Forums: Climbing Information: General:
What is the first few things that come into your head when you hear someone say "Climbing in Scotland"?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sungam

May 9, 2011, 12:14 PM
Post #1 of 40 (6807 views)
Shortcut

What is the first few things that come into your head when you hear someone say "Climbing in Scotland"?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just wondering what people form outside the UK think of climbing in Scotland. What comes to mind? Routes/styles/areas/etc..

granite_grrl

May 9, 2011, 12:22 PM
Post #2 of 40 (6801 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] What is the first few things that come into your head when you hear someone say "Climbing in Scotland"? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sheep.

gblauer

May 9, 2011, 12:22 PM
Post #3 of 40 (6801 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] What is the first few things that come into your head when you hear someone say "Climbing in Scotland"? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rainy and wet.

ncrockclimber

May 9, 2011, 12:30 PM
Post #4 of 40 (6791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose a three-piece suit on hire purchase in a range of fucking fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pissing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourselves. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?

(This post was edited by ncrockclimber on May 9, 2011, 12:31 PM)

sungam

May 9, 2011, 12:30 PM
Post #5 of 40 (6788 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] What is the first few things that come into your head when you hear someone say "Climbing in Scotland"? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
Sheep.
Better then goats MadMadMadMad

granite_grrl

May 9, 2011, 12:37 PM
Post #6 of 40 (6781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
Sheep.
I think we told you not to sleep in the goat field.

Just saying.

binrat

May 9, 2011, 12:41 PM
Post #7 of 40 (6778 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] What is the first few things that come into your head when you hear someone say "Climbing in Scotland"? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Classic bold trad routes in rugged areas unlike most crags in North America.

sungam

May 9, 2011, 12:44 PM
Post #8 of 40 (6774 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
sungam wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
Sheep.
I think we told you not to sleep in the goat field.

Just saying.
Yeah, and I should have listened. Fukken goats!

sbaclimber

May 9, 2011, 12:51 PM
Post #9 of 40 (6764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ice....but not the good kind. I mean frozen clumps of grass. Pirate

edge

May 9, 2011, 1:00 PM
Post #10 of 40 (6759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Just wondering what people form outside the UK think of climbing in Scotland. What comes to mind? Routes/styles/areas/etc..

As a 15 year old who was afraid of heights, my first climbing "idol" was Dougal Haston. I read everything I could find about his exploits and was particularly fond of Robin Smith's account "The Bat And The Wicked" about their route on the Carn Dearg Buttress of Ben Nevis.

Since then my mental image of Scottish climbing is one of hard, run-out adventure climbing on semi-alpine terrain, sometimes on verglassed and rime coated faces.

Something like these:

I'll also throw in Hammish MacInnes, pterodactyls, heather, and peat bogs as images.

(This post was edited by edge on May 9, 2011, 1:55 PM)

skiclimb

May 9, 2011, 1:48 PM
Post #11 of 40 (6723 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ben Nevis
Bad Weather

ceebo

May 9, 2011, 2:09 PM
Post #12 of 40 (6704 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skiclimb] What is the first few things that come into your head when you hear someone say "Climbing in Scotland"? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

4 things i think of.

1st is the crazy fucker billy, reminding us what a MAN is.

2nd, the movie brave heart, and how inaccurate it is... (why to this day do we need to be lied to just to make things more interesting?o0)

3rd, toilets you can swim in.

4th... boyle, both of them..

Im sure climbing comes in around this point Cool

(This post was edited by ceebo on May 9, 2011, 2:10 PM)

olderic

May 9, 2011, 2:30 PM
Post #13 of 40 (6687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Ben
Beer

amyas

May 9, 2011, 2:47 PM
Post #14 of 40 (6667 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ben Nevis, the guy that works the climbing section in the Edmonton MEC, and being scared as shit the whole trip if i ever make it there

donald949

May 9, 2011, 3:56 PM
Post #15 of 40 (6631 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Climbing inside on real rocks.

rtwilli4

May 9, 2011, 4:18 PM
Post #16 of 40 (6604 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ncrockclimber] What is the first few things that come into your head when you hear someone say "Climbing in Scotland"? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ncrockclimber wrote:
Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose a three-piece suit on hire purchase in a range of fucking fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pissing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourselves. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?

I hope at least one other person here knows where that's from!

sungam, I think of people swinging axes into frozen dirt.

TarHeelEMT

May 9, 2011, 4:19 PM
Post #17 of 40 (6602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bold, classic, and relatively low altitude alpine climbs with terrible weather.

shockabuku

May 9, 2011, 5:10 PM
Post #18 of 40 (6562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This guy:

Colinhoglund

May 9, 2011, 5:26 PM
Post #19 of 40 (6549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What do I think of? Well lets see . . .

Horrible weather
Shitty gear
Awesome climbing
And Men with big balls

And lastly the section on Ben Nevis from On Sight comes to mind. Looks like epic climbing! Perhaps I'll come over and scare my self silly someday.

jeepnphreak

May 9, 2011, 5:49 PM
Post #20 of 40 (6537 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:

If you are wearing a Kilt I am not belaying you!

kachoong

May 9, 2011, 5:56 PM
Post #21 of 40 (6530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:

Smears of ice, whiteouts, sea stacks and calloused ball sacks.

potreroed

May 9, 2011, 6:00 PM
Post #22 of 40 (6525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mixed routes in full conditions.

blueeyedclimber

May 9, 2011, 6:47 PM
Post #23 of 40 (6494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:

There's climbing in Scotland?

climbingtrash

May 9, 2011, 8:26 PM
Post #24 of 40 (6452 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Golfing in kilts. Can't say I even knew there was climbing in Scotland.

TradEddie

May 10, 2011, 12:43 AM
Post #25 of 40 (6380 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Bat.

Midges.

Miserable weather.

But I'm Irish, we've got two of those three.

TE

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook