on, eight off with 21 days paid vacation starting out. I would take that job if it only paid $30k a year, that sounds outstanding. APRN, nurse anesthetist sounds like a dream job. You make BANK starting out and you dont need an MD, plus you get loads of time off and you barely even need a resume. Just walk into a hospital and tell them your a CRNA and you have it made.

If medical classes werent so extremely uninteresting, I would be an RN, just tell me where to sign. But I would be bored to death in college learning about the medical field, that stuff is so boring.

1, I'd be embarassed that Enigma has a better grasp of than and then than you.

2. Your explanation of why nursing is a dream job is why so many people are in jobs they hate. You say nursing is a dream job and then when you explain why, the only thing you list about the job is the schedule and pay. Granted, you recognize what makes the job what it is and acknowledge its not for you. But so many people describe their job as schedule and pay, and then are confused why they are miserable.

Don't give up so easily though, there are PLENTY of jobs under the category of shift work if that's what you're really after...

scottek67

Apr 20, 2011, 11:45 AM
Post #9 of 24 (9829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

okay fair enough... you will like Canmore Canada.

(This post was edited by scottek67 on Apr 20, 2011, 1:54 PM)

granite_grrl

Apr 20, 2011, 12:05 PM
Post #10 of 24 (9818 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
scottek67 wrote:
USnavy wrote:
enigma wrote:

that a little vague... Canada has more than one wall.
Thats because I dont know yet. I am going where ever the multi-pitch sport is, still trying to find out where exactly that is. I am told Canmore.
The Ghost Valley, which is decently close to Calgary and Canmore. I did a little out there, nothing huge....3 or 4 pitches?

Need a 4 wheel drive vehicle to get out of there though.

There's some other multipitch sport here and there in the area, but personally I'd just stick with the single pitch stuff around there.

enigma

Apr 20, 2011, 2:02 PM
Post #11 of 24 (9792 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Longest Climbing Road Trip? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
USnavy wrote:
enigma wrote:
USnavy wrote:
enigma wrote:

Why would you be embarassed? I have a pretty good grasp of everything?
Wink

2. Your explanation of why nursing is a dream job is why so many people are in jobs they hate. You say nursing is a dream job and then when you explain why, the only thing you list about the job is the schedule and pay. Granted, you recognize what makes the job what it is and acknowledge its not for you. But so many people describe their job as schedule and pay, and then are confused why they are miserable.

Don't give up so easily though, there are PLENTY of jobs under the category of shift work if that's what you're really after...

chadnsc

Apr 20, 2011, 2:08 PM
Post #12 of 24 (9785 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
altelis wrote:
USnavy wrote:
enigma wrote:
USnavy wrote:
enigma wrote:

Wink

Except how to use the quote function.

altelis

Apr 20, 2011, 6:49 PM
Post #13 of 24 (9737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:

Goodnight. I'm Ron Burgundy?

potreroed

Apr 20, 2011, 9:02 PM
Post #14 of 24 (9716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know if this counts as one road trip but I was "homeless", living out of my truck, for 8 years. I would always spend the summer in Wisconsin then head west to South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Mexico.

One year I went east instead but it rained everywhere I went so I didn't do that again.

I finally settled down in Mexico and haven't really been anywhere since, except Wisconsin where I spend a few months every summer.

(This post was edited by potreroed on Apr 20, 2011, 9:13 PM)

USnavy

Apr 20, 2011, 9:16 PM
Post #15 of 24 (9703 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scottek67 wrote:
okay fair enough... you will like Canmore Canada.
Whats wrong with Canmore? I was told there is a 22 pitch 5.10d sport route up there.

scottek67

Apr 21, 2011, 4:52 AM
Post #16 of 24 (9645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry I was just trying to be funny. if you've never been to Canmore before you might not want to leave. the area from Kananaskis to Lake Louise is the best Alberta has to offer. (Jasper is worth seeing but further north)
http://www.matthewbuckle.net/.../canadianrockies.php

(This post was edited by scottek67 on Apr 21, 2011, 8:54 AM)

USnavy

Apr 21, 2011, 5:28 AM
Post #17 of 24 (9638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scottek67 wrote:
the area from Kananaskis to Lake Louise is the best Alberta has to offer. (Jasper is worth seeing but further north)
Whats the best Canada has to offer (for sport climbing)?

scottek67

Apr 21, 2011, 6:11 AM
Post #18 of 24 (9632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it's a closely guarded secret so I sent you a PM.Tongue

marc801

Apr 21, 2011, 2:21 PM
Post #19 of 24 (9570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
Whats the best Canada has to offer (for sport climbing)?
Skaha. But nothing longer than one pitch.
Good food, great wine, great lakes and beaches.

Think Napa Valley with the addition of cliffs and a couple of huge lakes.

sandstoned

Apr 21, 2011, 2:29 PM
Post #20 of 24 (9570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oohh, road trip talk. I love it- I've got an indefinite one starting in a few months. I hope I don't end up fukt. Gonna travel east, can you believe it? Who the hell leaves the west to travel back east? Anyway, if anyone wants to show me around the NRG in October...

Shroom

Apr 21, 2011, 7:21 PM
Post #21 of 24 (9512 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
enigma wrote:
USnavy wrote:
enigma wrote:

Nice cheesetit.

Seems like you and enema should search for employment as rookie cops specializing in unsolved cold cases, since by definition that would reinforce your qualifications as clueless n00bs.

enigma

Apr 21, 2011, 8:04 PM
Post #22 of 24 (9499 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by enigma [In reply to]
Report this Post

granite_grrl

Apr 21, 2011, 8:10 PM
Post #23 of 24 (9497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
Shroom wrote:
USnavy wrote:
enigma wrote:
USnavy wrote:
enigma wrote:

Nice cheesetit.

Seems like you and enema should search for employment as rookie cops specializing in unsolved cold cases, since by definition that would reinforce your qualifications as clueless n00bs.

Go Get a boyfriend to stick it up your ASS Laugh

Stay on the topic loser!
You've got quite the fetish, don't you.

enigma

Apr 21, 2011, 8:52 PM
Post #24 of 24 (9487 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Longest Climbing Road Trip? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:
I don't know if this counts as one road trip but I was "homeless", living out of my truck, for 8 years. I would always spend the summer in Wisconsin then head west to South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Mexico.

One year I went east instead but it rained everywhere I went so I didn't do that again.

I finally settled down in Mexico and haven't really been anywhere since, except Wisconsin where I spend a few months every summer.

Cool

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook