RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

tomcecil

Apr 26, 2011, 5:17 AM
Post #1 of 6 (5377 views)
Shortcut

Seneca Rocks is NOT closed
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Seneca Rocks Mt. Guides has been getting many calls from people who think the rocks are closed. They are not. The "Seneca Trail" (aka the tourist trail) to the observation deck on the North Peak is closed until August. The metal arch bridge is also closed. Access to the rocks is gained by using Roy Gap Rd. All "climbers" trails and all parts of the rock are open.

tradmanclimbs

Apr 27, 2011, 3:36 AM
Post #2 of 6 (5279 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tomcecil] Seneca Rocks is NOT closed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What happened to the bridge?

cclarke

Apr 27, 2011, 6:57 PM
Post #3 of 6 (5176 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradmanclimbs] Seneca Rocks is NOT closed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The bridge is still there but the Forest Service put a gate on it while the trail work is happening.

About a month ago the gate had been pulled down but I don't know what the current status is. It's pretty much just as easy to walk across at Roy Gap Rd. as long as the water isn't too high.

scrapedape

May 4, 2011, 6:22 AM
Post #4 of 6 (5050 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cclarke] Seneca Rocks is NOT closed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cclarke wrote:
The bridge is still there but the Forest Service put a gate on it while the trail work is happening.

About a month ago the gate had been pulled down but I don't know what the current status is. It's pretty much just as easy to walk across at Roy Gap Rd. as long as the water isn't too high.

And for what it's worth, I've never seen the causeway on Roy Gap Road flooded. I'm sure it happens, but when it's been raining that hard, you probably don't want to be climbing anyways.

hyhuu

May 4, 2011, 8:16 AM
Post #5 of 6 (5017 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scrapedape] Seneca Rocks is NOT closed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
cclarke wrote:

And for what it's worth, I've never seen the causeway on Roy Gap Road flooded. I'm sure it happens, but when it's been raining that hard, you probably don't want to be climbing anyways.

I've seen it flooded twice. One a couple weeks ago as we've been getting plenty of rain and the other time was when Isabelle passed through.

notapplicable

May 4, 2011, 5:37 PM
Post #6 of 6 (4959 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hyhuu] Seneca Rocks is NOT closed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hyhuu wrote:
scrapedape wrote:
cclarke wrote:

I've seen it flooded twice. One a couple weeks ago as we've been getting plenty of rain and the other time was when Isabelle passed through.

Usually it's low enough to just roll up the pants and cross when flooded but losing your footing would be epic. Especially with a pack on.

Would be hilarious to see someone take that swim!

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook