Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ladyscarlett

Apr 27, 2011, 8:25 AM
Post #1 of 27 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Has my infatuation become love?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (9 ratings)  
Can't Post

In the past few weeks I've be re-thinking as to whether I should continue this whole 'being a climber' thing. It was prompted by a previous month of logistical difficulties that one way or another kept me from climbing.

I've hated that phrase 'kept me from climbing' as it feels so wrong. After all, if I was a REAL climber, if I REALLY loved it, nothing would keep me from climbing, etc...

Often I've described my relationship with climbing as a simple infatuation. It's been about 4 years, and last week, I had the thought...maybe it's over. Maybe I've lost that spark, that chemistry.

Yesterday I got a call from the mountains. Before I realized what I was doing, I had already re-arranged my schedule to fit in a mid-week quickie. In less than 30 seconds, that quickie became a priority. I'm not sure who calls the shots in this relationship, but somehow it never really matters.

I'm still hesitant as I've never really been good at commitment...could it be love?

eh, can't be, I'd need a much bigger rack for something as silly as THAT to happen!

Oh well, at least I get to play with some crack. Wink

Hee hee!

Thanks for reading folks!

Cheers

LS

viciado

Apr 27, 2011, 8:56 AM
Post #2 of 27 (4500 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ladyscarlett] Has my infatuation become love? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Heh heh! For me it is more like existential angst vs addiction. Am I truly free to make my own choices or is the rock/mountains/whatever really in control?

If it's addiction, then the first step is admitting I have a problem! Wink Hello, my name is ________ and I'm a Real Climber. If it is just existential angst, then maybe I shouldn't worry about it, make my own choices, and be satisfied with them. Unsure

edit for spelling

(This post was edited by viciado on Apr 27, 2011, 9:20 AM)

Kstenson

Apr 27, 2011, 9:00 AM
Post #3 of 27 (4499 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Bit of teenage angst there?

Keep it simple, hop on a wall and if you have a good time keep it up but if you're bored or upset by the experience give it up.

Sure, climbings a huge part of my life and I'm pretty crazy about it too.

But when you get to the point where your evaluating the write way to word your emotional connection to it, you need to put away the poetry and climb something.

Partner j_ung

Apr 27, 2011, 11:44 AM
Post #4 of 27 (4474 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

Dunno, LS. I can tell you that over the past 25 years, I have cared less each year about why I climb. I also fret less over those times when I can't get out for whatever reason, and yet I tend to enjoy those times when I can more, even when I don't climb anything difficult.

altelis

Apr 27, 2011, 11:53 AM
Post #5 of 27 (4467 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Has my infatuation become love? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Dunno, LS. I can tell you that over the past 25 years, I have cared less each year about why I climb. I also fret less over those times when I can't get out for whatever reason, and yet I tend to enjoy those times when I can more, even when I don't climb anything difficult.

Excuses of an over-the-hill has-been.....Tongue

blueeyedclimber

Apr 27, 2011, 1:13 PM
Post #6 of 27 (4432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ladyscarlett wrote:
In the past few weeks I've be re-thinking as to whether I should continue this whole 'being a climber' thing. It was prompted by a previous month of logistical difficulties that one way or another kept me from climbing.

I've hated that phrase 'kept me from climbing' as it feels so wrong. After all, if I was a REAL climber, if I REALLY loved it, nothing would keep me from climbing, etc...

Often I've described my relationship with climbing as a simple infatuation. It's been about 4 years, and last week, I had the thought...maybe it's over. Maybe I've lost that spark, that chemistry.

Yesterday I got a call from the mountains. Before I realized what I was doing, I had already re-arranged my schedule to fit in a mid-week quickie. In less than 30 seconds, that quickie became a priority. I'm not sure who calls the shots in this relationship, but somehow it never really matters.

I'm still hesitant as I've never really been good at commitment...could it be love?

eh, can't be, I'd need a much bigger rack for something as silly as THAT to happen!

Hee hee!

Cheers

LS

Just remember.....

If you climax too soon.......

.....then you're a sport climber Wink

Josh

notapplicable

Apr 27, 2011, 1:14 PM
Post #7 of 27 (4429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HaHa! You posts are always a refreshing change from the norm round these parts. Funny stuff.

And don't worry, climbing is a patient mistress. Always ready with open arms and a warm smile to embrace your return. Smile

ENARE

Apr 27, 2011, 2:44 PM
Post #8 of 27 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ladyscarlett wrote:

Hee hee!

Cheers

LS

Great post. I know you are not alone! Something that every person goes through in any sport. I am the same way and could definitely relate.

sungam

Apr 27, 2011, 3:04 PM
Post #9 of 27 (4369 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Has my infatuation become love? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
HaHa! You posts are always a refreshing change from the norm round these parts. Funny stuff.

And don't worry, climbing is a patient mistress. Always ready with open arms and a warm smile to embrace your return. Smile
They always come back(tm)!

donald949

Apr 27, 2011, 3:18 PM
Post #10 of 27 (4351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

ladyscarlett wrote:

Hee hee!

Cheers

LS
Hey, another good one.
But on a related note, I am happy, HAPPY!, when its only been a month since I've last been climbing because of other commitments. Right now the wife has me replacing the floor in the house. :D

notapplicable

Apr 27, 2011, 5:24 PM
Post #11 of 27 (4284 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Has my infatuation become love? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

They always come get back in to it(tm)!

fix

potreroed

Apr 27, 2011, 5:33 PM
Post #12 of 27 (4270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've often found that a month's rest from climbing was beneficial. As your attorney I would advise you to stop over-analyzing and go climb a rock.

ladyscarlett

Apr 27, 2011, 6:27 PM
Post #13 of 27 (4241 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Has my infatuation become love? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm just purely laughing at myself over my ridiculous brain.

I was literally thinking of who I could sell my basic rack to, who would be interested in new-ish shoes etc when I get a call to go climb.

and wham! I'm thinking of who to call to split the gas. Should I try to hustle up some money for that 70M before I go? Which donut shop am I going to stop at on the way up? heh, such a quick change of attitude! Such a fickle heart I have...

Yeah, on this bout of the climbing blues, I wasn't really thinking of WHY I climb, more along the lines of just giving up all hope and getting what little money I could out of my gear.

So now, I'm going to climb something. And I don't even have to settle for plastic! Thank goodness!

Although now that I think of it, if climbing is my Mistress, would this make me gay? But I still like d00ds...I wonder if this means I'm Bi....

whoa! So many possibilities just keep opening up.

Hee hee!

Hopefully The Mistress won't be too angry that I don't like visiting when she's too slick and wet. Wink What can I say, I like a little friction with Her!

Thanks for the encouragement folks.

Cheers

LS

dagibbs

Apr 27, 2011, 6:34 PM
Post #14 of 27 (4237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wet mossy cracks -- that's what climbing is all about!

Toast_in_the_Machine

Apr 27, 2011, 9:51 PM
Post #15 of 27 (4176 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Has my infatuation become love? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
But on a related note, I am happy, HAPPY!, when its only been a month since I've last been climbing because of other commitments. Right now the wife has me replacing the floor in the house. :D

Laminate, hardwood or carpet?

notapplicable

Apr 27, 2011, 11:24 PM
Post #16 of 27 (4140 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ladyscarlett wrote:
Although now that I think of it, if climbing is my Mistress, would this make me gay? But I still like d00ds...I wonder if this means I'm Bi....

whoa! So many possibilities just keep opening up.

The beauty of it is, you can have your cake and eat it too. You just have to be like climbing...omnisexual. Capable of loving and being loved by all.

donald949

Apr 27, 2011, 11:28 PM
Post #17 of 27 (4136 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Has my infatuation become love? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
donald949 wrote:

Pulling up carpet on top of linolium. We have slab. Putting down an updated floating linolium product. We looked around for months trying to decide what we liked. Armstrong traffic master or some such stuff. Simular coating and texture as Laminate, w/o the particle board backing. Which didn't make sence for us with small kids. The two biggest areas we are installing in are the kitchen and dinning room.

potreroed

Apr 28, 2011, 2:29 AM
Post #18 of 27 (4078 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:

Pulling up carpet on top of linolium. We have slab. Putting down an updated floating linolium product. We looked around for months trying to decide what we liked. Armstrong traffic master or some such stuff. Simular coating and texture as Laminate, w/o the particle board backing. Which didn't make sence for us with small kids. The two biggest areas we are installing in are the kitchen and dinning room.

When you get done with all that your wife better let you go on a serious climbing trip!

BumpinUgly

Apr 28, 2011, 2:51 AM
Post #19 of 27 (4068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:

Armstrong Traffic Master: About as useful as a #2C4 on a 9 bolt sport route. Check out IVC Fiberglas Backed Vinyl. It's the shit!

enigma

Apr 28, 2011, 3:38 AM
Post #20 of 27 (4044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:

Hope you are getting paid well for your time. Tongue

Partner j_ung

Apr 28, 2011, 6:23 PM
Post #21 of 27 (3898 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Has my infatuation become love? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
j_ung wrote:

Excuses of an over-the-hill has-been.....Tongue

Better with age, ya bum! Laugh

altelis

Apr 28, 2011, 6:27 PM
Post #22 of 27 (3894 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Has my infatuation become love? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[deep voice] You see, this profession is filled to the brim with unrealistic motherf#ckers. Motherf#ckers who thought their ass would age like wine. If you mean it turns to vinegar, it does. If you mean it gets better with age, it don't. [/deep voice]

I take it then, that you weren't the one who missed the friendly teasing and one starred me?Crazy

PS- I'm just jealous. I've had to learn to fret less over not getting out to climb without 25 yrs under my belt and never even getting up to the top of the hill!

clee03m

Apr 28, 2011, 8:34 PM
Post #23 of 27 (3850 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a baby and pretty much stopped climbing, and was even thinking about selling my gear. Then something clicked in my head, and now I have taken my baby climbing to both the gym and the crag. I have plans to climb this weekend. I fondled my rack for like an hour last week and couldn't believe I had even considered selling it. IMHO, I do have a really pretty, massive rack. I even have the biners and cams color coordinated. Haha, I am also looking at a 70M because my old one passed that 5 year mark. I think I may spring for that bi-pattern one. Hell, I think I deserve one. I just had us a baby, right?

altelis

Apr 29, 2011, 1:48 AM
Post #24 of 27 (3814 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Has my infatuation become love? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
I had a baby and pretty much stopped climbing, and was even thinking about selling my gear. Then something clicked in my head, and now I have taken my baby climbing to both the gym and the crag. I have plans to climb this weekend. I fondled my rack for like an hour last week and couldn't believe I had even considered selling it. IMHO, I do have a really pretty, massive rack. I even have the biners and cams color coordinated. Haha, I am also looking at a 70M because my old one passed that 5 year mark. I think I may spring for that bi-pattern one. Hell, I think I deserve one. I just had us a baby, right?
Ummm... I think you are in a much better position to affirm or deny that point than any of us...Tongue

sungam

Apr 29, 2011, 2:13 PM
Post #25 of 27 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Has my infatuation become love? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
gold dry treated!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook