RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

JakubBujak

May 5, 2011, 7:08 PM
Post #1 of 12 (9811 views)
Shortcut

Tubular Webbing vs Runner/Sling
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is there a benefit to purchasing runners/slings that already sewn loops over buying tubular webbing and making your own slings of various lengths by simply tying a water knot? This suffices for most of the arborist work I do, and I was wondering if the same applies for rock climbing.

swaghole

May 5, 2011, 7:20 PM
Post #2 of 12 (9795 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JakubBujak] Tubular Webbing vs Runner/Sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

The main advantage of sewn slings is that they are less bulky because there is no knot. Sewn slings are also available in materials that are less bulky (thinner and lighter) than nylon and that do not hold knots very well like Dynema or Spectra.

Colinhoglund

May 5, 2011, 7:21 PM
Post #3 of 12 (9792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The main benefit of sewn slings is that they are a lot more compact. I can fit a double length (48) spectra sling bundled in my fist, good luck even getting a half (12) sling made of tubular in your fist. For long wandering routes I carry 11 slings tripped on biners, that would be a nightmare if they were made of tied tubular. I do carry tubular in my pack for rapping of trees and the like since it's cheap and I can tie it.

So if you care about a mess on your harness (trad, Ice, alpine) use sewn spectra or thin sewn nylon. If you don't (Toprope anchors etc) you can use tubular. Hope that helps.

olderic

May 5, 2011, 7:22 PM
Post #4 of 12 (9791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nothing beyond the obvious - the finished sewn product will be trimmer and less bulky. Also if you are using anything more exotic than simple nylon - spectra, Kevlar or any of the variants - then you are dealing with a more slippery material and the integrity of the knots may be sketchy.

bearbreeder

May 5, 2011, 7:30 PM
Post #5 of 12 (9785 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what others have said ... just to add if you have tied slings make sure you check them to make sure the knots are still good every now and then

i prefer sewn as it saves me the worry about the knots ... though of course you still check em occasionally for damage

michael1245

May 5, 2011, 7:58 PM
Post #6 of 12 (9763 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always use my nylong slings first. But I keep plenty of webbing in my pack. Personally, I think it's great stuff. And, since it's so cheap who cares about leaving a few feet of it behind. But yeah, for me it's slings first and then webbing...cut it to size.

JakubBujak

May 6, 2011, 5:00 PM
Post #7 of 12 (9638 views)
Shortcut

Re: [michael1245] Tubular Webbing vs Runner/Sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the responses guys! I am not doing too many long multipitch routes, so I will probably buy a handful of slings and a bunch of cheap tubular webbing. What kind of lengths for slings should I be looking for; that is, would it be easier to use longer factory made slings and shorter tied tubular webbing, or vice versa...

yves

May 6, 2011, 6:24 PM
Post #8 of 12 (9611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure if it is available in the US as I have not seen it very often in the climbing shop ... but tubular webbing has been replaced in a lot of other countries by webbing which is on one single thread (not sure I make myself understood here !) for security reasons (un-threading ... although it was rare).
Tubular or not, I agree with what has been said previously that it is very useful to have some extra sling which you can use in case of emergency (strenghening rappel or belays).

majid_sabet

May 6, 2011, 7:02 PM
Post #9 of 12 (9603 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yves] Tubular Webbing vs Runner/Sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yves wrote:
Not sure if it is available in the US as I have not seen it very often in the climbing shop ... but tubular webbing has been replaced in a lot of other countries by webbing which is on one single thread (not sure I make myself understood here !) for security reasons (un-threading ... although it was rare).
Tubular or not, I agree with what has been said previously that it is very useful to have some extra sling which you can use in case of emergency (strenghening rappel or belays).

tubular webbing is mil specs and a North American thing product and you rarely see it in other countries. In Europe or Asia, its a single thick webbing with several dash or line in the middle and each line represent 1kn.

yves

May 6, 2011, 7:36 PM
Post #10 of 12 (9594 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Tubular Webbing vs Runner/Sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting statement ... sent you a pm.

sspssp

May 6, 2011, 10:09 PM
Post #11 of 12 (9557 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yves] Tubular Webbing vs Runner/Sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yves wrote:

Tubular webbing shows up on a huge spool and the webbing is not always a single, continuous piece. So if you bought, say, 30 feet there might be a splice in the middle where the webbing was only attached with a piece of tape. This caused a few accidents over the years when climbers didn't notice it. If this is no longer done, great.

willwill

May 9, 2011, 1:52 AM
Post #12 of 12 (9450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Look up the beer knot and try it if you tie your own slings. They will still be bulky, but at least the knot won't have tails.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook