Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Trad Climbing:
Trad climbing, what's in a name?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

shockabuku

May 12, 2011, 3:19 PM
Post #201 of 287 (6612 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jacques] Trad climbing, what's in a name? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jacques wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
wmfork wrote:
Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
This is wrong. Not on the sense that sport climbing can't help with trad skills, it's also easier to be confident 15 feet above you last piece on a 5.12 when you can handle 5.13 moves consistently.

Top roping is hard on overhanging, so they place bolt and practice the move with bolt. is it sport or top roping? it is a kind of training. When you did a run out of twenty feet in trad, it is a sport cliff of 40 feet. it is completey useless to discuss a continuity sport to trad. In France, the distance between the bolt of 5.11 climber is 20 feet...and the crux is some time at the end (take it or leave it). In fact, they bring people from a sport ethic to a trad ethic to scare the climber. In a dangerous environment a stopper is always less safe than a bolt and if you always fall on bolt, you must be scary. The ethic is to lower the confidence of the climber so they can not trad climb.

Training is a question of strenght, stretching, proprioseption capacity and, for trad, psychological capacity to sustain the stress of a fall without be sure at 100% of your pro. The most important to know is what is your weakness. Maybe your stopper is not as good as you think. A discussion on how to become a 5.12 to 5.13 climber is useless as very few people can train/climb more than 25 hours per week.

For posteriority.

It appears someone missed a closing quote.

jacques

May 12, 2011, 4:20 PM
Post #202 of 287 (6590 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Trad climbing, what's in a name? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:

I missed two of them. I made the corection.

(This post was edited by jacques on May 12, 2011, 4:21 PM)

IsayAutumn

May 12, 2011, 4:20 PM
Post #203 of 287 (6590 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Trad climbing, what's in a name? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Something tells me Tom Cecil knows a little more about trad climbing than you do, cracklover. His is the most useful definition I've seen on this thread. The rest of the thread has been very useful at wasting my time.

kaizen

May 12, 2011, 4:45 PM
Post #204 of 287 (6577 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xtrmecat] Trad climbing, what's in a name? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

9 pages of posts, and I still have no idea what trad climbing is.

Trying to come up with a definition for trad climbing seems like an effort in figuring out what trad climbing isn't, rather than what it really is. And I'm starting to think that, like j_ung said, trad climbing doesn't really exist.

It's not sport climbing. It's not hang-dogging. It's not bolted anchors. It's not done using redpoint tactics (or is it?).

Just like everything else, as the world turns things change. People try to create a static image of what that world was and how it can be preserved, but in the end the world is dynamic, along with the definition of trad climbing. I think it's time that the term takes a dirt nap, or people accept that it's an evolving phrase with an evolving set of defitions, much like religion or sport.

Maybe the term trad climbing should leave our lexicon in place of terms that already exist, or opening the door for new ones.

Toast_in_the_Machine

May 12, 2011, 6:14 PM
Post #205 of 287 (6553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jacques wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

I missed two of them. I made the corection.

It is still cheezetitted. That want my quote.

guangzhou

May 13, 2011, 12:38 AM
Post #206 of 287 (6525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
jacques wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
wmfork wrote:
Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
This is wrong. Not on the sense that sport climbing can't help with trad skills, it's also easier to be confident 15 feet above you last piece on a 5.12 when you can handle 5.13 moves consistently.

Top roping is hard on overhanging, so they place bolt and practice the move with bolt. is it sport or top roping? it is a kind of training. When you did a run out of twenty feet in trad, it is a sport cliff of 40 feet. it is completey useless to discuss a continuity sport to trad. In France, the distance between the bolt of 5.11 climber is 20 feet...and the crux is some time at the end (take it or leave it). In fact, they bring people from a sport ethic to a trad ethic to scare the climber. In a dangerous environment a stopper is always less safe than a bolt and if you always fall on bolt, you must be scary. The ethic is to lower the confidence of the climber so they can not trad climb.

Training is a question of strenght, stretching, proprioseption capacity and, for trad, psychological capacity to sustain the stress of a fall without be sure at 100% of your pro. The most important to know is what is your weakness. Maybe your stopper is not as good as you think. A discussion on how to become a 5.12 to 5.13 climber is useless as very few people can train/climb more than 25 hours per week.

For posteriority.

First, France does still have some none botled routes. Second, many routes in France have bolts more than 20 feet apart. Don't believe me, take a trip to Verdon Gorge.

I personally don't think trad placement are more dangerous than bolts. Actually, when I first started clipping bolts, I found bolts much scarier than gear. Your reference to a stopper being more dangerous than a bolt makes me wonder how often you actually climb gear protected routes. I am only guessing, but I assume rarely.

I trust my gear placements 100%. The only reason I climb slightly harder when routes are completely bolted is that the sport routes are faster to climb, it's almost continuous movement. I don't have to slow down to think about placing the protection.

Falling on well placed gear is very safe. Actually, unless I place the bolt myself, I have no idea how good it really is and I have to trust someone else's work.

Maybe the reason you don't trust gear as much as bolts is because you don't have as much experience placing trad gear.

I agree, climbing is largely Psychological. This is the main reason I think hard sport climbing is useful to hard trad climbing. If you're confident pulling well protected 5.13 moves, you're move likely to be comfortable on a run-out 5.12 move. Yes, they are other factors involved, but the harder the move is for you, the more likely you are to get scared about falling off. So, being able to do a 5.13 moves means you less like to notice or think a 5.12 move as hard.

By the way, I don't climb 25 hour week consistently, I still manage a few 5.13 sport routes every year. I also don't remember anyone mentioning ab=anything about becoming a 5.13 climber.

cchas

May 13, 2011, 12:57 PM
Post #207 of 287 (6501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with guangzhou about the psychological side of climbng. Assuming a climber is experienced and isn't alpine climbing, if they get hurt its usually because of making multiple bad choices in 95% of the cases and in 5% bad luck. With the redundancy and quality of todays gear, to have something go terribly wrong requires several bad decisions.

Personally, among experienced climberss I think way too many leave way too much on the table. Myself, I'm an old fart with a full time job and full time responsibilities but I am still getting out onto 5.13 trad routes on a frequent basis. Mainly because I have had partners who have showed me that I should be getting out onto first 5.10's and then 5.11's and then 5.12's and then 5.13's. I personally think way more people should be able to get them, except they don't believe that they should be.

jacques

May 13, 2011, 1:22 PM
Post #208 of 287 (6498 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cchas] Trad climbing, what's in a name? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cchas wrote:
I agree with guangzhou about the psychological side of climbng. Assuming a climber is experienced and isn't alpine climbing, if they get hurt its usually because of making multiple bad choices in 95% of the cases and in 5% bad luck. With the redundancy and quality of todays gear, to have something go terribly wrong requires several bad decisions.

I agree with both of you, I use hex and nut for twenty year and I climb 5.10. I just buy cam five years ago.

On the other side, can we say that those who learn to climb bolt have more problem to find good placement because they look for somethink obvious and becaums they climb hard before learning to protect.

Someone who learn trad before sport have to protect the route well. So, they climb less harder, but they make more god decision because they have time to think at what is a good placement and what is not a good placement.

rangerrob

May 13, 2011, 3:48 PM
Post #209 of 287 (6481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Overall this is been one of the best discussions I have seen on this website in a long time. It's clear that people have wildly varying definitions of traditional climbing. In the end though, does it really matter what it actually means? As long as we treat the cliff with the respect it deserves, treat each other with respect, and have fun, then who really cares.

By the way Chas...I tried the "I'm just going to climb harder" philosophy last year. It worked on ice, but on rock I just wound up falling more. Granted I didn't upgrade my partners ability, so there's that sense that I'm really being out there still. My approach to climbing this year is "you fall on basically everything, so you may as well get on those really good routes and fall on them!" here I come Supper's Ready and VMC Direct!

redlude97

May 13, 2011, 4:18 PM
Post #210 of 287 (6472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jacques wrote:
cchas wrote:

I agree with both of you, I use hex and nut for twenty year and I climb 5.10. I just buy cam five years ago.

On the other side, can we say that those who learn to climb bolt have more problem to find good placement because they look for somethink obvious and becaums they climb hard before learning to protect.

Someone who learn trad before sport have to protect the route well. So, they climb less harder, but they make more god decision because they have time to think at what is a good placement and what is not a good placement.
No. you keep trying to put trad climbing on some type of pedestal, but it really isn't. You aren't better than anyone else. IME people who are sport climbers who get into trad progress much faster than those who start with trad alone. Sport climbers have already developed quite a repertoire of climbing skills which translate well to trad. They in general are less pumped, have a better head while finding placements and understand resting better than complete noobs. If your argument that a climber with 2 years of experience strictly trad climbing is a better trad climber than a climber with 2 years experience split between sport and trad, then DUH thanks for stating the obvious.

(This post was edited by redlude97 on May 13, 2011, 4:54 PM)

jacques

May 13, 2011, 8:01 PM
Post #211 of 287 (6441 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] Trad climbing, what's in a name? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
No. you keep trying to put trad climbing on some type of pedestal, but it really isn't. [..] If your argument that a climber with 2 years of experience strictly trad climbing is a better trad climber than a climber with 2 years experience split between sport and trad, then DUH thanks for stating the obvious.

I let the people decide what is best for them. i decide for me that trad is more interesting and I present the ethic I follow because i found it more ineresting than bouldering or aid. I gave an alternatiive to it.

Take a rumney climber of 5.11 and bring it to a hard to protect trad!!! Not sure.

Don't do that, climbing is dangerous and I will agree anythink if you just don't risk your life to proove that sport is better than trad.

jt512

May 13, 2011, 8:14 PM
Post #212 of 287 (6437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (9 ratings)  
Can't Post

jacques wrote:

I've lost count of the number of posts you've made trying to rationalize why you don't climb hard. The answer is simple, really: you're weak.

Jay

cchas

May 14, 2011, 3:28 AM
Post #213 of 287 (6413 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] Trad climbing, what's in a name? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rangerrob wrote:
Overall this is been one of the best discussions I have seen on this website in a long time. It's clear that people have wildly varying definitions of traditional climbing. In the end though, does it really matter what it actually means? As long as we treat the cliff with the respect it deserves, treat each other with respect, and have fun, then who really cares.

By the way Chas...I tried the "I'm just going to climb harder" philosophy last year. It worked on ice, but on rock I just wound up falling more. Granted I didn't upgrade my partners ability, so there's that sense that I'm really being out there still. My approach to climbing this year is "you fall on basically everything, so you may as well get on those really good routes and fall on them!" here I come Supper's Ready and VMC Direct!

Thats way cool. I figure its all good if you see a line the gets you psych'ed, (which for me means a perfect crack without defects, wait, a crack is a defect, or is in a stunning position). If you do what is stunning and at times you step outside of who you thought you were and do something that that is better then you thought you could, its all good. Especially, if you can laugh and have beers with your partners and friends afterwords.

(This post was edited by cchas on May 14, 2011, 3:28 AM)

enigma

May 14, 2011, 4:37 AM
Post #214 of 287 (6405 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Trad climbing, what's in a name? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
cracklover wrote:

rgold wrote:
Anyone who doubted my claim that without such discussions, trad climbing will just turn into sport climbing has only to read the responses in this thread to see truth of the assertion.

Well, I was skeptical of that claim when you said it, and still am. I agree that this thread contains a lot of confusion, as well as a certain number of people for whom traditional climbing is such a foreign concept that even when explained in several ways, they cannot seem to get it.

But be that as it may, it's a big leap to say that that shows that sport climbing will overrun trad unless old farts speak up to stop it.

Yeah, it's a bit of a stretch. For one thing, young farts will be needed and have always responded too. It took a whole village to stop Tony Lama from rap bolting Cerro Torre. Who would ever have thought modern climbers would contrive to climb in a worse style than Cesare Maestri?

It is abundantly clear that there are quite a lot of people out there with operating definitions of trad climbing that are tenuously related to traditional climbing at best, and many of these people have not made any kind of conscious choice to modify the old definitions, they don't know and never have known what the definitions are (or were).

That's where the old farts come in. And don't forget I've already stipulated that the old farts are doomed to fail in their efforts to preserve tradition, as they always have (with perhaps the notable exception of the Elbsandsteingebirge and analogous areas in Eastern Europe).

In reply to:
With all due respect, I think your impression is based on the fallacy that folks who learned to climb after sport climbing started can never get the appeal on their own.

With all due respect, you don't know what my impressions are based on and are constructing straw man fallacies to debunk.

In reply to:
I strongly believe that trad climbs speak for themselves, and resonate with a certain group of people. As long as there are trad climbs, new climbers will be inspired by them, and will want to dedicate themselves to learn the skills required to do them, and will then want to go out and find other places to put those skills to the test. So more trad lines will continue to go up.

I do think there's a lot of truth in those words. But those who resonate may be increasingly outnumbered by those who do not. And the notion of what makes a trad line will continue to change, as it has already. How many "trad" routes in Yosemite and Red Rock have bolts at every belay, speeding up the ascent, requiring less gear be carried, and making it nearly trivial to bail at any point?

In reply to:
I also think that you fail to realize that while there are many sport climbers who don't know much about trad climbing, most of them do have a fair degree of respect for it. Certainly enough to leave those lines, past and future, for the climbers who are interested in doing them.

I guess we'd need some currently unavailable statistics to settle the "enough" claim. I know of a number of trad lines that have been bolted (I can't say whether by "sport" climbers or "trad" climbers). In Europe, especially in Switzerland, a huge number of trad lines have had bolts added to them and many new lines have been bolted with absolutely no regard for whether they might be done in traditional style.

In reply to:
Most modern climbers have little difficulty seeing a world in which both disciplines can coexist fairly well.

Well, in Europe there are serious conflicts between the militant bolters and those struggling to preserve trad areas. Here is a snippet of a post on Super Topo by Luca Signorelli that gives a sense of the situation over there.

"Then there's http://www.gulliver.it...the forum is the general HQ of the local "Militant Bolting Brigade". Check some of the threads there (those with the word "trad" in it) and with the help of Google Translator you'll read some very silly stuff. It's all very conservative in a sort of extreme way ("conservative" here means "pro bolt") but there's a lot of very knowledgeable people posting there, so as long as you don't mention trad climbing and cams they will help you."

In any case, tolerance for the coexistence of disciplines could only be real if "most modern climbers" had a clear understanding of the disciplines that are supposed to coexist. This thread, if nothing else, proves no such understanding exists.

In reply to:
It most certainly isn't required that you cut your teeth in the 70s to love trad climbing.

Nobody said that.

True !

Kstenson

May 14, 2011, 12:35 PM
Post #215 of 287 (6358 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Trad climbing, what's in a name? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

To illustrate your point, I'm a relatively new climber who started entirely in the gym and live in a country and region completely dominated by sport climbing.

Despite all that and free from the influence of "old farts speaking up to stop it" I still find Trad climbing really appealing

healyje

May 14, 2011, 9:03 PM
Post #216 of 287 (6339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was kind of a brutal work week - I'll try to catch up on all this over the weekend...

guangzhou

May 15, 2011, 2:26 AM
Post #217 of 287 (6327 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Trad climbing, what's in a name? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
It was kind of a brutal work week - I'll try to catch up on all this over the weekend...

it will be nice to have you back in the conversation.

jacques

May 15, 2011, 3:48 AM
Post #218 of 287 (6320 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kstenson] Trad climbing, what's in a name? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kstenson wrote:
Despite all that and free from the influence of "old farts speaking up to stop it" I still find Trad climbing really appealing

What did you find different between trad and sport? As a new climber, do you understand the difference? And how the sport climber intervention help you to understand that difference.

Kstenson

May 15, 2011, 5:15 AM
Post #219 of 287 (6312 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't trad climbed yet because as I said my region is dominated by Sport climbing but I definitely want to in the future.

Im pretty sure I understand the difference and sorry I don't understand what you trying to ask with the last question?

jt512

May 15, 2011, 4:52 PM
Post #220 of 287 (6279 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kstenson] Trad climbing, what's in a name? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kstenson wrote:
Im pretty sure I understand the difference and sorry I don't understand what you trying to ask with the last question?

He asked whether you were helped by the sport climber intervention, a secret program modeled after other successful cult-intervention programs to help trad climbers overcome their addiction to low-angle moderate climbing. Jacque asking you about it is just him reaching out for help in his own way.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on May 16, 2011, 6:10 AM)

JimTitt

May 15, 2011, 6:19 PM
Post #221 of 287 (6270 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Trad climbing, what's in a name? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Neat

tomcecil

May 15, 2011, 6:38 PM
Post #222 of 287 (6270 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Trad climbing, what's in a name? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

then there must be a Trad climbers intervention?- another secret program modeled after other successful cult-intervention programs to help sport climbers overcome the delusions of grandeur created by pretending that eliminating the need to place gear or route find does not completely change the nature of the game and consequently allow the delusion that something harder or better is being created in the process.

Tom

Partner rgold

May 15, 2011, 8:21 PM
Post #223 of 287 (6258 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] Trad climbing, what's in a name? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rangerrob wrote:
Overall this is been one of the best discussions I have seen on this website in a long time. It's clear that people have wildly varying definitions of traditional climbing. In the end though, does it really matter what it actually means? As long as we treat the cliff with the respect it deserves, treat each other with respect, and have fun, then who really cares!

A nice observation and an astute one. The thread seems to have steered clear of the name-calling, trolling and flaming that totally ruin so many internet discussions.

As for whether it actually matters what trad means, I think there are two aspects. All the stuff about dogging or not dogging and all other ways of eliminating both the unknown and the level of risk may be important to some people (I've obviously made something of a fuss over it), but as matters of style that do not change the nature of the climbs themselves, such things only matter....if you think they matter. In other words, they have to do with what you personally feel is a "legitimate" accomplishment, and surely everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

But the other aspect has to do with what happens to the rock, which is a finite resource. One of the things at the core of trad climbing is dealing with what nature has offered or not offered. Sport climbing is completely different in this regard.

Although the sport climber usually (chipping and comfortizing are exceptions) deals with what nature provides in terms of holds, there is no analogous viewpoint about protection, which is usually installed so as to make the climbing as safe as climbing can be. The creation of sport climbs is typically viewed as a community service, and the creator has obligations to the community to provide a safe and enjoyable experience.

Trad climbs are not ``created'' in an analogous way, in spite of the arguments years ago that used that term. They are, or at least I think they should be, what nature has created, not what man has carved out of the raw material nature provided. If they are risky, that is part of the environment. The first ascender of a trad route is not a service provider for the climbing community, they are an adventurer who has passed a certain way, and who has hopefully left it as it was for others.

The general principle seems to me to be clear enough, but is, of course, clouded by the use of bolts on trad climbs. In the case of bolted protection, this is the one place where I think considerations of style enter the equation, and the issue, which I don't think will never be resolved among climbers, is how adventurous the ascent was.

My personal opinion is that there is very little more adventurous than heading up a steep crackless wall with a hammer and hand drill without any clue about where one might be able to stop and drill, and I think routes done that way are as trad as they get. I'm prepared to go further and say that ground-up ascents of even steeper crackless walls that employ hooks for aid in placing bolts are analogously adventurous and still deserve to be viewed as trad climbing. Once more elaborate direct aid techniques are employed or top ropes are used to place even a single bolt, it isn't trad climbing any more in my book.

And finally, steep crags that have lots of cracks, even if the cracks are not always ideally situated, should just be left bolt-free for a new generation of better climbers who may also have new types of more effective protection equipment. This is a simple matter of respecting the restraint of past generations and not greedily gobbling up every inch of climbable rock so that there is nothing left for the future.

This leaves the question of bolted belays, which doesn't seem to be controversial, but which massively alter the adventurousness of climbs, especially longer ones. These stations allow climbers to move faster, carry smaller racks (with natural belay anchors the party might have to use six to eight of their pieces up on belay stances), and retreat with impunity from anywhere on the climb.

A climb with all bolted belays really isn't a trad climb, although here I think I might be really in a seriously isolated minority. Moreover, the elimination of any real commitment factor draws all kinds of incompetent parties as well as late-starters and others who don't intend to do the whole route, creating an endless carnival atmosphere replete with fusterclucks all up and down the line.

If it is trad, then it is a modern version that has lost much of its contact with the exploration of wilderness that was once at the heart of climbing, and has replaced those origins with the congestion and bad vibes of our crowded freeways and public transportation systems. If the modern trad climber is searching for the same type of experience they get on an LA freeway at rush hour, then bolting all stances is what they want and need. Anyone else is out of luck.

jacques

May 15, 2011, 9:54 PM
Post #224 of 287 (6236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
rangerrob wrote:
Overall this is been one of the best discussions I have seen on this website in a long time. It's clear that people have wildly varying definitions of traditional climbing.

I agree with some of what you said. in fact, in a scale from one to ten, each person can say that he is more trad or more sport and it doesn't matter really for anybody if you are 40% or 60% trad or sport.

The only exception is the commentary of jt512. It is boring to be insult by those guy (you are weak, secret exercise, etc). Many new cimber, as they want to be "in a group" will follow those good climber who need to denigrate other people for an unknow reason.

Other way, some people will prefer to do trad and, when they will not be able to progress or climb over there stopper, will do sport. Other will prefer to sport climb and when they will climb most of the route in sport, will learn how to protect a route. It is a question of choice.

Can we gave the choice to the climber to evolve in one or the other direction or should we control each climber to be sure that they will be able to climb like jt512 one day. I am not sure if my girl friend will like that. For some people, climbing is going in a steep section of a cliff for many hour in good company, but it can be also to climb at our limit with others of your friends. Is it trad climbing or should they climb on crimp harder and harder to the point that it is like a work...

I think that it is very important that the people know that trad climbing is a different ethic than sport and, in most case, it is more dangerous because you have to decide what to do to be safe.

guangzhou

May 16, 2011, 3:07 AM
Post #225 of 287 (6194 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome back RG. I agree with what you posted in genral.

rgold wrote:
rangerrob wrote:
Overall this is been one of the best discussions I have seen on this website in a long time. It's clear that people have wildly varying definitions of traditional climbing. In the end though, does it really matter what it actually means? As long as we treat the cliff with the respect it deserves, treat each other with respect, and have fun, then who really cares!

A nice observation and an astute one. The thread seems to have steered clear of the name-calling, trolling and flaming that totally ruin so many internet discussions.

This has impressed me the most. I was very surprised this thread had not gone south yet. A couple of times, felt like we were headed that way, but someone posted something that brought everything back on track.

Unfortunately for most of you, threads like this are the reason I hang around. Every now and than, a good conversation arises here.

In reply to:
As for whether it actually matters what trad means, I think there are two aspects. All the stuff about dogging or not dogging and all other ways of eliminating both the unknown and the level of risk may be important to some people (I've obviously made something of a fuss over it), but as matters of style that do not change the nature of the climbs themselves, such things only matter....if you think they matter. In other words, they have to do with what you personally feel is a "legitimate" accomplishment, and surely everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

But the other aspect has to do with what happens to the rock, which is a finite resource. One of the things at the core of trad climbing is dealing with what nature has offered or not offered. Sport climbing is completely different in this regard.

Here, I am a bit off. I think trad climbers in general believe they are not altering the environment, but when you really look at what the routes look like versus the non climbed section of cliff, it's obvious we're damaging the rock. Walk up to any well traveled route in Yosemite and compare the face to a granite face that sees no traffic and you'll see the impact.

While crack climbing looks low impact, I've put up several cracks that needed large amount of dirt, shrubs,a nd bushes removed. A route I put up ten years ago had abelay tree for pitch 4, now the tree is dead from so many climbers using it as an anchor.

If I had the choice today, I would have put a two bolt belay next to tree to protect the tree more.

In reply to:
Although the sport climber usually (chipping and comfortizing are exceptions) deals with what nature provides in terms of holds, there is no analogous viewpoint about protection, which is usually installed so as to make the climbing as safe as climbing can be. The creation of sport climbs is typically viewed as a community service, and the creator has obligations to the community to provide a safe and enjoyable experience.

I think chipping has been accepted as not legit in general. With that said, some heavy cleaning can come very close to chipping for sure.

In reply to:
Trad climbs are not ``created'' in an analogous way, in spite of the arguments years ago that used that term. They are, or at least I think they should be, what nature has created, not what man has carved out of the raw material nature provided. If they are risky, that is part of the environment. The first ascender of a trad route is not a service provider for the climbing community, they are an adventurer who has passed a certain way, and who has hopefully left it as it was for others.

More or less agree with you here. I do think a good trad route is a service to the community. Let's face it, routes that are documented are more likely to be repeated by the community. A route that has been climbed before is more likely to ascent than a bare cliff. I wonder what percentage of climbers actually put up routes. I would guess 10% of climbers put up 90% of the routes. Sport and trad.

In reply to:
The general principle seems to me to be clear enough, but is, of course, clouded by the use of bolts on trad climbs. In the case of bolted protection, this is the one place where I think considerations of style enter the equation, and the issue, which I don't think will never be resolved among climbers, is how adventurous the ascent was.

Very true.My personal opinion is that there is very little more adventurous than heading up a steep crackless wall with a hammer and hand drill without any clue about where one might be able to stop and drill, and I think routes done that way are as trad as they get. I'm prepared to go further and say that ground-up ascents of even steeper crackless walls that employ hooks for aid in placing bolts are analogously adventurous and still deserve to be viewed as trad climbing. Once more elaborate direct aid techniques are employed or top ropes are used to place even a single bolt, it isn't trad climbing any more in my book.
I agree. One thing many people don't realize is how often a trad climb is actually crackless. Personally, I love this aspect of first ascents. I have to admit, it's not only an adventure, but it also adds tot he fear factor.

In reply to:
And finally, steep crags that have lots of cracks, even if the cracks are not always ideally situated, should just be left bolt-free for a new generation of better climbers who may also have new types of more effective protection equipment. This is a simple matter of respecting the restraint of past generations and not greedily gobbling up every inch of climbable rock so that there is nothing left for the future.

Again, I think bolted routes are much greyer to define as sport and trad. A few of my, hard for me, sport routes were put up with drilling on lead, hanging from hooks. I still don't consider those trad climbs today. I will say, my trad climbing skills, and my aid climbing skills, have been very useful in the development of new routes. (Sport or trad)

In reply to:
This leaves the question of bolted belays, which doesn't seem to be controversial, but which massively alter the adventurousness of climbs, especially longer ones. These stations allow climbers to move faster, carry smaller racks (with natural belay anchors the party might have to use six to eight of their pieces up on belay stances), and retreat with impunity from anywhere on the climb.

Bolted belays. No doubt they reduce the adventure and commitment level in my book. Don't believe me, check out the well traveled trad routes on El-cap versus the less traveled. The less bolted belays they are, the less traffic the route seems to see.

In reply to:
A climb with all bolted belays really isn't a trad climb, although here I think I might be really in a seriously isolated minority. Moreover, the elimination of any real commitment factor draws all kinds of incompetent parties as well as late-starters and others who don't intend to do the whole route, creating an endless carnival atmosphere replete with fusterclucks all up and down the line.

I agree there is less commitment, but I don't agree it's not a trad climb.

In reply to:
If it is trad, then it is a modern version that has lost much of its contact with the exploration of wilderness that was once at the heart of climbing, and has replaced those origins with the congestion and bad vibes of our crowded freeways and public transportation systems. If the modern trad climber is searching for the same type of experience they get on an LA freeway at rush hour, then bolting all stances is what they want and need. Anyone else is out of luck.

I agree, not every belay needs to be bolted, but as mentioned above, I think sometimes, a bolted belay is better.

The basalt cliff I am developing this year, the first route had bolted belays, but only because the line needed to be rappelled. Most of the other routes won't have bnotled belays. We may add another Rap route or two, but not much more.

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook